shipping costs

RedShoesGirl

i have watched as shipping costs via ebay rise and rise. we are now at $3.50 for "economy shipping." hate to see what fancy shipping cost.

yesi know packing materials cost money, gas costs money. we've had that conversation before, when shipping jumped to $2.50. but even buying mailers one at a time at the post office i have never spent $3.50 on postage.

if a seller feels their time is worth a growing shipping rate, then put it into the cost of the coin. it's going to have to be a coin i really want before i pay that much again.

I tend to agree. Shipping costs are a problem. The 'International' issue when dealing with stores is tough enough, but those costs ARE high. Even when trading, it's a growing problem.

$2.50 should be plenty to ship a coin anywhere inside the US. One additional cost that sellers have to face though is that the e-place started collecting their fee on the item AND the shipping. It used to be that shipping was not included in the any sell fees. That got abused when sellers started selling items for $1 and charging $10+ for shipping. That way they only had to pay the fee on the $1 for the item.

That's why I went to the formula of deducting shipping from my top bid and if it means the item doesn't sell for more ... so be it. Problem solved. :)

I tend to agree. Shipping costs are a problem. The 'International' issue when dealing with stores is tough enough, but those costs ARE high. Even when trading, it's a growing problem.

$2.50 should be plenty to ship a coin anywhere inside the US. One additional cost that sellers have to face though is that the e-place started collecting their fee on the item AND the shipping. It used to be that shipping was not included in the any sell fees. That got abused when sellers started selling items for $1 and charging $10+ for shipping. That way they only had to pay the fee on the $1 for the item.

That's why I went to the formula of deducting shipping from my top bid and if it means the item doesn't sell for more ... so be it. Problem solved. :)

that makes sense. on impulse - what else - i bid on an old personal - $10 or so. then shipping was 3.50. i am paying a third of what the coin cost again in shipping. my bad, i should have looked first. but i am through buying on ebay unless it is so fantabulous i have to have it if the shipping stays high.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

I've no idea, what you're complaining about.

I have just sent two missions from Germany to the USA, insured parcel for €36, which is about $48.

No surprise, that no many want to participate in a mission, if insured postage is such astronomic...

The content was less that postage. :sad:

that makes sense. on impulse - what else - i bid on an old personal - $10 or so. then shipping was 3.50. i am paying a third of what the coin cost again in shipping. my bad, i should have looked first. but i am through buying on ebay unless it is so fantabulous i have to have it if the shipping stays high.

It's not just the e-place. I recently bought 2 Midnight Madness coins from Oakcoins, less than $20 for the items. Their invoiced "shipping and handling" was $4.91 - that's 2 coins in the same envelope and still almost $5.

Another order from Landsharkz (Can to US) for 4 Travel Tags (not heavy coins) was shipping & handling at $8.90 ... (needed them for a project)

Coins and Pins is shipping me an Eagle travel tag ($4.59) for First Class Mail $2.32 and $1.50 handling - total of $3.82 and they don't have to pay ebay fees.

The last coin I got from them was the Maker coin (less than $10), shipping & handling was still $3.82 total.

That makes e-place shipping costs seem like a bargain ... :lol:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Many of the Geocoins that I see on online bidding sites charge $10 to ship one coin from the US to Canada.

i think that's nuts too.

Yes, $10 is too high. But actual costs for a small packet by USPS - US to Can is $6.85 Min weight, no insurance. You can get it down to $2.32 (iirc) if the thickness doesn't exceed the max for a 'letter' rate. Most coins in a padded envelope will exceed the letter rate max thickness. Don't know how much more it would be to add insurance. One of the regulars on the coin forum uses an online insurance place and they charge $1.50 for each one. So ... if you add the $6.85 and the $1.50 it's already $8.35 without any shipping materials.

I have just sent two missions from Germany to the USA, insured parcel for €36, which is about $48.

No surprise, that no many want to participate in a mission, if insured postage is such astronomic...

A good point. During the mathtrade I had to send 5 packages international. Canada was cheapest at $6.85 (uninsured). All the Euro destinations were $13.85 each (uninsured). One was higher because it was heavier and had 2 coins in the original boxes and a larger padded envelope.

All in all ... is the shipping still too high? Maybe you want to reconsider that 1/3 of the coin cost is added shipping. To make it better ... the sellers could raise their coin prices ... :o:laughing:

The old saying may hold true here ... be careful what you ask for .....

That's what I do also. When I see a coin of interest I determine how much I wish to pay for it including declared shipping and then I bid accordingly. For me it matters not whether I pay $20 for the coin and $5 for shipping or $10 for the coin and $15 for shipping; 25=25...

Edited by Murazor

That's what I do also. When I see a coin of interest I determine how much I wish to pay for it including declared shipping and then I bid accordingly. For me it matters not whether I pay $20 for the coin and $5 for shipping or $10 for the coin and $15 for shipping; 25=25...

Agree, for me my maximum bid is a combination of the coin price and total shipping costs. if the sum of it is higher then the max price i want to pay i stop bidding. I have seen single coins on the eBidding place having shipping costs of 25$.....

