munzee stickers the end of geocaching?

Fortunately the "parking lot sticker defacement game" places most of their pieces in areas I have no interest in looking for a geocache in, so I rarely see a problem.

I know a woman who likes to find those stickers. She went to the states on holiday and found herself in a large parking lot at 2am going from sign to lampost, scanning all the stickers. I can't understand what she got out of it. She's driven around town here and pulled over at every signpost to put a sticker on it. Hundreds of times. Not surprisingly, almost nobody is looking for them. :unsure:

Oh, and you get Souvenirs... :rolleyes:

They're Badges to be clear. No Souv's in that game.....just Badges. :)

A good sharpie to mark it out or a scraper does wonders for those things. :)

Sure, like throwing a sandwich box or a film pot in the trash does wonders for geocaches people might not happen to like.

Would you like people hunting your caches and throwing them in the trash?

Geocaches are hidden from view, the munzees I see are in plain sight. PMO also limits who can view my caches. Munzee is only for smartphones, hopefully they will go away. :anitongue: Helping them is a plus for geocaching before they give us a worse rep. :anibad:

Being hidden from view doesn't mean they aren't there, and a person who comes to an area, scans a QR code with their phone and moves on is much less likely to be considered "suspicious activity" prompting people to investigate than the person who spends 15 minutes peering in all sorts of improbable locations before surreptitiously placing an unknown object behind the junction box on the street.

PMO status might limit who can see them on the web site but doesn't limit who can see them if they happen to walk past and wonder why there's a film pot on the back of the phone box, or an unusual pile of sticks against the fallen tree.

Obviously those M things have cultural difference from area to area, just like geocaches. The ones I've seen were typically well hidden, and I never would have found them if I hadn't been searching for a geocache in the same area. A couple were in plain sight, but even those were like cache hides in plain sight, the point being that the hide is easy to see if you see it, but easy to overlook if you don't. I haven't looked at the M map in detail, but in my casual interactions with it, I haven't seen anyone dumping tags like power trail caches in the way described in other posts. I guess no one does that around here.

Yes, it depends a lot on the area. In urban areas in my country munzee power trails are very common. Take e.g. a look at the munzee map for my home town Graz, Austria or Linz, Austria (even more extreme).

There are less munzee players than geocachers and most of them are gocachers too, but the number of munzees these people put out is extremely high and they need to do it in order to be able to compete in the clan battleships that take place regularly.

Edited by cezanne

Obviously those M things have cultural difference from area to area, just like geocaches. The ones I've seen were typically well hidden, and I never would have found them if I hadn't been searching for a geocache in the same area. A couple were in plain sight, but even those were like cache hides in plain sight, the point being that the hide is easy to see if you see it, but easy to overlook if you don't. I haven't looked at the M map in detail, but in my casual interactions with it, I haven't seen anyone dumping tags like power trail caches in the way described in other posts. I guess no one does that around here.

Yes, it depends a lot on the area. In urban areas in my country munzee power trails are very common. Take e.g. a look at the munzee map for my home town Graz, Austria or Linz, Austria (even more extreme).

There are less munzee players than geocachers and most of them are gocachers too, but the number of munzees these people put out is extremely high and they need to do it in order to be able to compete in the clan battleships that take place regularly.

This is exactly correct. With only about 10-15 hardcore clan players in my area, they are literally running out bike trail and Park green space in a metro area of 1,000,000 people. They've definitely run out of bike trail space. There isn't an inch open, anywhere. :blink:

Had to learn what Munzee is using good ole Google. After skimming through their website and checking out photos on their Facebook page, the first thought that comes to mind is...aren't these stickers similar to vandalism or defacing public property?

Sure, they are not as offensive as graffiti, but they are still stickers that are difficult to remove. If a sticker is placed on a public sign, then a city employee will have to spend time scraping it off. If a sticker is placed on a wall or a fence, then it disrupts the appearance of what the wall/fence owner intended. There are some cases where a tag is hung from a tree or something, so that's not as bad.

In my opinion, this Munzee game is annoying and disrepectful to public spaces. As far as searching for geocaches, they wouldn't bother me if the stickers aren't more specific than the coordinates.

Well, just report them to the police department. They should get right on it. :D Someone in NY called one in a few weeks ago. :blink:

• A resident of West Royal Parkway reported that a Munzee game piece was adhered to a street sign. According to police reports, the resident said Munzee is a scavenger hunt game similar to geocaching.

http://www.amherstbee.com/news/2014-06-18/Police_Blotter/Youths_toss_trash_items_at_area_geese.html

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Fortunately the "parking lot sticker defacement game" places most of their pieces in areas I have no interest in looking for a geocache in, so I rarely see a problem.

