Geocaching and advertising

B&BWoodvig

It's my understanding that the guideline is to prevent commercial advertising, ie specific brands or restaurants. This appears to be more of a play on the term since it is hidden in a game reserve which is home to cattle. This seems less commercial to me than a cache in a fast food parking lot which is widely approved and used.

It's over 13 miles to the nearest Chick Fil-A restaurant, the company who use that slogan. I don't see a direct correlation. If the cache was in the parking lot of the restaurant it would be a different thing. Would you object to one called On Target that's also out in the woods?

Edited by wimseyguy

While I wouldn't normally see this as being a problem under the "No commercial caches" guideline, we've recently learned that mentioning brand names in listings has become verboten regardless of the context, so now I'm not so sure. It seems that the commercial guidelines are becoming much more strictly enforced than they have in the past. I wouldn't be at all surprised if future caches with slogans (the one in the OP is a year and half old) are denied.

It's over 13 miles to the nearest Chick Fil-A restaurant, the company who use that slogan. I don't see a direct correlation. If the cache was in the parking lot of the restaurant it would be a different thing. Would you object to one called On Target that's also out in the woods?

He-he. Not only did I do that, but I threw in Victoria's Secret too. Yes, it's in the woods.

I've seen caches a plenty in the Target Parking lot named "Right on Target". Of course those might be old ones, and they don't allow that any longer.

Where do you see advertising??

I don't see any advertising in the cache description.

I've never been to the cache location (doesn't matter anyway). The cache description doesn't advertise anything.

I see During your exploration you may come across cattle in the preserve

The name of the cache "eat mor chikin" is simply a way of saying..."These cattle don't want to be eatin"

I've never been to the cache location (doesn't matter anyway). The cache description doesn't advertise anything.

The name of the cache "eat mor chikin" is simply a way of saying..."These cattle don't want to be eatin"

Right. But sometimes the chance to debate something is just too appealing. ;)

The OP was referring to the title "Eat Mor Chikin"

Which is the exact slogan/marketing campaign for Chick Fil-A

which is a very large fast food chain

Target is the name of a store. Is the word target banned from a cache name located near an archery club?

Target is the name of a store. Is the word target banned from a cache name located near an archery club?

Or what about putting a cache series near a well known chain store and naming them after Scott Adams characters? "Dilbert Desk" might work but what about "Wally World"?

Here in the UK we had a time (and it may still be the case, I lost interest in the thread) where saying something like "you can park at the Red Lion pub then take the footpath that leads beside the pub" was disallowed because it mentioned the commercial establishment even though it made no attempt to entice people into it. So it looked like we'd end up with silly constructs like "you can park at the place that serves food and drink and is named after a crimson cat" which might make sense to someone from the UK who is familiar with "The Red Lion" as a pub name but it would make less sense to anyone abroad.

Here in the UK we had a time (and it may still be the case, I lost interest in the thread) where saying something like "you can park at the Red Lion pub then take the footpath that leads beside the pub" was disallowed because it mentioned the commercial establishment even though it made no attempt to entice people into it.

... "you can park at the Red Lion pub then take the footpath that leads beside the pub" was disallowed

A better option:

Adding Parking Coordinates

I realize there are a lot of pubs in the UK, but wouldn't the generic 'park at the pub, and take the footpath to the south' have worked as well as using the name of a commercial establishment?

Additional Waypoints were created in 2006, and download directly to GPS units along with the cache coords. There's no good reason to mention a pub by name any longer. Unless it is to provide some free advertising.

I thought there was to be no advertising on geocaches, but this one is called "Eat Mor Chikin" which seems really blatant to me. What gives? Thanks!

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4482H_eat-mor-chikin

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.3. Does my geocache meet commercial guidelines?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=475

We DO allow:

Geocaches with pop-culture related content.

A product (or company) that is a part of a generation's upbringing, or deemed a "classic".

Examples include: Mozart, 60s: The Rolling Stones, or Gone with the Wind

A series of geocaches, based on one of a set.

Examples include: princesses of Disney, teams in the national football league, knights of the Round Table

A geocache based on parts of the whole.

Examples include: a character from a story/film, a scene from a film, one menu item from McDonalds

We DON'T allow:

Geocaches perceived as commercial.

Overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

Examples include: "LOTR is the best series of movies ever!" or "Support this sporting team!"

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

Examples include: "Buy this Disney movie!"

It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

Examples include: "Save the...", "Feed the...", or "... research support"

It contains the logo or motto of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

Examples include: "Home of the Whopper.", "So easy a caveman can do it." or "Got Milks?"