Let's take a look at the numbers.

If a seller is asking $3.50 to ship a single coin from one location to another in the US:

$0.32 goes to eBay (9% fee)

$0.40 goes to Paypal (2.9% + .30 fee)

$2.32 for USPS first class parcel (the cheapest rate)

The seller is receiving $0.46 for packaging, labels, and possibly gas money to get to the post office.

You may feel this is gouging, I'm not sure. But they're not getting rich off of it. I don't understand why you feel it is a crime to pay a third again the cost of the coin for shipping, but have no problem requiring the seller to lose a third the cost of the coin.

If sellers increase their starting price to include the shipping, you're still paying the same amount if you want that coin. And what about sellers that sell internationally? If you want to see 'free shipping' on a listing, that means the seller will have to build in possible international shipping rates into their starting price. That $10 coin will now have to be listed at $18.00. Including the shipping fee in starting price also removes the option to combine shipping charges if you buy more than one coin from a seller.

Agree, for me my maximum bid is a combination of the coin price and total shipping costs. if the sum of it is higher then the max price i want to pay i stop bidding. I have seen single coins on the eBidding place having shipping costs of 25$.....

ok, makes sense. i just have to start looking at it that way. :-) i did do that recently for a coin from overseas. the total was within what i wanted to pay. have to think that way in US.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Shipping costs have gotten crazy!

It has always been expensive for me to ship from New Zealand, and it keeps going up, but not to the same degree as else where.

It costs me (postage alone) $NZ13.45 to post a single geocoin. (But then I can usually ship 3 geocoins for that same $NZ13.45)

I can't afford to add anything onto that to recoup PayPal and eBay fees, let along the bubble mail (another $1), gas, etc.

I charge $US11.25 for postage - that comes out to c. $NZ12.95 - YIKES! I must be loosing $2 to $3 on each and every item I ship!!!

But none of you guys would entertain paying more than you pay now for shipping from NZ. And many of you proably don't entertain paying what I charge now. :(

Edited by keewee

Shipping costs have gotten crazy!

It has always been expensive for me to ship from New Zealand, and it keeps going up, but not to the same degree as else where.

It costs me (postage alone) $NZ13.45 to post a single geocoin. (But then I can usually ship 3 geocoins for that same $NZ13.45)

I can't afford to add anything onto that to recoup PayPal and eBay fees, let along the bubble mail (another $1), gas, etc.

I charge $US11.25 for postage - that comes out to c. $NZ12.95 - YIKES! I must be loosing $2 to $3 on each and every item I ship!!!

But none of you guys would entertain paying more than you pay now for shipping from NZ. And many of you proably don't entertain paying what I charge now. :(

Yep... you have some great coins on the e-place but the shipping is a killer . I have room in NJ if you want to move in for awhile B)

Let's take a look at the numbers.

If a seller is asking $3.50 to ship a single coin from one location to another in the US:

$0.32 goes to eBay (9% fee)

$0.40 goes to Paypal (2.9% + .30 fee)

$2.32 for USPS first class parcel (the cheapest rate)

The seller is receiving $0.46 for packaging, labels, and possibly gas money to get to the post office.

You may feel this is gouging, I'm not sure. But they're not getting rich off of it. I don't understand why you feel it is a crime to pay a third again the cost of the coin for shipping, but have no problem requiring the seller to lose a third the cost of the coin.

If sellers increase their starting price to include the shipping, you're still paying the same amount if you want that coin. And what about sellers that sell internationally? If you want to see 'free shipping' on a listing, that means the seller will have to build in possible international shipping rates into their starting price. That $10 coin will now have to be listed at $18.00. Including the shipping fee in starting price also removes the option to combine shipping charges if you buy more than one coin from a seller.

i have to extend my abject apologies to those who have upped their shipping costs. usually i just pay the postage and not really pay much attention.

so today i paid attention. $2.32 for postage. $1.29 for mailer. ok, i could buy cheaper, but with as little as i sell the convenience of buying at the post office is a choice. tape to put on the address label. gas. AND if you add tracking, that is another $1.05. don't ask me why i felt it necessary to add tracking to a $10 coin.

to canada - $7.52 for a coin. add the above and you are at about $10 for shipping to canada. i understand it is NOT nuts.

so $3.50 seems like a pretty good price for shipping.

my BAD!

as from NZ - i add the cost of shipping to the cost of the coin - if it fits in the budget then all is cool. if not, i am so sorry for keewee.

It's not just the e-place. I recently bought 2 Midnight Madness coins from Oakcoins, less than $20 for the items. Their invoiced "shipping and handling" was $4.91 - that's 2 coins in the same envelope and still almost $5.

Another order from Landsharkz (Can to US) for 4 Travel Tags (not heavy coins) was shipping & handling at $8.90 ... (needed them for a project)

Coins and Pins is shipping me an Eagle travel tag ($4.59) for First Class Mail $2.32 and $1.50 handling - total of $3.82 and they don't have to pay ebay fees.

