hiding spot

after finding forty caches i think im ready to hide some

but wear are some good spots for them that would be a little difficult??

If you have to ask where are good spots, you are not ready to hide your own yet. Find some more, until you know what makes a good spot.

btw, your profile shows 12 hides already. What's up with that?

You have duplicate logs on some caches.

(And you appear to be logging finds on your own caches...)

Are you caching with the basic app on a phone?

Few of your cache finds are higher D/T rated ones.

To find out what makes a cache harder to find, try finding a few higher rated D/T caches.

You own 12 caches. blink.gif

Regarding caches that are a little difficult......(although I don't do these) there's the tree climbing hide....cachers (but not me) love to climb trees (I suppose I might if I could).

I noticed the photos of yourself in your profile...you appear to be under 18 years of age. Be sure that your parents are aware that you have a geocaching account and are hiding caches. If you hide tree climbing caches, be sure that you get their approval beforehand.

Geocaching.com Terms of Use

If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement.

Edited by L0ne.R

You've only been caching since May, have 12 hides and have already had to archive 4 of them? Numerous complaints and coordinate changes (so you obviously don't know how to obtain coordinates) and, in one case, apparently a live frog placed in a cache.

Stop hiding caches. Just stop. You don't know what you're doing.

Edited by Chief301

You've only been caching since May, have 12 hides and have already had to archive 4 of them? Numerous complaints and coordinate changes (so you obviously don't know how to obtain coordinates) and, in one case, apparently a live frog placed in a cache.

I suspect this is an unsupervised account. Now that they drew attention to themself by posting in the forums their account may be locked, and it me very well need locked. This person is not responsable enough to be geocaching on their own from reading their posts on their own listings. Which brings up the "Adopt a Newbie" question again. :laughing:

When the caches you're already hiding are lasting a week (or less, in some cases) the best thing you can do is stop hiding them until you've figured out what keeps going wrong.

Sometimes a cache disappears within a short time but you've archived four of your own caches within a short time so there's clearly something wrong. Your best bet is to stop hiding them, go and find some more, and figure out what makes a good hiding spot based on what you enjoy finding.

Another point - I noticed you logging that your own cache needs maintenance and writing notes but encrypting them. When you're asking people to do stuff, don't encrypt the logs because most of the time people will just ignore it rather than taking the time to decrypt.

I suspect this is an unsupervised account. Now that they drew attention to themself by posting in the forums their account may be locked, and it me very well need locked. This person is not responsable enough to be geocaching on their own from reading their posts on their own listings. Which brings up the "Adopt a Newbie" question again. :laughing:

It also brings up the question of why people are allowed to keep publishing caches when they've got such a track record of putting stuff out that just doesn't last. It's easy to accept that sometimes a cache disappears but when they frequently struggle to last a week before being considered unsuitable there's clearly something very wrong.

It also brings up the question of why people are allowed to keep publishing caches when they've got such a track record of putting stuff out that just doesn't last. It's easy to accept that sometimes a cache disappears but when they frequently struggle to last a week before being considered unsuitable there's clearly something very wrong.

Unfortunately reviewers are only required to ensure that cache placements meet the applicable guidelines. They don't judge for quality and I don't think they have the leeway to deny placements because the hider has a shoddy track record, either.

Just as past approval of a type of hide doesn't guarantee that a similar hide would be published today, past crappy hides by a particular cacher isn't necessarily grounds to deny a new hide from said cacher, assuming it meets all the guidelines.

Unfortunately reviewers are only required to ensure that cache placements meet the applicable guidelines. They don't judge for quality and I don't think they have the leeway to deny placements because the hider has a shoddy track record, either.

Just as past approval of a type of hide doesn't guarantee that a similar hide would be published today, past crappy hides by a particular cacher isn't necessarily grounds to deny a new hide from said cacher, assuming it meets all the guidelines.

Since permanence is in the guidelines, I would think that consistent violation of cache permanence would at the very least allow a reviewer to tie up publication while forcing the hider to confirm that he or she has done due diligence to ensure the cache will remain. I would think that they could also bump it up to headquarters to see if the account could be locked if it is obvious the account holder does not meet the age requirements.

The fact that they had no clue the very first poster was going to bust them for lying about saying they were ready to hide their first cache speaks volumes for the naivete of an unsupervised child/teenage cacher. A naivete that is often shown in their hides and poorly written cache pages. Believe it or not, I encountered my first unsupervised 13 year old cacher(s) way back in 2005. And yes, that's plural, there was a whole gang of them who were friends. I'll not get into any details, but lets just say their collective contribution to local cache density was less than stellar. :o

And it should be a no-brainer that the number of unsupervised children/teens involved in Geocaching has increased, I don't know, about 10,000 fold in the smartphone era? How long has the language been in the terms of use, anyways?

The fact that they had no clue the very first poster was going to bust them for lying about saying they were ready to hide their first cache speaks volumes for the naivete of an unsupervised child/teenage cacher. A naivete that is often shown in their hides and poorly written cache pages. Believe it or not, I encountered my first unsupervised 13 year old cacher(s) way back in 2005. And yes, that's plural, there was a whole gang of them who were friends. I'll not get into any details, but lets just say their collective contribution to local cache density was less than stellar. :o

And it should be a no-brainer that the number of unsupervised children/teens involved in Geocaching has increased, I don't know, about 10,000 fold in the smartphone era? How long has the language been in the terms of use, anyways?

They sure have been great for Groundspeak's business, PMO listings used to be rare. :laughing:

So my "Adopt a Newbie" words of advice to the OP would be to stop introducing non-geocachers that would place a live animal in a geocache and leave it to die just for the poots and giggles. You may have found a good location for a geocache, your mistake was telling your non-geocaching friends about them. :huh:

I hear what you're saying, it's just a shame that the guidelines don't allow someone with a shoddy track record to have to jump through some further hoops to make sure the world isn't going to get another cache that will be archived within a week, or archived for non-maintenance, or whatever else is a recurring theme.

I don't expect reviewers to judge quality - there's no way they can do that without visiting the site - but it is rather sad that a reviewer can archive a bunch of one owner's caches for non-maintenance and then immediately publish another bunch of caches placed by the same owner.

Good advice is fine. But stop the cruel remarks. He's just a kid and doesn't deserve the bashing that goes on way to often here.

Then offer him advice. :anibad: I think telling his friends that are not geocachers was a bad idea. They put a frog (Signal is a Frog) in his geocache and left it to die. That is animal cruelty. :(

Also I don't understand why he logs his own listings or posts NM's on them.

Good advice is fine. But stop the cruel remarks. He's just a kid and doesn't deserve the bashing that goes on way to often here.

I don't think there's been anything particularly cruel, except for the death of the frog (which I have not read up on). :huh: Ultimately, although it will never be enforced, he's not allowed to use the services of this website, without supervision. This is an issue. Within the past year, an unsupervised 12 year old cacher found one of my challenge caches for his very first find (which he obviously didn't qualify for), took it with him, and hid it completely intact, with my original logbook, 3 miles away in a different park as his own cache.

And I'd still like to know when that age language was added to the terms of service. Anyone?

Then offer him advice. :anibad: I think telling his friends that are not geocachers was a bad idea. They put a frog (Signal is a Frog) in his geocache and left it to die. That is animal cruelty. :(

Also I don't understand why he logs his own listings or posts NM's on them.

I know fully grown ups doing that. :ph34r:

To roll this back on topic. A good place for a cache is where it doesnt upset the neighbors, its hidden in a way that a muggle isnt likely to find it and call the 911. If you want a cache to last a long time at that location, think of every possible ways that is a bad location, from all angles.

I don't think there's been anything particularly cruel, except for the death of the frog (which I have not read up on). :huh: Ultimately, although it will never be enforced, he's not allowed to use the services of this website, without supervision. This is an issue. Within the past year, an unsupervised 12 year old cacher found one of my challenge caches for his very first find (which he obviously didn't qualify for), took it with him, and hid it completely intact, with my original logbook, 3 miles away in a different park as his own cache.

And I'd still like to know when that age language was added to the terms of service. Anyone?

This 2011 release note discussion talks about updating the TOU for the discussion forum..."To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian." The forum discussion indicates that at that time the TOU, with respect to using the site still said -

"By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning."

Now it reads, "If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement."

The first time I can find the reference to age in the TOU using the wayback machine is Aug 2 2011.

I think there was a law enacted regarding children using websites.

I noticed the photos of yourself in your profile...you appear to be under 18 years of age.

7th grader.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5A6H0_hca

When I first did the research on this kid (like we do) this cache in particular bothered me. He's a child, and posting where he goes to school, pictures of his and his sister's cute faces, a hidden location that he may be summoned to with a NM log. Creepy.

Where is a good place to hide a cache? NOT where children are: 1. there are creeps 2. kids find and destroy things.

I don't see bashing going on, more pointers to at least try to get it right and stop putting out caches until he does. Otherwise his local community will rapidly figure that whenever they see his name on a cache they can be sure it won't be there for more than a week and in the meantime it will have major coordinate updates so may or may not be where it's listed as being.

The First thing you are doing right is taking an interest in being a great hider! For me I like a cache that requires some looking around to find and then say well that was clever! Find a spot that YOU like and write the reasons and keep them. ALso read the logs of caches that have good compliments and see why they liked it. Find a place that other people are going to and love it. Ask people that are not Geocachers where they go and what they have seen. People often go to beautiful places just because they really are beautiful. They don't have to be beautiful but at least very interesting in some way!

Thank you so much for taking an interest in getting better at this game. Best not to hide one until you are really happy with your choice. Once you hide one - the game is ON and alot of folks will be having fun or bored to death! It is not a race - it is a piece of life!

Good luck to YOU!

26 Posts and only one actually answers the OP's question. So many negative posts. Swine Flew's post is the post in which you should pay attention.

Well, I ain't backing down from my "negativity", he's a child, and is in violation of using the website under it's terms of use. :) And he lied about not hiding any caches, and wanting tips on hiding his first. Not a big deal there, but he was definitely busted.

I won't speak for Swiney, but reading his post again, I would interpret as a warning to not hide caches in high muggle areas where they are likely to cause public alarm. Which middle school aged cache placers have a high tendency towards doing, in my experience.

26 Posts and only one actually answers the OP's question. So many negative posts. Swine Flew's post is the post in which you should pay attention.

Well, I ain't backing down from my "negativity", he's a child, and is in violation of using the website under it's terms of use. :) And he lied about not hiding any caches, and wanting tips on hiding his first. Not a big deal there, but he was definitely busted.

I won't speak for Swiney, but reading his post again, I would interpret as a warning to not hide caches in high muggle areas where they are likely to cause public alarm. Which middle school aged cache placers have a high tendency towards doing, in my experience.

Yes... they are known to do that. They tend to pick any open spot close to their castle.

A lot of time, they hide caches that been tested in the past. Around here, we got many little parks with no caches, but believe me, everyone of them used to have a cache there. They get muggled easy. Everytime there is a young newbie, they tend to try to hide a cache in everyone of those parks with no caches. <_<

Well, I ain't backing down from my "negativity", he's a child, and is in violation of using the website under it's terms of use. :)

Yes. It's also for his protection under I believe the COPPA Act (and probably the protection of Groundspeak as well). He shouldn't be using this website and discussion board without his parents' (or guardians') awareness and supervision. As adults should we be advising him to continue hiding caches and posting them on the site, i.e. ignore the TOU and the law?

This 2011 release note discussion talks about updating the TOU for the discussion forum..."To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian." The forum discussion indicates that at that time the TOU, with respect to using the site still said -

"By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning."

Now it reads, "If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement."

The first time I can find the reference to age in the TOU using the wayback machine is Aug 2 2011.

I think there was a law enacted regarding children using websites.

Forum owners often put that language in their TOU's because of COPPA - Children's Online Privacy Protection Act

http://www.coppa.org/#

Websites that are collecting information from children under the age of thirteen are required to comply with Federal Trade Commission ( FTC ) Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You don't really have "40" finds, and you have already hidden caches.

You need to learn from your previous cache hiding experiences.

Are your parents involved in geocaching? Do they have accounts with Groundspeak?

Perhaps they should be involved in this thread, for everyone's benefit.

B.

Maybe he's already learning and improving. His latest hide was found 3 times with no complaints about coords, location, etc. A veteran with 4, 700 finds said:

Quick one after work. Thanks for placing this one for me to find broseph12

Why do you assume his parents aren't involved??? I'm sure they discuss it at home, they help with e-commerce for containers, & they drive him to caches.

Maybe he's already learning and improving. His latest hide was found 3 times with no complaints about coords, location, etc. A veteran with 4, 700 finds said:

Why do you assume his parents aren't involved??? I'm sure they discuss it at home, they help with e-commerce for containers, & they drive him to caches.

If that were true, why didn't he say so? And why aren't they chiming in? Are they not supervising his activity on the site and forums?

Edited by L0ne.R

If that were true, why didn't he say so? And why aren't they chiming in? Are they not supervising his activity on the site and forums?

All speculation, but there could have been some mention of it around the dinner table, but no real "supervision". I'm going to guess the 12 yr. old who took my mini Jasmer Challenge cache with him (his first find) and hid it 3 miles away as his own cache didn't discuss Geocaching at the dinner table. :ph34r:

No, they are not. Just another unsupervised child placing geocaches in his neighborhood. :blink:

Yes... they are known to do that. They tend to pick any open spot close to their castle.

A lot of time, they hide caches that been tested in the past. Around here, we got many little parks with no caches, but believe me, everyone of them used to have a cache there. They get muggled easy. Everytime there is a young newbie, they tend to try to hide a cache in everyone of those parks with no caches. <_<

Hey, I do that, and I am neither new or young. I really like every park to have a cache. Much better than every parking lot.

Hello,

Yea, I've been noticing these negative posts and I do agree in some cases and some not, although, I wanna help you, as I am oily like 13, turning 14 soon, and I love geocaching and I know you sure do as well. :rolleyes: So, I've hidden eleven caches at the time of writing this post, and some, which are in the forest, are actually birdhouses, you can make these pretty simple by just getting some screws and some planks. If you don't know how to make one, I'd be sure there are some youtube-tutorials. :). I've also hidden some small 35mm film canister around my home, as I just love seeing people find them, you can get these and hide them at a close photography store where they have some left over, or buy them for pretty cheap at geocaching.com or any other international retailer. You can make these small containers magnetic simply by using some tape and a magnet (I usually use them neodymium magnets, which are a bit stronger than normal refrigerator magnets). Hope this helped you just a little bit on your way, :ph34r::lol::rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Sam

No, they are not. Just another unsupervised child placing geocaches in his neighborhood. :blink:

The latest of which got three okay reviews, including one from a finder with 4,700 finds.... My point is, yes, he was off to a rough start, but maybe he's improving.

The latest of which got three okay reviews, including one from a finder with 4,700 finds.... My point is, yes, he was off to a rough start, but maybe he's improving.

Of course people with 4,700 finds will generally run out and find anything anyone puts anywhere and calls a cache, and thank them for it with no complaints. OK, even I think I'm being a little too negative here now. Despite the accuracy of that observation. :ph34r:

Of course people with 4,700 finds will generally run out and find anything anyone puts anywhere and calls a cache, and thank them for it with no complaints. OK, even I think I'm being a little too negative here now. Despite the accuracy of that observation. :ph34r:

Okay, being that way, huh?! <_<

The other two finders had far fewer finds, so they are true connoisseurs, & they also had nothing negative to say. So admit the kid isn't botching everything he does! :)

FYI. I have 108 finds ( an ultra-connoisseur. ..and busy), & a guy in Phila. passed 50, 000 a few months ago (generally does 30-50/day most days, usually driving around with other cachers).

Edited by wmpastor

The best advice I can give on this subject, once you have a general idea of the locale you'd like to hide in, is search the place like there's already a cache hidden there. This will reveal places to hide.

Really gets me when people hide something in a fake rock or such when there's an abundance of natural cover nearby.

Okay, being that way, huh?! <_<

The other two finders had far fewer finds, so they are true connoisseurs, & they also had nothing negative to say. So admit the kid isn't botching everything he does! :)

FYI. I have 108 finds ( an ultra-connoisseur. ..and busy), & a guy in Phila. passed 50, 000 a few months ago (generally does 30-50/day most days, usually driving around with other cachers).

Oh, just messing with ya'. :) I have 2,700 some myself, but that's almost 11 years, and with being "selective". And I've long since found out "selective" people like me are like a .05% minority. Happy finders with good coordinates is definitely a sign of improvement. Even if it is just in an open field near a housing development.

Hello,

Yea, I've been noticing these negative posts and I do agree in some cases and some not, although, I wanna help you, as I am oily like 13, turning 14 soon, and I love geocaching and I know you sure do as well. :rolleyes: So, I've hidden eleven caches at the time of writing this post, and some, which are in the forest, are actually birdhouses, you can make these pretty simple by just getting some screws and some planks. If you don't know how to make one, I'd be sure there are some youtube-tutorials. :). I've also hidden some small 35mm film canister around my home, as I just love seeing people find them, you can get these and hide them at a close photography store where they have some left over, or buy them for pretty cheap at geocaching.com or any other international retailer. You can make these small containers magnetic simply by using some tape and a magnet (I usually use them neodymium magnets, which are a bit stronger than normal refrigerator magnets). Hope this helped you just a little bit on your way, :ph34r::lol::rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Sam

Nice post, thanks. Although you too are admitting using the website in violation of the terms of use. Maybe, that is, you didn't mention parental supervision or not. However, if you read along carefully, the original poster has in reality hid MORE caches than you. He was caught in a little fib. :ph34r:

thank you to the people who did not leave a negative comment

I looked over a few of your cache listings and you seem to be off to a good start. Most are going well with good comments by finders. A couple of problems like bad placement and bad coords can happen to anyone, and you seem to have resolved those few minor problems. Good luck.