Cache count incorrect

PlantAKiss

Hello all

Before asking this question I looked on the web site for answers and did a search and didn't see anything that helped.

I noticed some time ago that the number on my cache count is way off. I should have over 300 hunts but I noticed quite some time ago that it said 95. I stopped caching for a good while due to health/financial/time issues and my GPS died. I didn't (still don't) have the money to replace it. So I started using my iPhone so I can do a little bit here and there. Battery life keeps me from hunting like I WANT to.

Aaannyyyway...I would like my hunt count to be accurate since, while I don't have thousands, I did earn what I SHOULD have. (I believe the last correct number was 306.) . This isn't a matter of the counts being slow to update or anything. I've noticed recent finds have updated. But about 2/3 of PAST numbers are MIA.

Does anyone know how I can get this problem corrected?

Thank you for any help!

-Suzanne/PAK

If you're off by that far, then the best explanation is that you have two accounts and you've gotten them confused.

Most people complaining of inaccurate counts are typically only off by a handful, and in almost all cases, those end up being duplicate finds or duplicate logs.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. When you returned to geocaching, did you login using your original account? Or did you create a new account? If you can remember the name of your old account or the email address associated with it, then Groundspeak may be able to help you sort this out. Go to any page on the geocaching.com site, scroll to the bottom, and click on the Contact Us link at the bottom.

Can you work out -timewise- where the caches are missing from?

eg Is it a block of caches at a certain time period, or are they 'everywhere' between caches that are showing on the site.

So far:

Two accounts.

GPS caches not logged.

New account when you got the phone...

The two accounts is my favourite guess, followed by GPS caches not logged. :)

Thanks for the replies. But FOR SURE:

1) I have/had only the one account.

2) My hunt number was around 300 at the time my GPSr died on me (several years ago). After 300 finds I knew/know how to log. Although I stopped (unwillingly) for a time, I'm not a new to procedures or rules. (Although I have noticed a few things have changed...)

3) At the time I did the majority of my caching, I hunted with a GPSr and logged at home on my computer. Any caching I've done via iPhone has been relatively recent compared to my previous caching "life" with my real GPSr. So it's not related to caching with a phone. I only cache with a phone now due to being unemployed and broke. If life ever goes back to "normal," I hope to have a GPSr again some day.

4) Hey! I don't have any finds deleted by COs! That I know of! lol

5) I will look to find an example of a cache I've logged that is not on my count.

I noticed the "95" number as my count quite a while ago but life has been rough and it's not something I had time to deal with 'til now. But recent events have given me a smidge of time to cache (with my phone) and so I thought I'd see what happened to my number. I want all my falls, scratches, cuts, bruises, mosquito and spider bites to count for something!! :laughing: (I prefer bushwacking-type caches.)

Thanks for the questions...I'll see if I can find a missing logged cache.

I'm still looking but I'm seeing A LOT of new caches (yay!) and some that I found that are archived. If a cache gets archived, does it go off your count? (Not that I'd think 200 past caches have been archived...). Just wondering. I'm not going to remember the name of every cache I found but there are certainly many that were memorable.

I'm still looking but I'm seeing A LOT of new caches (yay!) and some that I found that are archived. If a cache gets archived, does it go off your count? (Not that I'd think 200 past caches have been archived...). Just wondering. I'm not going to remember the name of every cache I found but there are certainly many that were memorable.

No, if a cache (or event) gets archived, it does not affect your "finds" count.

B.

Well....these two I POSITIVELY found and I have no “smiley.”

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC50Y18_village-cache (this one required some “height” and I’m short so I had to have my giant friend retrieve it for me).

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3K98Q_bandy-trail (I remember having to pretend photographing some wisteria when non-cachers came by and also seeing a bunny in the field). At the time, this was the only cache in this tiny little park and I had never been there before.

For example, there is a park near my house. There were about 5 caches there and I had found ALL of them. Now, there are caches that didn’t exist at that time and it seems like 2-3 that I found are not listed any more. One was a TB Hotel in a very large ammo can and I do not see a TB hotel listed at all. When I look on the map of the park, I have 2 finds only. And before someone says it, YES I REMEMBER these caches. I'm not getting mixed up with another park. It's right around the corner from me and I go there often and knew where all the caches are (or were).

I looked at “all” my logs. It says 133. Of those 133 a huge amount has been archived. Even if they were not archived, 133 is not 300. I remember being so excited when I hit 300. I don't get to cache all that often so it was a long, slow climb to that number.

I’m heartbroken. While I believe in “the journey,” it’s nice to have a visible record of your efforts. I don’t understand. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm glad there are lots of new caches around. After I repair my own, I can look for these new ones.

Do you recall roughly when you originally found those caches? I got the impression this was a few years ago, but the first one you linked to was only placed this past March. Maybe there used to be a different cache at that spot that was archived and replaced by this newer one?

What might be really helpful is if you have some old photos taken while finding one of the missing caches. That way, we'd be able to determine exactly when you found the cache. There are ways to find archived caches for a specific spot, so we could then look at the logs on that cache around when you found it to see if there are any clues.

I looked at "all" my logs. It says 133. Of those 133 a huge amount has been archived. Even if they were not archived, 133 is not 300. I remember being so excited when I hit 300. I don't get to cache all that often so it was a long, slow climb to that number.

Out of curiousity, how did you know that you hit 300? It sounds like you were keeping track using some other manner than looking at the find count on the web site.

I looked at "all" my logs. It says 133. Of those 133 a huge amount has been archived. Even if they were not archived, 133 is not 300. I remember being so excited when I hit 300. I don't get to cache all that often so it was a long, slow climb to that number.

Out of curiousity, how did you know that you hit 300? It sounds like you were keeping track using some other manner than looking at the find count on the web site.

I thought this same thing.

I also wonder when "a good long while" was, considering one of the example caches was hid in 2014.

So... my guess is that you hit 300 but were counting your caches somewhere other than Groundspeak. Maybe on your gps? Maybe in a notebook?

It is possible but I don't think likely that your :)Found it! got deleted. If this is the case, you can ask Groundspeak to check/reinstate your log. They can see (behind the scenes) any logs that were ever there on a cache page.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC50Y18_village-cache (this one required some “height” and I’m short so I had to have my giant friend retrieve it for me).

That one was published this year. Was it one you found using your phone?

Was the friend also a geocacher? If so, did he/she log it as found?

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3K98Q_bandy-trail (I remember having to pretend photographing some wisteria when non-cachers came by and also seeing a bunny in the field). At the time, this was the only cache in this tiny little park and I had never been there before.

Again, a fairly recently published cache.

Don't suppose you actually took some photos while caching? It's the camera recording the date that I rely upon...a lot.

B.

The Bandy Trail link goes to a cache placed in 2012 although there is one placed in 2014. [Honestly, I would think my Bandy field find would have been prior to 2012. My GPSr died several years ago and I found that long before I had a phone app.] There are two caches currently...Bandy Trail and Bandy Forest. Perhaps the cache I found is no longer there but there is no archive for another Bandy hide. ??? Dunno about that one...all I know is I had a find in Bandy field and at that time there was only ONE cache there (it's mostly a big open field where people run their dogs except for a very small wooded area).

I did not log any finds (or DNFs) anywhere but here. I've never used any other geocaching site. This was always THE site.

No one has access to my computer. I may have logged some finds on my work computer. I have done some caches on my lunch hour (when I had a job).

I would see my hunt numbers on this site when I logged and more recently on my phone **which is when I noticed the count said 95**. Although my finds had dramatically decreased over the past few years after my GPSr died, I used to cache whenever possible although I wasn't adventurous in driving to distant locations by myself. They were mostly local finds. But over the past 8 years or so, I've found more than 95 caches. Hell, you can find 5 caches in one day fairly easily. So it wouldn't take 8 years to get to 95. :blink:

How would a photo prove a find that is missing?? I took MANY photos when caching but I didn't post that many. They were mostly for my own enjoyment. But I'll look at see if I recognize any of my photos from a missing cache find. Needle in a haystack.

