International Space Station Sightings Category

I'm interested. I live in Mission Viejo, CA near Los Angeles.

I missed viewing the flyover tonight because of fog. Looks like there will be a few more flyovers in the next few days. Tomorrow night may be good for my area around 9:10 - 9:14, three minutes later it will be passing over

Mission Viejo. Let's give it a try. :) I need to read up and make sure that I understand the logging requirements.

Sounds very interesting. I'm searching the forums now for "international space station" but there's a lot of unrelated topics that pop up. Since I'm new, I am guessing there's a trackable or such on the ISS, we can "discover" by watching it pass overhead?

I'm very curious about the details of what you were speaking to, here. Thanks in advance for any info! :)

Good luck! I've read the requirements on that one a couple of times. I still shrugged my shoulders and decided it wasn't for me. 'Twould be nice if someone could restate what is required so that we could understand it. Then I'd be tempted to try.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this one too. My daughter was the one that made me aware of the ISS flyover a couple of weeks ago, and we viewed the flyover for about 4 min's. According to the guidelines, the flyover needs to be at 45° or more, looks like the next flyover near me that would meet cretira would be Wensday Aug 20, 9:58 PM viewable for 2 min's at 52° at 23° above NNW/52° above NNE.

I have two nearby waymarks that I can use as site 1. Yes, it looks complacated. I see that it has been done by a user about 10 miles from my location. Another thing that looks discouraging is it is another inacte category with maybe one active member. :( I hate to put much effort in the unknown, but that is how Waymarking has been to me in the past. Maybe posting here in the forums will get the attention of someone that can offer advise? :unsure: :unsure:

Wow, we are avid watchers of the ISS and other flyovers. We live in Whittier, CA. I just asked the husband and he said he would be happy to track it. That way we can all work together on this. We would love to help out. As soon as it gets to where we can "discover" it or with in a week we will be in contact.

Paige

Wow, we are avid watchers of the ISS and other flyovers. We live in Whittier, CA. I just asked the husband and he said he would be happy to track it. That way we can all work together on this. We would love to help out. As soon as it gets to where we can "discover" it or with in a week we will be in contact.

Paige

That sounds great, we got to view it again last night from near Gate City, Virginia.

Almost a year has passed, still no interests in this category out there?

We get to view another fly-over tonight, weather permitting.

Yeah - you've piqued my interest. We're always on the hunt for a new category.

I suspect, though, that we're waaaay too far apart for this to work for us. We're in south central BC, just 7 kliks north of the 49th.

Checked some flyovers and there's one on Sep. 15 that reaches 74° at 04:50 for us, but only 12° for you at 03:44.

Another on Sep. 14 reaches 79° for us at 5:44, but only 18° for you, at 4:36.

I suspect that one of these times (either yours or ours) are off by an hour because I missed changing to daylight time for one of them. That said, we can't view the ISS within the required within 1 minute of each other, at least for these passes.

Have to figure out yet how to view the ground track as opposed to the star track - that night help. EDIT - No problem - just saw the ground track button.

Gonna go check some more flyovers, but I'm not holding my breath.

BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters

Where is the ground track button?

It's above the top right corner of the star track view one gets when clicking on the date of the pass from the main page. It looks like this:

Home | Ground track | Info. | Orbit | Close encounters

Also, I read it the opposite of what you do:

"Participants need to be at least one minute of ISS travel time (293 miles or 472 km) apart".

In other words, the participants need to view the ISS within 1 minute of each other but MUST BE at least 293 miles or 472 km APART.

BK-Hunters

Edited by BK-Hunters

I don't have a main page with the date of the pass, and the dates I do get aren't clickable:

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Canada&region=Ontario&city=Bowmanville

Or are you using a different site? I tried the one in the waymark description but got a 404 not found error.

EDIT TO ADD: So they need to be over 1 minute apart, but the sightings have to be within one minute? :blink:

Edited by TriciaG

I don't have a main page with the date of the pass, and the dates I do get aren't clickable:

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Canada&region=Ontario&city=Bowmanville

Or are you using a different site? I tried the one in the waymark description but got a 404 not found error.

The main page I'm referring to is not: THIS, but the next page one arrives at by clicking "ISS" under Satellites on the link above. But - - - before doing that, "Change your observing location" (under "Configuration") on the first page, so the ground track information you will eventually see applies to you, and not the default location. Then after setting your observing location, then clicking on "ISS", the next page will have a table of passes of the ISS over your location. It's the dates in the left column of the table that I was referring to. Hint - the little left/right arrows above the table move you back/forward one week at a time.

So they need to be over 1 minute apart, but the sightings have to be within one minute?

Exactly - for two observers one minute apart, the ISS will be easily observable by both for the minute it takes to travel from one to the other. That's not to say that observers further apart can't accomplish the task. Once you absorb the information on the ground track page, it should become clear. For example, we're in BC and the furthest east someone we could partner with would probably be near Winnipeg, given an ideal track and near perfect observing conditions.

Happy Satellite spotting

Either I'm blind or an idiot, or something else. I don't see the links you mention.

The main page I'm referring to is not: THIS, but the next page one arrives at by clicking "ISS" under Satellites on the link above. But - - - before doing that, "Change your observing location" (under "Configuration") on the first page, so the ground track information you will eventually see applies to you, and not the default location. Then after setting your observing location, then clicking on "ISS", the next page will have a table of passes of the ISS over your location. It's the dates in the left column of the table that I was referring to. Hint - the little left/right arrows above the table move you back/forward one week at a time.

