what is the best multi you have found?

Okay. You've asked for it! Bridges and Arches of Central Park. 32 stages take you to every bridge and arch in Central Park! Took us three days over three months. 591 finds. 288 favorite points. Hmm... Should have more! But that is 76%!

Frank Farrington's Views. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to get information for the final.

A series of multis about Revolutionary War sites in New York City.

This One Will Cost You. View of the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ

Did a few with fake phone booths where you had to dial a number to get the coords for the next stage.

GC202AR

This cache has since been adopted and modified somewhat due to constant muggle-interference, but was originally a multi/puzzle/night cache that took you all over town. Some stages involved night-caching elements (ie. following a trail of fire tacks or spotting a lone tack), some involved gathering information from virtual stages (ie. get information from a pre-existing sign), and some involved finding physical containers. I was part of the FTF group, so we ran into a couple of errors, but otherwise it was by far the best multi I've done. While I did have a small part in testing the current web-based form of it, I haven't actually done the whole cache in its current form, so I can't speak to its current fun level.

I like multis that involve more than just finding containers for the sake of finding containers, but those that have a particular purpose that can only be done through a multi.

Rara Avis remains one of my favorites. It takes you to various places in San Francisco associated With Sam Spade. As I wrote at the time, do it on a foggy evening, wear a fedora, and even if you do not smoke, bring a cigarette.

Death in Venice is another one that took us on an unforgettable tour - that we found ourselves completing the stages during carnival time with crowds, costumes, and parades of Krishna devotees added to the challenge.

Old Town Ghost Tour also deserves a mention. Albuquerque's ghost tours are legendary and this was almost as good.

Edited by geodarts

Mega Multi: The Devil's Run.

104 stage multi. Only found once; me and a few friends. Good luck with that! :P (note: make sure each stage is sustainable without regular maintenance and verification)

Otherwise still my favourite though not a multi, Tomb Raider posted in San Diego. HIGHLY recommended. Only a puzzle with the final, but the experience getting to the cache is what makes this one amazing.

Otherwise still my favourite though not a multi, Tomb Raider posted in San Diego. HIGHLY recommended. Only a puzzle with the final, but the experience getting to the cache is what makes this one amazing.

Thanks <_< .... I just spent about an hour on decrypting the puzzle (no, I'm not finished) and I live on the opposite side of the country. Of course, San Diego is beautiful... so it won't hurt to have this solved if I ever have a chance to get back there. :grin:

I think my favorite was VIEW CARRE'. That may be hard to match.

But I think overall my favorites have been ones that had some kind of theme (tour of town, or telling a story, or solving puzzles) or hinted at a cool final but didn't give it away until you were actually there (castle ruin, cool waterfall, top of a skyscraper). Preferably, they had both: a theme that built up to a cool final location.

Thanks dry.gif .... I just spent about an hour on decrypting the puzzle (no, I'm not finished) and I live on the opposite side of the country. Of course, San Diego is beautiful... so it won't hurt to have this solved if I ever have a chance to get back there. :grin:

Tip: It's not IN San Diego :P. Be ready for a small road trip. (the pics will give away what type of experience you're in for, but really there's no spoilers - the experience itself is worth it :) )

Thanks dry.gif .... I just spent about an hour on decrypting the puzzle (no, I'm not finished) and I live on the opposite side of the country. Of course, San Diego is beautiful... so it won't hurt to have this solved if I ever have a chance to get back there. :grin:

Tip: It's not IN San Diego :P. Be ready for a small road trip. (the pics will give away what type of experience you're in for, but really there's no spoilers - the experience itself is worth it :) )

Cool! It looks so fun, I will definitely continue to work on it when I want to procrastinate. That should be easy with school starting up again.

Back to the original topic... my "favorite" (of a whopping two I have done so far) is Binghamton's Buried Stream. It isn't in the same league as these AMAZING multi's that have been listed. I believe it is this guy's first attempt at a multi, and probably more reasonable to emulate at this stage. He found a piece of obscure and unusual local information and sent you around town locating clues (actually digits for the final coordinates). The listed coords for getting the phone number are incorrect, but lead close to a place referenced on the website that the cache page links to. I spent an afternoon searching for the stone referenced on the website and it was the completely wrong location. I wasn't upset though, because it was all very interesting. It was many months to finally complete this multi, and it was very interesting the whole time.

The main thing I would change if I could is the "tortured math" used. In other words, if you ask for the number of people in my house who had chicken pox before the age of ten; then I want to use that digit.... NOT "take that number and subtract 1 to come up with X). Though I am sure you would be very hard pressed to get virtual numbers to comply particularly if you have a special final in mind.

I looked through all my Multi finds to see which ones jumped out at me as being memorable. I then filtered that list to just the ones I consider "the best". Can't get down to just one, so...

Nova Australias Calgarius (GC8D66): A six-stage where each one involved something a little unique. A classic cache.

Old School (GC12FNN): Can you find a cache using a Garmin GPS38 from 1996?

Tour of the Towns (GC2G345): A fifteen stage tour of towns surrounding the city.

