Is it appropriate to put hand tied fly fishing flies in a cache?

Hi all,

I like to tie my own flies for fly fishing and I was wondering if some flies could be an appropriate trade item. A number of the caches around me are near lakes where I like to fish. I thought the flies may be a welcome item.

The rules are clear that knives and other dangerous items should not be placed in a cache, but would that apply to fish hooks? They are certainly sharp, but I would put them in hard plastic case to ensure no one accidently pricks themselves.

What do you think - ok, or dangerous if found by a child?

Thanks

Having jabbed my thumb on fishing lures on at least two occasions while geocaching, this one gets a NO from me.

Ahhhh...put a cork in it! :laughing: Seriously! Put some kind of cork or hook protector on it, and then I say "Why not?" (And, I'd love to see your work! I'd be more than happy to find a hand-tied fly in a cache as a sig item or s.w.a.g.!

Having found fishing tackle in many caches, I'd have to agree that any hooks should be in careful packaging to protect people from getting poked. I've also reached into an ammo can to pull out s.w.a.g., and come out with a treble hook under my fingernail. :shocked:

I would put them in hard plastic case to ensure no one accidently pricks themselves.

Could you file the point a little and glue a bead over it? Like they do here. That might prevent some... misunderstandings. :ph34r:

And since it's in a case, add your name (Geo Nick), and info about what kind of fly it is.

I would put them in hard plastic case to ensure no one accidently pricks themselves.

Could you file the point a little and glue a bead over it? Like they do here. That might prevent some... misunderstandings. :ph34r:

And since it's in a case, add your name (Geo Nick), and info about what kind of fly it is.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using it for fishing?

As long as you take steps to make sure no one accidentally pokes themselves, I say by all means include them. And I do agree with kunarion's point that if you sign it with your nickname, they'd be even cooler.

Yes, but the safety concerns are not about how nicely a sharp object is packaged. I was imagining how well it would go for me if I placed a sharp object, packed it in a foolproof way, and the first log was by some fool who was in an emergency room due to poking their finger ("our 3-year-old found..." [and the story gets real exciting from here]). I could not place such an item without lots of those logs. I kinda envy people who can. B)

Anyway, yeah. Don't go fishing with a dull hook that has a bead glued onto the point.

Edited by kunarion

Yes, but the safety concerns are not about how nicely a sharp object is packaged. I was imagining how well it would go for me if I placed a sharp object, packed it in a foolproof way, and the first log was by some fool who was in an emergency room due to poking their finger ("our 3-year-old found..." [and the story gets real exciting from here]). I could not place such an item without lots of those logs. I kinda envy people who can. B)

Anyway, yeah. Don't go fishing with a dull hook that has a bead glued onto the point.

As a fellow fly tyer I'd love to find one of these. Using a barbless hook, stuck into a piece of cork or pencil eraser, and put into a plastic case would make it pretty safe.

I used to have a desktop machine at work that had an official hostname as "mayfy". I tied an extended tail mayfly that looked very realistic, superglued a pencil eraser to the top of a monitor, then stuck the hook in it. I stayed there for many years and lasted longer than the monitor.

Many years ago I took an advanced flycasting class that took place at a small trout filled private pond. We just tied on a small piece of brightly colored yarn but that didn't stop the fish from hitting the "fly" and a couple of them got their teeth stuck in the yarn and stayed on quite a while.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Having jabbed my thumb on fishing lures on at least two occasions while geocaching, this one gets a NO from me.

Ahhhh...put a cork in it! :laughing: Seriously! Put some kind of cork or hook protector on it, and then I say "Why not?" (And, I'd love to see your work! I'd be more than happy to find a hand-tied fly in a cache as a sig item or s.w.a.g.!

Having found fishing tackle in many caches, I'd have to agree that any hooks should be in careful packaging to protect people from getting poked. I've also reached into an ammo can to pull out s.w.a.g., and come out with a treble hook under my fingernail. :shocked:

The cork is no good when it's rattling around at the bottom of the cache.

