Logging the retrievable of a trackable correctly

saltwatersoul

This is only my second TB find. I retrieved and dropped off the first correctly. However, when I came home today to log this one after taking it from a cache today, its trackable page lists it as still being in the hands of another geocacher (since early this month). When clicking on 'Found it? Log it!", I have three options: grab from current holder, write note, or discovered it. Which is correct in this case?

I would attempt to contact that person and ask them to properly log the drop into that cache, then log the retrieve as normal. That way, the TB's actual travels are accurate.

If a few days go by and you get no reply or action from the other cacher, then log a grab.

I usually look to see if there's any reason to think the other cacher is being delayed in logging. So, for example, if I see that they already logged their find on that cache, I know there's no delay in their logging and I can assume they just forgot they put the TB in the cache.

Yes, "Grab from" is the right first step. Mention where you found the TB in your grab log.

Then have the TB visit the cache where you found it. If you haven't logged your find yet, you can do the visit in your found log. If you've already logged the find, you can edit the found log to add the visit, or just write a note to the cache to have the visit.

Then go to the TB's page and edit the blank visit log you just added, explaining that the visit is reflecting the cache where you found the TB even though it hadn't been dropped there. From the TB's point of view, those steps are almost as good at showing the TB's journey as the other cacher logging the drop themselves.

We tried the, "contact the last, if no answer by..." and it didn't pan out.

Spending our time on others (most who never responded) just wasn't sensible.

Like Walts Hunting, we grab, dip and done.

Am I to assume that if you were to find a cache on the day I found that cache and had dropped off a TB but not logged either the cache or TB drop that you would Grab the TB from me?

I'll tell you right now that I would grab it back and drop it into the cache.

I don't use a smartphone to cache, so I don't immediately log caches when I find them. I will log them within 24 hours, usually less, when I've returned home and can use my computer.

Am I to assume that if you were to find a cache on the day I found that cache and had dropped off a TB but not logged either the cache or TB drop that you would Grab the TB from me?

I don't use a smartphone to cache, so I don't immediately log caches when I find them. I will log them within 24 hours, usually less, when I've returned home and can use my computer.

I do too. I don't use a smart phone either.

We've had people who didn't even log the cache for over a month.

- We sure aren't gonna hold onto someone's trackable that long.

I will no longer wait for others who, "may get around to it eventually...".

If you hadn't logged it by the time I do, tough.

If you decide to drop the TB back into the cache, knowing it's no longer there, that's on you.

I logged it correctly.

Yes, I will grab the TB from you, unless it's convenient for me to wait. Of course, if I don't notice your signature in the log, I won't know you visited it at all (since you haven't logged it on line yet), and even if I do notice your signature, I won't really know whether you're the one that dropped the TB.

Wow, really? You'd intentionally log a TB into a cache you know it's not in? Excuse me for saying this, but that seems both arrogant and pig headed.

I don't use a smartphone to cache, so I don't immediately log caches when I find them.

I don't log from the field, either. But I do log them that night -- I'll normally wait past midnight for you, if I can -- and I log trackable drops as soon as I can get to a computer just so there's no confusion about where the TB is as might happen if you visit the cache after me.

I will log them within 24 hours, usually less, when I've returned home and can use my computer.

That's fine, but tell me: what's the big deal if I logged my grab of the TB before you got home to your computer? Why is it so important to you to log a drop instead of logging a note saying "I dropped this, but dprovan had already picked it up before I got home to my computer the next day"? You can say all the same things in a note, but by posting a note, you aren't disrupting the true location of the TB.

My problem with your attitude is that even though you consider it bounded by your 24 hour pledge, it isn't: next time, you'll say "I normally log them in 24 hours, but this time X happened and it took me 48 hours". But even more importantly, your 24 hours are entirely arbitrary: someone can (and has) made exactly the same argument as you in this forum, except they were peeved because someone didn't wait a week for them to get home from vacation to log the drops.

And let's keep in mind what you're asking: you want me to go back to the web page hour after hour (or set up a watch and the check my mail hour after hour), checking to see if you've logged your drop. Does that really seem fair to you to make me go to extra work so you can take your time logging? Especially since if I don't do that, the sum total of the terrible thing I've done is force you to log a note instead of a drop. Oh, wait, there are two more terrible things I've done: since you're posting a note, you're nearly forced to actually say something in the log, while a drop creates an empty log automatically allowing you to not say anything at all. And if you're one of those people that loves to log visits in every cache, I might force you to skip a few of those, too. The Horrors!

I'm sorry if I'm a little short about this: as it happens, I picked up a couple TBs from a cache 3 days ago, and the person I grabbed them from still hasn't logged the cache. If that were you, should I still be waiting to log where the TB is? Should I still be holding the TBs since I can't logged that I picked them up yet and therefore can't log that I dropped them yet? All so you can proudly log your late drop instead of a note? (Hint: the answer isn't "24 hours", since I would have no idea whether the person that left the TB is someone that religiously logs TBs within 24 hours or someone that doesn't even know they're suppose to log a TB drop at all.)

I Grab and log the trackables as soon as i get home. I you had kept the number and then grabbed it and put it back somewhere it would still be logged as there when I dumped it somewhere else.