Geocacher's Names That I Can't Pronounce

Cat64

I come across all kinds of names I can't pronounce. Geocaching or otherwise. Can't say as it bothers me much. If I'm talking to them, I ask. If I'm reading the name, I just guess. If it looks like an actual word I might even try looking it up. :unsure::)

I guess they do that a lot with yours?

Does anyone besides me ever come across geonicks or cacher's names that you don't know how to pronounce? It drives me crazy.

Is this troll bait?

Less than 24 hours is pretty tough to find really that many to drive you "crazy".

+1

I thought socks weren't allowed...

It actually could be an okay topic - so why the apparent hidden identity?

Huh, Roman!? :lol:

Edited by wmpastor

Does anyone besides me ever come across geonicks or cacher's names that you don't know how to pronounce? It drives me crazy.

Is this troll bait?

Less than 24 hours is pretty tough to find really that many to drive you "crazy".

+1

I thought socks weren't allowed...

Wrong specifics and wrong threads.

Right now in the OT "Spanking" thread there's a discussion of shoes not being allowed in homes, and in Geo Topics there's a discussion of caches inside naturist clubs (no socks or anything else permitted).

On these forums, almost all the time, I guess. It is difficult to know how one wants to pronounce their name. But Finnish cachers in Finland with Finnish usernames are easy, we pronounce as we spell.

I used the handle Belgiter on some English-speaking forum. It was derived from a dog breed Belgian Tervueren. On a livestream I was called 'beldz' and then I realised I had never thought my username said aloud.

We always thought that Ma & Pa would be easy. We are bilingual and live in a bilingual area of Canada and never thought of how it would sound in french.

So everyone around here, French or English pronounces it Maw and Paw.

At the Mega event in Quebec we won a prize and when they called out our name, it took a second to realize that they had called our name. In French the 'a' has the sound of the 'a' in mad. Also they would not say 'and' but would say 'et' which is pronounce like the canadian eh.

PAul

Edited by Ma & Pa

On every single forum or reading-based-thing which I have ever interacted I have always made up a new way to pronounce "usernames" so that it makes sense in my own brain. I was somewhat satisfied to learn that I pronounced niraD correctly, but that is not always the case. Sometimes I say letters that don't even exist or mix it all up so that my mouth can say it a way I want it to be said.

My husband introduced me to the Wheel of Time books. There is a character named Siuan in the books. He calls her "Swan" (like the bird) when we talk about her. I don't have a different way to say this name. It doesn't look like swan is right, but there is nothing to say it is wrong. We understand one another when we say "Swan" to talk about this character.

I find geocaching to be very similar. I probably "say" a lot of the names wrong, but it really doesn't matter. If I meet them I will ask but then I am more likely to call them "Ann" than 4cheet0hcarrier when speaking to them so it still doesn't really matter.

Why does that drive you crazy?

It doesn't drive him crazy - it mildly irritates him (he's extra-sensitive to unpronounceable names). However, people like to dramatize things in the forums so that everything is scintillating.

Case in point: the thread about the "100 killer bees" in the LPC. Actually it was only 3 or 4 regular bees - but that seems boring. TV is to blame - it portrays life as being made up of a non-stop sequence of thrilling events.

It doesn't drive him crazy - it mildly irritates him (he's extra-sensitive to unpronounceable names). However, people like to dramatize things in the forums so that everything is scintillating.

Case in point: the thread about the "100 killer bees" in the LPC. Actually it was only 3 or 4 regular bees - but that seems boring. TV is to blame - it portrays life as being made up of a non-stop sequence of thrilling events.

Wow.

Wow.

1000-to-1 it's correct. There were many others who doubted there were "100 killer bees" in the LPC. (It might have seemed like 100.) Read the posts. Unusual caching names? Good topic. But names that "drive me crazy"??? The future offers 2 choices: (1) chillax (see latest Scrabble dictionary) or (2) heart attack ( see paramedic).

"Figuring out how to pronounce an odd geocaching nickname" is a fun discussion subject. Let's get back to that, instead of questioning the motives of the person who came here to strike up a conversation with fellow geocachers. I'd like for people to feel welcome and keep coming back to participate in discussions such as this one. Thanks.

There's a cacher in my area named "GOcrazy" and I always thought it was just "go crazy" as in..... They were insisting that somebody should go crazy.

Silly me, never realized it was actually G (gee) O (oh) crazy, as in..... crazy for geo(caching) until I met them. Doh!

GEOcrazy might have been better for them.

"Figuring out how to pronounce an odd geocaching nickname" is a fun discussion subject. Let's get back to that, instead of questioning the motives of the person who came here to strike up a conversation with fellow geocachers. I'd like for people to feel welcome and keep coming back to participate in discussions such as this one. Thanks.

Valid point. The topic I'm sure is meant lightly & I should take it lightly. I got carried away when someone asked the OP, "Why does it drive you crazy?" I'm sure the OP is not actually losing sleep over the odd usernames out there.

A geocacher around here uses the handle "catomcat". I love his "Somewhere..." series of caches, but for years, I was pronouncing his name "KA-tom CAT", like "cation" except without the "i" and with an "m" instead of an "n".

Then I heard someone pronounce it "California tomcat", and I realized it was "CA tomcat" instead of "catom cat".

I never know how I'm supposed to annunciate Roman.
I pronounce "Roman!" as ROW-man-BANG, but that seems to confuse people.

How about niraD? Is it nira D or nighrad?
According to his profile page, it's "NEAR-add".

Wow! I can't believe I've been doing it right!tongue.gif

I've never heard anyone try to pronounce my name, so I have no clue what people think.

I don't worry too much about the pronunciation, in fact I like trying to wrap my tongue around some of them, but when I write logs I like to thank the CO by name. This is where unusually spelled long names trip me up, especially when some are hyphenated and/or mixed cases.

I believe my username pronunciation is simple, but many folks are challenged by it. I pronounce it Terra V A tors, but I've TierraViators, TerraVaders, TerraVisitors, TerrAviators and the very unfortunate TiaraViolators.

I'm confused with usernames containing numerals. I never know if I should pronounce each number individiually or not.

Yno, pronounced like wino, which sounds better than lush, but not as sophisticated as oenophile, which hardly anyone can pronounce. I adopted this screen name years ago when I signed up fo a different forum and had to think of a name. The site's owner, Dean, used Dno, like 'Dino Martin', so I thought of Yno, because I like wine.

Just call me "bozo." I bet Francophones don't have trouble with it, though.

Yeah, you do have to work for that one, but I can see it. "eault" is pronounced "OH" (and I only know that from French Canadian Hockey players) and then there's beau with the X in there. But I never would have came up with that. Maybe Bow-oh, if I was lucky, and really thinking about it. :P

Don't make me call in Captain Clorox. Wait a minute, never mind. :unsure: