CACHE COP... on abandoned caches!

JPreto

You could just post an NA and let a reviewer take care of it, but there would be no drama for you to feed on. <_<

No drama here... just doing a community job, i think! Or maybe not... :ph34r:

I know of some ownerless illegal geocaches that are being maintained by the community with throwdodns that I would like to report. Do I just give you the GC code and you contact my local reviewer? I think you have a great idea. Now I can report these bad caches and have them archived without getting involved. Thank you cache cop. :)

If one comes across a cache that one BELIEVES (how can one be 100% sure it is gone?) is missing, a simple Needs Archived log on the cache page should start action. The reviewer in the area will get a copy of the NA log, and should examine the situation and work it for you.

Really ?

How 'bout a NM first. I don't believe most would go straight to an NA.

Had one similar where a cacher swore it was no longer there, as someone they were with found it earlier.

- Yeah, about two years earlier, before it was moved due to muggles.

If one of them used a GPS, they'd have known that...

If one comes across a cache that one BELIEVES (how can one be 100% sure it is gone?) is missing, a simple Needs Archived log on the cache page should start action. The reviewer in the area will get a copy of the NA log, and should examine the situation and work it for you.

Really ?

How 'bout a NM first. I don't believe most would go straight to an NA.

Had one similar where a cacher swore it was no longer there, as someone they were with found it earlier.

- Yeah, about two years earlier, before it was moved due to muggles.

If one of them used a GPS, they'd have known that...

I recently DNF'ed a cache that was placed by an absentee cacher. It hadn't been found in a year and had gone missing in the past. I searched the area thoroughly. I posted my DNF, and, even though the cache owner hadn't logged on in a year, I posted a NM to give other cachers a heads-up. Well, I got a text from another cacher a couple weeks later saying he found it in great condition... I was so sure it had gone missing, but I guess I was wrr-r-r-r-r.... wr-r-r-r-r-r... Like the Fonz, it's hard to admit when I'm not right :)

There's nothing on this cache listing except one "found it" log that some believe to be suspect, and a few note logs.

For all I know, the owner's account is still connected to an email that he checks daily. Perhaps he plays with a smartphone app and never signs into the website on a computer. Lack of a site visit recorded on the profile is no longer meaningful.

From 2003 the CO is using a smartphone, he never found a single cache and placed 5 caches between Jan 2002 and May 2003... I´m sure he is a avid geocacher and if you really look at his geocaching profile you can see that another of his caches http://coord.info/GCG2ZQ has a bigger problem, NA from 2010 and the FOUND is not a found by the Geocaching guidelines!!!! B)

As far as I can tell, nobody's even made it to GZ yet. Who knows, the cache may still be there and in great shape. A bogus Found log doesn't mean a cache should be archived.

I´m not talking about archiving caches, I´m talking about DELETING BOGUS FOUND LOGS!!!! But if the case the caches could also be archived if it is demonstrated they are not there and the CO is absent!

Gezzz... Am I the only one that doesn´t like when people lie about logging a FOUND IT in a cache the CO is absent?

So, back to my first question: "Who is the responsibility of taking care of caches that the CO abandoned? GS, reviewers, the community? And how should this process be done when bogus FOUND IT logs are registered in abandoned caches?"

Face it. The Found was not a Found and the cacher doesn't seem to be caching anymore. We can all see and read the cacher didn't really find it and then wants it archived because they think it is (or really is) missing. Forget the cacher, what about the cache. Anyone can put down a throw down because since no one has ever seen the real cache you can't prove it's the actual one or a throwdown. Either the cache is gone and should be archived or it's still there yet to be found.