Timely DNFs and NM

jellis

Since owning caches have I recieved a DNF and a NM that were post dated late. A few years ago a cacher posted a NM on a cache of mine saying it was wet. Thought it strange since it was waterproof paper, but I checked it anyway and it was dry. They dated their log like 6 months late. And today on one of my WA caches someone posted a DNF and dated it over a year and a half ago. WHY?

Edited by jellis

Yeah, I don't see much point in logging NM unless you're going to do so in a timely manner. The whole point of a NM log is to let the CO know about an issue that needs to be addressed. An issue that needed to be addressed half a year ago is irrelevant.

But a DNF is part of the person's caching history. I've been months behind in my logging before. Even though they were logged months late, my Found and Attended logs were still worth posting as part of my caching history. And if there had been DNFs in my field notes, then they would have been worth posting too.

Edited by niraD

On the DNF there can be several interesting harmless "gosh people are unique creatures" type of answers. I won't even put a theory out for why he didn't log it before and DID now, but it may be a legitimate DNF that he had on paper and for whatever strange reason... logged it online (with the correct date) now.

Email him maybe? It could be a fascinating answer.

Or.... was he attempting to log a DNF from a few days ago, and put in DD/MM/YY format for the date and put 12/08 and the system wouldn't allow him to DNF in the future? So it reset to last December without him noticing?

I say email and ask. Now I want to know.

The NM's from ages past are strange and kind of rude.

I've forgotten to log a DNF until a few months later when I finally did find it. But NM? I don't get that. Maybe they just really needed to post something that day. I can see it: "well, no finds. No DNF's. I know! There was that cache last December. It needed maintenance! It's not like it's been a year or anything. Bet they thought they'd gotten away with that one!" :blink:

I log late finds, and I'd log a late DNF as part of my history - I'd date it appropriately (though I do tend to be prompt on logging DNFs).

I've only logged one NM and was sorry I'd done it. I sure wouldn't log one late, at least not without checking the current logs to make sure it was still relevant.

There are all kinds of simple logging errors going on. Just this week I noticed a never found 5 month old multi-cache. One DNF on the first stage logged shortly after publication, and then one Needs Maintenance, "Fun Find" from a 4 finds cacher. I considered that if that NM log was really meant for the cache it was logged on, it *might* mean that they'd found the first stage, and didn't understand it - no container, no log, so logged it as NM.

OR, it was meant to be a Smiley on some other cache altogether. No telling.