Trackable

Dorianovic

Hi,

In January 2013 we launched a travel bug (TB55J22) in Belgium. It's goal is to reach Namibia by the summer of 2015. Our travel bug moved around the globe for approximately 6 months until a user retrieved it from a cache somewhere in the US and never placed it back into circulation. We have now lost over a year in trying to make it reach it's final destination, which is somehow frustrating us. Despite 2 e-mail messages sent to this user through the geocaching portal, we never got a reply back or saw our travel bug start moving again.

Which next steps would now be recommended?

Our experience with Geocaching is relatively recent/limited, so any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dorianovic

Edited by Dorianovic

Your problem is all too common. There are lots of threads about people complaining about this and vowing never to release another one. On the other hand some people have had trackables in circulation for years. I put one out that lasted a year until it disappeared a couple months ago. I will release another and know it may well disappear.

You put one out and hope for the best. If it disappears don't lose sleep over it since that is just the way it is. It doesn't matter whether it's right or not, it is the way it is and you can't change it. It's part of the cost of the hobby. If the price is too high, don't play.

Think of it this way -- if you left $5 on a park bench where a lot of people are and walked away would you be surprised if no one called to you or chased you down to return your $5?

Some people have had their trackables suddenly show up after years of being lost. However, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen.

On the basis that the cache was their first (and only) find, the TB was their first TB, that their "Last Visit" to the web site was "Never" and the cache was logged 12+ months ago.

You've emailed twice, with no response...

It would suggest to me that:

It's a 'New' cacher, using a phone, and we are very unlikely to see them again...

The TB will go no further. Sorry. :(

Deep breath, and say "Goodbye" to the TB.

Now, you could start a new one, with the Copy tag number from the TB...

Well, I said don't hold your breath that your trackable will suddenly reappear ...

Ours was moved to Michigan from Texas (after going to Texas from Michigan). A couple days later someone posted that it was not in the cache. A month later the CO marked it missing since he confirmed it wasn't in his cache. Yesterday, someone picked up the trackable from that same cache.

Well, I said don't hold your breath that your trackable will suddenly reappear ...

Ours was moved to Michigan from Texas (after going to Texas from Michigan). A couple days later someone posted that it was not in the cache. A month later the CO marked it missing since he confirmed it wasn't in his cache. Yesterday, someone picked up the trackable from that same cache.

Looks like there were two containers there. Maybe your TB was in one and the CO & other finder checked the other.