Garmin GPSMAP64s questions

We won a Garmin GPSMAP64s at the Midwest Geobash 2014 and need some help getting it up and running for geocaching.

I have been using a MAP60CSx now for years and the new options are a bit confusing with no good guide to help me.

Here are my questions:

#1 I do have 500 geocaches loaded using GSAC with the GPSMAP62 setting, after playing I now see the caches on the screen but don't know how I did it?

#2 In all the advertisement on the 64 they show a nice map on the screen, all I'm getting is a tan and green map type screen?

#3 With my MAP60CSx I can choose "Follow Road" or "Off Road" when I select a geocache to find. I can't find the "Follow Road" with the 64?

#4 I downloaded BaseCamp? What is Birdseye? Is that what I need to install and how?

Any Help Please.

I have found that the free open source maps are good. Although I have City Navigator I switched to the OSM maps because they contain additional trail information that has been helpful from time to time.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

As insig wrote, you can also get free maps from gpsfiledepot. There are some good free topo maps there. Depending on where you live, there may be other sources for maps as well.

Unlike the 60csx, the 64s can load multiple maps with different names, so that is helpful. If you decide to purchase a sd card with CN maps on it, though, use of the sd card for other purposes might be limited by space, but in any case if you buy through eBay or third parties, be sure to know the source and whether it is pirated. I am not sure the current status of Garmin's attempt with the 64 firmware to stop pirated maps, but at least earlier this year they seemed headed in that direction.

Birds eye gives you access to satellite images. I have never used it. Depending on where you are, it may or may not be helpful. Although the limitations of the 64's display and inherent problems of satellite coverage in wooded areas make me dubious, you can use it for a year and see how you like it.

With the 64 you can choose different types of navigation and store them in different profiles so that you can easily switch from one mode to another. I do not see a garmin 64 wiki. With other units, the wikis have been a great source of information, but even the 62 wiki might help you get used to the menu structure on your gpsr and give you ideas about how it can be customized.

Edited by geodarts

My suggestion is to used the Openstreet maps shown above. The "routable bicycle" version includes topographic data as well as the roads and trails if you want that.

If you want to check them out in advance, look at the online versions:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

http://www.opencyclemap.org/

I would only buy City Navigator for a gps you are using for car street use and then it makes more sense to buy a new Nuvi with the maps included. There is no reason to ever buy the Garmin topo maps as the free versions are better.

Edited by Red90

We won a Garmin GPSMAP64s at the Midwest Geobash 2014 and need some help getting it up and running for geocaching.

I have been using a MAP60CSx now for years and the new options are a bit confusing with no good guide to help me.

Here are my questions:

#1 I do have 500 geocaches loaded using GSAC with the GPSMAP62 setting, after playing I now see the caches on the screen but don't know how I did it?

Unfound caches automatically show on the map when you are zoomed in enough. Press the Menu button twice to get to the main menu. Press Page to cycle through the menu pages. For a list of geocaches by distance, cycle through until you hit "Geocaches".

#2 In all the advertisement on the 64 they show a nice map on the screen, all I'm getting is a tan and green map type screen?

That's an optional Garmin 24K map with shading. I have a 64s and love it. I also like the free maps from gpsfiledepot.com.

#3 With my MAP60CSx I can choose "Follow Road" or "Off Road" when I select a geocache to find. I can't find the "Follow Road" with the 64?

I don't think the basemap is routable. See other directions here for OSM routable maps.

#4 I downloaded BaseCamp? What is Birdseye? Is that what I need to install and how?

A free one-year subscription to Birdseye is included with the 64s. You can download Birdseye tiles in BaseCamp. It's satellite view on your GPS screen. I have the 64s and I'm pretty sure I'll subscribe after the free one year is up. It's not quite as high resolution as Google Earth on a newish smartphone screen, but then it's nicely readable in the sunlight and requires no data connection.

I'm guessing that the logic on the 64 is similar to the 62, if so, from the Main Menu>Setup>Routing>Lock on Road. Or something similar to that. Also check out the Profiles feature (if the 64 still uses those...Garmin doesn't say <_< ). If profiles are available, you can use different settings for each activity (not locked on road for caching; locked on road for automotive, which map to display, etc).