Distance between waypoints in a multicache?

ken_ohio

I was planning out a multicache. I have some waypoints calculated. I use the waypoint averaging on my etrex 20 to get good readings. I also plan to test the route a couple of times. But, that's for later when I get a definite route planned out with some puzzles.

One thing I was wondering about is how far apart I can make the waypoints. I was thinking of placing the first waypoints in a small town to gather some information and numbers. A person could easily walk to all of these waypoints. I then want to continue the route in a park nearby that is 2 miles away. It is a 5 minute drive or a safe, enjoyable bike ride down the road.

I couldn't find any guidelines for acceptable distances between waypoints in the web pages for setting up an acceptable multicache.

Can someone direct me to the guidelines, if there are some?

Thanks.

Edited by ken.hikes

I was planning out a multicache. I have some waypoints calculated. I use the waypoint averaging on my etrex 20 to get good readings. I also plan to test the route a couple of times. But, that's for later when I get a definite route planned out with some puzzles.

One thing I was wondering about is how far apart I can make the waypoints. I was thinking of placing the first waypoints in a small town to gather some information and numbers. A person could easily walk to all of these waypoints. I then want to continue the route in a park nearby that is 2 miles away. It is a 5 minute drive or a safe, enjoyable bike ride down the road.

I couldn't find any guidelines for acceptable distances between waypoints in the web pages for setting up an acceptable multicache.

Thanks.

No maximum distance, but there comes a point where it's 'Nice' to warn cachers of the distance involved, to be able complete the cache! :)

Thanks.

Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Help Center:

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

1.12. Saturation Guideline: Hidden, Virtual and Additional Waypoints

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=232

A multi-cache can have stages 100 feet apart, or 100 miles apart. The distance between stages of a single geocache is limited only by the owner's ability to maintain those stages.

B.

As others have said, there is no maximum distance, although at some point, you won't be able to maintain the distant stages of the multi-cache. But even that depends on the individual cache owner; there is no hard-and-fast rule.

As an example, here's a multi-cache that requires at least 55 miles of driving to complete: GC1HQ1W.

Thank you for all the replies.

I am not trying to make an incredibly difficult route. The distance may make it a little bit challenging. (Not nearly as challenging as 55 miles!) But, I think this one will be very enjoyable because of the places I want to take people.

Thanks for the links to the guidelines, Pup Patrol. I think there was one that I missed when I went through the website.

Thanks, again.

k

Edited by ken.hikes