My guess is they are just gone and I'll never get 'em back. But I know I'm not crazy. There were 5 caches I found in Bryan Park near my house...only 2 are showing on the map of the park. And the Village Shopping Center cache I posted the link to...where is that smiley? I found that at night (high muggle area) so prolly not a pic of it.

Anyway...I'll look...

But thanks everyone for all the help.

For example, there is a park near my house. There were about 5 caches there and I had found ALL of them. Now, there are caches that didn’t exist at that time and it seems like 2-3 that I found are not listed any more. One was a TB Hotel in a very large ammo can and I do not see a TB hotel listed at all. When I look on the map of the park, I have 2 finds only. And before someone says it, YES I REMEMBER these caches. I'm not getting mixed up with another park. It's right around the corner from me and I go there often and knew where all the caches are (or were).

I looked at “all” my logs. It says 133. Of those 133 a huge amount has been archived. Even if they were not archived, 133 is not 300. I remember being so excited when I hit 300. I don't get to cache all that often so it was a long, slow climb to that number.

I’m heartbroken. While I believe in “the journey,” it’s nice to have a visible record of your efforts. I don’t understand. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm glad there are lots of new caches around. After I repair my own, I can look for these new ones.

This is a new cache (since March) Some of the logs on this cache refer to another one that was in the same place before--is it possible that the cache you found could be the one that was there before? Could you maybe look up the logs on this cache and contact one or more of the finders who refer to the other cache and ask them for the GC code of the previous cache, so you can check your logs for it?

Something very strange is going on here and many people are trying to help you figure it out. Please try to be patient while everyone asks whatever questions they think might help to get at the answers.

Edit:

http://www.geocachin...98Q_bandy-trail

Are you sure this was the cache you found in that park? There are others now and there may even have been some that have been archived. Logs on this cache say that the coordinates are off, so even a cache with slightly different published coordinates could have been in the same location.

Edited by NanCycle

It is possible but I don't think likely that your :)Found it! got deleted. If this is the case, you can ask Groundspeak to check/reinstate your log. They can see (behind the scenes) any logs that were ever there on a cache page.

Neither of the caches cited by the OP have any deleted logs by the OP. So, we would need to look at other examples. Otherwise, the diagnosis thus far is that the logs were never entered on the cache listings.

I noticed on the Village Shopping Center Cache that it shows hide date of 2014. THAT is definitely not the one I found a long time ago, but its DEFINITELY hidden in the exact same place.

So what happens when someone gives up their cache? But lets someone take over for them. Does that cache "start over" as if its a brand new cache? It has the same hint as before (because I had to use it)!

If the stats show the cache as starting in 2014, then how could I have found it earlier than that? I guess they just dump the counts and reset when the new owner take over.

I've got pics of found hides but nothing identifying in the pic. I have my dog standing on top of the huge ammo can TB Hotel...That one doesnt seem to be there any more...and pics of several other Bryan Park hides that aren't showing up.

I'm confused and defeated. :sad:

95 finds in 8 years.......disheartening. I thought it would just be a matter of a snag in the system because I stopped caching for a while. I didn't think I'd get looked at like there are snakes coming out of my head (I don't mean that in a mean way. Everyone has been helpful...)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. :-)

Edited by PlantAKiss

I noticed on the Village Shopping Center Cache that it shows hide date of 2014. THAT is definitely not the one I found a long time ago, but its DEFINITELY hidden in the exact same place.

So what happens when someone gives up their cache? But lets someone take over for them. Does that cache "start over" as if its a brand new cache? It has the same hint as before (because I had to use it)!

If the stats show the cache as starting in 2014, then how could I have found it earlier than that? I guess they just dump the counts and reset when the new owner take over.

I've got pics of found hides but nothing identifying in the pic. I have my dog standing on top of the huge ammo can TB Hotel...That one doesnt seem to be there any more...and pics of several other Bryan Park hides that aren't showing up.