The last coin I got from them was the Maker coin (less than $10), shipping & handling was still $3.82 total.

That makes e-place shipping costs seem like a bargain ... :lol:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Many of the Geocoins that I see on online bidding sites charge $10 to ship one coin from the US to Canada.

i think that's nuts too.

Yes, $10 is too high. But actual costs for a small packet by USPS - US to Can is $6.85 Min weight, no insurance. You can get it down to $2.32 (iirc) if the thickness doesn't exceed the max for a 'letter' rate. Most coins in a padded envelope will exceed the letter rate max thickness. Don't know how much more it would be to add insurance. One of the regulars on the coin forum uses an online insurance place and they charge $1.50 for each one. So ... if you add the $6.85 and the $1.50 it's already $8.35 without any shipping materials.

A good point. During the mathtrade I had to send 5 packages international. Canada was cheapest at $6.85 (uninsured). All the Euro destinations were $13.85 each (uninsured). One was higher because it was heavier and had 2 coins in the original boxes and a larger padded envelope.

All in all ... is the shipping still too high? Maybe you want to reconsider that 1/3 of the coin cost is added shipping. To make it better ... the sellers could raise their coin prices ... :o:laughing:

The old saying may hold true here ... be careful what you ask for .....

Then we come to the guy with a huge Gas Pump coin that weighs a ton. Not sure $3.50 will be enough for it at 5" x 2" x 8mm thick and 2 tags.. I am sure it will most likely be $15 for International. I sure hope you will get them at the events and save the money and yelling at me for the price the post office gives us. It could be compared to gasoline. Can they sell it for $1.99 a gallon? Sure but why would the execs want to live a blue collar life when they know we are used to it and will pay it if we want to drive?

-[snipped]

Then we come to the guy with a huge Gas Pump coin that weighs a ton. Not sure $3.50 will be enough for it at 5" x 2" x 8mm thick and 2 tags.. I am sure it will most likely be $15 for International. I sure hope you will get them at the events and save the money and yelling at me for the price the post office gives us. It could be compared to gasoline. Can they sell it for $1.99 a gallon? Sure but why would the execs want to live a blue collar life when they know we are used to it and will pay it if we want to drive?

A whole different world, I think.

$3.50 (imo) isn't all that bad, as explained in an earlier post. Prices of everything have skyrocketed ... What I think someone objected to was the small-ish (1.5" to 1.75") coins off e-place drawing small profit margins in addition to the coin prices.

Considering the projected size or your pumps ... pumping up the shipping would be expected. USPS CONUS shipping will likely be best in either a padded Priority Flat Rate envelope for $5.95 or in a small Priority Flat Rate box for $5.60 - all other options seem pretty much off the table due to the thickness.

This makes a case for ordering more than one pumper just to get several in one Flat Rate box - all quantities more than 'one' - shipped 'FREE' ... :D

International ... ?? ... buy a plane ticket and arrange pick-up in Missouri. It will be the cheapest option ... :blink:

Shipping has definitely gone way, WAY up in the last couple years. Something else started happening with an alarming rise in frequency. People started claiming to not get the coins that were supposed to be delivered. So now shippers are often adding insurance and tracking at additional cost as well. I thought that would fix things for good, but was surprised when more than once I had to remind a person who claimed "they never arrived" that I had purchased tracking and confirmation and could tell them within the minute when the coin arrived. Oddly, never heard from those people again. <_<

International shipping seems to have skyrocketed in the last 18 months, too. I used to trade a coin to Germany for abour $4 or so. I sent one not to long ago for $9.60 and that was the cheapest available rate. :blink:

Cheapest I've shipped to Germany recently in a padded envelope is $12+. Last mathtrade with 5 International destinations our shipping was over $65 and that's with none of the non-US coins insured or registered.

edit: another consideration is that many of the coins are not just 'coins' anymore. They are larger, thicker, and heavier = increased shipping costs.

Edited by nevadanick

Shipping has definitely gone way, WAY up in the last couple years. Something else started happening with an alarming rise in frequency. People started claiming to not get the coins that were supposed to be delivered. So now shippers are often adding insurance and tracking at additional cost as well. I thought that would fix things for good, but was surprised when more than once I had to remind a person who claimed "they never arrived" that I had purchased tracking and confirmation and could tell them within the minute when the coin arrived. Oddly, never heard from those people again. <_<

International shipping seems to have skyrocketed in the last 18 months, too. I used to trade a coin to Germany for abour $4 or so. I sent one not to long ago for $9.60 and that was the cheapest available rate. :blink:

Yep that happened for me too. I pretty much always use paypal shipping to send coins. It is a little cheaper but the tracking is free. After "losing" three expensive coins to Germany I now insure all international packages using insurepost.com. Since I started that I haven't lost one package of course. But it gives me piece of mind. the insurance is $1.50/$100 international and $1.05/$100 domestic. It helps now too that a lot of the international packages can be tracked using the customs number. The fact that the package is insured isn't marked on it if insuring this way.