Help the newbie please

Pixieboots84

I have a friend and her son over to stay and since we're in a remote area with not a lot of activity options I thought I'd give geocaching a go but I'm struggling partly because I have never used a GPS device before and partly because as it's a day activity for the boy I thought maybe I could use my other half's iphone.

My questions are:

1) can you use an ipod for geocaching

2) if so what apps do I need - as in the essentials and is there any free ones since I can't really be buying things on someone elses iphone.

3) how do I figure out the GPS? Honestly at my age you'd think I'd be a bit better with technology but I'm completely lost with this ha ha!

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

I have a friend and her son over to stay and since we're in a remote area with not a lot of activity options I thought I'd give geocaching a go but I'm struggling partly because I have never used a GPS device before and partly because as it's a day activity for the boy I thought maybe I could use my other half's iphone.

My questions are:

2) if so what apps do I need - as in the essentials and is there any free ones since I can't really be buying things on someone elses iphone.

3) how do I figure out the GPS? Honestly at my age you'd think I'd be a bit better with technology but I'm completely lost with this ha ha!

1. ipod - Does it have GPS?

2. The intro app is probably the easiest/best option. It will only show you the nearest caches -that have been found recently- so are better suited for 'Beginers' so should be easier to find.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geocaching-intro/id329541503

3. Read the instructions! :laughing:

Find the cache, sign the log, log the cache on the site -write a nice log.

(If you 'swap' items, Trade even, or trade UP.)

DON'T sell it to the youngsters as a 'Treasure Hunt' there's often very little of value in there. :(

Have fun! :D

Edited by Bear and Ragged

My questions are:

Perhaps the Help Center section "Apps" might be of help to you:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

B.

The free app works pretty good for a quicky. As for how the compass works? Most of the apps have an arrow pointing in the direction of the cache and how many feet it is until you reach it. Even the best GPS units are only within 10'+/-. So, if you figure you could be off looking for it and they could have been off installing the cache. So in reality, you could be off up to 40' off. You will find t hat in most cases you will not be far off, and there will most likely have a pretty good idea where it is. Large sized/easy on the difficulty. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Hey folks thanks :) I had read the geocaching rules but was completely befuddled at GPS :

In the end I figured out how to credit my OH's iphone with money without adding my card to it - you apparently can't remove card payment options hence the wanting a free app - and downloaded the official geocache app for £6.99. We went for a wander and managed to find our first geocache! :)

So pleased we found one, I'd been telling the wee one how much fun it was going to be and then couldn't figure out how to work the GPS app I installed ha ha! The geocache app really was fool proof - which is handy for technophobic me!

We didn't take anything from the cache, I had already explained that you can take something if you leave something of equal value behind but we forgot to take our offering so just left it as found. Little one was funny, there was a hair bobble in it that he wanted to take for his mum because she's always loosing hers ha ha! :D

Anyway even his mum got involved and away they went climbing up the banks trying to find it, great craic! :)

We went for a wander and managed to find our first geocache! :)

Remember to log it as Found!

Be careful logging on the phone, sometimes they get logged twice. (Or more!)

If youe are a UK cacher, the UK and Ireland side of the forums is here> http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=35

But most hang out on facething... www.facebook.com/groups/thegagb/ as a starting point. Someone can point you in the direction of a regional group! :)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Not sure which app you downloaded? c:geo is the app linked with this site. The Geocache/Intro is another that some use. But like I say, c:geo is linked with this site. You even log in through this site. Log finds and everything else. If you go with the premium status here, you can even see the premium cache sites on your phone. Oh, IT'S FREE!

Good luck & happy hunting

D.P.

Not sure which app you downloaded? c:geo is the app linked with this site. The Geocache/Intro is another that some use. But like I say, c:geo is linked with this site. You even log in through this site. Log finds and everything else. If you go with the premium status here, you can even see the premium cache sites on your phone. Oh, IT'S FREE!

D.P.

:o

THAT is not a Groundspeak app, and is not an approved API Partner Application.

Approved partners can be found > www.geocaching.com/mobile/partners/

D.P.

That really bites!!! :sad: Both apps I've downloaded are not supported. It sure seems odd that the app logs me in through my GS username/password. :blink: and then shows my smiles all logs, descriptions, hints, and even premier cache if you are a premium member. It really is a pretty decent app. I also use a Garmin 62s. The phone is a bit more user friendly and I pretty much always have it and it is charged and ready for action at any point in time. Traffic jam? Pull off and cache :smile: The other app is geocache intro. It also works fine for an app. But if you prefer to use a partnered app? The link is above for the partnered apps.

Whichever you use? HAVE FUN and CACHE!!!

D.P.

That really bites!!! :sad: Both apps I've downloaded are not supported. It sure seems odd that the app logs me in through my GS username/password. :blink: and then shows my smiles all logs, descriptions, hints, and even premier cache if you are a premium member. It really is a pretty decent app. I also use a Garmin 62s. The phone is a bit more user friendly and I pretty much always have it and it is charged and ready for action at any point in time. Traffic jam? Pull off and cache :smile: The other app is geocache intro. It also works fine for an app. But if you prefer to use a partnered app? The link is above for the partnered apps.

Whichever you use? HAVE FUN and CACHE!!!