[Feature]--Add "Write Note" log type

ADKer

Pretty simple:

Right now, only "Found It" and "DNF" logs can be made from the intro app. There are several benefits, for example: Sometimes "Found it" type logs are used when they shouldn't be. Adding the option to write a note on the intro app could help fix this problem.

Just a though. What does everyone think?

Pretty simple:

Right now, only "Found It" and "DNF" logs can be made from the intro app. There are several benefits, for example: Sometimes "Found it" type logs are used when they shouldn't be. Adding the option to write a note on the intro app could help fix this problem.

Why? Can't you do it in the paid app? If so, then that's the point-limited functionality to encourage users to buy the app.

And what's wrong with visiting the website to do it?

Pretty simple:

Why? Can't you do it in the paid app? If so, then that's the point-limited functionality to encourage users to buy the app.

Simply put, some users don't want to pay $10 for the full app. (I know a couple people.)

Also, I have been the first to inform some intro app users that you actually CAN log things from a website. Silly little cachers.rolleyes.gif

Though I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd just like to see how this idea is seen.

Edited by ADKer

I thought the intro app was just a teaser, getting people to want to purchase the full (now called "pro"...) app for whatever extras it provides.

Adding more functions (and there was some added today) seems to defeat that purpose.

I am on a low and fixed income I have paid, what for me, is a lot of money for the privilege to use Geocaching.com, if these individuals can afford $400+ smart phones, etc. to be able to access the internet anywhere they wish to do their Geocaching, then in my opinion they can afford to purchase an inexpensive $10.00 application if they want full functions. :mellow: oops I meant this as a general input to the forum, I don't know how I got someone's comment in there, for whatever it's worth, I'm sorry.

Edited by IowaMongoose

I thought the intro app was just a teaser, getting people to want to purchase the full (now called "pro"...) app for whatever extras it provides.

Adding more functions (and there was some added today) seems to defeat that purpose.

I am on a low and fixed income I have paid, what for me, is a lot of money for the privilege to use Geocaching.com, if these individuals can afford $400+ smart phones, etc. to be able to access the internet anywhere they wish to do their Geocaching, then in my opinion they can afford to purchase an inexpensive $10.00 application if they want full functions. :mellow: oops I meant this as a general input to the forum, I don't know how I got someone's comment in there, for whatever it's worth, I'm sorry.

It's okay. We agree, just that yours was a bit more personal. :)

oops I meant this as a general input to the forum, I don't know how I got someone's comment in there, for whatever it's worth, I'm sorry.

Because you hit reply, which quotes the post you hit it on. You just have to scroll to the bottom of the page to post.

Pretty simple:

Simply put, some users don't want to pay $10 for the full app. (I know a couple people.)

SNIP

Though I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd just like to see how this idea is seen.

OH. Some people don't want to pay? That changes everything....

By that logic the full app, and the premium membership should be free as well.

Pretty simple:

SNIP

OH. Some people don't want to pay? That changes everything....

By that logic the full app, and the premium membership should be free as well.

I should have added one word: "Reasonably"

I find it very reasonable for a person to not want to pay 10 bucks for a smartphone app, and even then still not have premium geocaching membership.

Regardless though, I was actually figuring that this addition would help the hobby more so than the individual.

Edited by ADKer

The question shouldn't be, "Is this adding value/feature to the intro app that shouldn't be there, because people should be directed to the full app?" but "Is this something that would alleviate pain and hardship among the Geocaching community in general?"

I personally have never had an intro app user post a Found It or DNF when they should have posted a note, but I could see how it would be possible. To the extent the intro apps are creating false logs due to no correct logging option (Note), this should be implemented.

Why would you want to post a Note?

You look for a cache.

Either you find it. Post Found It! log.

You don't find it. Post Didn't Find It log.

The app doesn't give the option to post Needs Maintenance logs either...

(But, given the app selects caches that don't have 'problems' there really is no need, and IF the log is damp it can be mentioned in the Found It! log)

Okay, I guess I have to open my big mouth again...People just want the milk without having to buy the cow, it's that "instant gratification" and the "entitlement" complex humans tend to get when they can't get what they want the way they want it and right now because "they are entitled to it!" by golly because they already got this and such. Having said this, I still don't think the full benefits should just be handed to Smart Phone users or iPad users or ... without them paying for the whole app (a.k.a. "the cow"). As a matter of fact, I believe that just because a person buys one of those expensive items, it shouldn't automatically entitle them to a lower price like $10 to get full benefits for an app I pay much more for; I think the app should cost the same as it does to use Geocaching.com just saying. Now that I've stuck both feet and two fists in my mouth, I'll end my soap box lecture. :drama:

Okay, I realized I needed to put this into some different terms.

