Achievements of August - Event caches

Ok, here is my problem. I would really like to get all 7 achievements of August, however, in checking the calendar there are not going to be any event caches occurring within a "reasonable" distance from my home in the month of August (on days that I am not working). Am I screwed? Are there such things as internet events? I understand the idea behind event caches it the social aspect, but when there are none that you can attend!! I thought that SLAGA (St Louis Area Geocachers Association) would be my best option. Even they don't have any events listed for August within a "reasonable" distance. When I say "reasonable" distance, I mean within 2-3 hours drive from my home (one way).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by Scouter_Dad

Put together a "Flash Mob" style event. Find a landmark or scenic spot and tell folks to meet up for a short 15 minute event with a group photo. There's a local caching group here that sets these up all the time. They actually did this every day last August for the "31 Days of Caching" promotion.

I am of the "shouldn't log your own event" school, though I won't knock others if they choose to. (off-topic explanation:) I have 1 CITO and 1 event I hosted. I didn't log "attended" on those two. I never occurred to me that people can do that. So if I log an "attended" on future events, there will be an inconsistency in my logging habit. If I go back and retroactively log them, it will throw off my milestones (I know I can lock them, but I know they will be wrong). I'm a little weird...

Anywayyyyyy....

I will be attending an event hosted by another cacher later this month, but I have set up a quick meetup the afternoon of the 31st to give area cachers one last chance to get the most elusive of the 7 souveniers.

actually, a picnic sounds nicer than a flash mob. Plus there's more of a social aspect to it. Just my opinion.

I'm just worried that no one would show up. I live in an area with a low population...sad.gif

well, as long as you show up, you're good.

An event of one... I wonder if that would be some sort of record?

actually, a picnic sounds nicer than a flash mob. Plus there's more of a social aspect to it. Just my opinion.

I'm just worried that no one would show up. I live in an area with a low population...sad.gif

There still are a few caches around your area. I'm sure someone will show up. And if not then you have a nice picnic (or a flash mob) all to yourself. Nothing to worry about really.

There still are a few caches around your area. I'm sure someone will show up. And if not then you have a nice picnic (or a flash mob) all to yourself. Nothing to worry about really.

Kind of funny if a person got a "Socializer" souvenir for being the only person to attend an event... :laughing:

Sort of a side note, but I noticed an interesting phenomenon on the socializer souvenir.

I got an email this morning that I'm close to getting all 7 August souvenirs, just need a couple more! Which I knew, all we need is the Socializer. But I had heard that clicking on empty souvenirs on the 7 Souvenirs of August page would help search up qualifying caches, and I wanted to check it out. So I clicked on the souvenir and got squat, nada, bubkes:

c163055b-efac-40f8-9205-f3e36395f5d0.jpg

Which I found interesting, as we're hosting an event in the area. I know from the latest email that it's the only event in 50 miles, so I would have expected it to show up.

I then ran an advanced search on our home coordinates, and sure enough, we are still hosting an event this Saturday. (A local event we attended in July that hasn't been archived also popped up.)

548b3d5e-48dd-4f44-91c1-ed0922b01f38.jpg

I'm guessing that the souvenirs are set to only find qualifying caches you don't own and haven't found. And that makes sense for the other five. But given that the practice of event organizers logging "attended," while not universal, has been practiced everywhere we've ever attended an event (different parts of Germany, Maryland, Virginia, Alabama, and Oklahoma) -- and is endorsed by posters in this thread -- this was a surprising choice to me.

Edited by hzoi

I'm guessing that the souvenirs are set to only find qualifying caches you don't own and haven't found. And that makes sense for the other five.

Actually, in the first days of August the set up was such that all caches were shown, but later they added the &f=1 to the

search command. Events are a bit difficult to handle as without the &f=1 the ones you have already found and which are not archived, show up as well. Moreover, only those that take place in August are eligible which is also not easy to capture with a single search command of the type the Groundspeak site allows.

I guess if someone organizes an event, this person knows about the event anyway.

Cezanne

I think you need to post an event two weeks out, right? That means if there are no events scheduled for this month by today or tomorrow, you folks are out of luck for the Socializer souvenir.

Or, are going to have to be prepared to travel a fair distance...

Or not worry about getting all of the souvenirs.

I think you need to post an event two weeks out, right? That means if there are no events scheduled for this month by today or tomorrow, you folks are out of luck for the Socializer souvenir.

Or not worry about getting all of the souvenirs.

Let's assume that if someone comes to this thread, they most likely ARE interested in getting the souvenirs. Everyone is well aware that they aren't for everyone.

Does anyone know why a CITO event does not count as an event for the socializer souvenir? It is listed as an event every where else. Originally I thought you would have to attend a CITO and an Event, but then they added the Earth Cache option instead of a CITO . I felt like that was a cop-out... Would it not have made more sense to clump the CITO and the Event Caches together?

Does anyone know why a CITO event does not count as an event for the socializer souvenir? It is listed as an event every where else. Originally I thought you would have to attend a CITO and an Event, but then they added the Earth Cache option instead of a CITO . I felt like that was a cop-out... Would it not have made more sense to clump the CITO and the Event Caches together?