Quest for the Holy Grail (GC2KJ56): Not very long in terms of distance, but some fun and creative stages in a nice park.

Edited by DanOCan

Just curious - will this cool multi be premium and thus elitist, or non-premium and thus trashed by n00bs?

this one we don't know yet.

I had "a member" tell me paying the Groundspeak membership of $30 was elitist and that every cache should be open to everybody to find.

Think it through - cause you gotta walk the talk and talk the walk!

The best multi I have seen was the first and only hide of a cacher who soon dropped out. We enjoyed the cache so much the community maintained it for years until construction got it.

The whole thing is spread around a shopping mall parking lot. Each stage contained the coordinates to the next.

1st stage: A small container wrapped in camo burlap in a tree in an island in the parking lot.

2nd stage: A steel washer screwed to a phone pole with the next stage coordinates engraved into the washer.

3rd stage: A telephone switchbox with an authentic Do Not Dig sticker on it. Coords to the next stage were printed in very small typeface at the bottom of the sticker. The hider worked for the phone company and had the sticker made, so it looked just like millions of other Do Not Dig stickers. It looked so normal even if you read the sticker you didn't notice the coords printed at the bottom.

4th stage: Coordinates to the next stage engraved in small type in an iron manhole cover.

5th stage: Small (wallet-size) container tied to green fishing line, tied to the bottom of a chain-link fence at the crest of a steep drop-off. The line was about 20' long so the container was down the hill in tall grass. You first had to find the string, then pull it until the container was revealed.

6th stage: Tupperware container with magnets, attached under a steel stairwell between buildings, painted to match the I-beam.

I know a shopping mall parking lot doesn't seem like a fun place to cache, and none of my descriptions do justice to each stage, but they were all hard and all fun. The totality of the experience made it a great multi.Very few completed it without a PAF, especially stages 3 and 5.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm not a great fan of multi's, but I have enjoyed a few. My particular favourite was this one

Not because it was particularly difficult, but because it took me to four interesting locations which I would never have seen otherwise. Whatever you have planned for the various stages, it would be great if they were all in interesting/scenic/historic/etc. locations. To me, that makes a great cache, multi or not.

I think my favorite was VIEW CARRE'. That may be hard to match.

But I think overall my favorites have been ones that had some kind of theme (tour of town, or telling a story, or solving puzzles) or hinted at a cool final but didn't give it away until you were actually there (castle ruin, cool waterfall, top of a skyscraper). Preferably, they had both: a theme that built up to a cool final location.

I'll second that....glad I got a chance to do it before it was archived. I don't think a similar hide would be approved today.

I love a good high-terrain multi, and kept a bookmark list of some of my favorites in the Southern NM area. I'd have to say my favorite is Tour De Horns because it took you up 4 separate rocky spires in a gorgeous mountain range. Really awesome 4th class adventure. That theme pretty much sums up the kinds of multis I love and most of the ones on my list: rugged mountain adventures, can't go wrong!

This is my first post to the forums ever. I saw this thread and had to post after the multi cache we did yesterday.

Enchanter - An Adventure Cache

The cache is located in City Park in Denver and is a role playing adventure. It's a cache children will absolutely love (for reason other than plastic toys in a box). The park is also beautiful. There are many interesting landmarks (plus a zoo and natural history museum inside the park) plus scenic views of the Denver skyline and mountains. The work that went into the associated materials is impressive.

Three come to mind

http://coord.info/GC36AC6. It was a tribute cache to me and I got FTF

http://coord.info/GC46WWJ. 199 stages? Cool

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC908D_solar-sailing#. This one is old and more of a virtual. It is at the Smithsonian and is based on an outdoor display of the solar system to scale. I never comprehended that the outer planets are so far from earth until I saw this. Since it epitomizes what I like best about geocaching, the finding of new places that I would have missed otherwise it has to go on the list

Edited by Team OPJim
Melvins Multiple Madness Most of the stages are in a salt marsh and some are underwater during high tide. The mud is deep, very deep and there are some deep streams to be crossed. If you don't consult the tide charts before hunting it, you may find yourself stuck in mud with an incoming tide. Each of the stages provides two sets of coordinates, one correct and the other false, so it's best to tackle it as a team so half can go after each set of coords. And the final requires projecting a waypoint.

Melvins Multiple Madness Most of the stages are in a salt marsh and some are underwater during high tide. The mud is deep, very deep and there are some deep streams to be crossed. If you don't consult the tide charts before hunting it, you may find yourself stuck in mud with an incoming tide. Each of the stages provides two sets of coordinates, one correct and the other false, so it's best to tackle it as a team so half can go after each set of coords. And the final requires projecting a waypoint.

Looks very challenging. Hasn't been found since 9-15-12, with one NM in 2013 & nothing since.

Looks very challenging. Hasn't been found since 9-15-12, with one NM in 2013 & nothing since.

If you look at the history there have been a number of long periods (sometimes well over a year) between finds and the NM appears to be a bit lukewarm. They don't even mention searching. Just that they got near. The stages were well secured, though it is possible that Sandy could have washed parts away. The COs probably should check just to make sure.

Edited by briansnat