It contains the name of a business or commercial product.

Examples include: "Check out Mac's Beef house nearby, my favorite local BBQ spot!"

B.

I thought there was to be no advertising on geocaches, but this one is called "Eat Mor Chikin" which seems really blatant to me. What gives? Thanks!

We DO allow:

A product (or company) that is a part of a generation's upbringing, or deemed a "classic".

Examples include: princesses of Disney, teams in the national football league, knights of the Round Table

Examples include: a character from a story/film, a scene from a film, one menu item from McDonalds

We DON'T allow:

Examples include: "LOTR is the best series of movies ever!" or "Support this sporting team!"

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

It contains the logo or motto of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

Examples include: "Home of the Whopper.", "So easy a caveman can do it." or "Got Milks?"

Examples include: "Check out Mac's Beef house nearby, my favorite local BBQ spot!"

B.

What...what's all this then? You can't just come in here and give the answer. This is a debate!

Here in the UK we had a time (and it may still be the case, I lost interest in the thread) where saying something like "you can park at the Red Lion pub then take the footpath that leads beside the pub" was disallowed because it mentioned the commercial establishment even though it made no attempt to entice people into it.

... "you can park at the Red Lion pub then take the footpath that leads beside the pub" was disallowed

A better option:

I realize there are a lot of pubs in the UK, but wouldn't the generic 'park at the pub, and take the footpath to the south' have worked as well as using the name of a commercial establishment?

Additional Waypoints were created in 2006, and download directly to GPS units along with the cache coords. There's no good reason to mention a pub by name any longer. Unless it is to provide some free advertising.

Except that "park at the pub" only works if there's only one pub. If there are two and one is very strict about parking for customers only it could cause problems that would be easily avoided with "park at the Red Lion, the Rose and Crown will clamp you if you aren't a customer".

Personally I think it's pretty sad that something can't be used as a landmark just because it's a business. It's perfectly natural to say "turn right just after the Red Lion", and if there's a walkway that's easily missed it's hard to see why "take the alleyway just to the right of McDonalds" is such a problem because it's not as if the person taking the alleyway won't notice the fast food outlet, just as the person using a waypoint to find the Red Lion's parking won't notice the pub there.

It's also potentially useful to say something like "don't park at the Black Horse unless you're planning on buying something there, because you can only get out with a special token".

Just another thought, given how many places charge for parking it seems odd to be allowed to post coordinates of a place where you can pay to park (where parking requires the interaction with a commercial enterprise and buying their product) but not to be allowed to say "you can park for free outside the Red Lion" (where no such interaction is required)

We DO allow:

We DON'T allow:

B.

What...what's all this then? You can't just come in here and give the answer. This is a debate!

There's no debate. In the case of a business or product name, or a slogan, just not strictly enforced. If there's a complaint, they'll enforce it. I have seen a whole series of caches named after Breakfast Cereal's where the cache owners (and there were 3 or 4 of them who thought it was a cute idea) had to change the name of a cache. And I once saw a "sweep" in an area where you couldn't even mention the name of the business for which a gift card to was the FTF prize.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Just another thought, given how many places charge for parking it seems odd to be allowed to post coordinates of a place where you can pay to park (where parking requires the interaction with a commercial enterprise and buying their product) but not to be allowed to say "you can park for free outside the Red Lion" (where no such interaction is required)

Perhaps you could post a note for alternative coordinates to the free parking. It might be that the cache owner was unaware of the option when they placed their cache.

On the other hand, you could do like I do most of the time. Leave the car at home and take mass transit to do your caching :)

Perhaps you could post a note for alternative coordinates to the free parking. It might be that the cache owner was unaware of the option when they placed their cache.

There are all sorts of things that could be done, I just think it's particularly stupid to allow posting the coordinates of paid-for parking while disallowing mention of a place that allows free parking because there's an option to buy something there. Maybe the entire Church Micro series in the UK should be archived, because they are based around places of worship and people might end up going into the church and making a donation.

A cacher visiting the location will see the commercial establishments from some distance away so it's not as if their existence is a secret. If someone is really going to be influenced by "while you're out caching why not stop at the Red Lion for a refreshing drink?" they'll be influenced by the sight of the big building that says THE RED LION in letters two feet high across the front. Even if the cache serves no purpose other than to get people to visit the area it's not as if they could be any less inspired than some of the film pots and keysafes behind signs and guardrails placed for no reason other than because there wasn't a cache within 528 feet.