CITO events are included in the Nature Lover (or whatever it is called)

well, as long as you show up, you're good.

I'

An event of one... I wonder if that would be some sort of record?

I just missed being able to attend a WWFM event that only the creator of the event attended. It was in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia but I got there about 6 hours after the event took place. I've only done three of the six requirements and don't have the souvi for an event, a puzzle cache, or a multi. I checked if I might be able to get the one for a multi today but there are only 4 of them within 100 miles of where I'm at and the closest is disabled. There are no events at all (the last one was in April) and none planned for anywhere close to where I live. I'll be traveling again the last week in August but won't have a car and there are no events planned nearby. I *could* create an event but I don't know if anyone would go to a resort at Disneyworld to attend an event and it would feel too much like gaming the system to obtain the souvenir (apparently many don't have a problem with that though).

The caches I've found to qualify for the August souvenirs are 1440 and 2275 miles from home. One of them is placed in a location where one can look into the crater of an active volcano.

I am also just missing an event to finish these off. I am going to have to take a morning off work to get to one. Due to my travel/vacation schedule, the only event cache I can make it to is 10 AM on a Tuesday at a coffee shop on the far side of town. It will be fun. I just can't believe I am taking vacation time just to get some digital clip-art.

I am of the "shouldn't log your own event" school, though I won't knock others if they choose to. (off-topic explanation:) I have 1 CITO and 1 event I hosted. I didn't log "attended" on those two. I never occurred to me that people can do that. So if I log an "attended" on future events, there will be an inconsistency in my logging habit. If I go back and retroactively log them, it will throw off my milestones (I know I can lock them, but I know they will be wrong). I'm a little weird...

Anywayyyyyy....

I will be attending an event hosted by another cacher later this month, but I have set up a quick meetup the afternoon of the 31st to give area cachers one last chance to get the most elusive of the 7 souveniers.

Does it really matter if there's an inconsistency in your logging habits?

If you don't log some events you hosted but at a later date decide to start logging them, what's the problem?

If it's really such a big deal that "Pork King" should not attend an event hosted by "Pork King" then create a new basic account, host an event using the new ID, and attend it.

Anywayyyyyy....

It does to me. It's the little things that bug me. It would be like a picture hanging in my hall that's slightly off-kilter. It would eat at me every time I looked at it.

If you don't log some events you hosted but at a later date decide to start logging them, what's the problem?

See above. Everything must be consistent.

If it's really such a big deal that "Pork King" should not attend an event hosted by "Pork King" then create a new basic account, host an event using the new ID, and attend it.

I don't mind not logging my hosted events. creating an account to create a cache to log it with my main account opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. I have issues with that...

Anywayyyyyy....

It does to me. It's the little things that bug me. It would be like a picture hanging in my hall that's slightly off-kilter. It would eat at me every time I looked at it.

See above. Everything must be consistent.

I don't mind not logging my hosted events. creating an account to create a cache to log it with my main account opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. I have issues with that...

You may find it liberating to stop being a Puritan relax a little (except for November - which of course is Puritan Month).

I'm still not sure I understand why someone would be against logging an event they host. Do you not perform the exact same actions that others do in order to "Attend" it?

Drive to GZ? Meet other cachers at GZ? Sign a logbook (though apparently not a requirement)?

It's not the same as hiding a cache container or devising the questions that others have to answer in order to claim an earthcache.

Until I read that here, I didn't even realize it was a concern among others. In my opinion, logging your own event cache is less questionable than logging a cache that someone else in your group found. That's actually the biggest reason I prefer to cache alone.

I'm still not sure I understand why someone would be against logging an event they host. Do you not perform the exact same actions that others do in order to "Attend" it?

Drive to GZ? Meet other cachers at GZ? Sign a logbook (though apparently not a requirement)?

It's not the same as hiding a cache container or devising the questions that others have to answer in order to claim an earthcache.

By that logic, webcam owners should be able to log their caches if they go to the location, get their picture taken, and upload that photo to the GC website. The same with virtual cache owners who simply require that a photo be uploaded.

The reason I don't log events that I host (and would not log my own webcam or virtual caches, if I owned any) is because I already feel I'm getting credit for those caches in my "Hides" count. I prefer not to receive double credit for them in my "Finds" count as well.

Until I read that here, I didn't even realize it was a concern among others. In my opinion, logging your own event cache is less questionable than logging a cache that someone else in your group found. That's actually the biggest reason I prefer to cache alone.

I'm not concerned about others who log their own events. It just doesn't fit the way I choose to geocache.

I'm 0 for 7 on the souvenirs so far... In Central Texas, there just isn't too much appeal to caching in August, when a nice, cool day is in the upper 90s.

Ironically, I hosted an event this past Saturday. When I posted the event 2 months ago, I didn't know about August souvenirs, and I didn't know it was International Geocaching Day. Go figure--I made a lot of cachers happy though!