I know a woman who likes to find those stickers. She went to the states on holiday and found herself in a large parking lot at 2am going from sign to lampost, scanning all the stickers. I can't understand what she got out of it. She's driven around town here and pulled over at every signpost to put a sticker on it. Hundreds of times. Not surprisingly, almost nobody is looking for them. :unsure:

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I kept saying the same thing and they brought them in anyways. LOL

I agree! We had a similar experience last week in DE. I didn't mind so much seeing them on your run-of-the-mill guard rail hides but on trickier hides, for me, it was like if the CO had added a sticker at GZ that said something like "geocache HERE!" with a big red arrow. I realize your GPS serves a similar purpose (locating the spot) but the sticker for me was just gaudy (for lack of a better word coming to mind).

Sure, they should be able to play their game too but why not be original and come up with their own hiding places.

You know me Todd (this is J)....

If a Munzee sticker was placed near a GEOCACHE with an arrow giving away a Geocache location - is it wrong to REMOVE THE STICKER?? Toss that sucker in the trash?

It's a spoiler. You're probably doing the CO a favor.

And for the Munzee folks - find you're own locations!!! Don't piggyback off us!!

Edited by Lieblweb

If a Munzee is placed in a way that will spoil a geocache, I will remove the Munzee, plain and simple. As Lieblweb said...find your own spot!

And what if it turns out that munzee was of (or in cooperation with/with permission of) the owner of that geocache? Then you destroyed someone else's property and spoiled a game others play.

It's up to the CO to decide if he wants it removed, in case he didn't know about it and he gets informed by geocachers writing about it in their logs or via a PM. And if there is an unwanted situation, he can contact the owner of the munzee (who might not even have known about the cache) to explain. This way the munzee will not just be removed in the field but also online. A situation like this can be handled in a grown up's way, just resolve the matter in a friendly way instead of acting like one is more superior to the other.

I do a little of Munzees but not as much as I did before. I don't mind munzees near caches as long as they have permission of the CO to put them on or in a cache that is not theirs. They still have to search for the cache. It's the munzees that are placed near or in puzzles finals that they don't own would bother me if I owned them. While searching for puzzles in Colorado I found a final and munzee close by. I didn't research that one so I don't know if the CO put it there or got permission but I didn't see any other Munzees near the puzzles by this CO.

If a Munzee is placed in a way that will spoil a geocache, I will remove the Munzee, plain and simple. As Lieblweb said...find your own spot!

And what if it turns out that munzee was of (or in cooperation with/with permission of) the owner of that geocache? Then you destroyed someone else's property and spoiled a game others play.

In the vast majority of cases, the Munzee placer almost never has permission from the cache owner to place a Munzee there.

Well, if a letterboxer hid a very nice lock and lock with a 300 page logbook and a hand carved stamp, and then someone drops a geocache pill container on top of it, I would expect the geocache to disappear. I'm not advocating theft in any way, I just wouldn't be surprised. The same goes with munzee stickers.

There is a previous reviewer who has posted a story a few times in here, bragging about stealing a geocache, and I suppose it wouldn't take too much for some people to justify it. I recall the story as someone using a drill to deface objects around town for hides. He was told to stop, so he responded by hiding a regular cache in a dump site. The former reviewer stole the legal geocache and was happy to report that the placer disappeared after that. Incidentally the former reviewer also has a geocache under his front step and he has been puzzled over why it has been taken a few times. I don't think any munzee sticker should be defaced, but the reality is that it will happen and others will find a way to draw those circles.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

So presumably you'd be OK if a munzee owner destroyed a geocache because they thought it spoiled the munzee? It's pretty arrogant to assume that nobody else gets to play a different game just because you decided you want a spot to play your game.

In the vast majority of cases, the Munzee placer almost never has permission from the cache owner to place a Munzee there.

Where?

In the vast majority of cases over here the munzee placer is a geocaching player as well and they have munzees with their own caches and next to this also in areas that are totally unfit (and uninteresting) for geocaches.

I heard only once about a munzee player who placed one inside a geocache that was not his own. It didn't take long before CO heard about it and then it was removed and explained to the munzee owner that this is not the way the game is played. The munzee owner was a young newbee, he didn't know that what he did was wrong, but now he knows. If someone would just remove the munzee, the munzee would still be online and this munzee player would never get an explanation and might continue his unwanted actions, not realizing that what he was doing is wrong.

