International Geocaching Day 2014

The newsletter arrived this evening:

Events like the Geocaching Block Party and Project MUNICH2014 take place on August 16 for a reason: it’s International Geocaching Day. Whether you’re attending one of the many events that day or just out geocaching on August 16, you will earn a special souvenir for your geocaching profile.

B.

No, not advertised at all. Not even in the weekly newsletter or the blog, which are usually good for announcements like that.

:blink::blink:

The newsletter arrived this evening:

Events like the Geocaching Block Party and Project MUNICH2014 take place on August 16 for a reason: it’s International Geocaching Day. Whether you’re attending one of the many events that day or just out geocaching on August 16, you will earn a special souvenir for your geocaching profile.

It's not really well advertized this year, is it? I only heard of it by accident and we went out today to get a multi which gave us an August souvenir and the geocaching day one. :)

As I said up above on August 5th, it was in the newsletter.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/08/add-a-little-geocaching-mega-giga-to-your-august/

Well yes, but lets be honest: the news letter was about Mega and Giga events. As it wasn't relevant for my location I didn't read the whole newsletter (contrary to what I usually do). It just wasn't a very clear communication from GS. If they'd printed that part in bold I'm sure I'd seen it. Oh well, I got my cache yesterday and I sent this information on to the local community (nobody seemed to have known), so all is fine.

It did seem to pass quietly this year.

Yep, totally missed it here. And I was out playing another game for an hour that day, I could have squeezed a cache in there for a Souvie. I'm good though, because I went on a 3 day mini vacation 200 miles from home last week, and I was able to grab 3 old virts and an Earthcache (something I wouldn't have been able to do within 50 miles of home if I didn't go anywhere this month), so I should be a shoo-in for the 7 Souvie's of August, something I had not intention of pulling off.

I was already out caching that day when I learned about it, so at least I was able to get it. I agree, though, that it was very poorly communicated this year. The only mention I've seen anywhere was that little blurb in the newsletter, buried in amongst marketing-speak about Megas and Gigas. The least they could have done is separate it out with its own heading in the newsletter, or at least mention it again in the last newsletter before the day.

I completely missed out on International Geocaching Day!

We were out finding some caches yesterday and suddenly I was wondering when International Geocaching Day was, a few minutes later I realized it was the day before.

It had become a tradition to go caching on this day, from the first year it was "invented"; last year because of the August souvenirs we didn't go caching except on IG-Day, but this year there was nothing to remind us :( .

A pity, but hey, time to think of a new tradition, with all the August stuff it was moved to the background anyway.

So if anyone has a good idea for a new yearly tradition, please mention it here! (and please not a tradition in the month of August, because this month is taken over by challenges).

Ah. I must have missed that in the newsletter. Never mind. I was checking the one that came out the week before the 16th, which is where I'd expect to see a reminder.

did you at least manage to get you souvenir?

I did indeed. We hosted an event specifically for International Geocaching Day. It was originally going to be at a place called "C.G.'s International Cuisine," because I figured that'd be perfect, but they don't normally open for lunch on Saturdays and we couldn't guarantee them 20 diners so that they'd open up just for us. So then we shifted to an Asian buffet that does Chinese Japanese, and American food. The theme was international; I wore my Lederhosen, wife wore a kilt, and one other attendee wore a dirndl. (Everyone else at least tried, even if it was just a Hawai'ian shirt.)

Sorry, I did not get a photo of me in my Lederhosen. But if you're just dying to see, I may have logged a certain challenge cache in Georgia involving German border states whilst wearing them, you can go look.

Edited by hzoi

A pity, but hey, time to think of a new tradition, with all the August stuff it was moved to the background anyway.

So if anyone has a good idea for a new yearly tradition, please mention it here!

No. If they invent IGCD, they should stick to it, otherwise everything from them loses credibility. I made myself a calendar entry, but was baffled about the lack of communication as well.

(and please not a tradition in the month of August, because this month is taken over by challenges).

Uhm, what challenge? I made a cache tour with friends on Saturday the 2nd, and got: “

Congrats! You're locked in as 942 out of the 26088 geocachers around the world to earn the Achiever souvenir to date. Considering that there are millions of geocachers worldwide, that’s pretty awesome!”

Considering that we extended the tour a bit, so I could find all nine (9) icons available in the region, at least twice of each… it was a piece of cake. Last year’s was more difficult, but was what got me kickstarted again (I was at 429 caches before 1st of August, 2013, and am at 1076 to date, although I stopped caching extremely much after 31st of July, 2014, when I completed the 366 day challenge… I got into it after the 31 day challenge).

PS: Hmm, forum signatures here don’t work correctly either…

Edited by mirabilos

So if anyone has a good idea for a new yearly tradition, please mention it here! (and please not a tradition in the month of August, because this month is taken over by challenges).

They say that what you do on New Year's Day is what you will do for the whole year and lucky. So I like to find a cache on New Year's Day.