Here: http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/home.cfm which is the first page, there is no "configuration" or "Change your observing location." There's a "location lookup."

th_screenshot1_homepage_zpswcdj6nlo.jpg

And on the page on the link above, there is no "'ISS' under Satellites" - there is no "Satellites" link:

th_screenshot2_locationpage_zps0afbp8ok.jpg

So they need to be over 1 minute apart, but the sightings have to be within one minute?

Exactly - for two observers one minute apart, the ISS will be easily observable by both for the minute it takes to travel from one to the other. That's not to say that observers further apart can't accomplish the task. Once you absorb the information on the ground track page, it should become clear. For example, we're in BC and the furthest east someone we could partner with would probably be near Winnipeg, given an ideal track and near perfect observing conditions.

Ah - got it. That makes sense. :) Thanks!

Either I'm blind or an idiot, or something else. I don't see the links you mention.

You can register with Heavens Above for more functionality.

On this page: http://heavens-above.com/ the link to change your observing location is under "Configuration". Click the link "change your observing location" and you go to the next page where you can change the location.

ISS - Visible Passes

http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=UCT

But if you register with the site, you can add a bunch of different locations. We've got our home set as well as various camping locations, etc.

B.

Ah. I had tried the heavens-above URL yesterday, but it gave me an error, so I thought the site was defunct. It's working for me today.

Thanks, Pup!

Glad to help.

Heavens Above is a great site. There's more than just ISS sightings, and we always check before heading out camping. It is a big help for figuring out what we have seen, after getting home, too. Always keep notes on dates, times and direction of the sighting. Satellites, rocket bodies, iridium flares....

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Ah. I had tried the heavens-above URL yesterday, but it gave me an error, so I thought the site was defunct. It's working for me today.

Thanks, Pup!

Glad to help.

Heavens Above is a great site. There's more than just ISS sightings, and we always check before heading out camping. It is a big help for figuring out what we have seen, after getting home, too. Always keep notes on dates, times and direction of the sighting. Satellites, rocket bodies, iridium flares....

B.

It's really cool if you have a night vision device to view really faint objects pass over. :anibad: I keep a close eye on that North Korean satellite. :ph34r:

We live out in the country with very little light pollution. When we sit back at our pond, we are at least 1/2 mile away from any neighbors in any direction. We love to watch meteors and satellites zipping or wandering by. Even better on a cool evening when we have low bonfire, so as not to mess up our night vision. And listen to the coyotes screeching in the distance. (The nearest town, which is very tiny, is about 4 miles away, and the nearest big town is over 20 miles away. The nearest big cities are about 1.5 hours away.)

I may have seen the ISS, but I haven't bothered to track where it is. I have an Android app that shows me what's in the sky, simply by pointing the phone in that direction. But I don't think it has the ISS on it.

Tonight looks like a good night to view the ISS from my area, any other Waymarkers interested in this category?

Is Ottawa, Canada, on the flight path? We have rain forecast this evening but YOU could still get credit...I think.

The ISS has to be at least 45° for both player. I'm at 65° tonight and Ottawa is at 30°. We are about three min's apart but the degrees won't work for us.

Tonight looks like a good night to view the ISS from my area, any other Waymarkers interested in this category?

Is Ottawa, Canada, on the flight path? We have rain forecast this evening but YOU could still get credit...I think.

The ISS has to be at least 45° for both player. I'm at 65° tonight and Ottawa is at 30°. We are about three min's apart but the degrees won't work for us.

I'm in Boston, which may be close enough.

Tonight (3/31) I can see the ISS. Heavens-above.com says it will peak at 44 degrees at 20:08 ( is that 8:08 pm EST?) , but it is going to be SE of me, and really SE of Ottawa - besides, I think you will be socked in with storm clouds.

The next opportunity is April 1 at 20:52 (44 degrees, NNW) and April 2 at 19:59 (77 degrees, NW). However, we are expecting rain and/or snow (now it comes!) over the next three days, so observing conditions are iffy. Nothing else good. I'll try to look out over these days to see if I can glimpse it.

I'm in Boston, which may be close enough.

Tonight (3/31) I can see the ISS. Heavens-above.com says it will peak at 44 degrees at 20:08 ( is that 8:08 pm EST?) , but it is going to be SE of me, and really SE of Ottawa - besides, I think you will be socked in with storm clouds.

The next opportunity is April 1 at 20:52 (44 degrees, NNW) and April 2 at 19:59 (77 degrees, NW). However, we are expecting rain and/or snow (now it comes!) over the next three days, so observing conditions are iffy. Nothing else good. I'll try to look out over these days to see if I can glimpse it.

Update:

On April 13 (Wed.), at 20:47:09 (again, standard time?) it will be 69 degrees at zenith in the NNE, going roughly west to east.

On April 16 (Sat.), at 20:38:24 it will be 50 degrees at zenith in the SW, going roughly N-S. Weather should be mostly clear.

Anybody available?

Ottawa, Canada, is just far enough from you to qualify but my pass on Wed the 13th is later, 21:36. My pass on Sat the 16th is same time 20:37 but at only 42 degrees. These are such tough requirements. If you can find a partner for Saturday, I should try for a waymark visit rather than post.

I've been trying to find interested Waymarkers to do a sighting, also. I'm near Oklahoma City, OK. Need people toward Chicago area, New Orleans, Del Rio TX, or Denver.

Now, I have a question. It says that players must be at least 1 minute apart, and see the ISS on the same pass. So I take it that if Del Rio waymarker sees the ISS, then I see it (about 1.25 minutes later), then someone 20 miles NE of me in Oklahoma City sees it, then another in Edmond OK, then Tulsa, then Springfield Mo, then ... We all get to log the "community sighting" as we are all more than 1 minute of flying time from Del Rio.