In addition to jabbing people, nobody wants them and they get rusty.

Just don't.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Really appreciate your thoughts. I've got a bunch of small, clear, screw-top containers lying around so people's fingers would be perfectly safe when digging around in a cache. My concern was exactly kunarion's comment ("our 3-year-old found..." [and the story gets real exciting from here])…

I have a 3 year-old and he is just beginning to enjoy "treasure hunting." Personally I would never let him pull things out of a cache without checking first, but I don't want to be the cause of someone's little one getting hurt. It feels safe enough to me, but wanted to hear other's opinions.

The maker is justifiably proud of his handcrafted lures. Outdoorsmen & women would love to get these items.

Whether they should be in a cache is a separate question. That depends on whether this clever packaging eliminates the risk of injury. We live in a world where Murphy's Law rules. Scenario 1: someone unpackages it, then decides not to take it. You know there are 999 other plausible scenarios. Can't you wait til the next gathering to trade fishing lures?

I think it is a bad Idea but have the feeling you have already made about 100 to drop off. I guess all you can do is pack them up and ship them to me. I will send you the address!

No but seriously I think it is awesome and would love to find one! Pack it so kids won't accidentally get poked and I think you are all good and much better of a cacher then most. I think your concern here shows you will package them up right. So go place them and if you add your name to them even cooler!

You never know what could be in a cache so parents should be looking anyways besides for some cool cacher that left a cool item.

This actually raises a fair question. Do we have an unbiased estimate of what % of the caching community wants these? Besides the 10 fanatics in this thread, I mean. :huh:

Edited by wmpastor
Whether they should be in a cache is a separate question. That depends on whether this clever packaging eliminates the risk of injury. We live in a world where Murphy's Law rules. Scenario 1: someone unpackages it, then decides not to take it. You know there are 999 other plausible scenarios. Can't you wait til the next gathering to trade fishing lures?

In this Murphy's Law World, just going to a roadside cache would require padding on every rock.

Why, someone may stub their tootsies on 'em.

- And paper cuts. Gotta watch out for the paper cuts... sheesh.

In this Murphy's Law World, just going to a roadside cache would require padding on every rock.

Why, someone may stub their tootsies on 'em.

- And paper cuts. Gotta watch out for the paper cuts... sheesh.

C'mon, Joker! I've had paper cuts. I'd really like to avoid reaching into a cache with a fish hook in it! My point was that the careful packaging is great while it's there - but it WILL NOT always be there. I guarantee that and so does Mr. Murphy!

Edited by wmpastor

Ok. Barbless hook, stuck in a cork which is glued to the bottom of a plastic container with the cap glued on. If they can stick themselves with that, I'd start worrying more about the pen or pencil for signing the log! :laughing:

I'd like to find something like that. I think I'll tell my nephew to start using his flies as signatures.

This actually raises a fair question. Do we have an unbiased estimate of what % of the caching community wants these? Besides the 10 fanatics in this thread, I mean. :huh:

Well, as far as I can tell, if people wanted them they wouldn't be sitting in the cache long enough to get rusty.

Well, as far as I can tell, if people wanted them they wouldn't be sitting in the cache long enough to get rusty.

So the people on this thread who want them are fanatics?? We talked about hooks and lures as swag at an event I once went to. The event must have been for fanatics only, as everyone thought the idea was fine, as long as you take strong precautions to protect them. <_<

They are not something that I would want, but that's irrelevant. I have found at least 2 in caches that were not safely packaged. No way of knowing how they were packaged when they were left there, but by the time I found them, they were just dangerously sharp objects. I removed them from the caches--if I had any trade items with me I "traded" for them, but if not, well I just removed them.

IMO safe packaging is of utmost importance. Although I have no interest in them I have no other objection either.

We would be happy to find one in a cache.... come on up to da U.P., eh!

The cork is no good when it's rattling around at the bottom of the cache.

Just don't.

