Letterbox-hybrid stamp

I'd say yes, you need a stamp.

But, the cache types descriptions http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx say:

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues instead of coordinates. In some cases, the letterbox owner has made their container both a letterbox and a geocache and posted its coordinates on Geocaching.com. If there is a stamp inside a Letterbox Hybrid, it is not an item intended for trade. The stamp is meant to remain in the box so that visitors can use it to record their visit.

Which suggest a stamp isn't 100% necessary. :(

Yep, the lastest one my other 2/3rds found (that souvi thing you know...) was the first in a few that had a stamp.

I asked once at an event and some said Groundspeak themselves state, "If there is a stamp inside...", so I guess those COs take it as either/or/both.

I always thought it had to have a stamp.

Yep, the lastest one my other 2/3rds found (that souvi thing you know...) was the first in a few that had a stamp.

I asked once at an event and some said Groundspeak themselves state, "If there is a stamp inside...", so I guess those COs take it as either/or/both.

What makes it a 'Letterbox'?

In my book it's:

1. A Stamp.

2. The way you find the thing. eg. Usually by clues, rather than going straight to the coordinates and finding the container.

What makes it a 'Letterbox'?

In my book it's:

1. A Stamp.

2. The way you find the thing. eg. Usually by clues, rather than going straight to the coordinates and finding the container.

I agree and the letterbox hybrid are the only caches I keep track of when I place a NM, "someone must have taken the stamp".

Most are deleted, so I guess it was put out that way. Note to Reviewer...

The container for a Letterbox Hybrid must include a stamp, which stays with the geocache and may be used by letter-boxers to stamp their personal letter-boxing book.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

That said, the stamps get taken. It's happened to one of mine, a hand carved stamp. I replaced it with a store bought stamp for the short term, and eventually got another hand carved out.

I've only found one LBH with no stamp, myself. From the looks of the log, it had a stamp at one time (why do people stamp the log with the stamp that's already in the box?).

I disagree with the notion that to be "good" it needs clues. If you want to experience a letterbox style hunt, use a letterbox site.

Here's it's a geocache, coords are fine.

The Guidelines state:

The container for a Letterbox Hybrid must include a stamp, which stays with the geocache and may be used by letter-boxers to stamp their personal letter-boxing book. The cache can be logged without using the stamp.

It is always nice when the cache uses a letterbox clue and is cross-listed on a letterboxing site (such as AtlasQuest). The best stamps are hand-carved or custom made, as the stamp is an important part of letterboxing, but there is no requirement for that on either this site or Atlas

I think many put 'em out for the icon, an "I have hidden all current cache types" kinda thing.

Challenge maybe?

I just think it very lame.

Head out with my stamp and book and find just another offset...

+1. That's how and why most are put out, and they're a relic of a bygone era. I could give my theory on why they even exist in the first place (and keep in mind we're going back to 2001 or 2002), but I don't want to get a forum ban. :P

If you want to experience a letterbox style hunt, use a letterbox site.

Another way to look at it: if you want to place a cache at the posted coordinates, place a traditional.

As per the guidelines, letterstamp traditionals are permitted, but good cache owners strive to do more than pander to the lowest common denominator.

I have found only ten letterbox caches. Five of them were micros, four bison tubes and one 35mm. The bisons are listed as micro and the film can as small. To be fair I have to say that the 35mm was probably a throw down since a recent log mentions a stamp in the cache and a new log book. So based on my sampling only 50% - 60% of those listed as letterbox hybrid caches actually are. Not much interest in them here in my area probably because they take time like a multi and the results are often disappointing.

The last time we saw this topic posted we learned that the only requirement to be a letterbox hybrid was the stamp. Letterboxing-style clues aren't a requirement.

We have one letterbox hybrid, it's cross-listed on AtlasQuest. It uses GPS coordinates to take you to a place where you start to follow clues. Not being very artistic, we had a hand carved custom stamp made for us. It's attached to the container by a lanyard.

Personally, I like the added challenge of the letterboxing clues. We keep a logbook stamped with our LB finds. Store-bought stamps are a downer.

To be a good letterbox, it should have a stamp, a good logbook for others to put their stamps, and the find should involve some letterbox-style instructions. Placing it at the posted coordinates is allowed, but kind of a lame thing to do.

To be a really good letterbox it would have the above, and the stamp would be unique - either custom made or handcarved and match the location or theme of the box. Recently I found one where the cache owner had a stamp made (probably at Staples) that matched the cheese theme and included the GC# and the name of the town the cache/letterbox was in. I was impressed. Can't stand the ones where the cache owner throws in a generic dollar store stamp. What's the point? Oh yeah, silly me, the point is to collect cache type icons and to qualify for challenge caches.

To be a good letterbox, it should have a stamp, a good logbook for others to put their stamps, and the find should involve some letterbox-style instructions. Placing it at the posted coordinates is allowed, but kind of a lame thing to do.

To be a really good letterbox it would have the above, and the stamp would be unique - either custom made or handcarved and match the location or theme of the box. Recently I found one where the cache owner had a stamp made (probably at Staples) that matched the cheese theme and included the GC# and the name of the town the cache/letterbox was in. I was impressed. Can't stand the ones where the cache owner throws in a generic dollar store stamp. What's the point? Oh yeah, silly me, the point is to collect cache type icons and to qualify for challenge caches.

I fully agree. Handmade or customized stamps certainly make letterbox caches better, and more memorable.

I'm considering putting one together and I was curious about how it's listed. So, if there are directions for finding it NOT at the posted coordinates, I'm assuming the final ACTUAL coordinates are required when listing it...correct? Is it basically the same process as listing a mystery cache?

I'm considering putting one together and I was curious about how it's listed. So, if there are directions for finding it NOT at the posted coordinates, I'm assuming the final ACTUAL coordinates are required when listing it...correct? Is it basically the same process as listing a mystery cache?

You need to enter final coordinates in that case, yes. You need to be careful however that the GPS-usage is an integral part of the cache hunt. So for most reviewers it will not suffice if one uses the GPS-receiver only for accessing the start coordinates along a road to which you can easily navigate by a map.

You could mix however letterbox style clues with a coordinate approach.

I'm not sure that the reason is always the latter. I'm not a letterboxer and there are hardly any letterboxes in my country. However, I like following letterbox style clues and I also own a cache where some part of the hunt is

done in letterbox style. I have no interest into stamps - I'm not a visual person and I'm not enjoying crafting things at all.

I do not own a letterbox hybrid (as I do not care at all about icons), but if I had one, it certainly would not contain a handcarved or custom made stamp due to lack of creativity.

If letterboxes existed in my area, I would not carry along a personal log book for collecting the stamp imprints.

Guidelines:

Letterbox Hybrids

This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. A Letterbox Hybrid must include significant GPS usage for at least part of the hunt. Letterbox-style clues may be used to guide seekers to the container, but only if the clues are accompanied by coordinates specific to the hide. The container for a Letterbox Hybrid must include a stamp, which stays with the geocache and may be used by letter-boxers to stamp their personal letter-boxing book. The cache can be logged without using the stamp.

1.15. Stages and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=72

B.

I'm not sure that the reason is always the latter. I'm not a letterboxer and there are hardly any letterboxes in my country. However, I like following letterbox style clues and I also own a cache where some part of the hunt is

done in letterbox style. I have no interest into stamps - I'm not a visual person and I'm not enjoying crafting things at all.

I do not own a letterbox hybrid (as I do not care at all about icons), but if I had one, it certainly would not contain a handcarved or custom made stamp due to lack of creativity.

If letterboxes existed in my area, I would not carry along a personal log book for collecting the stamp imprints.

Please, at least try to make the stamp relevant to the location or theme of the cache. There are lots of rubberstamp websites with a wide variety of stamps to purchase. Business supply stores may also help you design a custom made stamp. A little searching could find just the right stamp. Example, if a LB Hybrid owner plants a cache in/near a dog park they could buy a stamp of a dog to add to the cache, instead of picking a happy face stamp from the $1 bin at the discount store.