I'm confused and defeated. :sad:

95 finds in 8 years.......disheartening. I thought it would just be a matter of a snag in the system because I stopped caching for a while. I didn't think I'd get looked at like there are snakes coming out of my head (I don't mean that in a mean way. Everyone has been helpful...)

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. :-)

Keystone was kind enough to peek behind the scenes... Thanks Keystone! and your logs on the mentioned caches never existed.

When a cache is archived (even if somebody puts a new cache at the exact spot) your :)Found it! still exists on the old, archived cache. It still counts in your count.

If somebody creates a new cache in the exact same place, they probably would use the same hint if it was a good one.

When a cache is adopted, it keeps the same date upon which it was hidden, and you would still have your :)Found it! log on the same cache page, and it still counts in your finds count.

You can still see archived caches, and all of the logs on them.

My current theories:

1. You're just messing with us?

2. Your "found" logs for many of these caches existed only on your broken gps ... and you only thought you logged them online?

3. You were using some alternative gps stash seeking site that happens to have hides in similar locations?

Lots of people take very long breaks from caching for various reasons. If they are able to still use their original sign in they still have all of their old stats.

Is it possible that there is a corrupt memory file related to the number of finds you thought you had all those years ago? I know my memory of certain stats from some of my old hobbies are not always correct, like number of wins in RC car races. Maybe you just remember a different number of finds from back then?

Looks like the cache you found at this location was GCNM4B Return of the Village People:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCNH4B_return-of-the-village-people

Your log on 2/17/07:

FINALLY! I found someone who could help me get this cache. I've known where it was for a good while, but being "vertigo-ically challenged", I needed assistance. Nice hide! Saw a really cute TINY Schnauzer puppy in the parking lot. SL TFTH!

You were with SweetVABreeze and her son Snoop Dog-E, who was the tall person who reached the cache for you.

Question on this one solved with the help of Project Geocaching.

Edited: There are 9 archived caches in and around Bryan Park that you found. All of these, as well as the "Village People" are included in your 98 Finds.

Edited by NanCycle

Question: it's been a while since I used the official GC app...but wasn't there a "save" option different from a "send" option for logging the caches? Is it possible she saved her logs, but never actually sent them to the site?

She says that she was not using her phone until recently. My thought was that possibly her count came from a similar situation with her (now broken) gps.

Question: it's been a while since I used the official GC app...but wasn't there a "save" option different from a "send" option for logging the caches? Is it possible she saved her logs, but never actually sent them to the site?

She says that she was not using her phone until recently. My thought was that possibly her count came from a similar situation with her (now broken) gps.

I know that on my Garmin Oregon I can select "log attempt" after I've started navigation. It gives me the option of Found, Did Not Find, Needs Repair, and Unattempted. It then gives me the option of "Find Another Cache". Presumably, that allows the GPS to keep track of which caches I've attempted. It does *not*, however submit a Found It log to the geocaching.com site.

I'm still not clear where the 300 finds or "I looked at “all” my logs. It says 133." comes from. Does "all logs" mean Found It plus DNF, Notes, Needs Maintenance, etc logs? Is that the number you see when you go to this url: http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1

I think NanCycle solved the mystery about the two specifc caches that were posted. In both cases, it appears the logs were posted on caches that are currently archived. That still means that there are over 200 caches which the OP believes she found and logged that aren't showing up in the current stats.

The reason why I thought some old photos might help is that it would help identify a cache you had found long ago, and exactly when you found it. Can you tell from the photos where you were, provide some rough coordinates, and look at the data on the file to see when the photo was taken? Someone else here can then try to look up the archived cache and we can see if there's a log from you on that date or if there's anything else fishy around that date.

I know that on my Garmin Oregon I can select "log attempt" after I've started navigation. It gives me the option of Found, Did Not Find, Needs Repair, and Unattempted. It then gives me the option of "Find Another Cache". Presumably, that allows the GPS to keep track of which caches I've attempted. It does *not*, however submit a Found It log to the geocaching.com site.