I'm also of the don't-log-my-own-event group (but I certainly don't care if others do differently).

Edited by BaylorGrad

I used to be in the "won't log my own events" camp, but then a work situatin made me darn near miss an event I was hosting. That made me realize that yes, you CAN miss your own event. So I started logging my events. The same thing has happened several times since then. Of all my events, I think there have been 4, maybe 5, situations where I was only there for the last 5-10 minutes of it.

So for the August souvenirs, There are a couple of events I hope to get to...I always try anyway...but because of personal issues and where they are we may not make it. So I am hosting a "last chance" meet & eat event very close to my house on the 31st as a safety net for myself and whomever else in my area may need it.

By that logic, webcam owners should be able to log their caches if they go to the location, get their picture taken, and upload that photo to the GC website. The same with virtual cache owners who simply require that a photo be uploaded.

Except you cannot create either a webcam or a virtual cache anymore, so that is kind of pointless to bring up. If we could still make them, I would actually argue "why not?". You're right...they are within that logic, so I don't suppose I would have any qualms about logging my own virtual if I were only to require a photo. After all, I had to go to the exact same effort as anyone else logging it. Once questions and answers come into it, though...then the effort is not the same.

The reason I don't log events that I host (and would not log my own webcam or virtual caches, if I owned any) is because I already feel I'm getting credit for those caches in my "Hides" count. I prefer not to receive double credit for them in my "Finds" count as well.

Obviously I don't care whether you log your own events or not, but I don't consider the attended log credit. Instead I see the attended logs as a record of who was there. If you don't file one, I'll have to treat you as a special case if, say, I want to figure out who I met at the event. While only a minor, slightly inconvenient inconsistency, I still think that's more important than any consideration of "Do I deserve to log it as attended?"

Obviously I don't care whether you log your own events or not, but I don't consider the attended log credit.

But Groundspeak does credit it to my "Finds" count, which is what I'm talking about here. No biggie, though.

And that's the same logic a group of geocachers which hid 800 caches on a power trail used to justify logging a find for all of them (because they didn't get "credit" for hiding 800 caches).

I'm not concerned about others who log their own events. It just doesn't fit the way I choose to geocache.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me in the least if attending an event did not count as a "find" at all.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I'm 0 for 7 on the souvenirs so far... In Central Texas, there just isn't too much appeal to caching in August, when a nice, cool day is in the upper 90s.

Ironically, I hosted an event this past Saturday. When I posted the event 2 months ago, I didn't know about August souvenirs, and I didn't know it was International Geocaching Day. Go figure--I made a lot of cachers happy though!

I'm also of the don't-log-my-own-event group (but I certainly don't care if others do differently).

You "don't log your own event people" are really coming out of the woodwork on this one! :laughing: Before today, I thought BrianSnat was like the only one. I'll tell you what, I'm about as obnoxious of an old schooler as you'll ever come across (A Puritan, as Toz would say), and I always have and always will log my own event. (The record shows I only hosted one event on Geocaching.com years ago, but there have been 10+ on alternative websites). I think you non-loggers are a distinct minority. But hey, at least you're all being nice about it. :)

And that's the same logic a group of geocachers which hid 800 caches on a power trail used to justify logging a find for all of them (because they didn't get "credit" for hiding 800 caches).

No, I'm saying I don't want to receive double credit for them. That group is arguing they want to get some credit for them.

Whether or not Groundspeak should allow for more than one hider per cache is a different issue.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Well, then. This got interesting.

Question for those who have responded who do not log their own events. Do others in your area leave "attended" logs for their events? I'm curious as to whether this is a personal choice, a community norm where you cache, or both.

If you have attendet your own event, you should log it. It's not like with physical containers - you don't search them, normally.

If you were the only one on the event, it's normally interpreted so that there was no event (no people = no event, 1 person != people) and you can't 'attend' something that was not there.

Chiming in on the side of the "minority" - we have never logged attended on our own event and never will.

To hzoi - I don't think other locals (NW Indiana) log their own event, but I'm not sure as I honestly don't police other caches and only police other cachers on our own caches (within guidelines).

Mrs. Car54

If I plan a nice picnic and send invites, I will still eat if you do not show up. Similarly, if I schedule a geocaching event and you don't show up, then I will still be there (wondering if I smell). Since I attended the scheduled geocaching event, I will post my 'attended' log.

Edited by sbell111

Please remember that hosts are people, too. If a host is present at an event and/or at least one guest is present, then there is an event.

Yes, it's what I was trying to say. It must be at least 1 guest. A host is a person, but is not the people, at least not alone :)

So, if I throw a birthday party for just myself, then you're saying it never happened? How odd.

Please remember that hosts are people, too. If a host is present at an event and/or at least one guest is present, then there is an event.

Yes, it's what I was trying to say. It must be at least 1 guest. A host is a person, but is not the people, at least not alone :)

So, if I throw a birthday party for just myself, then you're saying it never happened? How odd.

No, I think they're saying that no people attended your birthday party.

...I'm so confused... :blink: