Garmin Etrex 20 Map Download / Installation

2cent5

ok so I'm trying to figure out how I get a downloaded map onto my ETrex 20 - please help. I have the NorthEast USA TOPO MAP part 3 set up .exe file and I'm not sure what to do with it. Do you run the .exe file ? Do I put it into a certain folder ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

It came from GPSfiledepot and I found the instruction on their web site. Ran the .exe file and it put the map into base camp just as their instructions said it would, copied it to the GPS and it's there. Easier than I expected, especially after finding and reading the instuctions.

Not I have a few files pending download from the openstreet that I'm not sure how to process this.

Man how easy is this!

Just rename it to whatever *******.img

and

copy it to the 'MAP' folder on the SD card!!!

:huh:

LOL There is no MAP folder on an Etrex and it does not have to be copied to the SD card. It can be copied there but it can also be copied to main memory.

Aside: why do you insist on posting when you have no idea what you are talking about? It is a disservice to someone trying to learn about a system when he or she is given incorrect or incomplete information.

LOL There is no MAP folder on an Etrex and it does not have to be copied to the SD card. It can be copied there but it can also be copied to main memory.

Aside: why do you insist on posting when you have no idea what you are talking about? It is a disservice to someone trying to learn about a system when he or she is given incorrect or incomplete information.

:rolleyes:

...as you've discovered, if on a card need to be in a MAP folder. You can also, if you wish, place .img files in a MAP folder in internal memory and rename them as you like.

:laughing:

...as you've discovered, if on a card need to be in a MAP folder. You can also, if you wish, place .img files in a MAP folder in internal memory and rename them as you like.

I'm curious why you deleted the first part of the qoute:

What you were told was IIRC true of the earlier nuvis, the 4 number ones aren't restricted to specific map names and, as you've discovered, if on a card need to be in a map folder. You can also, if you wish, place .img files in a map folder in internal memory and rename them as you like.

Sussamb was discussing the restrictions of a NUVIS. To repeat, there is no MAP folder on an eTrex 20 which is the subject of the current thread. It's unfortunate that users looking for help have to sort through incorrect information to get what they need.

ok so I'm trying to figure out how I get a downloaded map onto my ETrex 20 - please help. I have the NorthEast USA TOPO MAP part 3 set up .exe file and I'm not sure what to do with it. Do you run the .exe file ? Do I put it into a certain folder ?

Thanks

Don

Look mate the Etrex only reads map *.img files, for the Etrex to read a map *.img from the SD card you have to create a MAP folder and put it in that. It's very simple and safe...

...then it works. :)

Thanks

Don

Look mate the Etrex only reads map *.img files, for the Etrex to read a map *.img from the SD card you have to create a MAP folder and put it in that. It's very simple and safe...

...then it works. :)

No it goes in the "Garmin" folder on the device or memory card. Creating a folder called "MAP" will not work. However you may be referring to the \Garmin folder as "the folder that contains the maps" perhaps?

All .IMG files go in \Garmin