Sour grapes much? :laughing:

A cork, when stuck on a hook, does plenty of good. That's the point.

Then, add onto this hand-tied fly the plastic baggie most pre-tied cheap flies come in, and you can save your worry about jabbing and rusty pokes.

I would personally put go with the same answer as I give for enert ammo keychains. Are they cool? Heck yes! Do I want them. Yep! Should they be in caches? Nope. Do you want to be ethically responsible for someone going to the hospital to remove the hook or for tetanus. Would this be something a muggle would be concered with if they found the container?

We would be happy to find one in a cache.... come on up to da U.P., eh!

Your grass-roots movement is growing nicely! With this 10% jump in membership (now up to 11), the Fish-Hook Aficionados are about 14 months from going mainstream. However, I'll bet the vast Silent Majority who never come to the forum object as strongly as the rest of us who don't want to risk spilling blood when we open a cache.

I've voluntarily spilled blood while seeking a cache (while bushwhacking), and that, like the clever little quip about stubbing toes, is a known risk voluntarily assumed. Until now, the universal presumption is that there are no hazards in a cache. Not that you shouldn't look carefully, but just that if you couldn't quite see everything in the jumble of swag before reaching in, you probably would not spill blood. The Fish-Hook Aficionados think differently.

True. And: Corks come off the hook. That's the point - literally!

Odd. I've never had this problem with the fishing hooks I have bouncing around in the back of my car, or in the bottom of my tackle box.

In addition, I mentioned a cork, and a baggie. I'm hard pressed to believe that a cache container is more capable of removing a hook protection than the tackle boxes and fly boxes I toss around my car, garage, and shorelines with regularity.

Anyway, this isn't the place for this. Bottom line, if the OP takes care to package their wares well, it shouldn't be a problem. Well-tied flies are either desirable as artistic pieces (and taken home), or as functional pieces (and taken home). I'm imagining the OP has a good hand, and is proud of the art. Therefore, I'll venture a guess that their work will be removed quickly from a cache regardless of what we all hem and haw about here.

They are not something that I would want, but that's irrelevant. I have found at least 2 in caches that were not safely packaged. No way of knowing how they were packaged when they were left there, but by the time I found them, they were just dangerously sharp objects. I removed them from the caches--if I had any trade items with me I "traded" for them, but if not, well I just removed them.

IMO safe packaging is of utmost importance. Although I have no interest in them I have no other objection either.

I think that was exactly what should have been done and I wouldn't have worried about leaving a trade. At the point that they are exposed and rusted they become like so many ill protected trades, garbage to be removed.

Although I consider there to be a difference between knives, ammunition (loaded or not) and a fishing hook that is properly placed. I understand concerns of sharp and rusty, but I've cut myself on the rusty lock mechanism of an ammo can. I've poked myself on a rusty metal name tag that had been in a damp cache for far to long. And that is not even to go into what nature's wrath has done to me! The fact is we all enjoy a hobby that is inherently dangerous. Though I constantly get caught up in the moment and rush to open and sort, there is always a danger. A drug user dropping a glass pipe or needle in, sharp edges of a container, hobo and black widow spiders, even rattlesnakes and scorpions are always possibilities when caching. I know that in our current world of "if it's not safe, it needs to go" it's easiest to just say no, but where does it stop? That cute little compass you left can just as easily be pulled apart and that needle could cut a child, or they could drink the fluid. That marble kid A found could end up in the hands of kid B who tries to swallow it and chokes. The dollar store car? You guessed it, sharp steel (rusty) axles, broken plastic undercarriage, and more than likely, lead in the paint. I'm not disagreeing with those who have voiced concern. They would absolutely have to be packaged properly, but we can't bubble wrap the world in the name of safety. Utherwise, how long until venturing into the woods or lifting a skirt or searching a guardrail is deemed to dangerous and can lead to injury. Then where would we as cachers be?

