What is a COPY TAG

barbie6803

A copy tag is sent out by a trackables owner when the original has been "missing in action" for some time.

The travel bug has a tag which says keep me - so maybe this is not a travel bug at all, it could be swag or a signature item with the geocachers caching name on it

The code is not recognised as being a travel bug - it could be that it is registered somewhere other than geocaching.com, it is common to confuse 0 and O and 5 and S, could that have happened?

Maybe you could let us know the GC code of the cache where you picked it up. Was there a travel bug listed in that cache?

If you have both tags, send the original and keep the “Copy Tag”. That's why it has “Keep Me “ imprinted, it's the one you keep when you buy them. They come as a set.

If you instead found just a “Copy Tag” somewhere (for example, in a Geocache) and now wish to log it, see if it's listed in the cache where you found it. There are several reasons why a Travel Bug "Copy Tag" may be in a cache, and it should be treated as if it were any other trackable item. Maybe there's just a little confusion about the tracking number.

In many cases, it's tough to get the tracking number correct. “0” and “O” look a lot alike. “I” and “1”, and others. If nothing seems to work and you can't figure out whose Travel Bug it is, contact Groundspeak, and they may help unscramble it:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

If you found it in a cache, it's OK to put it back (or into another cache). Type a log as informative as possible, but never post the secret Tracking Number online.

Edited by kunarion

A copy tag is sent out by a trackables owner when the original has been "missing in action" for some time.

The travel bug has a tag which says keep me - so maybe this is not a travel bug at all, it could be swag or a signature item with the geocachers caching name on it

The code is not recognised as being a travel bug - it could be that it is registered somewhere other than geocaching.com, it is common to confuse 0 and O and 5 and S, could that have happened?

Maybe you could let us know the GC code of the cache where you picked it up. Was there a travel bug listed in that cache?

First--Do not post the code in the forums or in your logs.

OK that's out of the way.

COPY tags do say "Keep me" I think it is a very very bad idea to send out a tag that says "keep me"

Is this one of the copy tags that do not have the code imprinted, but it had to be handwritten? All the more likely that O and 0, I and 1, etc could be confused.

COPY tags do say "Keep me" I think it is a very very bad idea to send out a tag that says "keep me"

Is this one of the copy tags that do not have the code imprinted, but it had to be handwritten? All the more likely that O and 0, I and 1, etc could be confused.

As I said GC code of the cache where the travel bug was picked up - since when has that been a big no no?

As I said GC code of the cache where the travel bug was picked up - since when has that been a big no no?

No problem--and not what I was referring to at all. I was just trying to give a warning in advance.

Besides, you posted while I was writing and I didn't even see your post until after I was done. Lighten up.

The copy tag itself did not have a printed code but was handwritten but the glass world globe attached had it etched on the glass. There was only one ambiguous number on it and I tried both versions.

The copy tag itself did not have a printed code but was handwritten but the glass world globe attached had it etched on the glass. There was only one ambiguous number on it and I tried both versions.

Car Travel Bug stickers come with a blank copy tag imprinted with "Keep Me" on which to write the tracking number. It's a sticker and a tag, but the owner keeps the tag. If the snow globe is similar, it had tracking number and a blank tag to keep. So the snow globe's owner didn't quite grasp the intent of the tag. It's even possible that the TB was never activated. If you can't figure out who placed it (and after mentioning it in a log on the cache page) you should ask Groundspeak.

Edited by kunarion