Cachemobile

What is your cache chasing mode of transportation??

For me, it is my 2009 Ford Escape. Gets good mileage on a tank of gas... and still purrs like the day I bought it.

I would like a four-wheel drive one someday, but I will be patient on that idea for some time to come.

I will gladly post pictures if others will too.

My 2009 Saturn Aura XR, my trusty Schwinn (complete with fenders, rack, and pretty basket in front - it is a sweet ride!), and, of course, my feet! For my feet, I either wear my Reeboks, or Merrell hiking shoes. Cache a lot in the mountains the past few years so mainly my hiking shoes.

What is your cache chasing mode of transportation??

For me, it is my 2009 Ford Escape.

Had an '03 Escape, like you said easy on gas and a decent ride. The only problem was it wasn't true 4wd and that is what I needed.

Now I have an '11 Xterra (TB3ZNHC)... yep gets me to those caches that the Escape just looked at.

Edited by ngrrfan

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty. I just got brand new tires on it after an incident involving an old quarry road and geocaching. They really all needed to be replaced anyway. Fuel economy is not great at about 16 mpg but it does drive down old quarry roads.

I also have a beautiful indigo Schwinn Jaguar Retro-cruiser. It is a sweet ride, though I covet something with fenders and basket.

I have my feet, I attempted a geocache once in flip-flops in the rain. This was an all-around bad idea. I rarely wear flip-flops. I have some well loved felt bottom rocket dogs that are nice when it isn't freezing out because I can feel the ground. Today I wore a pair of K-mart buy-one-get-one-half-off shoes. My winter boots are Columbia.

For 5 years, we drove a Jeep Patriot with standard transmission that gets 27-29 mpg (not 4WD). We just finished our third summer road trip in a 2010 Toyota Tundra that gets 19-20 mpg. We put a camper shell on the back and sleep in it . . . no more setting up a tent every night. :) At times, we just pull off a national forest road and sleep, no campground needed. We just returned from a 45-day, 8,500 mile road trip in it. It doesn't have 4WD, but we managed to get up some pretty gnarly, rocky national forest roads this trip, including 25 miles in Carson NF (where it got so dirty we were able to write #16,000 on the back window when we reached that milestone), miles of gravel road to get to the Nevada Star, and Capitan Gap road to find "Smokey's Home" in Lincoln NF. We really like to travel without pulling a trailer or driving any kind of vehicle that limits where we can go. If we had 4WD, we would probable get ourselves into trouble. :o

Edited by zoothornrollo

Around our home territory, we use a 2011 Chevy Impala. The "good" news is that we don't really like the vehicle all that much, so we don't feel we have to baby it.

If we're camping, we've got the F250 we use to tow our 5th-wheel. Even though Mr. Car54 rarely visits the forums, I won't mention the F250's mileage because it is so bad it stresses him out. :ph34r: It's got an off-road package on it, but not off-road tires. We did take it on one cache in a nearby state forest where we forded a creek (after checking the depth first) and did some serious "muddin'", I think it's called. Quite an adventure for desk jockies like us. :laughing:

We're thinking of an AWD Subaru once the Impala is paid off.

Mrs. Car54

My 2009 Saturn Aura XR, my trusty Schwinn (complete with fenders, rack, and pretty basket in front - it is a sweet ride!), and, of course, my feet! For my feet, I either wear my Reeboks, or Merrell hiking shoes. Cache a lot in the mountains the past few years so mainly my hiking shoes.

I love my Merrell's. Best hikers I've ever owned.

Subaru Forester 2 litre diesel. 38mpg. Comfortable and surefooted in almost any road situation. It's Mrs C's car so its not allowed on rough roads which would normally be the domain of the bigger, high clearance 4WDs.

We have a 2011 Forester (not diesel) that we really like. The more I 'play' with it the better I'm getting and the more fun I'm having.

I have a Trek DS 8.3 for those times the track is too narrow for the Forester.

And, of course, my feet, shod in Teva's, trail running shoes, boots or climbing shoes, depending on destination.

'57 Thunderbird. I've wanted one all my life... 55 years or so since I was old enough to notice cars. Bought it today, will take two weeks for the customizer to move the drivers seat back 6" so I can fit in the thing, then this will be my cachin' ride.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chqecnnm80uwphj/tbird.jpg?dl=0

tbird.jpg?dl=0

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Right now, it's one of these. I hate that it's gas-guzzling, but Mr Incredible insisted on it for safety. According to Chinese psychics, this is my 'year', so we need to be extra careful. :rolleyes:

2008_dodge_grand_caravan_sxt-pic-1901301877106014058.jpeg

My Honda Civic is currently sitting in the driveway without insurance. :cry:

I never would have guessed that Mrs. Incredible drove a mini-van

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

My current cache mobile is a 2005 Toyota Highlander. The AWD gets me around on most seasonal roads in the area. In winter those seasonal roads are not maintained so even a 4WD vehicle is going to have trouble when they're covered in snow and ice. Since most of my geocaching is done while traveling, like Frinklabs, I often use one of these:

BLT-Westport1.jpg

or one of these

P1-BQ403_CATDOO_G_20140611192943.jpg

In a few weeks I might be doing some geocaching using one of these

Matatu-Transport-Kenya.jpg

Or possibly one of these

875952-Tuk-Tuk-0.jpg

This is my dream cache mobile

Wienermobile.jpg

Honda CR-V with a bike rack on the back. Recently added bars to the top and can shuttle the new kayak around. Plenty of room for TOTTs in the back. (Telescoping ladder, pole, boots, box with smaller gear, etc.) Gets up to 25 mpg. When I'm certain I'll only be on paved roads and won't need storage space, we drive our Civic.

I run to a lot of caches, so I tend to be outfitted with my Brooks running shoes. But I did buy some Merrell hiking shoes late last year. I love them for the waterproofing. But my particular model has no insulation (which was rough when I was in KS, maybe not so much here in WA). Also, the shoelaces come undone all the time. Doesn't matter if you double or triple knot them. Despite that, I got a pair for the Mrs., and her laces come undone all the time, too. Very annoying.

Honda CR-V with a bike rack on the back. Recently added bars to the top and can shuttle the new kayak around. Plenty of room for TOTTs in the back. (Telescoping ladder, pole, boots, box with smaller gear, etc.) Gets up to 25 mpg. When I'm certain I'll only be on paved roads and won't need storage space, we drive our Civic.

Having a roof rack to carry my kayak(s) is almost a pre-requisite for me for a vehicle.

I just realized why your handle looked familiar. I think we may have exchanged email a long time ago when Woodland Clan first moved from my area to KC.

Having a roof rack to carry my kayak(s) is almost a pre-requisite for me for a vehicle.

I just realized why your handle looked familiar. I think we may have exchanged email a long time ago when Woodland Clan first moved from my area to KC.

Probably familiar from another "Jayhawk" handle. Woodland Clan definitely predates me. He was kicking butt in KC well before I joined the party!

'57 Thunderbird. I've wanted one all my life... 55 years or so since I was old enough to notice cars. Bought it today, will take two weeks for the customizer to move the drivers seat back 6" so I can fit in the thing, then this will be my cachin' ride.

tbird.jpg?dl=0

Oh, that is SWEET! Don't take it off-road, though.

Here's my dream cachemobile:

Plane-Mate.jpg

Edited by beauxeault

tbird.jpg?dl=0

Oh, that is SWEET! Don't take it off-road, though.

Here's my dream cachemobile:

Plane-Mate.jpg

You must have a lot of tree climbing caches in your area. For those boat accessible only caches I want to get one of these:

terrawind_water640.jpg