Working with Map and GPS in Nad27

Hi all

Need some help I will try and explain need to use my Garmin 62st with a map which will be set for Nad27

But at the same time there is three high geocaches on the mountains and are in WSG87

If I download the caches has normal and my gps is set to WSG87

Then change the gps to Nad27 for my hike and my waypoints which be set in Nad27

If I decide to go for the caches, do I just change the datum back to WSG87

And the caches should show in to WSG87?

Do I understand it right or not?

Any help would be great

Thanks

LWM

If I download the caches has normal and my gps is set to WSG87

Then change the gps to Nad27 for my hike and my waypoints which be set in Nad27

If I decide to go for the caches, do I just change the datum back to WSG87

Yes, set the gps back to WSG87 and go find the caches loaded as WSG87, this would work fine.

You meant WGS84, right? That's what our game uses; see fine print at bottom of any cache page.

To expand on what Red90 said, if you're manually entering coords off the map, you need to switch the unit to the map's datum before entering the coords. Then ASAP afterwards, you should reset it to WGS84 before you forget. (Hiding a cache later when it's still on NAD27 leads to unhappy would-be-finders.)

Don't the later models have a dual display feature like on the 60 series?

On a 60Cx, I can view both the WGS, and the NAD 27, at the same time at the bottom of the

Trip Computer Page. I put the Location (lat/lon), which is always in WGS, in the top Wide Data Field.

Then the Location (selected), in this case NAD 27, in the bottom Wide Data Field. This also works on

other Pages that offer 2 Wide Data Fields, like on the Map Page. Also having them in the Big Numbers

on the Trip Computer Page, is a big help to me. This can help one from having to do a lot of switch-a-roos.

Lat. and Long. on a paper map would be in the same datum as the UTM or any other grid that your map or chart uses/shows. I have lots of older Canadian maps that are Nad. 27 that show both co-ordinate systems. Made long before WGS84. Lat.and Long. on your gps still does not automatically use or default to WGS84 you still need to set your gps to that datum, WGS84 for geocaching.

You still are able to set your gps to show Lat. and Long. in one field and some other grid in another field or box if you chose.

Edited by Forkeye