Etrex 20 Geocaches in memory, but not showing up.

Gui1973

I had a bunch of geocaches loaded that worked fine for over a year. (from free account geocaching.com)

Today I got a premium membership.

I downloaded some GPX files from pocket query.

Using EasyGPS I sent them to the GPS (I know now this may not be the best way).

Disconnecting from USB, it cannot find any geocaches.

Connecting to EasyGPS it sees everything fine.

In Windows explorer I see the file I uploaded today.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Gui1973

Humm, do you know how many caches fit on your gps?

I use GSAK and a differnt gps so I'm doing some guessing.

I believe it's 5000, and I downloaded 4323 today. I'll try deleting all my old ones and see if today's file shows up.

Can I easily rename the GPX file - it has some dashes and underscores that may be causing the issue?

Edited by Gui1973

OK it looks like the re-naming thing worked - I can now see some caches. But I've been thinking if I didn't totally make a mess with how I imported the files.

I downloaded 10 PQ's. Each with 1000 geocaches.

I imported all 20 GPX files (each PQ had 2 files) into Easy GPS. It imported 4323 caches instead of 10,000 - I'm assuming it removed all the duplicates.

I saved all 4323 cashes to a single GPX file.

Sent the single GPX file to gpsr.

(then it didn't recognize the file name so I renamed it on the gpsr and it worked. But I'm wondering if I lost the info in the wpts GPX files).

Should I just have copied all original 20 GPX files untouched from the PQs? Or will this import all the duplicates too?

Edited by Gui1973

Should I just have copied all original 20 GPX files untouched from the PQs? Or will this import all the duplicates too?

I use an Oregon, and I export everything to it in one big GPX. The Garmin should remove duplicates on its own, but I'm not sure how it will handle 10k caches with duplicates.

BTW, if you're viewing caches, you will not find those beyond a certain distance. For those caches, check the map.

BTW, if you're viewing caches, you will not find those beyond a certain distance. For those caches, check the map.

Not true on the Etrex 20/30. They will all show on the cache list, regardless of distance, if you are patient enough to scroll through the list.

dadgum it, Garmin, can't you implement a bug correctly across all platforms? :) Thanks for the info.

Not true on the Etrex 20/30. They will all show on the cache list, regardless of distance, if you are patient enough to scroll through the list.

dadgum it, Garmin, can't you implement a bug correctly across all platforms? :) Thanks for the info.

We should be so lucky. Thanks for making my day!!! :D