Logs in other languages

-CJ-

Sometimes it seem like some view the guidelines as a challenge. Instead of trying to understand the reason behind the guideline, and comply with it, they'll come up with a semantic interpretation of the language that allows them to get away with something that the guideline is trying to prevent.

I totally agree with this... And when I see things like these, and talk to the reviewers or post something on a cache, I´m called CACHE COP!

But it´s the same in everything in life, some just think that they are "smarter" or "wiser" than others and don´t have to follow some guidelines made, in my opinion, to protect the quality of the game.

This is society, the majority wins. Like the reviewers say: "Work with the reviewers not against them" but the fact is, most people don´t like the reviewers, considered them "constrainers of the creative movement" and instead of helping them in their work, they try to bend the guidelines in order to have their wishes fulfilled.

These for me are egoist people, more worried about their personal objectives rather than a common objective that for me, in geocaching, should be:

"Have fun, respect the game, nature and others"

I have continued this issue in another TOPIC HERE not to spoil this OP topic... please answer there!

Edited by JPreto

Sometimes it seem like some view the guidelines as a challenge. Instead of trying to understand the reason behind the guideline, and comply with it, they'll come up with a semantic interpretation of the language that allows them to get away with something that the guideline is trying to prevent.

First, neither of the sources you cited are the Groundspeak guidelines. They are simply advice on how to geocache.

Secondly, I agree some people certainly twist guidelines (and "how to" advice) to suit their own purposes.

First, neither of the sources you cited are the Groundspeak guidelines. They are simply advice on how to geocache.

Secondly, I agree some people certainly twist guidelines (and "how to" advice) to suit their own purposes.

Come on, let´s not spoil the Original Post... can we please continue HERE?

Edited by JPreto

[ I wasn't suggesting that it should *only* be used for sharing ones experience with the CO and other geocachers, but it's pretty obvious to me that the intent of that guideline is to suggest it's the primary reason. If someone writes that they write logs primarily for their personal benefit and then points out the that guidelines don't specially state that is how it's supposed to be used that just comes across to me as if they're looking for a semantic interpretation of the guideline to justify their actions.

I cannot find the statement where someone wrote that they write logs for their own *benefit*. How do you draw the border between the personal motivation of someone to write up some text (not necessarily a geocaching log, could also be a novel, a short story whatever) and the motivation to share something with others?

Do you really write your logs with specific focus on the cache owner? Do you refrain from mentioning stuff that is interesting for you and some other cachers if you know that the cache owner is not interested into this stuff?

Do you use very simple language if you know that the cache owner has a low level of education?

Geocachers are a diverse group of people who cache and write logs for many diverse reasons. I think it's unreasonable to expect them all to have a single primary purpose when they log.

I'm not expecting a single primary purpose. I just think it's selfish to broadcast a log to everyone when it's only useful to you.

Geocachers are a diverse group of people who cache and write logs for many diverse reasons. I think it's unreasonable to expect them all to have a single primary purpose when they log.

I'm not expecting a single primary purpose. I just think it's selfish to broadcast a log to everyone when it's only useful to you.

But even logs that I mainly write for myself usually aren't useful only to me. I don't write my logs using some sort of private cipher.

I can't fathom what kind of person would be upset to see a log in another language.

As a cache owner, if a non-anglo visits my cache, I would much prefer to see a detailed log in their own language than a "TFTC" they've written because racists have previously scolded them for non-English cache logs.

As a cacher, if there's going to be a log that's unhelpful to me in the field, I'd rather see a lengthy log in another language that I don't understand than "TFTC."

• Surprised 1

If I travelled I would log in English or if I speak the language then in that. I would never use a translator because I do not trust them, but a translator can be used for reading: then it will give a general idea what the writing is about.

I don't own caches but I don't mind logs in other languages.

In English-speaking countries I log a cache, as a rule, in English only. In a country with another official language I don’t speak, I use English, as well. If the Geocache Name is German, Russian,  or French, I log bilingually. If I am in a country whose official  language I speak ( not English) I use that language. In the FRG it would be German, in Serbia it would be Serbian.

I always log in English, regardless of where I am and whether I speak the language or not. I don't know... it just happened that way. The logs are for me, and who knows, 30 years down the road I might have forgotten language xyz. However, if I know the language then I log will attends, needs maintenance, etc in the local language, and do send in EC answers in as well.

• Upvote 1