Best beginner app for a iPhone

lornaford

Good afternoon,

I have been geocaching for the past 2 years and took my sister in law with me. She is really keen to start with her iPhone, but I am not sure which app is best and easiest for her to start with and for me to show her how to use as I use a gps.

Could anyone suggest an app for iPhone please.

Thankyou

Good afternoon,

I have been geocaching for the past 2 years and took my sister in law with me. She is really keen to start with her iPhone, but I am not sure which app is best and easiest for her to start with and for me to show her how to use as I use a gps.

Thankyou

Groundspeaks own apps?

Trial/basic one for free, more detailed one for a fee.

Intro App

Advanced App

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Good afternoon,

Thankyou

Groundspeaks own apps?

Intro App

Advanced App

Yes it works great for me. I use it on my IPhone for now until I get more heavily into it and get a GPS. The only down side is the stupid battery short life on the iPhone...

Edited by One-O-7

Yes it works great for me. I use it on my IPhone ...

Uh-huh... and just which of those two "its" are you referring to? The OP wants to know...

The one that works best because it does less, or the one that works best because it does more?

@ the OP:

Most all apps for geocaching work well. It is more of understanding their limits or capabilities than anything else.

There are other apps that are geocaching.com approved here: http://www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

Good afternoon,

Thankyou

Groundspeaks own apps?

Intro App

Advanced App

Good afternoon,

Thankyou

Groundspeaks own apps?

Intro App

Advanced App

Thankyou I will try the free one first, I guess it's straight forward to use.

Good afternoon,

Thankyou

Groundspeaks own apps?

Intro App

Advanced App

Thankyou I will try the free one first, I guess it's straight forward to use.

When (if) you decide to go to the paid app, be sure you do not try to upgrade it from within the free app. What looks like an upgrade to the paid app really gets a premium geocaching membership. To get the paid app, go to the app store.

Edited: typed "fee" when I meant "free." Fixed

Edited by NanCycle

When (if) you decide to go to the paid app, be sure you do not try to upgrade it from within the fee app. What looks like an upgrade to the paid app really gets a premium geocaching membership.

To get the paid app, go to the app store.

And, be aware that the trial app only shows Traditional caches.

It selects the 3 nearest/easiest (suitable for beginners) that have been Found recently.

(So may not be the nearest!)

It seems to show other nearby caches as "Premium or try moving closer"

MOST of them are NOT premium caches, this seems to be a ploy to get you to Upgrade... :o

Click on the cache and it will usually give you the details, unless it really IS a Premium cache!

If she likes caching, she can then think of getting the full app. :)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

When (if) you decide to go to the paid app, be sure you do not try to upgrade it from within the fee app. What looks like an upgrade to the paid app really gets a premium geocaching membership.

To get the paid app, go to the app store.

And, be aware that the trial app only shows Traditional caches.

It selects the 3 nearest/easiest (suitable for beginners) that have been Found recently.

(So may not be the nearest!)

It seems to show other nearby caches as "Premium or try moving closer"

MOST of them are NOT premium caches, this seems to be a ploy to get you to Upgrade... :o

Click on the cache and it will usually give you the details, unless it really IS a Premium cache!

If she likes caching, she can then think of getting the full app. :)

I never experienced that behavior with the intro app. When I used it I definitely saw more than 3 nearby caches. It's possible there have been changes to the intro app but, that was not my experience and I was using it less than a year ago.

Sorry I wasn't very clear on the previous post. I use the geocaching.com, groundspeaks own app that cost $10 bucks on my iPhone. And it works well. My daughter had the free one and that works well too but as a previous poster mentioned you only get to see the traditional caches and I believe there are only so many that show with the free app. Then when you discover one, another traditional shows,etc... So knowing that from her experience I got the $10 only as my first download...as you can see I am very new at geocaching so I am thinking it works ok for now. Others with more experience may disagree.

Sorry I wasn't very clear on the previous post. I use the geocaching.com, groundspeaks own app that cost $10 bucks on my iPhone. And it works well. My daughter had the free one and that works well too but as a previous poster mentioned you only get to see the traditional caches and I believe there are only so many that show with the free app. Then when you discover one, another traditional shows,etc... So knowing that from her experience I got the $10 only as my first download...as you can see I am very new at geocaching so I am thinking it works ok for now. Others with more experience may disagree.

I still use the Groundspeak app a lot of the time. When I'm planning a whole day of caching I'll usually load up my Garmin GPS, but for spur of the moment, "Let's see what's around here" spontaneous caching I'll often go to the app. Funny thing is, I just drove from Michigan to Louisiana last weekend (helping my sister move), and since I knew I'd want to grab some caches on the way (naturally), I carefully planned the route and meticulously created a Caches Along A Route query and loaded it to my Oregon. Then proceeded to leave the GPS in my bag and used my iPhone the whole way anyway :huh:

I've also been using Geosphere more lately....it cost $8.00 but it has a whole lot more features than the Grounspeak app, plus it integrates with the iPhone's Maps app to do driving directions. I like it for certain things but I find it's a little less user-friendly than the Groundspeak app, or maybe I just haven't used it enough yet to get comfortable with it.

I use a couple of non partnered apps that work pretty well for me. That is when I'm not using my Garmin 62s. C:geo works great for me. I have to log in with my GS login and password.
Maybe you missed the references to iPhone in the subject line and in the original post...