gpx file won't open

beast326

I upgraded to premium and ran a pocket query. When I down load to pc and click on the gpx files, it says can't open. Apparently I need to program to open it?? Also when I review the pocket query and pick the caches I won't to look for do I check those boxes and click download waypoints? When I do that, it try's to download a loc file. First try for these things, since I just upgraded this afternoon. Any help would be appreciated. Dan

I plug my eXplorist into my Mac, download the ZIP file with my PQ data, copy the GPX files from the ZIP file to my eXplorist, and then disconnect my eXplorist from my Mac. My understanding is that a similar process works with MS Windows and/or with other GPS receivers.

I upgraded to premium and ran a pocket query. When I down load to pc and click on the gpx files, it says can't open. Apparently I need to program to open it?? Also when I review the pocket query and pick the caches I won't to look for do I check those boxes and click download waypoints? When I do that, it try's to download a loc file. First try for these things, since I just upgraded this afternoon. Any help would be appreciated. Dan

You really have no business opening the download. You (for the most part) cannot do anything with it, except to contaminate it.

Copy, drag or place it to your unit. Don't open it, you cannot read it.

-------------

If you had loaded caches to the unit BEFORE getting the Premium Membership, you will have to remove all of that previously loaded data from the unit. It will cause the unit to read the GPX file as it would a LOC file.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

when I receive the pq, can I just check the box out beside the cache to just keep the ones I want to find? Say I had 100 caches in the pq and have checked boxes on 30 of them to find. Can I just send those 30 to my gps 62s or to my pc all at one time instead of one at a time?

I don't think you are accurately describing what you are doing so please give us a step by step listing.

I say that because when you receive a pq it is a file there are no check boxes next to each one to download to the device unless you have opened it in some third party program. So you are either looking at the preview screen for your pq online or you are using some other software.

Another reason I think that is because you say you are getting loc files. The online screen with a list of caches will only deliver loc files. For a gpx you need to download the pq to your computer and then put it on the device or open it in another program. Or you can go to the individual cache page and download a gpx file for that cache.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Also when I review the pocket query and pick the caches I won't to look for do I check those boxes and click download waypoints? When I do that, it try's to download a loc file.

That sounds like the Review/Search page for a PQ.

That will only give you loc files, which contain very little information.

Once the PQ has run**, and you have it to download, you can't 'select' the caches from within the PQ to send to you GPS.

** You did select Day to Run didn't you?

Edited by Bear and Ragged

when I receive the pq, can I just check the box out beside the cache to just keep the ones I want to find? Say I had 100 caches in the pq and have checked boxes on 30 of them to find. Can I just send those 30 to my gps 62s or to my pc all at one time instead of one at a time?

You will get all 100 caches as a set, in one GPX file. As mentioned, you may have missed steps when creating the Pocket Query. See this:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

That has a basic plan for how to get a Pocket Query. It's easy, but has a little learning curve. You'll probably end up with with two GPX files (caches and parking coordinates) in a ZIP file, so unzip them. The above info doesn't address how to get the GPX files onto your GPSr, since that depends on the device. Some Garmin specific info is here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching

If you plug your Garmin into the USB port, it becomes a USB drive. Browse to [Drive:]\Garmin\GPX, and copy the GPX files to that folder.

Edited by kunarion