Problem submitting waymarks or uploading pictures

PeterNoG

There are not enough Waymarkers world wide for Groundspeak to care. Their business is geocaching, it pays their bills and makes them a profit. No one has to be a Premium Member to be a Waymarker. :) I submitted a new waymark today and encountered a few issues, but it went through. B)

For some reason I thought that there were Waymarking features that you had to be a premium member to use (I'll have to check that, I've been a premium member since 2007). A Waymarking premium member is a premium member of all of the Groundspeak sites, not simply Waymarking, so how do you know if you are giving crappy service to a geocacher that is also a waymarker, or to a waymarker, benchmarker, or someone that does all 3??

PS - if I knew enough about coding and stuff, I would help maintain this site FREE OF CHARGE, but I'm not knowledgeable enough.

We are all volunteers here, we manage this site already, free of charge.

:laughing:

I'm just saying that there is little interest in this site, it's well known that it has been on the back burner for several years. geocaching is widely known, Waymarking is not. Virtual geocaching is just not as popular. So threats of Waymarkers not renewing their PM is not going to effect geocaching enough to concern TBTB. Being a PM here you can vote in peer review, manage categorys, have an ignore list, maybe a few more perks, but what I meant was you do not have to have a PM to list or visit a waymark. My waymarks get few visits, I'm not a PM just because I'm a Waymarker, I'm a geocacher too. I can list my photos on other non-geocaching sites and they do get visited and commented on, and tose sites are free. :ph34r:

We are aware that Waymarking is experiencing downtime pretty frequently in the past few days. It appears to be tied to some issues with the database, which is also used by other projects in the Groundspeak universe. It's a tricky thing to track down when it is sporadic like this, we are working on diagnosing the problem right now and will hopefully have a solution for it soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bootron

There are not enough Waymarkers world wide for Groundspeak to care. Their business is geocaching, it pays their bills and makes them a profit. No one has to be a Premium Member to be a Waymarker. :) I submitted a new waymark today and encountered a few issues, but it went through. B)

For some reason I thought that there were Waymarking features that you had to be a premium member to use (I'll have to check that, I've been a premium member since 2007). A Waymarking premium member is a premium member of all of the Groundspeak sites, not simply Waymarking, so how do you know if you are giving crappy service to a geocacher that is also a waymarker, or to a waymarker, benchmarker, or someone that does all 3??

PS - if I knew enough about coding and stuff, I would help maintain this site FREE OF CHARGE, but I'm not knowledgeable enough.

I'm just saying that there is little interest in this site, it's well known that it has been on the back burner for several years. geocaching is widely known, Waymarking is not. Virtual geocaching is just not as popular. So threats of Waymarkers not renewing their PM is not going to effect geocaching enough to concern TBTB. Being a PM here you can vote in peer review, manage categorys, have an ignore list, maybe a few more perks, but what I meant was you do not have to have a PM to list or visit a waymark. My waymarks get few visits, I'm not a PM just because I'm a Waymarker, I'm a geocacher too. I can list my photos on other non-geocaching sites and they do get visited and commented on, and tose sites are free. :ph34r:

So, "it pays their bills and makes them a profit" was a unintentionally misleading statement?? Maybe they need to find someone that loves Waymarking and get them to manage that part of the system. The dropping PM is not indented as a threat, question is, am I getting my moneys worth?? (My money tree died in the great drought of ??) :D

PS - I pay for and manage two web site, Google ads cover my cost.

Edited by Lat34North

So, "it pays their bills and makes them a profit" was a unintentionally misleading statement?? Maybe they need to find someone that loves Waymarking and get them to manage that part of the system. The dropping PM is not indented as a threat, question is, am I getting my moneys worth?? (My money tree died in the great drought of ??) :D

PS - I pay for and manage two web site, Google ads cover my cost.

I guess I don't have as much love for Waymarking as I do for geocaching. I see this site as a virtual geocaching alternative site. I get my money's worth from the geocaching side, I like PMO geocaches. :anicute: There is just too much bickering here on Waymarking. :laughing: Really, this site is made of of a small group, not that they are category hogs, it is just Waymarking has little interest. :(

I understand that you may not enjoy Waymarking, but is that a reason to ignore those of us that do? When I first started doing Waymarking it was fun and the site worked great. Now I have greatly cut back on my Waymarking, other have dropped out entirely.

------------------------------------

"If you're going to do something,

make it right and make it as good as you can.

Don't waste anybody's time, especially your own."

I understand that you may not enjoy Waymarking, but is that a reason to ignore those of us that do? When I first started doing Waymarking it was fun and the site worked great. Now I have greatly cut back on my Waymarking, other have dropped out entirely.

------------------------------------

"If you're going to do something,

make it right and make it as good as you can.

Don't waste anybody's time, especially your own."

Actually I do enjoy Waymarking, but truth is I am one of the few that does. I introduced two of my officers here to Waymarking and even paid for one's membership. Now one has dropped out and not renewing their membership. I'm not the bad guy here, I did not break this site and I can't fix it either. I can tell you that I do think the site will be fixed soon and that GS is not going to pull the plug on it. :anicute: I logged a Lab cache in Matewan, WV last year during a MEGA event. At that same location was a Benchmark also listed as a Waymark. There was only two of us that logged the Waymark and BM. This is only a side game to geocaching. :o

Problem is that I had gotten my first premium membership after starting waymark visiting and before I posted my first waymark; so I don't know what is PM only. I thought that the ability to download GPX files required PM. After I submit each waymark I download the GPX file to preprocess it and import it into BaseCamp (in a Pending list). If I can't download the GPX file after I let the PM expire, I'll just copy/paste the information from the Waymark page into the waypoint notes in Basecamp. That's if one cannot download a GPX without PM.

It'll be a bit more of a hassle. But I don't do enough geocaching to warrant a PM, and I am not going to pay for something that I am not getting - good service for the Waymarking site.

I still have the problem that the map doesn't update about 60% of the time, and I have to keep refreshing/reloading the web page, or give up and copy/paste the coordinates into Google Earth. So I'm already doing copy/paste just to try to keep things going. Waymarking, with all its problems (like search issues) used to be more robust when I started in late 2012. It has gone downhill too much since then.

We are aware that Waymarking is experiencing downtime pretty frequently in the past few days. It appears to be tied to some issues with the database, which is also used by other projects in the Groundspeak universe. It's a tricky thing to track down when it is sporadic like this, we are working on diagnosing the problem right now and will hopefully have a solution for it soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bootron

Bootron: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DROPPING IN AND SHARING THIS MESSAGE WITH US!!! :) :) :) Yay -- I feel like we are heard and our issues are being taken seriously. I was worried that this was a way to drop Waymarking -- now I see that GS is actively working our error issues. I have hope again :)

Sorry, didn't mean to imply there was some special status for premium members. However, Groundspeak does promise a certain product to all members, and it hasn't been delivering. A few days of problems with a website is acceptable to me, 10 days is ridiculous.

I had zero problems uploading last night around 6 pm AZT, this morning I am not getting the previous log issues I mentioned above but the photo timeout is still an issue.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply there was some special status for premium members. However, Groundspeak does promise a certain product to all members, and it hasn't been delivering. A few days of problems with a website is acceptable to me, 10 days is ridiculous.

I had zero problems uploading last night around 6 pm AZT, this morning I am not getting the previous log issues I mentioned above but the photo timeout is still an issue.

Yes we are having multiple timeout errors uploading photos and a few 500 errors, but 90% of waymarks we are creating are going through with no problems between 0730AM and 1000AM.

UPDATE 1052AM CDT -- Internal connection errors popping up on visits. Uh Oh.

UPDATE 1106AM CDT - Yep, the website is back to having errors on every attempt. I'm off for a while. :(

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

You didn't mention a timezone in your careful estimates of the times.

I absolutely cannot upload a single photograph to Waymarking at this time. Failure after failure. Guess I could write a Java program to keep trying until it works. Kind of automate the madness.

See above: CDT = Central Daylight time :)

I agree -- I cannot upload any photos at 1345 CDT

...It's a tricky thing to track down when it is sporadic like this...

Bootron

I don't believe my eyes ... it is sporadic ...

on the contrary, I think it's very frequent.

web server has own log, there it is possible to see the number of queries and the number of errors <_<

such a large number of errors from a certain time must have some cause (new or defective hardware, a software update ...)

At 2100 CDT the site is working again. This has been the pattern -- 100% errors in the mornings, and working as it should in the evenings. Something regular is causing this -- the question is, what???

I will post in the morning about whether the website is functional at that time or not. At the rate the website is on and off, I will NEVER get through my vacation waymarks. :(

At 2100 CDT the site is working again. This has been the pattern -- 100% errors in the mornings, and working as it should in the evenings. Something regular and scheduled is causing this -- the question is, what???

I will post in the morning about whether the website is functional at that time or not. At the rate the website is on and off, I will NEVER get through my vacation waymarks. :(

0758 CDT -- four visits, four "500 -- page does not exist" errors. Not looking good for any Waymarking today.

What is really frustrating about the 500 error is that you can't even write WMs that only need photos uploaded, so the whole work of this hobby is stopped dead. At least on other days I could write and upload when the site came back.

An error occured in the File Upload Service. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

From 14:00 CET (so minimaly last 6 hours) I'm not able upload any photo... But it's not the first day when that problem appeared. Last two months it is "normal" behavior of the site. And VERY frustrating....

An error occured in the File Upload Service. Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

From 14:00 CET (so minimaly last 6 hours) I'm not able upload any photo... But it's not the first day when that problem appeared. Last two months it is "normal" behavior of the site. And VERY frustrating....

TWO MONTHS??? :0 I have been experiencing this only for the last 10 days :( Do Bootron and others at GS know this has been going on for that long??

OK, this is fun. Trying to renew my premium membership.

Error

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

Then trying to get to the forum

Error. (did not copy that one)

Update --------------------------------------

Had to go to the Groundspeak site and do it from there.

Edited by Lat34North

CDT I understand since that the zone I'm in too, but AZT and CET are confusing. Since most of jennyanykind's caches are from Arizona, I assume AZT is Arizona time but if you Google AZT most hits are for Azerbaijan Time. I think to most people, Arizona is either MST or MDT.

CET is likely Central European Time but that could be Central European Standard Time (GMT+1) or

Central European Summer Time (GMT+2)

anyway

At 13:00 CDT (GMT-6) I had no problem upload photos

Again at 15:00, still no problem

CDT I understand since that the zone I'm in too, but AZT and CET are confusing. Since most of jennyanykind's caches are from Arizona, I assume AZT is Arizona time but if you Google AZT most hits are for Azerbaijan Time. I think to most people, Arizona is either MST or MDT.

CET is likely Central European Time but that could be Central European Standard Time (GMT+1) or

Central European Summer Time (GMT+2)

anyway

At 13:00 CDT (GMT-6) I had no problem upload photos

Again at 15:00, still no problem

Yes, AZT is Arizona Time. They do that because Arizona does not follow US Daylight savings time, so they do their own thing. We just spent 2 weeks wandering around in NM AZ UT NV and CA, and AZ was always an hour ahead or behind ha ha ha

1500 CDT here in Dallas and all is working well

Suddenly I am getting sql errors on visit photo uploads again, and my last 2 visit comments have ended in 500 errors -- 1514 CDT

The website has also slowed waaaaaaaay down :(

Just got this error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Here we go again, and just after I got an email from Carly at GS Support. :(

1545 CDT -- File uploads are terminating in 500 errors consistently again. I am done for the afternoon -- will try again around 2100 CDT in Dallas.

Hi there,

Groundspeak is working on the issue so we should give them some time to fix it. :antenna:

This is what I got today from carly:

"Hi Laura,

Correct, it is a server issue and number of other issues (including coding). It typically occurs at the same time every day. Our IT team is working on it all day too, hoping to solve it.

Kindly,

Carly

Community Manager"

Andreas -- I agree 100% that we should give them time to fix it. My concern was that our issue with the WM website was not being worked with urgency.

This has been affecting us for over 10 days. I think this community has given them time. I also believe that the WM community has been very patient and polite about the continuous (and as yet unresolved) problems. :)

I am proud of us :) :) :)

It's not just the Waypoint marking problem, it's their website. Since early on Aug. 26th (yesterday) thru entire day today, Geocaching.com has displayed some big problems. Personal Cache Notes cannot be accessed AT ALL, Cache logs are no longer automatically displaying, View Larger Map is GONE, chiefly amoung them. This problem has arisen in the past a few other times, and usually sorted itself out within a day.....but not this time. Someone is asleep at the program wheel. H-E-L-L-O....Groundspeak! Time to WAKE UP and "flip a switch" or something!! THIS is becoming a real hassle!!