Odd. I've never had this problem with the fishing hooks I have bouncing around in the back of my car, or in the bottom of my tackle box. In addition, I mentioned a cork, and a baggie. I'm hard pressed to believe that a cache container is more capable of removing a hook protection than the tackle boxes and fly boxes I toss around my car, garage, and shorelines with regularity.

I final remark and I hope I'm through with this topic.

I believe you missed my point, so I'll try to be clearer. It's not that I think a cache container is capable of removing a hook protector. It's that people remove hook protectors.

Though not much of a fisherman anymore, I tied flies with my uncle when I was a kid and like the idea. Have some kind of protection for the hook and go for it.

I personally don't stick my fingers in cache containers without looking what's in there first. If I had kiddies with me, that would be a big rule, too.

Odd. I've never had this problem with the fishing hooks I have bouncing around in the back of my car, or in the bottom of my tackle box.

In addition, I mentioned a cork, and a baggie. I'm hard pressed to believe that a cache container is more capable of removing a hook protection than the tackle boxes and fly boxes I toss around my car, garage, and shorelines with regularity.

Anyway, this isn't the place for this. Bottom line, if the OP takes care to package their wares well, it shouldn't be a problem. Well-tied flies are either desirable as artistic pieces (and taken home), or as functional pieces (and taken home). I'm imagining the OP has a good hand, and is proud of the art. Therefore, I'll venture a guess that their work will be removed quickly from a cache regardless of what we all hem and haw about here.

+1

Though not much of a fisherman anymore, I tied flies with my uncle when I was a kid and like the idea. Have some kind of protection for the hook and go for it.

I personally don't stick my fingers in cache containers without looking what's in there first. If I had kiddies with me, that would be a big rule, too.

I agree. Comon sense, really.

I guess I don't understand why the same people who wouldn't think of sticking their hands in a hole or crack to find a cache, would blindly shove their hands in without looking first when it's opened.

I don't fish, but would love to find a quality hand made signature item in a cache. As others have already posted, just make sure that the barb end is properly protected. The small case would be a good idea just to protect the delicate fly from getting damaged by other stuff in the container.

Odd. I've never had this problem with the fishing hooks I have bouncing around in the back of my car, or in the bottom of my tackle box. In addition, I mentioned a cork, and a baggie. I'm hard pressed to believe that a cache container is more capable of removing a hook protection than the tackle boxes and fly boxes I toss around my car, garage, and shorelines with regularity.

I believe you missed my point, so I'll try to be clearer. It's not that I think a cache container is capable of removing a hook protector. It's that people remove hook protectors.

Why would anyone take a cork protector off a hook, then leave the hook in a cache? I don't see that as a problem, might happen, but would be so rare as to negate the argument.

Odd. I've never had this problem with the fishing hooks I have bouncing around in the back of my car, or in the bottom of my tackle box. In addition, I mentioned a cork, and a baggie. I'm hard pressed to believe that a cache container is more capable of removing a hook protection than the tackle boxes and fly boxes I toss around my car, garage, and shorelines with regularity.

Why would anyone take a cork protector off a hook, then leave the hook in a cache? I don't see that as a problem, might happen, but would be so rare as to negate the argument.

NanCycle has seen it twice (post 37). I believe it.

Argument un-negated! ;)

Edited by wmpastor

There are all sorts of lovely, handmade things that would be popular but just don't belong in caches.

There are all sorts of lovely, handmade things that would be popular but just don't belong in caches.

Exactly. Homemade wine comes to mind. And there again the cork could be a problem. :anibad:

NanCycle has seen it twice (post 37). I believe it.

Argument un-negated! ;)

Did you see someone take a cork off a hook then throw the hook back in the cache? Or did you see a cork, off the hook laying in the cache? One would be idiocy the other poor protection.

Unless I saw someone take the cork off, I would have to assume the cork wasn't properly fastened to begin with.

I personally would not trust to just a cork, if I were to leave a hook in a cache it would be in some kind of small hard sided plastic container. I have several small plastic cases I have put my lures in over the years. Never used just a cork.