found an unactivated geocoin: what to do?

We Play Outside

I recently went out geocaching with a friend, and we visited a cache that I, but not my friend, had previously visited about 4 years ago. I stayed quiet as she navigated around and she found the cache without my help. Inside was a GeoCoin. We left a note in the book and took the coin.

She is not a member of geocaching.com and suggested I should move it to the next cache, since I geocache more often than she does. I agreed. I noticed when I got home that I am able to add another log to a cache I have already visited, so I thought that problem was solved (was worried I couldn't log this visit b/c I had already done so before). I logged my visit but could see no indication that a geocoin had been placed in that cache.

So I entered the number on the Geocoin page to see if I could somehow log the coin that way, but the message said it needed to be activated. When I began that process it congratulated me on my new geocoin, so I exited the process. I do not want to claim ownership of the coin, since I didn't buy it or put it there.

What should I do?

Edited by Eartha
Removed tracking number at poster's request.

Is the coin in fact a Xmas snow globe? If it is not you may have mis-transcribed the tracking number and got another coin instead.

If it is in fact LandSharkz Snow Globe... does it have anywhere in its vinyl pouch the activation code to activate it? Or you may need to contact recent finders and ask them if they dropped off the wrong coin by mistake.

Finding unactivated coins is very rare but the only way for it to be a gift is if the giver left instructions on how to activate it.

Oh ... and for future reference it is not wise to post in public the tracking code on a coin... it is meant to be secret and only available to those who have found or seen the coin in person.

Hi We Play Outside :) It looks like you found an unactivated geocoin that someone has left as swag. If you change your mind and want to activate it, send us a note through our geocaching.com profile and we'll send you the activation code. We designed and produced that coin and our business is in Victoria, BC.

I read back through the logs and don't see any record of anyone noting that they left it. It might be unusual in some parts of the world, but not on Vancouver Island because our business is based here and we (and others) sometimes leave unactivated geocoins in caches. Droo said that "the only way for it to be a gift is if the giver left instructions on how to activate it" but actually that's not really true. It's up to the person leaving the coin how much information they want to leave or sometimes it's the result of sheer laziness! I occasionally grab a couple of unactivated geocoins to leave as swag as I head out the door to go caching and I often don't take the time to write up instructions. Chris and I didn't visit that cache you found it in, but it would appear that someone who had a spare Snow Globe geocoin kicking around left it as swag. We had them in some grab bags recently and so it's possible that they're getting to be 'a dime a dozen' around here :).

So, now what to do? You took a high value swag item not realizing it was swag. I usually use my phone to check on the status of a trackable before I leave the cache. Next time you go caching, you could leave the unactivated coin as swag (with a note!), or keep the coin and leave some other new swag in a future cache that is low on decent swag.

As Droo mentioned, the number engraved on the coin is private to the owner and finders. You should edit your log on the cache (and your post here) to remove the tracking number. That's the secret number for people who actually have the coin. By making it public, anyone can 'activate' 'grab', 'retrieve', 'discover' etc. That should only happen when someone finds the coin or is shown the coin, not by seeing a tracking number online.

Edited by Landsharkz

Thank you for all the replies.

First, sorry about posting the Geocoin number: how do I edit my post? This post here shows an edit button when I post it (edited to add that, obviously, lol) but there is no such button on my first post. Perhaps the ability to edit changes after a while?

Second, I can confirm that it is, indeed, a Christmas snow globe geocoin, and I did get the correct ID number.

Third, I recall that the person who left the coin noted doing so in the cache log. I will go to the cache today and see if I can find any more information about it, even just the username. I remember it was left on August 6, just a few days before we found it.

If I cannot track down the person who left it, I will go ahead and activate the coin (and I will leave some swag in exchange for the coin) and move it on to a new cache (I'm travelling this month and can take it pretty far away, which is always fun I think!).

Thanks again for all the advice!

Edited by We Play Outside

Finding unactivated coins is very rare but the only way for it to be a gift is if the giver left instructions on how to activate it....

i've dropped coins without instructions on how to activate it. didn't know i had to.

usually i write a note that says it's a gift free to keep but trade fairly. although i know most people do not carry swag of equal value to a geocoin.