How do I zero in on this one?

jfpinell

Stuck with (kinda') the same issue. Thought I'd try asking for advice.

N 09.825 W 04.492 I can find N but there is NO road that goes towards the other coordinate in town. I ended up backtracking about 2 or 3 miles yesterday trying to narrow down W but wound way back on the main hi-way with no road leading back towards N (well in this case I'd have to go S to get to back to it). Again, NO road leading that way. To me it seems like the only option would be to walk miles towards either N or W either of which would mean going across country, as the crow flies....however you wanna' say it. The way the town here is set up road wise, I can travel down a road to find N but oddly enough all the side roads from that N/S road lead off in the OTHER direction. (You'd think there'd be more cross street heading in BOTH directions.) :/

So I decided to follow the N/S road as far as it went looking for a W/E road until I came to the main street in town which only lead out to the main hi-way as a cross road. Well. went W on that but when I got to point W it was WAY out of town With only businesses on 1 side and walking trails on the other (also all going E/W) if I would've tried to walk S I would've walked through tons of forest land, private backyards, and such (which walking through people's backyards I think would be a no-no.)

Anyone around Brillion, Wis. with advice?

Edited by jfpinell

I'd suspect the Cache Owner is around Brillion, Wis. with advice. If you can't contact the Cache Owner, some information about which cache you're referring to, would be useful.

And make cache logs. If you can't find a cache, submit a DNF log. In this case, you can't find the cache. If you find it, make the appropriate log. This keeps all information in context, and related to the cache you're searching for.

Unless you read and use the advice you're given, you'll have trouble finding Geocaches. You must first get a handle on how your GPSr works. It's not a toy.

Edited by kunarion

I'd suspect the Cache Owner is around Brillion, Wis. with advice. If you can't contact the Cache Owner, some information about which cache you're referring to, would be useful.

And make cache logs. If you can't find a cache, submit a DNF log. In this case, you can't find the cache. If you find it, make the appropriate log. This keeps all information in context, and related to the cache you're searching for.

Well, it wasn't the thing in & of itself I couldn't find, it was the area to start with (I think it's called "doughboy"). That's why I didn't think a no find note would be appropriate. I thought those were for if you didn't find the thing after actually looking for it, not just not getting there.

So say a road is under major construction or a bridge leading to it is out. That would be a no find log too?

The way I was reading it, no find logs were to help indicate if it might be missing or moved (or gotten blown down & buried or who knows). Not that it has anything to do with finding the LOCATION of coordinates If you follow the way I'm thinking.

So say a road is under major construction or a bridge leading to it is out. That would be a no find log too?

The way I was reading it, no find logs were to help indicate if it might be missing or moved (or gotten blown down & buried or who knows). Not that it has anything to do with finding the LOCATION of coordinates If you follow the way I'm thinking.

I don't think any of us can follow the way you are thinking (or want to).

1) Learn the proper way to use your GPS. If using it properly, you will hardly ever need to use the satellite page

2) Finding the proper way to get to the cache location is often a big part of the hunt

3) Put the coordinates in Google maps and use the satellite view

4) Start with easier caches. I don't believe you have found a single cache, and I'm not sure you are even trying.

Stuck with (kinda') the same issue. Thought I'd try asking for advice.

N 09.825 W 04.492

If I'm not mistaken, you would need to be in a different country for those coordinates to be useful.

The coordinates for a recently published cache in Wisconsin, for example, are:

N 42° 46.718 W 089° 18.582

Yet another thread about not understanding how to use the coordinates? Did you understand the advice given to you in the other thread?

It would be much simpler if you gave us the GC code of the cache in question. That way, we could see the cache page and see if it's disabled, or the if the cache owner posted any notes, hints, etc.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You mean the "GCM5XE"?

N 44° 09.825 W 088° 04.492......those are the #'s taken from it.

Yes, that's it exactly.

http://coord.info/GCM5XE

It's a multicache. So those coordinates are the "starting point".

If the area is inaccessible due to road construction, then you can post a "write note" log to explain that.

It's not necessarily a "DNF" because you can't get to the location.

Posting a note on the cache page to explain about the road construction would be helpful to the cache owner and to other cachers. (I'm assuming that you can't take Fairway Drive to Sunset Drive to avoid the construction.)

Have you read the Help Center article that outlines the different log types?

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

4.2. What log type should I use?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=534

B.

