GPS for Hiking and Caching

I have been caching for only a couple of months with my two young sons. It has reinvigorated my love and sparked my boys' love of the outdoors. We are now combining caching with hiking and soon backpacking trips and going further and further. Mix that with my terrible sense of direction and you can all guess what usually happens. Having no experience with GPSs, I need to ask the most basic of questions (feel free to judge if you must)... I get the caching part of it but how does the hiking part work? Would I have to purchase additional maps or can I use the ones that come preloaded? Foe example, if I am hiking Trail A will it have that trail on the screen and follow us along as our navigation system in the car does? We usually cache and hike in heavily wooded areas and the Iphone apps only show us somewhere in a big block of green.

Thank you all in advance for your guidance and direction.

-chris.

Included maps probably won't have trails. There are some maps available with trails, but that can be dependant on the area. Some are free, some cost money.

Please make sure you carry a paper map as well, a compass and have a basic understand of using them. You don't want to get lost because your GPS dies.

Included maps probably won't have trails. There are some maps available with trails, but that can be dependant on the area. Some are free, some cost money.

Please make sure you carry a paper map as well, a compass and have a basic understand of using them. You don't want to get lost because your GPS dies.

+1.

We've done some long hikes but nothing overnight. My wife and I both carry a GPS so there is backup there....on long hikes I bring extra batteries. With a GPS you can make a waypoint for where your car is parked plus leave breadcrumb waypoints along the trail. What we have used most is the BACKTRACK feature on our GPS.....its easy to get turned around in the thick stuff but you can always go back the way you came because the unit records your movements along the trail. You just follow the yellow brick road ( or pick another color for your track line )back the same way you went in.....great feature we use all the time. Once you're back you will have a trail map, at least of the trail you took.

Chris,

GPSFiledepot.com has nice, free topo and transparency maps (trails) that work quite nicely in an Etrex20. Though I do way more hiking than caching these last couple of years, the Etrex20 works perfectly for both combined pursuits. Mine has for two years now.

GPSFiledepot is a donation based site, so consider helping. Topos are state by state. Also get the transparent "My Trails" map. It has most every trail in the US on it and overlays on top of whatever topo map you run on the GPS. Also...instructions at the site on how to get maps to the GPS. That and loaded cache files and you'd be good to go.

Like others have said...You can get free maps for your GPS. It just depends on the trails.

Most of the trails my husband has loaded (and/or were available) are well known trails. Once you get to the trail head, its a no-brainer and the maps are just about useless if you follow the well-used trail path.

Just remember to always MARK A WAYPOINT (in the GPS unit itself) at the trail head and/or where your vehicle is parked. Your handheld GPS should mark a path/route of where you've traveled as you walk. This route can come in handy to help you get back to the car/trailhead if you get lost.

As always, do some research of the area/trails, never go alone, and always tell someone where you will be and about what time you're expected back home.

You don't need to carry a map and compass nor have any understanding of them. Carry an extra battery and don't worry but marking the trail head yes. I have done 15 mile plus hikes into the wilderness and with a GPS and extra batteries you can't get lost. Just turn on the track view and retrace.

I know some serious hikers that do multiple day trips and just chuckle when I ask them if they carry maps.

If you are going that far out you should have a map but that is probably less than one percent if that of cachers. To make a blanket claim about something being needed by the rest of the community because of such a small number does make sense. I still say no maps needed and those who are doing what you say should know what they need.

If you are going that far out you should have a map and the knowledge of how to use it but that is probably less than one percent if that of cachers. To make a blanket claim about something being needed by the rest of the community because of such a small number does make sense. I still say no maps needed and those who are doing what you say should know what they need.

Fixed it for you.

GPS is like a Jeep. It helps you get farther from help before you know what you are doing. Every single time I enter the backcountry I have a paper map and compass. Even when we have twelve GPS units in the group. Nevermind your handheld unit, there are times (very rare) where the GPS system itself is unavailable.