12y 1m 3d FTF

DeepButi

An amazing feat - thanks for sharing! A true 5/5 conquest. B)

And obviously you are the true FTF winner, not the recent throwdown person. B)

But enough about you - many are wondering why I didn't go after this cache. :lol: I didn't like the guideline violations. :o First, there was food as swag. I guess it stayed frozen, but still....

- 9 chocolate medallions - ca 14 candys - 3 bags of Lipton tea -

Second, it pushed an agenda - the Estonian Puppet Theater - with the name & with FTF tickets. :o

:laughing:

Seriously, great job!

Ok, I think the Estonian Puppet Theater deserves some recognition:

The theatre, which started with puppeteer hidden behind the screen in 1952, has become a rapidly developing theatre, which is open for different experiments.The theatre building is located in the Old Town of Estonian capital Tallinn and has four theatre venues – Small Stage (180-240 seats), Oval Stage (77-100 seats), Middle Stage (56-70 seats), Fireplace Hall (25-35 seats) and Main Stage (700 seats).The repertoire of the Puppet Theatre consists of plays mostly for children and youth, combining puppetry and drama elements, the theatre also offers traditional shadow theatre. For the last seasons the theatre has witnessed a growth in musical productions and various experimental projects.

Your story would be interesting to many cachers. Please consider writing it up for The Online Geocacher http://onlinegeocacher.com, your free ad-free geocaching magazine.

Wait a minute, isn't that an ad? :laughing:

Congratulations! For the find, and the anti-throwdown statements in the log. :ph34r:

I really think that the anti-throwdown statement deserved more than just a reference, I think it deserves a topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=325468

Holy crap.

I guess it didn't sink in, or perhaps I just wasn't paying close enough attention, until after I was done reading your logs that this basically just happened.

This is phenomenal. "an obsession" indeed, but also incredibly inspiring to read the logs.

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I'll be hunting your record anytime soon (hehe), but I hope I can set & attain such an ambitious goal at some point in my future.

-LaserTuna

One player couldn't resist spoiling the cache page with a grumpy log. Tut, tut. That's what the forums are for.

( Congratulations, by the way, DeepButi :) )

The throwdown "finder" changed his log to DNF on the same day. The exact timing of the "grumpy log" is unclear.

EDIT: Obviously I didn't kill or even find the original cache so I changed this log to a DNF.Eventually we wrapped up the geocaching business and started our way back to the cable-car: Did I mention our schedule was sketchy? At this stage we actually realised that - Ooops! We had to push hard for over three hours at about 4000m to make it back in time. Totally exhausted Anna and I were never that happy to see tourists which told us we didn't miss the last ride back into the valley. What a rookie mistake - doh!This entry was edited by º on Monday, 25 August 2014 at 02:56:50 UTC.

Your story would be interesting to many cachers. Please consider writing it up for The Online Geocacher http://onlinegeocacher.com, your free ad-free geocaching magazine.

Wait a minute, isn't that an ad? :laughing:

Congratulations! For the find, and the anti-throwdown statements in the log. :ph34r:

I really think that the anti-throwdown statement deserved more than just a reference, I think it deserves a topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=325468

No, actually I don't think it did. :P

Are the tickets still valid? :blink:

Great log!

I guess so! :rolleyes: They are signed by the Managing Director until last year, I hope the new one honours his signature :rolleyes: I'm waiting for an answer to an e-mail I sent to the Theater, one of the cache hidders stills works there!

In the meanwhile I tasted the chocolate ... seems 12y is nothing when you're frozen! :lol: :lol:

m1cJhm.jpg

You can see a lot of pictures of the expeditions (if you're able to get rid of the Spanish comments) here (pictures starting post#26).

It was not the record what drove me. In fact in September 2013 when I attempted it, it would not had been a record at all. All the planning, the training, looking for details, guessing how they acted, what to expect ... every minute of some 14 months has been quite rewarding. And of course the final experience was a lot more than I expected.

Crossing Trient glacier on the first expedition was simply terrific. I will remember these hours forever.

And listening to small avalanches falling down the East wall of Mont Maudit when crossing the Vallee Blanche is a sound that will stay always on my mind.

How can I explain our shouting as children when we found the box? No way!

I set a goal. Worked and planned hard for it. And I was extremely lucky because we succeded.

I wanted to share it.

Edited by DeepButi

Are the tickets still valid? :blink:

Great log!

I guess so! :rolleyes: They are signed by the Managing Director until last year, I hope the new one honours his signature :rolleyes: I'm waiting for an answer to an e-mail I sent to the Theater, one of the cache hidders stills works there!

In the meanwhile I tasted the chocolate ... seems 12y is nothing when you're frozen! :lol: :lol:

This was like 2006 or so. Some guy gave me some tic tacs that were in a remote cache that hadn't been found in a couple years (and probably placed in the cache in 2002), and they were nasty. I totally didn't know they were from the cache.

Man, an Estonian Puppet Theatre? I hate puppets. And the fact it's in Estonia, makes it even more bizarre. I think I would pass. :)

Congratulations!

As for those making snarkies about Philipp & "false" find on 31 July this year, suggest you follow Philipp's example and edit your posts to update for corrected information. Philipp has updated his "find" to "DNF" with an explanation and well-deserved congrats to DeepButi.

Congratulations!

As for those making snarkies about Philipp & "false" find on 31 July this year, suggest you follow Philipp's example and edit your posts to update for corrected information. Philipp has updated his "find" to "DNF" with an explanation and well-deserved congrats to DeepButi.

Agree 100% with this comment, with one exception: "Who is going to remove the extra container Phillip placed there?"

• Upvote 1

Agree 100% with this comment, with one exception: "Who is going to remove the extra container Phillip placed there?"

Agreed - seems as if Phillip ought to, but perhaps just give blanket permission to whoever is next to find it? Given that it's such a difficult/dangerous one to approach. Or perhaps not *remove* but *move* it, give it its own cache status somewhere else on MB?

As a relative newbie, I'm a bit baffled about just how COs can "maintain" caches such as this one, the one on the ISS, etc :)

This special cache with special story the Puppet Theatre stash on the Mont Blanc has been marked temporarily unavailable by a GC reviewer after one DNF. I also wrote to them and asked to perhaps reconsider, as this is not a cache just thrown away. First of all, it is an oldie, secondly, it is not that easy to get there and to close the cache because of one DNF...? The answer came like this:
We contacted the HQ.
The responce from HQ is:
as with any other geocacher, you have 30 days to perform maintenance. After that, we'll have to archive the cache.
This old cache is a "vacation cache" and must be maintained like any other cache.

In other words, a cache like any other, hidden away from home as a "holiday cache", and the owner has 30 days to go to maintain it, after which the cache will be archived.
I love history and I am a little sad that such stories and caches are being lost. But maybe that's just my thing and life goes on.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
4 hours ago, caro_GP said:

as with any other geocacher, you have 30 days to perform maintenance. After that, we'll have to archive the cache.

In my experience, you are given 30 days to perform maintenance or at least respond with an update on the cache page. We had a local cache where it was disabled with updates given for well over a year.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I'm wondering if there is some story behind the scenes for this TD by the reviewer. The DNF is from August 2017, and 6 years(!) later the cache gets disabled "out of the blue"?

Maybe it has to do with none of the 600+ hides belong to the account listed?   An alternate site may be cross-listing?