On the other hand, you could do like I do most of the time. Leave the car at home and take mass transit to do your caching :)

Most of my caching over the last few years was by bicycle. That doesn't mean parking coordinates aren't a good thing, for areas where public transport isn't a viable option, or maybe not an option at all.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

I can't see any reasonable argument that could be made to include commercial content on a Listing that can't be solved with a simple workaround (i.e. Additional Waypoints etc.). The only reason I can see why people are so adamant on this topic is so they can turn Geocaching into Yelp or Trip Adviser. No Thanks to that notion <_<

I wonder if this isn't more about the politics and personal positions of the owner of the chain that uses the slogan. In some other case the OP may have thought "How clever to use that slogan in reserve where cattle are grazing." I think here is it's "This phase is used by a company whose policies are abhorrent to me, so I'm going to search the guidelines for a reason to force it to be removed."

Groundspeak may want to use the TOUs to prevent offensive cache names (I know for a fact that they have done so), but they are cautious in deciding what is offensive. I don't think "Eat Mor Chikin" is going to be deemed offensive and while it's clearly an advertising slogan, its use here may be deemed acceptable.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

I can't see any reasonable argument that could be made to include commercial content on a Listing that can't be solved with a simple workaround (i.e. Additional Waypoints etc.). The only reason I can see why people are so adamant on this topic is so they can turn Geocaching into Yelp or Trip Adviser. No Thanks to that notion <_<

I have no interest in seeing geocaching turn into a commercial directory. I just don't see why it's such a big deal to say "take the alleyway beside the Black Horse pub". If you say "take the alleyway from the trailhead marked as an additional waypoint" it's not as if people won't notice that they are walking beside the Black Horse. If the alleyway was on a residential street you might say "the alleyway leads between number 32 and number 34".

So... you're asking if the existence of this example somehow magically negates the clearly written Guidelines on this matter, which still exist and are easily viewable on the site?

Either that's true, or an ad slogan happened to slip by the review process.

Which do you think is more likely?

:rolleyes:

A better option:

Except that "park at the pub" only works if there's only one pub. If there are two and one is very strict about parking for customers only it could cause problems that would be easily avoided with "park at the Red Lion, the Rose and Crown will clamp you if you aren't a customer".

Personally I think it's pretty sad that something can't be used as a landmark just because it's a business. It's perfectly natural to say "turn right just after the Red Lion", and if there's a walkway that's easily missed it's hard to see why "take the alleyway just to the right of McDonalds" is such a problem because it's not as if the person taking the alleyway won't notice the fast food outlet, just as the person using a waypoint to find the Red Lion's parking won't notice the pub there.

It's also potentially useful to say something like "don't park at the Black Horse unless you're planning on buying something there, because you can only get out with a special token".

Once again it is just as easy to refer to the pub on the SE corner, or the pub with the red door, and not mention it by name. If a business wants their name used on gc.com they can speak to the business development office about ad space.

As for the OP's question, the cache name uses a slogan but in an entirely different context, & the cache is no where near the business. So really it's a humorous play on words, a joke, much more than an advertisement for the business.

Ergo, let's lighten up.

Edited by wmpastor

As for the OP's question, the cache name uses a slogan but in an entirely different context, & the cache is no where near the business. So really it's a humorous play on words, a joke, much more than an advertisement for the business.

Ergo, let's lighten up.

Exactly.

Even I can see the joke from way up here in Canada. Don't have a clue what is so blatant about a restaurant I've never heard of.

The big surprise for me was the revamped Help Center article about what is and is not "commercial". Sure wish there was a date posted/edited on that.

B.

I began this post by saying it's Sunday, and all Chick-Fil-A's are closed. Then it all came together for me, and I underwent a major edit!! See the two quotes below:

Oh, the other interesting thing about all this is how the OP came to know about the cache in question, having no finds in the state of Florida.

There's got to be a back-story explaining why this thread was started.

I wonder if this isn't more about the politics and personal positions of the owner of the chain that uses the slogan. In some other case the OP may have thought "How clever to use that slogan in reserve where cattle are grazing." I think here is it's "This phase is used by a company whose policies are abhorrent to me, so I'm going to search the guidelines for a reason to force it to be removed."

So there you have it. Some elements in society feel Chick-Fil-A is a fundamentalist Christian organization that funds numerous hate groups. No really, it is, here's an article stating such: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/5-simple-facts-about-chick-fil-a_b_1751404.html

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Thanks for pointing out that possible motivation for the discussion. But, let's avoid the temptation to debate that subject in a thread about geocaching and commercialism.