Edited by irisisleuk
That's pretty much what I think about people who lay down power trails. At least putting a sticker on a post somewhere doesn't block out a quarter-mile wide sausage strip following the filmpot power trail.

... although if the geocache is nothing more than a soggy film pot or keysafe you might as well just scan a sticker as rummage around the urban debris in the hope that you find the film pot before finding enough unpleasant stuff you give up.

To me munzees sound much like geocaching power trails. I really can't see what people get out of driving along a road, stopping every 528 feet to sign another film pot, repeating the process hundreds of times and coming up with ways to accelerate the process even if that means throwdowns and shuffling each cache to the next position. If you're going to do that, why not just beep a QR sticker on the guard rail and do away with the endless film pots?

Sure, like throwing a sandwich box or a film pot in the trash does wonders for geocaches people might not happen to like.

Don't hold back bro', tell us how you really feel about urban micros. Especially since the OP was asking about Munzees. <_<

Well, if a letterboxer hid a very nice lock and lock with a 300 page logbook and a hand carved stamp, and then someone drops a geocache pill container on top of it, I would expect the geocache to disappear. I'm not advocating theft in any way, I just wouldn't be surprised. The same goes with munzee stickers.

There is a previous reviewer who has posted a story a few times in here, bragging about stealing a geocache, and I suppose it wouldn't take too much for some people to justify it. I recall the story as someone using a drill to deface objects around town for hides. He was told to stop, so he responded by hiding a regular cache in a dump site. The former reviewer stole the legal geocache and was happy to report that the placer disappeared after that. Incidentally the former reviewer also has a geocache under his front step and he has been puzzled over why it has been taken a few times. I don't think any munzee sticker should be defaced, but the reality is that it will happen and others will find a way to draw those circles.

I did not know that dude was ever a reviewer, but I know exactly what you're talking about!!! :ph34r:

Yes, it's not just the bar code sticker game (note that Mr.Yuck has still not used the "M" word, for which he has been temporarily banned not once, but twice, from these forums for using, both times as a joke, he might add). This is a long standing issue with Letterboxes. And I do indeed remember at least two threads where militant Geocachers have stated they would remove Letterboxes if they were placed near their cache. No wonder most of them don't like us. :P

I heard only once about a munzee player who placed one inside a geocache that was not his own.

Make it two. I had someone (an out of stater with many Munzee hides), hide one in a cache of mine. He referred to it as a "geo-tick". Like the real-life parasite, it was removed.

A total n00b to both Geocaching and the bar code sticker game did it in my area, and I'll guess less than a mile from my home coordinates. But the CO was actually OK with it. :huh:

I heard only once about a munzee player who placed one inside a geocache that was not his own.

Make it two. I had someone (an out of stater with many Munzee hides), hide one in a cache of mine. He referred to it as a "geo-tick". Like the real-life parasite, it was removed.

Make it three through seven for me. I have found Munzees placed by people who did not own the cache, inside a cache. One was mine. It happens more than you know.

I had see them at the end of final puzzle coordinates. :ph34r:

This is a little tacky. IMHO.

So people solve & find the puzzle final, and then place a sticker there? So crossover players can just use the sticker to find the final?!

That is wicked tacky. If that happened to one of mine that sticker would go missing, with a couple of "could not find" logs on it.

In this case, it wasn't a sticker and wasnt on the cache itself but very near. It was for one of the oldest puzzle cache in NC. I am sure some people can figured that out. If you try to find it, you will find the geocache as well. Can't miss it.

I did not know that dude was ever a reviewer, but I know exactly what you're talking about!!!

Yes, it's not just the bar code sticker game (note that Mr.Yuck has still not used the "M" word, for which he has been temporarily banned not once, but twice, from these forums for using, both times as a joke, he might add). This is a long standing issue with Letterboxes. And I do indeed remember at least two threads where militant Geocachers have stated they would remove Letterboxes if they were placed near their cache. No wonder most of them don't like us. :P

Whoever is there first deserves the spot. Placing another game piece as an add on to someone else spot is disrespectful. The same goes for signing the outside of containers with a sharpie which is disrespectful. :ph34r:

Can't we all just get along? :P

Seriously, there seems to be some people that look at this as a turf war. While I don't like the idea of defacing public property (which both 'camps' can argue the other does) or munzee's giving away geocaching locations (which I've never personally seen but wouldn't like if I did), I am a huge fan of any positive activity that gets people's noses out of the TV and into the outside!

Why would a Munzee owner need to get permission from a geocache owner? As long as they don't place it on or in the cache, they have just as much "right" to the spot as you do. When you place a cache, you are granted that spot in the geocaching world. It doesn't mean it's off limits to the rest of the world. I agree that placing a Munzee right next to a cache (or a cache next to a letterbox) is in pretty poor taste but we don't "own" the spot outside of our game.

