Military Deployment

Hello! I am hoping for some input/advice from fellow geocachers. I am on a military deployment in Afghanistan for at least the next six months. There is no options to physically geocache here (I can't leave the wire and placing geocaches is a big no-no).

How can one stay involved? Are there virtual events or anything like that that can keep me connected (short of staying active in the message boards). The idea of going six months without a find makes me a little sad!

I look forward to the discussion and Happy Caching!

Nicole aka WarriorScholar

Hello! I am hoping for some input/advice from fellow geocachers. I am on a military deployment in Afghanistan for at least the next six months. There is no options to physically geocache here (I can't leave the wire and placing geocaches is a big no-no).

How can one stay involved? Are there virtual events or anything like that that can keep me connected (short of staying active in the message boards). The idea of going six months without a find makes me a little sad!

Hide & Seek page, country Afghanistan:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=12&as=1&ex=0&cFilter=9a79e6ce-3344-409c-bbe9-496530baf758&children=n

B.

Well, a mostly military Geocaching organization has been known hold virtual events, but I wouldn't go there. Not as big of a no-no as placing caches inside the wire, but still a no-no. :ph34r:

I'm too old to have been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, but just from observation, I believe there once used to be boatloads of caches "inside the wire". I haven't been paying attention, but I could see them being outlawed.

How about hosting an event? Or hoping someone hosts one where you're going to be?

Thank you all for your input.

-I know that there are a lot of caches in Afghanistan but the long and short is I can't leave post to find them and there are none on the base that I am on.

-Cache placing is strictly not allowed anymore. Turn over is so high that no matter how many people you tell you are placing it, someone will stumble upon it, not know what it is, and the base will be shut down because of a found unidentified object.

-I love the idea of hosting an event! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I am going to get on that ASAP.

Thank you all and I look forward to further discussion.

Happy Caching!

How to stay involved while in-country? Keep reading and posting to the forums!

I don't get to go out caching much, but I read these pages at least a couple of times a week on my lunch break.

Keep your hand in, and your opinions!

Make sure you come back and bump this thread back to 'current' when you get back so we know all is well.

Good tour,....Bill

First of all...Thanks for your Service and be safe over there... I am a Retired US Army 1SG and did 2 tours in Iraq....

I think Geo Caching in Country could be a bad idea.. If someone stumbles on your cache inside or outside the wire and they aren't familiar with the game things could go bad in a hurry...Same with if someone observed you lurking around GZ trying to find a Cache... We were so busy watching out for IEDs that anything that didn't look familiar or looked out of place immediately set up a red flag....

If you need anything let me know.....I'll see if I can get you hooked up...

Edited by basscat5

First of all...Thanks for your Service and be safe over there... I am a Retired US Army 1SG and did 2 tours in Iraq....

I think Geo Caching in Country could be a bad idea.. If someone stumbles on your cache inside or outside the wire and they aren't familiar with the game things could go bad in a hurry...Same with if someone observed you lurking around GZ trying to find a Cache... We were so busy watching out for IEDs that anything that didn't look familiar or looked out of place immediately set up a red flag....

If you need anything let me know.....I'll see if I can get you hooked up...

Never had or met a 1SG I didn't like. You would think I could say the same for CSM's but I can't. Twice. :P