If people want to create a cache with directional clues, it's already covered by the Unknown/Puzzle/Mystery category.

Why does a CO make it a Letterbox Hybrid if they don't care about the stamp? Only reason has to be because the CO wants the icon. And perhaps because finders will give you favorite points because you provided the icon.

Too many people miss the point of a lb hybrid. It's a geocache AND a letterbox, not a geoache that is like a letterbox. LB hybrids were not introduced to provide geocachers with a letterboxing experience, they were created so that our boxes could be available to geocachers and letterboers. To a geocacher the fact that it is a LB hybrid means nothing other than the cool icon you get in your profile for finding one.

Put the cache at the posted coordinates, it's a traditional. Add a stamp it's a LB hybrid.

Use clues, etc to find a cache, it's a multi (offset) cache. Add a stamp it's a LB hybrid.

Edited by briansnat

If you could somehow make the nano itself into a tiny stamp and tell people to bring their own ink, it might work but it would be messy.

Letterboxes don't usually contain a pad - at least, not those I found when letterboxing. The pad will dry out because they can go for many months between finds. Container being the stamp is an interesting idea though.

If you could somehow make the nano itself into a tiny stamp and tell people to bring their own ink, it might work but it would be messy.

Letterboxes don't usually contain a pad - at least, not those I found when letterboxing. The pad will dry out because they can go for many months between finds. Container being the stamp is an interesting idea though.

Worse, if water gets in the container, everything becomes an inky mess. Best to leave the ink out, if people want to collect the stamp image they will bring their own ink.

I can't imagine a nano letterbox hybrid. Well, at least not a button nano. You've got to have room for both a really tiny stamp and a nano log scroll. A micro letterbox yes. I have a one in a Coghlan's matchstick container. The stamp is about 1/2"x1/4" and there's a small logbook.

I have a one in a Coghlan's matchstick container. The stamp is about 1/2"x1/4" and there's a small logbook.

Can you tell us the GC code?

It's not posted on the GC site. It's on the AQ site. I can send you a link if you like. I think you have to set up an account to see it.

Edited by L0ne.R

Please, at least try to make the stamp relevant to the location or theme of the cache.

If I ever would come along with a letterbox hybrid, I will definitely do so, but it will not be a stamp of the kind you appreciate the most. I have once looked at one of your websites and was impressed about your skill in handicrafting all sorts of stuff (I think it was about swag) and I admire this. It's just not what I enjoy - my talents are very different.

There are lots of rubberstamp websites with a wide variety of stamps to purchase. Business supply stores may also help you design a custom made stamp.

You are right, but it depends a little bit on the country - otherwise you might end up with quite high delivery costs.

Why does a CO make it a Letterbox Hybrid if they don't care about the stamp? Only reason has to be because the CO wants the icon. And perhaps because finders will give you favorite points because you provided the icon.

I realized that if the cache is labeled as LB hybrid, the letterbox clues get a better acceptance by a larger audience including those who do not like if a multi cache or mystery cache is based heavily on such clues and would comment on that in their logs for a non letterbox cache.

Moreover, at least in my country (and it is used to be similar in Germany a few years ago) there was more leeway with regard to that the GPS should be an integral part of the hunt than for other cache types. (Yes, I know according to the written guidelines, there should not be a difference, but in reality there is one.) I know a number of letterboxes (also current ones) where the GPS can be used only to navigate to the starting point which is located along a road shown on any map. This helps in avoiding having to provide two versions which is a bit ackward in some cases.

Another comment refers to the post of briansnat, but also fits as addition to the above. That's why I decided to include it into this post. I know the history how LB hybrids came about and that the idea was just to make them accessible to cachers and letterboxes. In a country with no letterbox tradition at all, letterbox hybrids have been used in a different manner from the very beginning on.

Cezanne

I've seen it both ways. Depends on the container.