If a Munzee is directly related to or connected to a geocache - it should be listed in the cache description. What it is and why its there.

I don't have a problem with Munzee's being near another cache. But if a Munzee is POINTING at a cache container giving away its location - then, that's a problem. They should have permission from the CO 'giving away' spoilers to the cache location AND it should be listed in the cache description as such.

I've seen Munzees stuck to the outside of ammo cans. Is the Munzee owned by the cache CO? Or did someone come along and stick it on the container? Again, it should be listed in cache description that its there on purpose (and not stuck there by some random munzee person).

Edited by Lieblweb
That's pretty much what I think about people who lay down power trails. At least putting a sticker on a post somewhere doesn't block out a quarter-mile wide sausage strip following the filmpot power trail.

... although if the geocache is nothing more than a soggy film pot or keysafe you might as well just scan a sticker as rummage around the urban debris in the hope that you find the film pot before finding enough unpleasant stuff you give up.

To me munzees sound much like geocaching power trails. I really can't see what people get out of driving along a road, stopping every 528 feet to sign another film pot, repeating the process hundreds of times and coming up with ways to accelerate the process even if that means throwdowns and shuffling each cache to the next position. If you're going to do that, why not just beep a QR sticker on the guard rail and do away with the endless film pots?

Don't hold back bro', tell us how you really feel about urban micros. Especially since the OP was asking about Munzees. <_<

I just find it curious how people can say there's no point in scanning QR codes on a sign when they are quite happy to go to the same sign to find a film pot tucked behind it. I can't help thinking that if the only reason to go to a particular signpost is to find a film pot tucked behind it you might as well just scan a QR code and not fumble through the spider webs.

People talking of trashing someone else's game because they don't want to share the space takes it to another level though. I'll bet the people proposing taking a Sharpie to a munzee they didn't like would be the first to howl if someone placed a munzee on a sign and threw the film pot behind the sign in the trash because it was "spoiling their game".

I don't have a problem with Munzee's being near another cache. But if a Munzee is POINTING at a cache container giving away its location - then, that's a problem. They should have permission from the CO 'giving away' spoilers to the cache location AND it should be listed in the cache description as such.

This obsession with permission really gets silly at times.

They should have permission from whoever owns the land or whatever object the munzee was stuck to. If the cache owner doesn't own the land it doesn't matter whether they are happy with a munzee being there.

If someone hides a really long and clever multicache and someone else, with permission of the land owner, erects a sign with a big arrow and a note "final stage for GC1234 is right here" then the cache owner gets to either deal with it or remove their cache. People might not like it but to say the cache owner needs to give permission is really a bizarre mindset. The way some people talk I'm surprised they aren't calling for some kind of ban on people walking past geocaches unless they're going looking for them.

I did not know that dude was ever a reviewer, but I know exactly what you're talking about!!!

Whoever is there first deserves the spot. Placing another game piece as an add on to someone else spot is disrespectful. The same goes for signing the outside of containers with a sharpie which is disrespectful. :ph34r:

My bad, I actually knew that guy was a reviewer. I thought you were talking about Coyote Red often AKA Sissy-n-CR. :ph34r:

It all goes back to a point made earlier, namely that the first one there claims the spot. A person hiding a Munzee at the same spot a cache is located is incredibly unimaginative. Find your own spot. So, since many Muneee'ers seem to lack such intellectual capacity, it's only right to give a hand and rid that spot of their QR code. B)

It all goes back to a point made earlier, namely that the first one there claims the spot. A person hiding a Munzee at the same spot a cache is located is incredibly unimaginative. Find your own spot. So, since many Muneee'ers seem to lack such intellectual capacity, it's only right to give a hand and rid that spot of their QR code. B)

I Waymark as well as cache.

I Waymarked a building.

A cacher later used it as part of a multicache.

(Count the posts, to work out the coordinates)

I was there first with the Waymark, should I have 'got rid' of the cache?

It was possible to work out how many posts by looking at the Waymark photo's... Which is the way I worked out the coordinates of the final! :D

I Waymark as well as cache.

I Waymarked a building.

A cacher later used it as part of a multicache.

(Count the posts, to work out the coordinates)

I was there first with the Waymark, should I have 'got rid' of the cache?

It was possible to work out how many posts by looking at the Waymark photo's... Which is the way I worked out the coordinates of the final! :D

Apples and oranges. You didn't leave anything there. If someone leaves a container, they got the spot.