So in other words, I'm going to have to try harder if I want to have posts deleted on two consecutive days? :ph34r:

OK then, I think it should be fine to use a company's slogan for a cache not located on one of their properties, which applies in this particular case.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to the discussion before now, I've been, well, gee, doing other things.

I realize I have not found any geocaches in Florida, but saw this video on Youtube:

which was sent to as a suggestion from Youtube.

So no, I am not out trolling for caches I want taken down because I find chick-fill-a “abhorrent.”

As you can see, there is indeed a chick-fill-a within 13 miles of the cache. So what's to stop McDonald's from putting “I'm Lovin' It!” red and yellow geocahces a few yards from a bunch of their stores?

If the cache is in a reserve with cattle wouldn't "Where's The Beef" be a better title than "Eat Mor Chikin" ?

After all the "Where's The Beef" campaign is not current, so it wouldn't be advertising :unsure:. And when it was at its height "Where's The Beef" was certainly more a part of the popular culture than the "Eat Mor Chikin" campaign so you probably see it used in more parodies - leading to being less associated with the brand it was advertising.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to the discussion before now, I've been, well, gee, doing other things.

I realize I have not found any geocaches in Florida, but saw this video on Youtube:

which was sent to as a suggestion from Youtube.

So no, I am not out trolling for caches I want taken down because I find chick-fill-a “abhorrent.”

As you can see, there is indeed a chick-fill-a within 13 miles of the cache. So what's to stop McDonald's from putting “I'm Lovin' It!” red and yellow geocahces a few yards from a bunch of their stores?

Per the bold text, the guidelines? Commercial caches are allowed, if the business partners with Groundspeak. Some may find that hypocritical, but that's how it is.

You probably didn't want to name WVTim or that video, and I'm actually shocked he got away with that one. He has permission (it says so in the video). Neither I, nor the vast majority of Geocachers in the field could care less that cache is 200 feet from Chick-fil-a, and is named eat mor chikin. But this is Groundspeak's playing field. Or "listing service" as they like to call it. :)

Forgive me if I don't sound convinced you don't find Chick-Fil-A “abhorrent.” :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck
Once again it is just as easy to refer to the pub on the SE corner, or the pub with the red door, and not mention it by name. If a business wants their name used on gc.com they can speak to the business development office about ad space.

But it's still just a silly play on words for its own sake. It's like the way people talk about "the other game with QR codes" on here - it obfuscates without adding any value.

If the only way to claim the cache was to go into the Black Horse and buy a meal and a drink I'd agree entirely that it's inappropriate. But to merely mention the fact that the alleyway runs beside the pub, or that you can park in the pub's car park, is just a statement of fact. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with "you can park in the village centre for free, or if you're planning on stopping for a meal you can park at the Black Horse which is the closest available parking" - it provides an option while also providing alternatives for people who don't want to stop at the Black Horse.

Personally if I'm in a familiar area chances are I'll already know about the Black Horse and whether it's any good as a pub. If I'm in an unfamiliar area I'd rather the text just said what I needed to know than danced around the topic. "The alleyway runs beside the Black Horse" is easy to follow whereas some silly descriptive terminology "the alleyway runs beside the house with the red door" immediately breaks if the house repaints the door. Whatever words are used to describe the cache the chances are the person finding the alleyway will also notice the pub called the Black Horse with a sign outside saying "good food served all day" or some such, so perhaps we should just ban the cache outright because it might have been placed just to encourage people to visit the Black Horse even if it didn't mention the pub by name. It would seem pretty easy for the landlord of the pub to place a cache in the alleyway, post an additional waypoint to show the entrance to the alleyway, and then change his sign to say "geocachers, hikers, dog walkers welcome" and hope some passing cachers did stop in.

I've seen the slogan along with the cows. There used to be a chicken place in a plaza nearby that used it. The chicken place was NOT a Chick-Fil-A so I don't associate the saying with Chick-Fil-A. Did they come up with it? Or did they just see a sign that was being sold at Tractor Supply and take the slogan as their own?

This message not sponsored by Tractor Supply.

To me it is a popular culture "meme" that isn't necessarily associated with a business. Maybe that's because I have never been to a Chick-Fil-A and the closest one is 56 miles away, and has "Limited hours and/or accessibility - please call first" listed for that location.

