What Should I Assume About Marks With No Recovery Reports?

Thot

Hi Thot,

In my experience, that is not too uncommon.

Marks that have not had a recorded find since monumentation are some of my favorite to recover.

Here are some possible reasons for no recovery reports that I can think of:

•  
  • No one has looked for it

• No one has been able to find it

• Someone has found it and used it but did not file a recovery

Go get it!

Here are some possible reasons for no recovery reports that I can think of:

•  
  • No one has looked for it

Thanks for your reply.

Benchmarks near it have been found several times by official teams, and they report failures to find as well as finds. One would think they would have tried for this never recovered one.

We have found quite a few that had no recovery reports of any kind, but they had been recently used by a surveyor. Recently as in the last 6 months to a year. We know they were used due to the fact that they had ribbons all around and they were painted bright pink or green or blue.

The reason many don't get reported is that it cost the construction company / surveyor time and expense to fill out the need forms and file with the NGS. They save money by not filing a recovery.

John

If you check the current Datasheets, you may find that some Geocac'rs are logging their recoveries there and not on the Geocaching site. Google Earth is a good source for current recoveries using the Datasheets.

The link provided is to the current datasheet

I'm one of the geocachers who submit recovery reports and pictures to the NGS which become part of the datasheets.

Edited by Thot

The reason many don't get reported is that it cost the construction company / surveyor time and expense to fill out the need forms and file with the NGS. They save money by not filing a recovery.

Teams called "US POWER SQUADRON" (called USPSQD in the summary), not individual surveyors, have been recovering the marks in our area for quite a while. They did this regularly in 2005 and earlier. They found most of the marks surrounding this one in 2003, 2004 and/or 2005. For some reason they stopped doing it in 2005. Here's an example.

Edited by Thot

Teams called "US POWER SQUADRON" (called USPSQD in the summary), not individual surveyors, have been recovering the marks in our area for quite a while. They did this regularly in 2005 and earlier. They found most of the marks surrounding this one in 2003, 2004 and/or 2005. For some reason they stopped doing it in 2005. Here's an example.

To clarify - The USPSQD is still an individual. That's like our repors - an individual submits it to NGS under the 'Geocaching' group name. There may be more than one person that recovered it (same with Geocaching reports), but only one person makes the report. There's no difference between the Power Squadron and us.. ('cept we usually have better and more accurate reports..)

..for some reason they [Power Squadron] stopped doing it in 2005.

..at about that time members of the Power Squadron discontinued submitting reports as an organization. If I remember correctly it was a volunteer project to help with recovery reports as NGS is part of NOAA. A lot of recoveries tended to be near boating areas, but in my area, some members visited marks in the mountains/woods. Like us GEOCAC, some individuals were real serious about it and made detailed recoveries & some looked for the easy finds at the marina.

Like one of the above posts mentioned, I've been all excited to climb a mountain to a mark not officially recovered since 1942, only to find bright pink tape, and some faded green tape, and more faded blue, etc..

Edited by Ernmark

Even better is finding and logging benchmarks that are marked as "not found". I used to automatically bypass those because I figured if the pros couldn't find it, how can I. Now I know better.

Not found does not always mean it was looked for. Sometimes the term NOT FOUND was interpreted to mean they really did not look because they determined they did not need it or use it for the project. Got reported as not found because it was not used and therefore not looked for, not found.

Edited by Z15