Virtual Caches

acachebox

Are virtual caches still allowed? I see holder ones that are still active but can I post a new one?

The answer in in the Guidelines.

Before you place any caches, you should thoroughly read the Guidelines. Read them more than once.

Click on the blue text: those are links to open that have more information.

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

B.

What was the reasoning for stopping them?

They were moved to Waymarking.com which is similar to geocaching and is also run by Groundspeak. You can use your same geocaching user name. Check it out.

That's not the reason "why" Virtual geocaches were no longer published.

Doesn't matter. It was Groundspeak's decision way back in 2005 to no longer publish "Virtual" geocaches. "Why" is a moot point at this late date.

B.

They were moved to Waymarking.com which is similar to geocaching and is also run by Groundspeak. You can use your same geocaching user name. Check it out.

Doesn't matter. It was Groundspeak's decision way back in 2005 to no longer publish "Virtual" geocaches. "Why" is a moot point at this late date.

B.

There is no such thing as a moot point. We have become all to complacent to just accept things without reason.

Thanks TreasureHunterDan for your suggestion.

Getting rid of virtual caches has probably been my biggest disappointment with the changes made since 2005. Waymarking just doesn't have the same appeal to me. With virtual caches there was still typically a challenge involved, whether that was actually finding the location, deciphering a puzzle, or obtaining some information. Sure, some were easy, but others could be rather tricky.

I really miss them.

B.

And it is also inaccurrate. Virtuals were not moved to Waymarking. Waymarking was brought online, virtual caches were left on geocaching.com, and it was up to virtual cache owners to relist, or not relsit, them on Waymarking. Same with webcam caches. In any case, the experience of finding virtual caches and finding places on Waymarking are very different from one another.

As to WHY virtuals were canned, I agree with Pup Patrol. It is rather moot. There are so many "why's"; true, made up, assumed, etc.; that it really doen't matter any more. It is not a matter of complacency. It is a matter of TPTB making it pretty darn clear that, on their site at least, virtuals; like traveling caches and webcams are gone and not at all likely to return, especially after their experiment with Challenges.

B.

There is no such thing as a moot point. We have become all to complacent to just accept things without reason.

I agree, that is not a good answer. As best as I understand they overwhelmed the volunteer geocache reviewers. Waymarking has many different categorys with groups that review listings for their categories. I'm a Waymarker and virtual geocacher with listings published on other geocaching services that still have a virtual geocache category. I enjoy taking photos of my GPS adventures, and I like to upload photos of my finds with my logs. I enjoy virtuals. :)

B.

You misunderstood what I meant.

Groundspeak made a decision back in 2005 to no longer publish "Virtual" caches, for whatever reason they had.

I meant that it's a moot point, because all the complaining hasn't changed their mind since then. They later came up with "Waymarking", which they now suggest should take the place of "virtuals".

If you like, you can add your voice to the thread calling for the return of Virtual caches:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312487

B.

B.

What and where do I find and use Waymarking?

You misunderstood what I meant.

Groundspeak made a decision back in 2005 to no longer publish "Virtual" caches, for whatever reason they had.

I meant that it's a moot point, because all the complaining hasn't changed their mind since then. They later came up with "Waymarking", which they now suggest should take the place of "virtuals".

If you like, you can add your voice to the thread calling for the return of Virtual caches:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=312487

B.