You know what I do? I take my camera and discover a new city, no need to go to the website today, we also will search a geocache and tomorrow or at the weekend the site will be working perfectly again, so where is the problem. :laughing:

HA! Andreas, I love you, man! You have THE BEST attitude :)

In your honor, today I will take out my camera and find a new icon to capture when the website returns to functionality. Lwt me look at my list (I have an Excel spreadsheet for my WMs)

HAVE A GREAT DAY :)

You know what I do? I take my camera and discover a new city, no need to go to the website today, we also will search a geocache and tomorrow or at the weekend the site will be working perfectly again, so where is the problem. :laughing:

In your honor, today I will take out my camera and find a new icon to capture when the website returns to functionality. Lwt me look at my list (I have an Excel spreadsheet for my WMs)

Thanks! We have a great day, it's my birthday. :grin:

Usual report - last few days, lots of morning glitches, must better at night my time (yes, AZT is Arizona time, we never change the clocks and so we switch between Mountain time from November - March and Pacific Time the rest of the year. Never having to turn the clocks backwards or forwards is nice, though since my family is in Philadelphia I have to mentally adjust contact times for them every few months.)

I suppose I'll follow the advice of the last two posts and go find some new places to waymark. Here's hoping the site works when I want to post them.

Well then, let us serenade you:

Happy Birthday to You --

You live in a Zoo!

You look like a monkey,

And you smell like one too!

ha ha ha -- just kidding :)

Here's the real one:

Raising a beer stein of good German lager beer (not bland boring American lager): HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Andreas -- Y'ALL have a good 'un!!

Usual report - last few days, lots of morning glitches, must better at night my time (yes, AZT is Arizona time, we never change the clocks and so we switch between Mountain time from November - March and Pacific Time the rest of the year. Never having to turn the clocks backwards or forwards is nice, though since my family is in Philadelphia I have to mentally adjust contact times for them every few months.)

I suppose I'll follow the advice of the last two posts and go find some new places to waymark. Here's hoping the site works when I want to post them.

We are experiencing the same, and are completely unable to upload photos. So we are creating waymarks and saving them to submit later when the photo uploader straightens out. That seems a good use of the hour I have until the real work of the day gets started :)

...so we are two here born in the same day ;) 28.VIII.

Then Happy birthday to y'all too, DT :)

THX :)

Then Happy birthday to y'all too, DT :)

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue as y'all: Can't seem to get photo uploads through without server timeouts. I'm in the Central Time Zone, and this has been going on for at least a week for me. It's not a browser or computer issue, as I've tried multiple browsers on multiple computers (even a Chromebook and my Mac), and it seems it's worse in the morning hours. Last night, I went to town with the uploads, without much incident, but this morning, I think I've managed to upload about five photos in three or four hours.

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue as y'all: Can't seem to get photo uploads through without server timeouts. I'm in the Central Time Zone, and this has been going on for at least a week for me. It's not a browser or computer issue, as I've tried multiple browsers on multiple computers (even a Chromebook and my Mac), and it seems it's worse in the morning hours. Last night, I went to town with the uploads, without much incident, but this morning, I think I've managed to upload about five photos in three or four hours.

Howdy neighbor -- yes this is our life too. No go in mornings and early afternoons, then a window, then no-go around 1500 CDT, then fine at night. :(

Hey - while I have got you, thanks for all the visits to our WMs! :)

It's a good thing I'm a night owl. I saw how some folks were saying that it picked up some time in the evening Pacific time, which is 2 hours after us in Central. But I stayed up late and went through the 7 waymarks I had ready. I think I got one photo timeout, but otherwise everything worked.

Then when two of them had been approved by morning, I tried to record the visits. Both times it delayed a looooong while and reported an error. But in both cases it had recorded the visits.

The work around is that you have to do the computer side of Waymarking when it is nighttime in Seattle. (Is that a song or something?)

Maybe we should threaten the IT guys with these things until it's fixed. That would hurry 'em up.

The servers go on a lark

Each day that we Waymark.

So fix 'em they must,

Or our brains will go bust!

Don't leave us all in the dark.

There once was an IT guy from Groundspeak

Whose servers (we think) sprung a big leak.

They wrestled and fought

But t'was all yet for naught --

As the waymarkers still writhe in a pique.

You see what you have started, MW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:signalviolin:

As I walked down in the Streets of Waymark,

As I walked out Waymarking one day,

I spied a young server all wrapped in white linen;

Wrapped up in white linen and cold as the clay.

I see by your outfit, that you are a web host.

These words he did say as I slowly walked by.

Come sit down beside me and hear my sad story,

For I'm shot in the database, and today I must die.

:signalviolin:

As I walked down in the Streets of Waymark,

As I walked out Waymarking one day,

I spied a young server all wrapped in white linen;

Wrapped up in white linen and cold as the clay.

I see by your outfit, that you are a web host.

These words he did say as I slowly walked by.

Come sit down beside me and hear my sad story,

For I'm shot in the database, and today I must die.

:D :D :D :D :P LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! :)