Okay.

Go to Highway PP (Fairway Drive). Between Valley View Dr and Clearwater Dr, I assume there's a cemetery there given the cache description. Ah - if I use Google Maps, I see the road is Sunset Drive. And if I use the Google Earth satellite view, I see that it IS a cemetery. Park on one of the little lanes in the cemetery, or on Sunset Drive.

Get out of your car.

Use your GPS to navigate to the gravesite at the coordinates. From the Google Earth view, it looks like it's the first grave next to a little lane. Verify you have the right grave by reading the cache description - it tells what day he died.

Do the math in the cache description to get the coordinates of the final stage. It might be in the same cemetery, meaning you won't have to drive anywhere. (From the other logs, it looks like that is the case.) Navigate to it by using your GPS and walking.

I thought those were for if you didn't find the thing after actually looking for it, not just not getting there.
Some people log a DNF whenever they "press GO" on their GPS receivers, but don't find the cache. Personally, I log a DNF only if I get to ground zero, search for the cache, and don't find it. If I never get to ground zero, but there's still a story to tell, then I post a DNS (Did Not Search) as a Note. But back to the original topic...

I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be. I've never met anyone who successfully navigates by matching up the longitude (or latitude), and then traveling in a straight line until the latitude (or longitude) also matches.

Some people use online maps, paper maps, and/or electronic maps loaded into their GPS receivers. Some people "just follow the arrow" without using maps to view the terrain between them and the destination. But they all view the coordinates as a single location, and travel towards it. They don't split the coordinates in two halves and use the two halves separately.

I log a DNF only if I get to ground zero, search for the cache, and don't find it.

I thought it would be a bad idea in this case to suggest even more reasons to not make any log. But I'll defer to your expertise. This is all yours now.

Edited by kunarion

I thought those were for if you didn't find the thing after actually looking for it, not just not getting there.

You are mistaken about many things.

That may be true, but a DNF is not right here. A note MAY be - but not if the difficulty will not affect any other cachers. Let's have the cache # so we can get specific.

Okay.

Go to Highway PP (Fairway Drive). Between Valley View Dr and Clearwater Dr, I assume there's a cemetery there given the cache description. Ah - if I use Google Maps, I see the road is Sunset Drive. And if I use the Google Earth satellite view, I see that it IS a cemetery. Park on one of the little lanes in the cemetery, or on Sunset Drive.

Get out of your car.

Use your GPS to navigate to the gravesite at the coordinates. From the Google Earth view, it looks like it's the first grave next to a little lane. Verify you have the right grave by reading the cache description - it tells what day he died.

Do the math in the cache description to get the coordinates of the final stage. It might be in the same cemetery, meaning you won't have to drive anywhere. (From the other logs, it looks like that is the case.) Navigate to it by using your GPS and walking.

:D I just used the geocaching map on the cache page, and zoomed in. :D

It's a "Spirit Quest" cache, so yes, it's at or near a cemetary. B)

If there's some road construction going on, I don't think it would show up on any satellite maps or Google Earth.

Another suggestion for the OP...there's a couple of huge trail series of caches not far away. If you wanted to practice finding and logging caches, those would be a good place to start. They seem to all start with the word "Wayside".

B.

That may be true, but a DNF is not right here. A note MAY be - but not if the difficulty will not affect any other cachers. Let's have the cache # so we can get specific.

If there were any log at all on the cache page, the specifics would be apparent. If a DNF is a horrible idea, the Cache Owner or at least other locals can advise (and yes, I know it's probably a problem to ask that any logs be posted in this case, which could backfire, since there seem to be issues far beyond Geocaching). But if there's an issue, it is not helpful to suggest ways to perpetuate it. But go ahead and take it. I'm done.

Edited by kunarion

It's been posted, and we've been to the cache page.

B.

Yeah, just leave a note saying you can't get to the location...OK?

Also...I highly recommend finding at least one traditional cache before going for a multicache.

Hmm...Coincidentally, there is a another post with a very similiar the exact same question...by the exact same person. Perhaps try reading that for more help?huh.gifZero-ing in on both coordinates

Edited by ADKer

Of possible interest:

Helping Novices

Any program like this in Wisconsin? Tried going to a local event?

I tried pointing the OP to a trail series of caches that are close to him.

Instead of dragging another of his threads off-topic, we've got the GC code, so we know exactly which cache he is asking about in this thread. In other threads he's started, he's gotten the advice to seek out other cachers by attending events.

Arguing about whether he should post s DNF or a note isn't much help either. There is no "did not look" log type, so the "write note" log would be more appropriate in this particular circumstance.

Found It

Use if you found a geocache and physically signed the log sheet. Share your story and pictures. You can help future finders out by letting them know if the coordinates were off for you (because of trees, building bounce, etc) by stating where it was that you found the geocache (ex: 30 feet NW of GZ), or that you replaced a full log book for the cache owner, or that the container or place you found it didn't quite match the hint, or that you had the most amazing pie right across the street from the geocache - this is all stuff that will help future finders.

Didn't Find It (aka: DNF)

Use if you looked for a geocache and you couldn't find it. Share your story and let others know if you were able to see evidence of a critter making off with or destroying the geocache (half eaten lids), muggle activity (swag all spread out outside the geocache), or if you were just off your "caching game" for the day. It's best to remain humble in a DNF log - because we've learned that the geocache is most likely there...staring at you, mocking you, and waiting for you to come back and try again.

Bad example of a DNF: It's not there - I looked and looked...geocache is gone.

Good example of a DNF: Bummer! We looked and looked for this one today. Guess we'll have to come back and try again another day.

It is important to post a DNF. If a cache owner sees a string of DNFs on the geocache page they will usually check to see if it is still there. Also, it will alert other finders of the possibility that the geocache either is missing or super tough to find.

Write Note

There are many reasons to write a note, including:

You are a cache owner and just checked on your geocache to make sure it is there. (some cache owners prefer to use a Owner Maintenance log for this, instead)

You visited a Challenge Cache that you don't yet qualify for and signed the log, but are not allowed to log a 'Found It' on it yet. You can let others know that you visited the geocache, signed the log, and are excited to log it as 'Found' someday.

You are dropping a Trackable into the geocache, but you have already logged a find on it.

News or relevant information. (ex: "wildfire in area - you may want to disable this geocache for now", "beehive next to geocache - we left without looking for it", "road closed", etc.)

Needs Maintenance

Use along with a 'Found It' log to report a geocache that needs a little love from it's cache owner. Cracked geocache, log is mush, etc. Many times other geocachers will help out and replace a log, but sometimes you get caught empty-handed and need to let the owner or future finders know.

This may be used with a DNF log, sparingly, to let a cache owner know that you and others have been to the location MANY times and that there is a string of DNFs..."It seems like a bunch of people are having trouble with this one lately. Would the cache owner mind checking on it, please?" is an appropriate way to phrase the request when posting a Needs Maintenance log with your DNF log.

Needs Archived

Use super RARELY under these circumstances (a flippant/fake NA log can be offensive to cache owners):

If you have found a geocache that was placed illegally on private property, without permission, and/or the property owners or law enforcement expressed concerns to you during your search.

If you have found a geocache where aggressive searching activity is causing damage to the surrounding area or the geocache placement damages or defaces property.

If a geocache already has MANY DNFs, Needs Maintenance logs (with no cache owner response), and is without a genuine find for a very long time.

A Needs Archived log will alert both the local volunteer reviewer and the geocache owner to the issue.

Will Attend

Use to let the cache owner of the event know that you plan on attending - it's an RSVP of sorts. Mention how many will be with you and if you have kiddos that will be attending. All of this information helps the Event Cache owner plan.

Attended

Use as a "Found it" log for an event that you have attended - a great opportunity to tell the event planners "THANK YOU" for planning a fun event.

Webcam Photo Taken

Use as a "Found it" log for a Webcam that you have successfully captured a photo on.

For additional information regarding log types for geocache owners please see the article on Managing Your Geocache Listing

B.

the "write note" log would be more appropriate in this particular circumstance.

Excellent. Show Me The Note. :ph34r:

?

Not sure I understand what you're getting at.

I was suggesting that the OP post a "write note" log. He hasn't done so as yet.

Posting a note about road construction could be helpful to the cache owner. The CO may decide to disable the cache until the construction is completed, if it is an impediment to folks looking for his cache.

B.

Of possible interest:

Helping Novices

Any program like this in Wisconsin? Tried going to a local event?

There is a nearby one tomorrow, suggested and a page link provided (in on of the many other threads).

We shall see...

OP, go to that event tomorrow!

All the traffic your dozen threads are causing is overheating the servers. We don't want them to crash.

I don't think there's construction in the area of this particular cache. I think the OP was asking hypothetically, "If there's construction or a bridge is out, I'm supposed to log a DNF?" rather than "I can't get to the cemetery because of road construction. What do I do?"

Not sure I understand what you're getting at.

I was suggesting that the OP post a "write note" log. He hasn't done so as yet.

I was getting at that very thing. There sure are a lot of ideas... unheeded.

It's hard for me to believe that only remaining issue was to define the subtle difference between a log about not finding cache and having problems finding a cache. Considering the fact that the OP is making no logs at all, I see no reason for anyone to bring up the nuances of which specific log to make. But I'll assume there was value to that, and will leave this Thread to more capable hands.

Edited by kunarion

If the only road to the cache is closed, then yes you should note it in the logs.

Now in the OP's case, if you haven't looked at a map and you come to a road closed (possibly no where near the cache) then no you don't need to log that.

Breaking news

Jfpinell, have a seat. Your problem is solved. If this doesn't solve it, nothing will. If you think about this, it will sink in, change your caching and change your life.

You're a farmer. I'll give you an example that relates to your life. It will seem simple, but give it a day to sink in. By the time tomorrow's GC event is over, you'll be a bona fide cacher (& the threads will become ho-hum once again). :laughing:

Picture this: you're in a corner of a field, & the tractor is in the diagonally-opposite corner. Got the image?

Now, to get to the tractor, do you walk along 2 sides of the field? Or do you walk diagonally across the field?

If #1, forget caching. If #2, you can learn to do that with your "toy."

The people at tomorrow's gathering will help show you how.

You mean the "GCM5XE"?

N 44° 09.825 W 088° 04.492......those are the #'s taken from it.

Yes, that's it exactly.

http://coord.info/GCM5XE

It's a multicache. So those coordinates are the "starting point".

If the area is inaccessible due to road construction, then you can post a "write note" log to explain that.

It's not necessarily a "DNF" because you can't get to the location.

Posting a note on the cache page to explain about the road construction would be helpful to the cache owner and to other cachers. (I'm assuming that you can't take Fairway Drive to Sunset Drive to avoid the construction.)

Have you read the Help Center article that outlines the different log types?

Help Center → Finding a Geocache → Logging a Geocache

B.

Sorry....no construction here (that I know of). Just an example off the top of my head.

There's a sunset Drive here? :/

Breaking news

Jfpinell, have a seat. Your problem is solved. If this doesn't solve it, nothing will. If you think about this, it will sink in, change your caching and change your life.

You're a farmer. I'll give you an example that relates to your life. It will seem simple, but give it a day to sink in. By the time tomorrow's GC event is over, you'll be a bona fide cacher (& the threads will become ho-hum once again). :laughing:

Picture this: you're in a corner of a field, & the tractor is in the diagonally-opposite corner. Got the image?

Now, to get to the tractor, do you walk along 2 sides of the field? Or do you walk diagonally across the field?

Lemme' guess....are you a city kid? :) Apparently you don't realize how hard walking through 6' high corn stalks is trying to see what's ahead of you. Me, I'd take the easy way and walk AROUND.

By the way....If there's a rooster on top of a barn roof 34 degree slant on 1 side, 54 degree slant on the other and a 6 mph wind to the west, which way will the egg roll after it's laid? :lol:

Edited by jfpinell

Lemme' guess....are you a city kid? :) Apparently you don't realize how hard walking through 6' high corn stalks is trying to see what's ahead of you. Me, I'd take the easy way and walk AROUND.

By the way....If there's a rooster on top of a barn roof 34 degree slant on 1 side, 54 degree slant on the other and a 6 mph wind to the west, which way will the egg roll after it's laid? :lol:

Even a rocket surgeon knows that roosters won't lay an egg. Give us a break, please.

Breaking news

People are trying to help you and you are just concerned with being "cute." Some people are just either beyond help, or not worth helping because they won't help themselves.

Okay.

Get out of your car.

If there's some road construction going on, I don't think it would show up on any satellite maps or Google Earth.

Another suggestion for the OP...there's a couple of huge trail series of caches not far away. If you wanted to practice finding and logging caches, those would be a good place to start. They seem to all start with the word "Wayside".

B.

If it's the trail I'm thinking, I've read somewhere that is, or is going to be, about 100 miles long....UGH!

Oh. Ahhh, there are 2 or 3 cemeteries in that small area (they may all be inter-connected) at least 1 of the coordinates take me completely out of the cemetery onto private front yards or into corn fields (not too far from the Brillion water treatment thing which, by the way, I didn't find that one about 2 hours ago either. :) GC3BHH4 before I forget to mention. (See, it takes me awhile but...) :)

Edited by jfpinell

Okay.

Get out of your car.

B.

If it's the trail I'm thinking, I've read somewhere that is, or is going to be, about 100 miles long....UGH!

Oh. Ahhh, there are 2 or 3 cemeteries in that small area (they may all be inter-connected) at least 1 of the coordinates take me completely out of the cemetery onto private front yards or into corn fields (not too far from the Brillion water treatment thing which, by the way, I didn't find that one about 2 hours ago either. :)

You need in person help. Go to the event and get it.

Is it that hard to use a map? Some caches are so easy you don't even need a GPS. Either view the cache map on the geocache page or put the coords into maps.google.com. You can see where the cache is. Heck google can even give you driving directions.

Okay.

Get out of your car.

B.

Oh. Ahhh, there are 2 or 3 cemeteries in that small area (they may all be inter-connected) at least 1 of the coordinates take me completely out of the cemetery onto private front yards or into corn fields (not too far from the Brillion water treatment thing which, by the way, I didn't find that one about 2 hours ago either. :)

You need in person help. Go to the event and get it.

I'm tempted if I can find it. Maybe I'll enter the coordinates in my toy to make sure I get there..... :)

(That's just GOTTA' get a comeback out of someone)

By the way, so I don't start another string of stuff maybe I should ask here....I think I figured out the logging stuff but where do I find the icon thing to click on to log?

Even a rocket surgeon knows that roosters won't lay an egg. Give us a break, please.

You'd actually be surprised how many city kids I manage to get on that one! In fact, there's 1 that I've been telling this to for years and she STILL keeps getting confused everytime I bring it up. (Which is the FUN of it with her)

Sorry....no construction here (that I know of). Just an example off the top of my head.

What? Why did you bring "road construction" into this thread, in conjunction with the cache you gave the GC code for?

I was trying to take you seriously, and give you some help.

Now I feel like I've been trolled.

I'm not sure why you're wasting all this time on the forum. Or why you insist on pretending to need help.

I give up. You're obviously just here to "fool around" and aren't interested in learning about caching at all.

phhhttt

B.

You'd actually be surprised how many city kids I manage to get on that one! In fact, there's 1 that I've been telling this to for years and she STILL keeps getting confused everytime I bring it up. (Which is the FUN of it with her)

《Sigh》

The game's just about up.There's more between the troll's OP'S ears than we see at third glance.

Apparently I'm getting closer. Found that big statute that I think was even showing on the hint area. But after doing the math, it took me into what looked like it was out of bounds in the cemetery and then trying to go the other direction I would up about 5 away before I ran into a fence (obviously private property.)

What? Why did you bring "road construction" into this thread, in conjunction with the cache you gave the GC code for?

I was trying to take you seriously, and give you some help.

Now I feel like I've been trolled.

I'm not sure why you're wasting all this time on the forum. Or why you insist on pretending to need help.

I give up. You're obviously just here to "fool around" and aren't interested in learning about caching at all.

phhhttt

B.

As I said "just an example off the top of my had". I think several others have said words to that effect here too.

I'm tempted if I can find it. Maybe I'll enter the coordinates in my toy to make sure I get there..... :)

(That's just GOTTA' get a comeback out of someone)

By the way, so I don't start another string of stuff maybe I should ask here....I think I figured out the logging stuff but where do I find the icon thing to click on to log?

blink.gif

But after doing the math, it took me into what looked like it was out of bounds in the cemetery and then trying to go the other direction I would up about 5 away before I ran into a fence (obviously private property.)
Given that it's a multi-cache that starts in a cemetery, I would expect the final coordinates to be outside the cemetery. The whole point of creating a multi-cache in situations like this is usually to take seekers to a location within the cemetery (e.g., the gravestone of a significant individual, or a memorial of historical significance) but to hide the cache itself outside the cemetery.

If the final coordinates appear to be about 5ft on the other side of a fence (private property), then keep in mind that under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. I've found a number of caches that were along a fence, when the arrow was pointing 5-15ft on the other side of the fence.

jfpinell,

Follow the directions that I gave here:

Geocaching instructions

The owner's manual for your "toy" with the pages I referenced is here:

eTrex10 manual

Also, attend this local geocaching event tomorrow and ask for help from other geocachers:

Appleton geocaching event

Here's a road map showing the location of the event at Lions Park in Appleton:

1a313329-90c1-42ab-b7ba-e5f8edfe2773.jpg

If you really want to learn, you will do these things and stop posting on these forums. We really can't help you any more than we have already. Other learning will need to be on your own with the information provided to you, or with face-to-face instruction (tomorrow's event). If you don't do this, then it's a clear indication that you are not trying and are just trolling for attention. The folks here have had enough of it.

Edited by medoug

BTW....

Steps 1d, 1e, and 3 in my instructions would have got you to the cemetery where the cache in question starts at. All you needed to do is follow those instructions with your computer. Your GPSr (or "toy") is not even required to drive and park near the cache.

Also, as others have mentioned, you are looking for:

a. a nano

b. a multi

c. a bit of a puzzle (calculations required)

d. a difficulty 3-star cache.

None of these are what you should be looking for as a beginning cacher. Instead, you should first attempt caches that are:

a. small, medium, or large (ideally medium)

b. regular

c. no calculations, puzzle, or extra steps required (keep it simple)

d. a difficulty of 2-stars or less (ideally 1 or 1.5 starts)

e. an active cache which also shows that cachers are "finding" it in recent logs.

BTW....

Steps 1d, 1e, and 3 in my instructions would have got you to the cemetery where the cache in question starts at. All you needed to do is follow those instructions with your computer. Your GPSr (or "toy") is not even required to drive and park near the cache.

a. a nano

b. a multi

None of these are what you should be looking for as a beginning cacher. Instead, you should first attempt caches that are:

a. small, REGULAR, or large (ideally REGULAR)

b. TRADITIONAL

e. an active cache which also shows that cachers are "finding" it in recent logs.

Fixed it for you.

jfpinell,

Follow the directions that I gave here:

Geocaching instructions

The owner's manual for your "toy" with the pages I referenced is here:

eTrex10 manual

Also, attend this local geocaching event tomorrow and ask for help from other geocachers:

Appleton geocaching event

Here's a road map showing the location of the event at Lions Park in Appleton:

1a313329-90c1-42ab-b7ba-e5f8edfe2773.jpg

If you really want to learn, you will do these things and stop posting on these forums. We really can't help you any more than we have already. Other learning will need to be on your own with the information provided to you, or with face-to-face instruction (tomorrow's event). Don't do this, and it's a clear indication that you are not trying and are just trolling for attention. The folks here have had enough of it.

I believe I know where much of the problem lies, but it's nothing appropriate to be discussed in open forum. message or I.M. or whatever the term here is, me and I'll fill in the strange pieces, if you will.

BTW....

a. a nano

b. a multi

a. small, REGULAR, or large (ideally REGULAR)

b. TRADITIONAL

Fixed it for you.

Oh I got to the cemetery (I'm not yet familiar with all the roads here in town -if that says anything). I found that stone and did the math. (I actually did 1 of these with someone once so I had an idea) That much I (finally) got :)

Being this new at this stuff, it just makes me hesitant to go in certain areas (like what seems like it might be someone's backyard, like it did after I passed the last set of stones by the fruit trees. After that is when I'm like; "Uhhh, they don't plant these in public cemetery grounds. I'm not sure if I should be back this far." Then I seen some other stuff sticking around that seemed to indicate further that this is as far as I dare go.

I have been wondering if my toy might be off. Is there a way to check that? Maybe that's where part of the error is coming in....?

With ALL of the advice, tips and other help you have been given here, it would seem to many that "much of the problem lies" with YOU and YOUR lack of listening to the help. Why do you think a private message will help?

To spell it out a little bit better, here is a post by niraD. It offers some of the BEST advice for new cachers, in a VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND format.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

With ALL of the advice, tips and other help you have been given here, it would seem to many that "much of the problem lies" with YOU and YOUR lack of listening to the help. Why do you think a private message will help?

To spell it out a little bit better, here is a post by niraD. It offers some of the BEST advice for new cachers, in a VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND format.

He'll see why (or anyone will) if they do so.