I'm still not clear where the 300 finds or "I looked at “all” my logs. It says 133." comes from. Does "all logs" mean Found It plus DNF, Notes, Needs Maintenance, etc logs? Is that the number you see when you go to this url: http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1

I think NanCycle solved the mystery about the two specifc caches that were posted. In both cases, it appears the logs were posted on caches that are currently archived. That still means that there are over 200 caches which the OP believes she found and logged that aren't showing up in the current stats.

Yeah, I did nothing to solve the original question. Just eliminated one of the wrong possibilities. I'd sure like to know what the heck is going on.

I agree Nancycle. I would love to get to the bottom of this. As it stands, it seems as if the most logical answer is that the find count was on the now-broken gps.

Her only very significantly long dry spell was 2009-2012. She noticed "quite some while ago" that the count had changed. When is quite some time ago? 2012? Five months ago? Also, when did the gps break, and does she still have it to see if the count is in the memory?

Also, she did say "hunt" count. Is she counting the number of times she searched for anything (including DNF and notes?). I have one cache I looked for seven times before getting a smiley. My "hunt" count would probably be more than double my "find" count as well.

I agree Nancycle. I would love to get to the bottom of this. As it stands, it seems as if the most logical answer is that the find count was on the now-broken gps.

Her only very significantly long dry spell was 2009-2012. She noticed "quite some while ago" that the count had changed. When is quite some time ago? 2012? Five months ago? Also, when did the gps break, and does she still have it to see if the count is in the memory?

Also, she did say "hunt" count. Is she counting the number of times she searched for anything (including DNF and notes?). I have one cache I looked for seven times before getting a smiley. My "hunt" count would probably be more than double my "find" count as well.

I think the simplest, and most likely explanation, is that the finds were never logged on the site, so they were never lost. The OP has not confirmed that at one time the site listed the 300 some finds. Could it be she uploaded field notes but never edited the logs? Not sure how that field note thing works since I don't use it, now or ever. If so, they probably are still in her account. Could it be she thinks if they are marked found on her GPS they are also marked found on the site?

simplest, and most likely explanation, is that the finds were never logged on the site, so they were never lost. The OP has not confirmed that at one time the site listed the 300 some finds. Could it be she uploaded field notes but never edited the logs? Not sure how that field note thing works since I don't use it, now or ever. If so, they probably are still in her account. Could it be she thinks if they are marked found on her GPS they are also marked found on the site?

Good observation. I didn't realize you could upload your field notes to the site without having them go to the cache page logs. I have never used field notes either.

Yeah, it does seem like the simplest, most likely explanation does have something to do with marking "found" on the gps and the information being "lost" somewhere in-between that and the cache page.

I find myself obsessing over this now.

Yes, it's definitely worth it for the OP to visit the field notes page to see if anything is saved there. If yes, click the links and start logging the long-ago finds! I'm right in the middle of using my field notes to log finds from my vacation in the Pacific Northwest last week. The field notes from a week ago guide me right from cache to cache.

If there's nothing there, at least we've ruled out another possible explanation.

Yeah, it does seem like the simplest, most likely explanation does have something to do with marking "found" on the gps and the information being "lost" somewhere in-between that and the cache page.

At this point it might also be useful to understand what kind of GPS that PlantAKiss was using. That way we'd know if the GPS she was using even had the capability of "logging" caches as found on here GPS. On my Garmin there is a geocache_visits file which appears to have a list of caches I've marked as found on the GPS (I've never actually used the file for anything) but and older, non-geocache friendly GPS wouldn't have a log of found geocaches.

I was using a Garmin Quest. And yes, I know that is not the typical GPSr. But I wanted one that was for both car navigation and trail and it worked GREAT! I loved it! It gave me a nice, large map. I'd have my cache list and go out and mark what I found or didn't find. [Yes, I try to say "hunt" because they were not all finds!] Then I'd log my results at home on my computer on this site. I used GSAK for a while but that was using my work computer as I'm Mac at home and there is no Mac version of GSAK. I could not log anything from my Quest because it really was more for car or trail navigation, not geocaching.

