Can I place a Log/Cache inside a business?

74vwBus

Hello from central PA! I would like to have a cache final stage end at a local car dealership. My idea is to have the cacher go into the business and give a password. Then they are given the log to sign.

Is that against the rules of "advertising"? Or can I do this? And if so, what steps do I need to take to assure it's legit?

Thanks for any and all info.

Are you saying it's possible if they do not have to interact with employees?

Did you read the Guidelines?

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Commercial geocaches are disallowed.

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

1. It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.

2. It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

3. It contains links to businesses, agencies, commercial advertisers, charities, or political or social agendas.

4. It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.

5. It contains the name of a business or commercial product.

Why would you want to bring geocachers to a car dealership any way?

B.

There's a geocache locally that involves going inside a library and finding a certain 'book' that opens up and has the log inside. You have to utilize your library searching skills to find it. I don't know if this style is still valid or not (its older and grandfathered in).

Edited by Lieblweb
There's a geocache locally that involves going inside a library and finding a certain 'book' that opens up and has the log inside. You have to utilize your library searching skills to find it. I don't know if this style is still valid or not (its older and grandfathered in).
As long as the CO incorporates the use of accurate GPS coordinates somehow, this is still perfectly fine. Public libraries don't trigger the prohibition against commercial caches, and there is no requirement that accurate GPS coordinates be used for the final container location.

The guideline reads as mentioned

2. It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

You can interact without purchasing anything. We done some where we went in and searched without talking to anyone and ones with help without purchasing anything.

The guideline reads as mentioned

You can interact without purchasing anything. We done some where we went in and searched without talking to anyone and ones with help without purchasing anything.

Yeah, but the "go inside a business" part of that rule could still get you there.