App Cost: $10

Fast Food: $5-10 per meal.

Cigarettes: $6-7 per pack with tax.

PathTags $8-10 for approximately 4 plus s/h.

Travel Bug $6 for 1 plus s/h.

Car Fuel $4-10 gallon depending on where you're at.

TOTT/Supplies $10 month, maybe, probably not if you're clever.

Consider the $10 part of the TOTT (Tools of the Trade, or Supplies) required to Geocache. So what if it costs you $10 to a year or just once to help your fellow Geocachers out by letting them know about the status of their cache. Call it courtesy if you will, call it whatever you want to make you feel better about paying it, but pay it and get over it. It's $10, a drop in the bucket compared to what the person spent ($400+) on their Smart Phone or whatever. :signalviolin:

Edited by IowaMongoose

You look for a cache.

(But, given the app selects caches that don't have 'problems' there really is no need, and IF the log is damp it can be mentioned in the Found It! log)

Or the person can be Geocaching friend to the CO and replace the log using supplies from their TOTTs (tools of the trade) if they carry such with them, some cachers do this and it's a good gesture of courtesy. :)

I personally have never had an intro app user post a Found It or DNF when they should have posted a note, but I could see how it would be possible. To the extent the intro apps are creating false logs due to no correct logging option (Note), this should be implemented.

How are they creating false logs due to an absence of logging options?

They either find it or they don't. Pretty simple really.

The app is filtered by size, type, difficuly and without NM or NA issues to the point they really shouldn't have any other options than Found It, Or Didn't.

All the "false logs" we get are fake finds.

To many of these two-week-an-done app kids, this is a game. Games have points.

Found It gives you smiley "points". Having a Note option won't give 'em that point.

Wanna take away "false logs", you'd have to remove points.

- That'd create a lot more issues here than this app...

You look for a cache.

Or the person can be Geocaching friend to the CO and replace the log using supplies from their TOTTs (tools of the trade) if they carry such with them, some cachers do this and it's a good gesture of courtesy. :)

Sounds nice and I agree, replacing a log on a maintained cache is a nice thing to do.

But we're talking about people playing an app game that few bother to read up about.

Most would have no idea what a TOTT is.

I might also add that the intro app should include being able to view logs other than "Found it!" and "DNF". Certain very important information can be found in those.

Regardless though, I was actually figuring that this addition would help the hobby more so than the individual.

There is at least one geocaching website I know of which allows you to use them for free. I noticed there are fewer users for that one, and I also found out about it after I had gotten into this one, but this one seems to be reasonable in it's cost, so it wan't an issue for me even after I found out. I don't know if it can be accessed via smart phone.

I am all for furthering the hobby or sport or competition, I really enjoy it even though I'm quite limited in which caches I am able to go after. But being limited, is for me, making a choice to be safe rather than end up getting hurt and not being able to cache again at all. Choice. We all have to make them, and I still think the app needs to have a price, and people can choose to buy it or not.

:rolleyes: Okay, example: Premium Membership has it's benefits when compared to a non-premium membership, if it didn't then it wouldn't be a Premium Membership - when using the Geocaching.com. It's the same thing if you go to a gym, you can buy a membership, but to get certain privileges you have to buy certain packages. Those packages have different costs - some are very in-expensive some are very costly depending on WHAT benefits or privileges you want access to in the Gym.

Having the "right" or "privilege" to view or write more than just Found It or DNF comes with a price, we've already established that it is a very small price by comparison to the unit used to access the internet to Geocache from anywhere at anytime as long as the person can get a signal. :antenna:

Therefore, based on the examples I mentioned above, why should it be any different for those who want more privileges beyond the trial or sample application? If you want more privileges, you need to pay for those privileges as part of the package - or as in this case - in the form of buying the full application (or privilege) for $10. :D

Edited by IowaMongoose

I might also add that the intro app should include being able to view logs other than "Found it!" and "DNF". Certain very important information can be found in those.

The intro app wont select a cache that has DNF or Needs Maintenance logged on it, until it's found again...

The app only selects caches suitable for beginners, not those that may have problems and be difficult -or impossible!- to find.