TB cacher has it

mar1sa

I'm not even as optimistic as niraD about this TB reappearing. I'd consider it gone forever. That being said, there's no good reason to do anything about it. I'm not sure what you're thinking of doing to wipe it off your list, but the best place for the TB to be listed in the possession of this ex-cacher who's forgotten about it, since that's where it is as far as we know.

but the cacher has only found 9 caches and hasnt been back on the website since April...

June. The listed "last visit" date may be April, but his last find was two months later.

Edit: you're right, though. He hasn't visited the website since April.

Website visit date is a really poor indicator of activity. Smartphone activity does not register, I don't think API activity registers. The best indicator of caching activity is the last logged cache. And if a person users a smartphone to cache, sending email is like talking to a brick wall. They may well nt monitor their email account, or the email account listed is a throw away email account.

Some times they just pop up out of no where.

It really is possible for a cache to show up.

Our trackable was placed in a cache in Michigan in late April. A couple days later a cacher posted a log that the trackable was not in the cache. At the end of May the CO posted a note that the trackable was missing from the cache and marked it as missing.

Today -- 3 months after the CO marked it missing -- a cacher logged that she had grabbed that trackable from that same cache that it was supposed to be missing from.

Don't get in a hurry to give up on your trackable.

I released a trackable in October of 2011.

It was retrieved, moved from Toronto to a cache in Banff from where it went missing.

A month later it was inexplicably grabbed by someone in Oakland, CA.

A month after that, it was placed in a cache in San Francisco.

From there it was retrieved the same day and moved back up to Vancouver by an awesome cacher. They almost lost it themselves (and made a supreme effort to recover it, although it turned out to be in their coat pocket).

Because they're awesome, they visited it a number of times to some cool caches, including one of its stated objectives, then placed it in a relevant cache in BC that would have been another of its objectives eventually.

There it sat for two months and was retrieved by a someone who alleged they would place it in the next cache they found. That was the last log, in October of 2012.

Mine was the only trackable on their profile; they found a bunch of caches after that and haven't logged into the website in more than 18 months. They must be an app user because their last logged find was just over a year ago.

The trackable is important. It means something. I have faith that it will turn up again, and that story will be another thread added to the tapestry that is its history.

On a related note, if anyone in BC wants to see if they can reverse-engineer the cacher who has it (who hasn't responded to my two contact attempts), that'd be great!

Personal, I would wait for a bit longer, say January or something... Then if it had not re-surfaced, mark it missing, then if you like, you can release the copy tag, one of the various brands of proxy tags, or a home made proxy tag.

Oh I didnt know you could do that

A funny TB story I recently had was a TB of a fish lure. I am into fishing. One of our local cachers moved many states away. His new caching friend was at a garage sale and was looking at the containers and kids toys and told the family having the garage sale he was looking for geocaching items. They said we used to do that for a while and we have something we found in one. It was that TB. They went and found it. He asked if he could move it on and they said sure. It ended up in my friends hands and he brought it here for me. So after many years missing it is back in play.