Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Boat Rentals

33 posts in this topic

I have an idea for a new category: Boat Rentals

I know this would be a comercial category - and most of us do not like those comercial categories anymore.

It would also be some kind of recreation category. And did you ever looked into the eyes of your children or your sweetheart, when you hire such a rowing boat or a pedal boat? They clow like the stars!

Such Boat Rentals can be found all around the world. They are not too rare but also not too common.

You usually find them at lakes or rivers inside parks or at tourist spots.

What do you think?

Is this a valid category candidate?

I wonder for years that we have no such category!

I think a category for any boat rental would be far too prevalent. Limiting it to human powered boats (as I think you are suggesting) might have more of a chance. I think such a category would be a fun one!

Can I count the two in my garage that I rent out to geocachers? Just kidding!

I think a category for any boat rental would be far too prevalent. Limiting it to human powered boats (as I think you are suggesting) might have more of a chance.

That was exactly my idea! Only human powered boats.

...Can I count the two in my garage that I rent out to geocachers? Just kidding!

For sure! :laughing:

@Tante.Hossi: "Human Powered Boats Rentals" Far away from the sea these rentals are not too common. But I can imagine that there are many along the shores, maybe I'm wrong, because it could be difficult to use a rowing boat at a wavy place. Perhpas we have an overlap with marinas, I think inside a marina you will often find a boat rental.

Human Powered.

Plenty enough in the UK away from the sea!

Most tourist places with a river.

Fancy a Punt on the River Cam in Cambridge? :laughing:

Or if you prefer the other University in Ox/Bridge you can hire a Punt (or boat) on the River Thames in Oxford.

Could be worth a category. :)

Would a Pedalo be allowed?

Pedalo.jpeg

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Of corse! Is pedalo the better term than pedal boat?

Of corse! Is pedalo the better term than pedal boat?

Better term? Probably! :laughing:

From wikipedia

A pedalo (British English) or paddle boat (US, Canadian, and Australian English) is a small human-powered watercraft propelled by the action of pedals turning a paddle wheel.

In my experience, they are 'usually' found at the beach. And can come in various shapes... :rolleyes:

prod_2585.jpgpedalo-cup-01.jpg

Oops! Just rented my first rowing boat in many years two days ago and didn't take a picture of the facility. Why didn't you come up with this idea a week before? Sigh!

It's a valid idea. I think it would fit better in the Recreation department.

I support the limitation to human powered boats. Another thing to consider: especially in touristic areas they often come in groups. (Nobody knows better than me; I tried to return my boat to the guy under the yellow umbrella, but I had it from the one under the red!) Would you allow submissions for every rental at a location?

Maybe the 528 feet rule should be a consideration. Hate to go there, though!

Maybe the 528 feet rule should be a consideration. Hate to go there, though!

Is that an attempt to make a GEOCACHING joke? laughing.gif

Edited for grammar. (It's just not funny if there is a grammatical mistake)

Edited by jhuoni

Good idea. You can count with my vote.

I like the category idea. Our family has a cabin at a lake and the resort rents out small trolling boats and human-powered paddle boats. I've actually thought of this idea recently and you beat me to it. Good luck with it.

You mean to tell me there isn't a category for this all ready?

I did a quick search of the South Carolina State Parks and there are only SIX state parks which rent PEDAL BOATS. That doesn't mean there aren't private businesses that rent these vehicles.

From what I can tell, there are several types of HUMAN POWERED water "crafts".

You have the standard PEDAL BOAT -

FijiDlx+pedel+boat.jpg

And variation on this craft -

duck-destiny-pedal-boat-1.gif

swan-pedal-boat-3.gif

Water Trikes and Bikes:

paddle%20bike1a.jpgbf1221ad-dcc7-4781-b844-894cec9c6c10Large.jpg

itBikes-dock-in-Paris.jpg?PHPSESSID=04c7be814d62cc3ae727960c1f05383a

There are also PEDAL powered submarines.

The+Scubster+%281%29.jpg

As far as HUMAN POWERED WATERCRAFT as a new category - I would support the idea. After doing all this on line searching, you would think I would be interested in it.

One sticking point maybe ROW BOAT, KAYAK, PADDLE BOARD rentals. If the category is specifically for HUMAN POWERED craft, then these should also be allowed.

Suggested variables:

Location? Beach/Bay, River/Lake.

Rental Cost per Hour?

I hope this helps your cause!

Does the boating pool get to be included?

BoatingPoolRotunda1965.jpg

Often a smaller one, just for the children.

children%27s%20boating%20pool%20c1960.jpg

Thanks for your ideas and sample pictures!

If we'll create such a category, I will keep it simple!

No restrictions about distance between different rentals if there is more than one at one location.

I would accept every kind of human powered watercrafts (paddle boat, row boat, canoe, kayak, StandUp Paddling (SUP), XXL balls, ...) that is for rent.

I would add some (optional) variables:

• address
  • website
  • season and hours of operation
  • costs

Name for category?

• Human powered watercraft rentals
  • Human powered boat rentals
  • Boat rentals

I would add some (optional) variables:

• address
  • website
  • season and hours of operation
  • costs - Charge/Deposit. Length of time

Name for category?

• Human powered watercraft rentals
  • Human powered boat rentals
  • Boat rentals

Name. I think it needs "Human Powered" (Or Self-propelled?) in there.

A new group Human Powered Watercraft Rentals has been created.

Maybe someone is interested in becomming an officer? Please join!

Edited by Tante.Hossi

Another question: when we hear boat rental, we think about waterside rentals for instant use. What about businesses where you can rent a canoe (or so, most other boat types are not so easy to transport) for a week or two to use it at a different location?

Another question: when we hear boat rental, we think about waterside rentals for instant use. What about businesses where you can rent a canoe (or so, most other boat types are not so easy to transport) for a week or two to use it at a different location?

A good question! Did not think of this before.

I would prefer to exclude this kind of rentals.

Where should the coordinates be taken? As near as possible to the point where you exchange your moolah for the ticket or receipt?

I'd think that if there is essentially one boat rental company that has multiple windows/kiosks/whatever that you'd want to limit it to one waymark per area or company or something. Seems like it'd be spam if each particular booth or whatever could be a separate waymark.

A strong group with experienced waymarkers has been established.

A first draw of a category description is emerging.

So please stand by and write down additional requiremets and any concerns!

A strong group with experienced waymarkers has been established.

A first draw of a category description is emerging.

So please stand by and write down additional requiremets and any concerns!

1) I don't see the point of the variant "address" in a game/hobby/activity which is GPS based. Coordinates are the location, street name becomes irrelevant. Even more in such a category where typically places will be away from a road /steet... rentals on a beach, rentals on a river bank, etc.

2) A variant "Seasonal" YES/No could be a good idea.

Definitely agree on the address. Not needed.

(What gets me is the categories that I contribute waymarks of really old things, and they require an address, even though the thing never had an address when it was alive; other than Rural Route 1!!)

Glad to see this one underway. Sure there is a commercial aspect to it, but also a strong recreational tie-in so I think it is a good fit for Waymarking. There may be some sites that rent such things as kayaks that are not close to the water, just as there are dive shops (a current category) that are not.

Seasonal is a definite variable. Instead of physical address, a free-form box for "Physical Location" might be good.

There are also some places where these are for rent only during special events. I am thinking of a Cranberry Festival near here where paddle boats are available. I view these as temporary sites, not even really seasonal.

I look for forward to seeing this in peer review soon.

The site doesn't let you vote Chicago style.

"You know how they finally determined that Elvis was dead?

He was registered to vote in Chicago!"

Category is in Peer Review. Please vote!

Do we know the result of this PR yet?

Category is in Peer Review. Please vote!

Do we know the result of this PR yet?

Passed!

Waymarks already submitted and accepted. :D

Passed!

Waymarks already submitted and accepted. :D

Great, congratulations!

Yes, our new category has passed Peer Review and some Waymarks have already been posted. Please post others as well!

Some interesting things about the category:

The Lackeys at GS HQ have changed some details! This has never happen to one of my categories before!

• The name of the category has been changed from 'Human Powered Watercraft Rentals' to 'Watercraft Rentals (Human Powered)' --> only a small change, doesn't matter ...
  • The location of the category within the catalogue has been changed! They have changed the Department from 'Recreation' to 'Business' --> so we have created a commercial category - even we don't wanted to!

Some interesting things about the category:

The Lackeys at GS HQ have changed some details! This has never happen to one of my categories before!

[*]The name of the category has been changed from 'Human Powered Watercraft Rentals' to 'Watercraft Rentals (Human Powered)' --> only a small change, doesn't matter ...

Hadn't noticed, but thinking about it, it makes sense for searches...

[*]The location of the category within the catalogue has been changed! They have changed the Department from 'Recreation' to 'Business' --> so we have created a commercial category - even we don't wanted to!

:unsure: Erm... OK. :huh:

At least it's up and running, or rather up and paddling!

:laughing:

10339631_10206711965380359_3957030281673051167_n.jpg?oh=320158140a82372c38bedf6e2c1ab0e6&oe=55D92B2C Not so perfect, but better than store.gif What do you think?

Thanks to lumbricus! Looks fine!

As category leader I say: It can be used for the category!