What service does the iphone app use...

galladanb

What service does the iphone app use for geo cacheing...

By that, I mean does the iphone get its GPS info from the 3G / 4G Data phone talk side?

OR the WEB / data side?

My cell plan has talk, text, and data...

Which one should I expect should go up in usage as I go about this new hobby?

I am not complaining, just want to see which service I may need to increase, for the hobby?

Or does it simply get the info, then switch over to GPS for the guidance to the cache???

Never gave this much thought before!!! LOL!

As I understand it, GPS positioning by itself doesn't use any data at all. Your phone is just reading the signals broadcast from GPS satellites (no relation to your cell carrier), and triangulating your position. Even with no cell service you can still often use GPS.

I can't speak to data usage of the Intro App itself, but it should be relatively tiny compared to web browsing and streaming.

As I understand it, GPS positioning by itself doesn't use any data at all. Your phone is just reading the signals broadcast from GPS satellites (no relation to your cell carrier), and triangulating your position. Even with no cell service you can still often use GPS.

I can't speak to data usage of the Intro App itself, but it should be relatively tiny compared to web browsing and streaming.

I think you are right, GPS is separate than Data; the only data that is used is submitting logs and finding the caches and reading the descriptions...

As long as you've saved the cache info beforehand you don't need cell service. The GPS does not rely on data to operate. However, you won't be able to look up caches live. You also won't be able to view the map, unless you've also saved the map tiles associated with the cache.

But if you've prepared beforehand, then yes, you can use the app without data service.