couch logging for August souvenirs

I noticed a local guy (a noob too), who I'm pretty sure couch logged every cache type on August 1st, presumably so he'd receive all 7 souvenirs. Sure, I can't proooooove it....but he logged an attended log for an event that hadn't happened yet. He logged a quick generic log on a multi-stage 5/5 cache that requires a boat and a long hike,he logged an Unknown cache that's currently flooded, and logged an earthcache without a photo and no answers were emailed to the earth cache owner according to my email to the owner.

I noticed that two of the cache owners deleted the finds. But I also noticed that his souvenirs are still on his profile. Will those be removed after they are rewarded but the finds are deleted?

Now before someone says, "What do you care, if you don't like it...don't look at his souvenir page"....I'd like to point out that I don't care. This guy is the one who missed out on the adventures of actually finding caches. I'm just wondering if the souvenirs go away automatically if the finds are deleted.

Edited by umop-apisdn

I'm just wondering if the souvenirs go away automatically if the finds are deleted.

No, unless things have changed recently the only way a souvenir goes away is if someone at Groundspeak deletes it. It's been used in the past as a way to get souvenirs, log a find and then once the souvenir is awarded delete the find, you've got the souvenir and there's no remaining trace of the bogus log. You can't actually delete your own souvenirs, you can only "hide" them.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I seriously doubt anyone at Groundspeak is going to delete his souvenirs. That is the only way a souvenir goes away, unless one deletes it themselves.

This just came up the other day (sort of). They have locked the accounts of many a bogus logger, and there's even a few examples (although I admit in extreme cases), of them wiping out the finds of a bogus logger. I guess what I'm saying is never say never. :lol:

Chances are the souvenir will stay.

I once "earned" a souvenir because I logged a Find when I meant to log a Note. I changed the log type but the souvenir didn't automatically disappear.

When it's so easy to get the souvenirs by cheating I wonder why Groundspeak doesn't do something a little more interesting than awarding profile pictures for finding a traditional cache in August.

I understand the cheating. I don't understand the stupidity of the cheaters. If you're just trying to get a souvenir, why log a find on a 5/5 cache? Just pick some nondescript 1.5/1.5 cache that no one would notice a false find on and log that.

Efficiency of course! That couple of clicks got them a souvenir AND a 5/5 for their grid... Otherwise they'd have to false log 2 caches and that's, like, double the effort!

I seriously doubt anyone at Groundspeak is going to delete his souvenirs. That is the only way a souvenir goes away, unless one deletes it themselves.

This just came up the other day (sort of). They have locked the accounts of many a bogus logger, and there's even a few examples (although I admit in extreme cases), of them wiping out the finds of a bogus logger. I guess what I'm saying is never say never. :lol:

Oh, I agree that Groundspeak will get involved if someone is so bloody obvious in their crazy rampant haphazard logging that they are so obvious they have logged caches all over the world the same day, old ones, tough ones, puzzles, etc. However, someone logging a cache here and there to get a souvenir? Time will tell, but I cant imagine much enthusiasm to rid folks of getting an extra souvenir or ten.

It's possible he was just curious what the souvenirs would look like on his profile, especially the 7th one. Perhaps he was planning to complete the requirements later.

When I met my current wife I was curious how she looked naked but still I took her out for dinner and to the beach to watch a sunset before I got the sneak peak.

Pay your dues!

It's possible he was just curious what the souvenirs would look like on his profile, especially the 7th one. Perhaps he was planning to complete the requirements later.

When I met my current wife I was curious how she looked naked but still I took her out for dinner and to the beach to watch a sunset before I got the sneak peak.

Pay your dues!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Want to be even more sneaky. Log your archived caches. Wait a day and delete them. You get souvenoir and leave no evidence.

They don't need to be archived. :ph34r:

If they're archived there's less chance that anyone will be watching them and get notification of your log.

Not necessarily. The best thing is just to check how many people are watching your cache. Some archived caches have lots of people watching them.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Want to be even more sneaky. Log your archived caches. Wait a day and delete them. You get souvenoir and leave no evidence.

If they're archived there's less chance that anyone will be watching them and get notification of your log.

Not necessarily. The best thing is just to check how many people are watching your cache. Some archived caches have lots of people watching them.

I know it's "not necessarily" but I still say there's less chance. Anyway looking at how many people have the cache on their watchlist is useless; most of the caches I get log notifications on are on Bookmark lists not my "Watchlist: and those don't show up in the total "watchers."

I know it's "not necessarily" but I still say there's less chance. Anyway looking at how many people have the cache on their watchlist is useless; most of the caches I get log notifications on are on Bookmark lists not my "Watchlist: and those don't show up in the total "watchers."

Yes...I actually created a list called "Stealthy Watchlist" so I won't show up on the watchlist counts but will still get notifications of new logs.

Easier to log a find on something in a busy urban area and write a comment that says something like "tried to find this one but too many muggles so gave up". Then go back and change your Find to a DNF. Chances are you'll keep the souvenir, and if anyone is watching the cache they'll see it change and probably assume it was a genuine error.

Now before someone says, "What do you care, if you don't like it...don't look at his souvenir page"....I'd like to point out that I don't care. This guy is the one who missed out on the adventures of actually finding caches. I'm just wondering if the souvenirs go away automatically if the finds are deleted.

You obviously do care, enough to not only investigate it, but post a topic about it.

These forums are hilarious, I read through them on a regular basis, and still can't figure out why anyone cares how others play a game that there's no winner to...

Congrats! You've got more _____ than anyone else and it means... nothing!

Efficiency of course! That couple of clicks got them a souvenir AND a 5/5 for their grid... Otherwise they'd have to false log 2 caches and that's, like, double the effort!

it's easy enough to get a 5/5 on your grid though. someone will post a challenge cache that requires getting all 7 souvenirs of august.

it's easy enough to get a 5/5 on your grid though. someone will post a challenge cache that requires getting all 7 souvenirs of august.

Can't happen. Cachers starting after 30 Aug 2014 could never complete it, therefore it won't get published.

Can't happen. Cachers starting after 30 Aug 2014 could never complete it, therefore it won't get published.

They could if they got all the caches on the 31st... :P

I noticed a local guy (a noob too), who I'm pretty sure couch logged every cache type on August 1st, presumably so he'd receive all 7 souvenirs. Sure, I can't proooooove it....but he logged an attended log for an event that hadn't happened yet. He logged a quick generic log on a multi-stage 5/5 cache that requires a boat and a long hike,he logged an Unknown cache that's currently flooded, and logged an earthcache without a photo and no answers were emailed to the earth cache owner according to my email to the owner.

I noticed that two of the cache owners deleted the finds. But I also noticed that his souvenirs are still on his profile. Will those be removed after they are rewarded but the finds are deleted?

Yup, sounds pretty weak.

Next.