Then one day my GPSr started telling me I was standing 300 miles off the coast of the Outer Banks in the ocean. I'm sure it was the battery but its not the kind of battery you can replace on your own. Some time much after that I discovered the geocaching app and I put that on my iPhone. Since that time I've cached sporadically due to difficult life issues over the past 3 years and the fact that while the phone does work well, the battery life isn't enough to do any extended caching. I don't have all the exact dates and times in my memory. I never thought remembering such things were important because...my hunt counts were online in my account.

I never used field notes and that link showed I didn't have any.

I found many pics of caches and TBs I found. Nice trip through memory lane including one of my dog (who later died) standing on top of the TB hotel in Bryan Park that I don't think is there any more. I only looked through some. I have THOUSANDS of photos on my computer and phone. (That's what I do for fun...I crawl the woods taking photos). So I don't know if I have any pics that could prove an ID of a currently missing cache hunt to this community. I know because I clearly remember quite a few of the caches I've found. A lot of what I found has been archived. A lot of really good ones too. :-(

I was pretty straight forward with my caching. I printed out the listings (unless using GSAK), logged my adventures as finds or DNFs. Wrote nice logs from home on my computer because I appreciate getting nice logs. I didn't use "fancy" features. I followed the rules. I'm sure there are caches I found but forgot to log. But I didn't forget to log over 200 hunts. That would be 2/3 of my caching history.

I thought there would be some simple answer to my question. But thank you to everyone who has put their thinking cap on about it.

As I understand it, logs are never actually deleted - just archived. If you actually logged those caches, the logs are there even if they aren't visible. Perhaps you should use the Help Centre to talk to someone who can look into that for you.

That might be the only viable option at this point. I think we've largely exhausted the type of investigation we can do from this side. Groundspeak may be able to do a search of the database to see if there are any archived logs and might be able to tell why so many are missing.

So far, every answers to the OP have supposed that no information can be lost on the website of geocaching. If I agree that it is generally true, could we say that it is always true? Could it be possible that some information on geocaching site was lost at some time during an upgrade of the website?

I ask because, back in 2010 or 2011, during an upgrade, all the final coords on our mystery and multicache disappeared (or at least I have never managed to retrieve them on my own cache listing, so I had to put them again).

So I ask a theoretical question : although unlikely, is it possible that some information passed through the cracks and was lost during an upgrade (say for example, information on inactive player at the moment of the upgrade)?

Feminine part of the Blurman team

PS. Sorry for the mistakes in english (although I understand, I’m not fluent in english and it is hard to express myself in this langage).

<snip>I should have over 300 hunts but I noticed quite some time ago that it said 95. <snip>

<snip>

<snip>I'd have my cache list and go out and mark what I found or didn't find. [Yes, I try to say "hunt" because they were not all finds!] <snip>

So I don't know if I have any pics that could prove an ID of a currently missing cache hunt to this community. I know because I clearly remember quite a few of the caches I've found. A lot of what I found has been archived. A lot of really good ones too. :-(

<snip>

I'm sure there are caches I found but forgot to log. But I didn't forget to log over 200 hunts. That would be 2/3 of my caching history.

I thought there would be some simple answer to my question. But thank you to everyone who has put their thinking cap on about it.

Bold added by me.

You have 300 hunts. You state that "hunts" means that you looked for it at all. 300 hunts is not the same as 300 finds. It will never be reflected in your find count that way.

You clearly remember caches you have found, and they were archived. Those that you have shared we can still see and see that you have a log. The fact that they are archived in no way changes your find count.

If you find an old notebook (or whatever) listing a cache you found, you are still able to log it on archived caches by the way.

You have absolutely nothing to "prove" to this community. I believe you did go on 300 (or more) hunts. I don't think a single one of us doubt that. Even if we did... so what? You have nothing to prove to weird antisocial digital strangers.

Maybe just look at it as an opportunity to revisit the park and find more caches?

This is the way I see it. If you've stopped caching for a while, maybe just go find those caches again. It will likely be a nice trip down memory lane. For archived caches, I would just log them again with an explanation. I'm sure most cache owners will understand.

As for the disappearing logs, I guess the hamsters got hungry. :ph34r:

Edited by The_Incredibles_