Things That Look Like Geocaches, But Aren't

Z3ROIN

Hey all,

since starting geocaching i often see things which sparks the 'found it!' synapses in the old grey matter, but actually aren't geocaches at all. Sometimes these things even give me inspiration for hides. I'm sure this happens to others too.

This thread is a place to post pictures of all these things which confuse and inspire us.

I've always said as a geocacher looking to make a cache, we don't ask if it could be a cache, we ask how it will be a cache.

Here is the first one, i passed this the other day and it made me look twice. Not sure it would be a cache in such an open place but it still made me look nevertheless.

79dac868-e517-4985-bc39-22d8f09fc649.jpg

That's a Pelican case. I've used smaller ones for caches before. But that thing's a bit expensive-wonder what it's there fore.

Reminds me of one of my caches. I had a puzzle, and apparently you could solve it wrong and end up at a place close to the real GZ, with no other caches around. So the cachers who did that found a black box on a light pole, kinda like in that picture. Well 2 of the cachers worked for the utility department, and know that's not supposed to be there, so they pull it down, and open it. Oops. Turns out it was a pinhole camera.

That's a Pelican case. I've used smaller ones for caches before. But that thing's a bit expensive-wonder what it's there fore.

Could be a short range transmission device for public transport busses, given the placement and the obvious bus stop located there. In a former job we used to need a lot of engineering effort to build them really weatherproof. Simply using a ready-to-buy Pelican case seems to be far easier. However, looks rather unprofessional, too, but what will you do if project deadlines come near... :)

I found a cache in the fridge at work yesterday, still kinda scratching my head over that one... The log was just a napkin, and the only piece of swag was a ham&cheese sandwich. It looked like I was FTF though, so I signed the log, and swapped in a keychain, while muttering about these new cachers not knowing the guidelines, "no food in a cache". It's funny, I checked on the map and can't find the icon for that location yet. Maybe it hadn't published yet...

I found a cache in the fridge at work yesterday, still kinda scratching my head over that one... The log was just a napkin, and the only piece of swag was a ham&cheese sandwich. It looked like I was FTF though, so I signed the log, and swapped in a keychain, while muttering about these new cachers not knowing the guidelines, "no food in a cache". It's funny, I checked on the map and can't find the icon for that location yet. Maybe it hadn't published yet...

Let me guess - you found it in the morning, not in the afternoon.

As for the keychain swag, I found a cache today with a car key as swag. :blink: What do you do then - go around the parking lot and try it out??

Edited by wmpastor

Could be a short range transmission device for public transport busses, given the placement and the obvious bus stop located there. In a former job we used to need a lot of engineering effort to build them really weatherproof. Simply using a ready-to-buy Pelican case seems to be far easier. However, looks rather unprofessional, too, but what will you do if project deadlines come near... :)

The other day I drove by a school where it looked like someone was installing a pelican case like that on a street sign. He wasn't wearing any sort of uniform, hardhat, nor was there a vehicle parked nearby that had any sort of identifying information (like a city maintenance vehicle or one from the local transit company). After driving by I wondered if it might be a geocacher hiding a cache (in front of a school and altering a road sign).

The other day I drove by a school where it looked like someone was installing a pelican case like that on a street sign. He wasn't wearing any sort of uniform, hardhat, nor was there a vehicle parked nearby that had any sort of identifying information (like a city maintenance vehicle or one from the local transit company). After driving by I wondered if it might be a geocacher hiding a cache (in front of a school and altering a road sign).

Did you go back 15 minutes later for the FTF?!

No uniform? That proves he WAS a city employee. Only cachers wear reflective stuff, etc., so they can look like what they think an official worker looks like.

One cacher reported that the police asked why he was wearing a reflective vest. If he had just worn everyday clothes, he wouldn't have attacted attention!

Here is the first one, i passed this the other day and it made me look twice. Not sure it would be a cache in such an open place but it still made me look nevertheless.

Passed here again the other day and now it's gone!!

Poof! Magic!

Probably some kind of bus service tracking project as mentioned above.

Poof! Magic!

What did you expect?! You weren't stealthy, you drew attention by photographing it, and now it's been muggled! ;)

Poof! Magic!

What did you expect?! You weren't stealthy, you drew attention by photographing it, and now it's been muggled! ;)

Look for the film tub 'throwdown' at the foot of the pole! :laughing: