Do not drill a hole for a cache.

jellis

It's not a very long street, and there are not any caches on it but a few multi's and puzzles the next street over from the same hider, although no new ones. There might be room in a few places, but although they probably weren't caught, they likely know the police investigated. Its certainly possible to find the hole, and it probably wouldn't take too long, to see how it could have been used. Other than mounting a video camera, hooking up a box for illegal wiretapping, cable TV, power, or hiding a cache, I can't think of too many other reasons.

I've found only one cache in which someone drilled a utility pole to hide a film can under a reflector, although many utility poles have preexisting holes which are about 1/2 inch in diameter and go completely through them. There are several others I've found that had drilling involved, so that can't be ruled out..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Wow I wasn't aware caches could be so close to schools. I was going to say with the three schools surrounding the road it would be hard to get a cache in but it looks like one starts in the school parking lot.

It looks like one is on the corner of the school's baseball field, while a second is on the property of a catholic school and church. They don't look too bad, although questionable.

Has anyone been by Mingo lately? The next closest cache to the real Mingo, has a large hole drilled in the utility pole that a bison is in with tag attached to the outside that is suppose to cover the hole that says MINGO

I have placed several caches in Northwest Kansas including the new CACHE-OPOLY Hide by Mingo. I Found the one you are referring to when I hid that one. I can't believe that is allowed and has been so popular with the favorite points...

Has anyone been by Mingo lately? The next closest cache to the real Mingo, has a large hole drilled in the utility pole that a bison is in with tag attached to the outside that is suppose to cover the hole that says MINGO

I have placed several caches in Northwest Kansas including the new CACHE-OPOLY Hide by Mingo. I Found the one you are referring to when I hid that one. I can't believe that is allowed and has been so popular with the favorite points...

I can't believe that it is "allowed" either, but I have seen two caches like it, one in New Mexico and one in Colorado. I do not know whether the holes used were preexisting.

GC559M6? Published 3 months ago it has 90 finds and 12 favorites. Are you certain that the hole was installed by a geocacher? As some utility poles have holes already.

It seems that since Mingo isn't buried anymore, nobody has destroyed it since then, so we shall see how long this one lasts.. In the meantime it will get plenty of visits and some will probably copy it, with the reviewer saying they aren't a cache cop...:ph34r:

GC559M6? Published 3 months ago it has 90 finds and 12 favorites. Are you certain that the hole was installed by a geocacher? As some utility poles have holes already.

It seems that since Mingo isn't buried anymore, nobody has destroyed it since then, so we shall see how long this one lasts.. In the meantime it will get plenty of visits and some will probably copy it, with the reviewer saying they aren't a cache cop...:ph34r:

That's okay, we've got dozens of cache cops nearby in the forum! ;)

The caches near Mingo are pretty safe and are well known by the locals. Many times when my nearby cache GC4K4QN gets found, cachers are often greeted by the locals and they talk "geocaching. Even the guy who mows the ditches is aware of them

I can't be the only one who goes and drills holes in telephone poles at 1 am? :)

I know a local cacher that does lots to those poles.... Then again he works for the city(which owns them)

Kinda makes for interesting cache hiding opportunities.

I know a guy that used to work for the city and all the caches was buried. :laughing: Water meter boxes hide we call them. They were everywhere around the city and the city knew it. :laughing:

The caches near Mingo are pretty safe and are well known by the locals. Many times when my nearby cache GC4K4QN gets found, cachers are often greeted by the locals and they talk "geocaching. Even the guy who mows the ditches is aware of them

Then how did Mingo get destroyed so many times? It was in regular intervals of 3-4 months, but then stopped completely once it wasn't buried anymore. It wasn't someone local, and likely someone retired or a trucker.

Yes I am sure it was not a pre-existing hole. You can see how fresh the drill hole is and it's too big to be even put there by the utility company. And the big bison fit and the tag covering was too perfect. The ranchers and farmers don't own the utility poles and I don't believe the CO got permission either.

Edited by jellis

Those holes in the poles are drilled to test to see if they are rotten. After they are done, they plugged it. Yes, I had see cacher take the "plug" out and put a cache style plug in. I know one that require you to take a tool to unscrew it. :blink:

The old style plug is just hammered in, but the new style plug are screwed in. The old style plug does come loose sometime. Yes, I do check those to see if they got a cache under them.

There was one cache that I know that someone really did drill another hole in because there was no way someone from an utility company would drill on their poles like that.

On top of all this... some poles are really private owned. I know my uncle owns a few on his property because my dad set it up. The meter box is on the pole as well.

If you see a pole out by a farmer water well pump, very likely the farmer/rancher own that pole. It often got a meter box and switch box on it.

Those holes in the poles are drilled to test to see if they are rotten. After they are done, they plugged it. Yes, I had see cacher take the "plug" out and put a cache style plug in. I know one that require you to take a tool to unscrew it. :blink:

The old style plug is just hammered in, but the new style plug are screwed in. The old style plug does come loose sometime. Yes, I do check those to see if they got a cache under them.

There was one cache that I know that someone really did drill another hole in because there was no way someone from an utility company would drill on their poles like that.

Most of those I've seen are small about the size of a pencil maybe slightly bigger. This is about an inch in diameter or about the size of a large dog tag.

Most of those I've seen are small about the size of a pencil maybe slightly bigger. This is about an inch in diameter or about the size of a large dog tag.

not the test holes...they are big as my thumb.

I am sure it all depend on the utility company.

When they do test them, they often do a whole area at once. I know they do that in my area.

Here a link to some of the plug sizes that are available.

http://www.scottyreplug.com/product.html

Some are up to 7/8. Thats pretty good size hole to plug.

Are the ones you see angled. The ones I see are except the small pencil sized ones that they just stick a dowel in. The one by Mingo is horizontal. There use to be a photo posted of it somewhere but it's not on the cache page.

Here a link to some of the plug sizes that are available.

http://www.scottyreplug.com/product.html

Some are up to 7/8. Thats pretty good size hole to plug.

Are the ones you see angled. The ones I see are except the small pencil sized ones that they just stick a dowel in. The one by Mingo is horizontal. There use to be a photo posted of it somewhere but it's not on the cache page.

The test holes are angled. They drill down below ground level. Once a while I will see a hole straight in, but often thats because the company used to have something there and remove it and they just plug the hole.

Then how did Mingo get destroyed so many times? It was in regular intervals of 3-4 months, but then stopped completely once it wasn't buried anymore. It wasn't someone local, and likely someone retired or a trucker.

How is Mingo no longer buried? And trust me when I say there's much more to Mingo's story...