I heard only once about a munzee player who placed one inside a geocache that was not his own. It didn't take long before CO heard about it and then it was removed and explained to the munzee owner that this is not the way the game is played. The munzee owner was a young newbee, he didn't know that what he did was wrong, but now he knows. If someone would just remove the munzee, the munzee would still be online and this munzee player would never get an explanation and might continue his unwanted actions, not realizing that what he was doing is wrong.

Exactly. People should not deface the stickers, but contact the placer and ask them to stop. However it may not seem to be worth their time and effort, as a sticker doesn't have too much value, but that's what they should do.

Leaving a munzee, letterbox, or geocache on top of another game piece without permission may be legal, but disrespectful. Once disrespect enters the equation, then all types of unknown and unwanted final quotients could occur.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

If someone places a sticker near a cleverly hidden cache, you don't really know the sticker is a spoiler until you find the cache, do you? When you first arrive you don't know if the sticker is anywhere near the cache.

If the cache isn't cleverly hidden then who cares if there is a sticker there?

If someone places a sticker near a cleverly hidden cache, you don't really know the sticker is a spoiler until you find the cache, do you? When you first arrive you don't know if the sticker is anywhere near the cache.

If the cache isn't cleverly hidden then who cares if there is a sticker there?

The sticker may be a spoiler, or makes it easier to find. It also would expose the cache to non-geocachers, who historically tend to steal or destroy geocaches at a much higher rate than geocache players do.

If a Munzee is directly related to or connected to a geocache - it should be listed in the cache description. What it is and why its there.

I know some reviewers will archive a cache if the owner mentions the game who must not be named in the cache description. Perhaps this policy has has changed :unsure:

Maybe they are unimaginative, but then so is the person who leaves a film pot behind a post just because there isn't one for 528 feet in any direction. Being unimaginative doesn't break any rules.

Ideas like "first one there claims the spot" are fine if you own the land. If you don't own the land then whoever does gets to make the rules.

Sticking a munzee sticker on the case of a geocache (assuming it isn't your geocache) is lame. If I had a cache and someone did that to it I'd remove the munzee simply because the box belongs to me and it's up to me to do what I want with the box. Sticking a munzee "near" a geocache is little more than someone else playing a different game in the similar spot. If you want to say they shouldn't place a munzee "near" a geocache you need to define "near" and it's clearly absurd to expect people playing a different game to care what people playing the game of geocaching think is an appropriate distance.

Must be something that occurs in some communities but where I cache I see a munzee only once or twice a month.

Yeah, they must be talking about Guardrail and LPC caches. I notice for example, the OP found a bunch of Mass Pike rest stop caches on the way to/from the Geobash. I daresay I've never come across a situation where one could give away a cache location.

And I'm not a big looker at their forums, but I know it's almost universally agreed over there you should not put them INSIDE someone else's Geocache. Only seen/heard of that happening once, personally.

What does the fact that I found 2 (1 going 1 coming back not a bunch) geocaches on the mass pike have to do with the fact that the people placing these munzees are ruining the experience of finding the geocache? I just recently found another one on a tree where a cache was hidden.

Why would a Munzee owner need to get permission from a geocache owner? As long as they don't place it on or in the cache, they have just as much "right" to the spot as you do. When you place a cache, you are granted that spot in the geocaching world. It doesn't mean it's off limits to the rest of the world. I agree that placing a Munzee right next to a cache (or a cache next to a letterbox) is in pretty poor taste but we don't "own" the spot outside of our game.

I recently found a sticker on a tree where a cache was hid that the placer of the cache had to get special permission from the landowner to place the cache, While not 100% certain I am pretty sure that the placer of the sticker did not get permission to do so.

Must be something that occurs in some communities but where I cache I see a munzee only once or twice a month.

Yeah, they must be talking about Guardrail and LPC caches. I notice for example, the OP found a bunch of Mass Pike rest stop caches on the way to/from the Geobash. I daresay I've never come across a situation where one could give away a cache location.

And I'm not a big looker at their forums, but I know it's almost universally agreed over there you should not put them INSIDE someone else's Geocache. Only seen/heard of that happening once, personally.

What does the fact that I found 2 (1 going 1 coming back not a bunch) geocaches on the mass pike have to do with the fact that the people placing these munzees are ruining the experience of finding the geocache? I just recently found another one on a tree where a cache was hidden.

You're probably making my point for me. Where was this tree, in a Home Depot Parking lot? :P

I can't imagine this affecting anything but urban park-n-grab caches. Or maybe like rural park-n-grab guardrail caches, I suppose. Neither of which I generally have any interest in.