Category search imperfect

Rikitan

Hello .. maybe just FYI .. in case you´ll fail to find a category using a search function (categories - find a category - search) - it does not necessarily mean, that such category does not exist.

Example is - Artistic Bus Shelters - link

Maybe it´s only my experience, but when I search for keywords "Artistic", "Bus", "Shelters" and their combinations, this category is never shown in results.

I have no category on ignore list, so I don´t really understand why it is excluded from all these search results.

It's not just newer categories.

At least three old categories do not display at all in either My Categories or the Full Category list: Windmills, Town Clocks and all subcategories of Museums.

I have several postings in all three; in attempting to post new waymarks the only way I could find the categories was to start from My Waymarks and scroll through page after page.

Once I get to the category by this workaround method, I can post in it.

Edited by Vermontish

It isn't limited to categories, either. Not a single one of the Waymarks I've created since I started Waymarking in earnest last summer are searchable. Three Waymarks I created in 2011 will show up in a search, but none of my other Waymarks will. I suspect the search indexing broke for Waymarks at the same time it did for categories. It's harder to test these, but I have to assume the Group and Scavenger Hunt searches are also broken.

I checked the Waymark search with my own Waymarks. The problem started between 2/25/2012 and 3/1/2012. All Waymarks older than 2/25/2012 show up, Waymarks approved after the 3/1/2012 give no search result. Perhaps someone could check the days between the 2/25 and 3/1 that we can determine the exact day the problem started.