Maybe that's because I have never been to a Chick-Fil-A and the closest one is 56 miles away, and has "Limited hours and/or accessibility - please call first" listed for that location.

Wow. I wonder how long they'll be in business.

I'm going to guess because it's in a shopping mall food court, or on a college campus.

Nope, that chain is wildly popular over here, despite being closed on Sunday's across he board. Imagine if Wendy's or KFC, for example, were all closed on Sundays. But that's how they roll.

Maybe that's because I have never been to a Chick-Fil-A and the closest one is 56 miles away, and has "Limited hours and/or accessibility - please call first" listed for that location.

Wow. I wonder how long they'll be in business.

I'm going to guess because it's in a shopping mall food court, or on a college campus.

Nope, that chain is wildly popular over here, despite being closed on Sunday's across he board. Imagine if Wendy's or KFC, for example, were all closed on Sundays. But that's how they roll.

Or imagine if Wendy's or KFC asked potential customers to please call first. I'm guessing that would have a significant impact on their bottom lines. I can see that working for some specialty boutique stores, but for a fast food joint?

Edited by CanadianRockies

On the topic of advertising...

I'm a mineral collector and I like to leave interesting mineral specimens in caches sometimes. They've been well received in the past. I have them bagged and labeled as to species and location. Quartz crystals, fossils, labradorite slab, etc.

I'm a member of a rock club and I'd love to leave a card (of my own creation) with the specimen making people aware of the existence of the club since a lot of people that like rocks and fossils but don't know the club exists. I've always wondered if that would be an "advertising" violation even though it would be for awareness of a non-profit, educational club. I haven't ever done it but would love to if its allowed.

On the topic of advertising...

I'm a mineral collector and I like to leave interesting mineral specimens in caches sometimes. They've been well received in the past. I have them bagged and labeled as to species and location. Quartz crystals, fossils, labradorite slab, etc.

I'm a member of a rock club and I'd love to leave a card (of my own creation) with the specimen making people aware of the existence of the club since a lot of people that like rocks and fossils but don't know the club exists. I've always wondered if that would be an "advertising" violation even though it would be for awareness of a non-profit, educational club. I haven't ever done it but would love to if its allowed.

The contents of a cache can not be controlled by GS, so they don't try to controll "advertising" there (if they did most of the toys wouldn't be allowed, or pens, or much of anything since most stuff has a name on it - maker or company handing it out). So leaving a card for the club would not be against the "rules".

While I wouldn't normally see this as being a problem under the "No commercial caches" guideline, we've recently learned that mentioning brand names in listings has become verboten regardless of the context, so now I'm not so sure. It seems that the commercial guidelines are becoming much more strictly enforced than they have in the past. I wouldn't be at all surprised if future caches with slogans (the one in the OP is a year and half old) are denied.

This one was just published yesterday: http://coord.info/GC4TG73

Looking at this page...it seems like there's reason to consider it as breaking the guideline, particularly the bolded portion:

We DON'T allow:

•Overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion. Examples include: "LOTR is the best series of movies ever!" or "Support this sporting team!"

•It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service. Examples include: "Buy this Disney movie!"

•It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas. Examples include: "Save the...", "Feed the...", or "... research support"

It contains the logo or motto of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations. Examples include: "Home of the Whopper.", "So easy a caveman can do it." or "Got Milks?"

•It contains the name of a business or commercial product. Examples include: "Check out Mac's Beef house nearby, my favorite local BBQ spot!"

It doesn't outright use the name Skittles, but it uses both the slogan and the image of the product.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it...but I was kind of surprised it made the cut.

Looking at this page...it seems like there's reason to consider it as breaking the guideline, particularly the bolded portion:

I am fairly certain a friend sent me a link to that yesterday - which suggests that it has already made its way onto one or more of the various Can someone just give me the solution for this so I can get the FTF groups that exist online.

I definitely recognise the puzzle anyhow.

I don't remember seeing the Taste the Rainbow slogan at the top - so maybe the CO edited the page post publication.

I am fairly certain a friend sent me a link to that yesterday - which suggests that it has already made its way onto one or more of the various Can someone just give me the solution for this so I can get the FTF groups that exist online.

I definitely recognise the puzzle anyhow.

I don't remember seeing the Taste the Rainbow slogan at the top - so maybe the CO edited the page post publication.

Everything that gets by is from the CO editing the page post publication, didn't you know that. :P

I believe "taste the rainbow" is the Skittles slogan, and I'll bet the publishing reviewer didn't know that. Is that their official logo on the page? I've never seen it if it is.