ask for permission

PaintingLoft

I was wondering if anyone would share a letter they've used to get permission from a land trust or conservation commission. (Preferably a letter that worked ☺) It would be of great assistance as I'm not the best writer, and I would hate for this cache to be rejected because my inability to explain myself.

Thanks in advance. Cache on.

I was wondering if anyone would share a letter they've used to get permission from a land trust or conservation commission. (Preferably a letter that worked ☺) It would be of great assistance as I'm not the best writer, and I would hate for this cache to be rejected because my inability to explain myself.

Thanks in advance. Cache on.

Just a short, polite letter. Someone on the committee generally understands caching, & if not, you can explain in the follow-up.

I would just write and inform them exactly what you intend to do, describing the container and the estimated number of visits per month. Ask for their input, and to identify any sensitive locations.

Hello,

I am planning to hide a container near ..... as part as a geocaching activity. Coordinates are posted online, and players try to locate them using a GPS or smartphone. I estimate that it may have an average of .... visits per month, and with minimal impact other than a possible light trail that should disappear after the geocache is removed. If you have any concerns, or input I would be happy to hear them, and if there are any sensitive locations that should be avoided please let me know. Thanks!

First, I'd check whether they already have a geocaching policy. If so, then I'd follow it. Otherwise...

Initially, I wouldn't ask for permission. Instead, I'd explain what geocaching is and what I wanted to do, and ask who within the organization would have the authority to grant permission to hide a cache. Then I'd contact that person.

One of the UK reviewers has a sample letter on the Wiki.

(Remember to exclude UK type references!)

https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/United+Kingdom#UnitedKingdom-howto

As suggested above, it may be better to write to ask IF you can place a cache and who to contact.

They may have someone that knows, and that will make things a lot easier for you!

Especially if they say "No caches!"

Edited by Bear and Ragged
Once again, This is a request for examples of writing not a coaching of what to write because writing is so not my thing. I guess I wasn't clear.
Would you feel more comfortable asking in person, or perhaps over the phone? I have explicit permission for my caches, but have never written a letter to get permission.