Why are Earthcaches limited to geology?

RunCraigRun

I've placed 25 traditional caches and was looking to try to expand my horizons with an earthcache. I identified a location and topic that I thought would be a great educational experience. Then I read the guidelines and learnt that earthcaches are limited to geology. I can't find the rationale for that, and I'm curious why that is. My topic was ecological so it wouldn't be accepted. Any insight to share? Thank you.

Yep. This has been discussed several times over the years. It is what it is and there does not seem to be any desire to change the status quo. That said, if you do the work on the geology of the area you are allowed to throw in some ecological or biological information. Just be sure the geology content is solid first.

Edited by Lostby7

I used to enjoy EC's before they were limited to just geology.

Curious - don't think I've seen an Earthcache that doesn't have a geology lesson as its centerpiece. Can you give an example?

Here is one that I enjoy, it is a Iron furnace, I also have one of a man made Rain Garden. I enjoyed the ones centered around natural springs and the flow magnitude, those are no longer accepted. Waymarking has a natural springs category that I enjoy. :)

I recently published one about my local city park, with its man-made lake. afaik, it's also the only 5/1 Earthcache.

ETA: Nearby there's also another EC which merely asks you to examine a few statues and identify the type of rock used.

Point: I think EC's are pretty flexible, as long as there's something related to an Earth science in the educational aspect of the listing... As opposed to say a cultural history lesson of a building. Not an EC.

Edited by thebruce0

Curious - don't think I've seen an Earthcache that doesn't have a geology lesson as its centerpiece. Can you give an example?

Here is one that I enjoy, it is a Iron furnace, I also have one of a man made Rain Garden. I enjoyed the ones centered around natural springs and the flow magnitude, those are no longer accepted. Waymarking has a natural springs category that I enjoy. :)

Thanks. They did manage to squeeze in a geology lesson there I see - nicely done too. I did an Earthcache recently that's about a war memorial, and the geology lesson is about the type of granite used to construct the memorial. The GSA seems pretty flexible as long as there's a geology theme in the Earthcache - have they gotten more strict recently?

Thanks. They did manage to squeeze in a geology lesson there I see - nicely done too. I did an Earthcache recently that's about a war memorial, and the geology lesson is about the type of granite used to construct the memorial. The GSA seems pretty flexible as long as there's a geology theme in the Earthcache - have they gotten more strict recently?

They may not be as strict as they were a few years ago, I'm not sure. I lost interest in EC's in favor of Waymarking. I do recall the Gary Lewis of GSA started his own site "Earth Trek" and I was a member there, not sure what ever happened to his site. I just found EC's hard to develop, the EC reviewers were helpful to me, most EC's aren't published on the first review, or so I was told.

I don't think GSA is more strict now, but I do think EC's are less popular. I have seen an increase in visits this month just for the sovunier. :laughing:

It has to be based on earth science. But there are all kinds of ways to get there.

One of ours at Fort Jefferson is based on the different clays used in the two types of brick used to build the fort (and how they weather), how the brick fort was built on sand (and how it's settling), and the different corals that were dredged and used for building material.

This one in our current hometown is also based on building materials, specifically, how the cobblestones that define our town were formed.

I have another based on rain gardens, a/k/a bioretention basins, and how they help control erosion and runoff.

I even got one published about a spring, well after they tightened up the rules on waterfalls and springs. I just had to be more creative than, "This is a spring. It has a sign about how much water comes out. Here is a table of magnitude for spring flow. Based on the sign, what magnitude is this spring?"

This is why I think it's more about Earth sciences, not simply geology. Ecology is a common secondary theme, I'm found. Marshes are interesting, and can be connected to tides, water content (minerals - that's geology, right? :P), even the greater geology and history of the region if the CO goes so far.

Add some geology to be safe, but chances are if you have a serious component using an Earth science, it'll qualify as an Earthcache.

This is why I think it's more about Earth sciences, not simply geology. Ecology is a common secondary theme, I'm found. Marshes are interesting, and can be connected to tides, water content (minerals - that's geology, right? :P), even the greater geology and history of the region if the CO goes so far.

Add some geology to be safe, but chances are if you have a serious component using an Earth science, it'll qualify as an Earthcache.

Yeah...it seems like the very name "Earthcache" implies an all-encompassing theme instead of only straight geology-related topics. Otherwise they could've just called 'em "Geocaches"...

errr...

nevermind.... :laughing:

http://coord.info/GC3EDDD

Thanks! I wonder if such an Earthcache would be published today.

(Looked it up myself - from http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=292 )

Not Acceptable:

Biology, Botany, Zoology, Ecology, Atmospheric observations, Oceanographic observations, Geodesy (unless specifically linked to the location), Archeology, History (unless it has a geological theme), a building (unless it has a geological lesson), Engineering (unless it has a geological theme).

So my guess is that it won't be.

This is also the first time I've noticed a premium member only Earthcache.

I've placed 25 traditional caches and was looking to try to expand my horizons with an earthcache. I identified a location and topic that I thought would be a great educational experience. Then I read the guidelines and learnt that earthcaches are limited to geology. I can't find the rationale for that, and I'm curious why that is. My topic was ecological so it wouldn't be accepted. Any insight to share? Thank you.

hzoi gave you some good advice. There are ways to get to the geological aspects of almost any site.

For instance, does the geology drive the ecology in the area? Most of the time, it does. We can try to help you more specifically if you can share a few details.

boo2931 only ever creates PMO caches.

He also is responsible in part for the proliferation of ridiculous challenges in Atlanta.

He's also like 17 and apparently is never in school because he seemingly geocaches all over the state every day of the year.

...oh, but don't get me started...

boo2931 only ever creates PMO caches.

He also is responsible in part for the proliferation of ridiculous challenges in Atlanta.

He's also like 17 and apparently is never in school because he seemingly geocaches all over the state every day of the year.

...oh, but don't get me started...

I’ve had a change in understanding and utilization of PMO Caches. Years ago I viewed them as somewhat “elitist”, today however, in general, I can see a benefit in some respects that a PMO Cache will be found by someone w/a better understanding of the requirements involved in ECs… It saves time in chasing someone down for the answers and argument over whether they should be sent in. It just makes things easier for the CO…

As for the Challenges… they are what they are… nothing more than a challenge…