Release Notes - July 23, 2014

We are definitely listening to you and your opinions. Based on the feedback we are receiving here and elsewhere, we will be making some changes today to correct some of the issues that people have raised. Please hold off on updating your email filters until the dust settles, and thank you for your patience!

What?!? My existence is validated? This is an outrage!

Wait, wut? We're being listened too? :blink:

Believe it when you see it and not before.

We are definitely listening to you and your opinions. Based on the feedback we are receiving here and elsewhere, we will be making some changes today to correct some of the issues that people have raised. Please hold off on updating your email filters until the dust settles, and thank you for your patience!

I've been here a while, I know the score. That's not blind optimism up there.

If they thought HTML was a great idea, we still may not see the end of this debate.

I think HTML email is the work of mindless marketing drones who think you aren't reading their content if it isn't done with style, panache, cliches, hip phrases and pretty pictures. I screen everything in Text for all my email accounts. I have done for the past 10 years. Groundspeak is only one vector of communication I receive and I'm not about the change how I read email because someone there think HTML is teh n00 awesumz.

If they thought HTML was a great idea, we still may not see the end of this debate.

I think HTML email is the work of mindless marketing drones who think you aren't reading their content if it isn't done with style, panache, cliches, hip phrases and pretty pictures. I screen everything in Text for all my email accounts. I have done for the past 10 years. Groundspeak is only one vector of communication I receive and I'm not about the change how I read email because someone there think HTML is teh n00 awesumz.

If they'd fix up the subject lines (ie restore them to the old ones, which carried all the necessary info and no fluff) and gave people the opportunity to opt out of the HTML body, then that would be spot-on. Based on Moun10Bike's post up there ^^^^, the first is possible.

We shall see.

Typos... :(

Edited by juc_cacher

If they'd fix up the subject lines (ie restore them to the old ones, which carried all the necessary info and no fluff) and gave people the opportunity to opt out of the HTML body, then that would be spot-on. Based on Moun10Bike's post up there ^^^^, the first is possible.

We shall see.

Typos... :(

Indeed. See my reference to "The Precious" in prior post. I hope HTML isn't their "Precious"

As it is, the weekly newsletters I largely don't read because they have been fish-wrapped in HTML style tags and such, which in my plain text reader are exceedingly difficult to read.

Compare, contrast, with the reply I got from the Lilypad:-

Hi there, Thank you for your feedback regarding the updates to the email notification system. We are currently working through some of the small hiccups, but overall we are very excited about the changes we made to modernize the email system. All of our notification emails going forward will be sent in HTML format, which most email providers support (e.g. gmail, outlook, etc). If you have already created email filters for the old game-triggered emails, you will have to update them to the appropriate new text. Thanks again for your feedback. Have a wonderful day! Kindly,

The arrogance is mind-boggling. Sorry, Moun10bike, while I'd love to believe the Frog is listening to us, the actions and words from HQ tell a different story.

I've seen this verbatim email from another source or two today, as well. What I'd like to know is why there won't be a user-selectable option allowing the customer to choose how they'd like to receive the emails? Not that I'm a person that walks around with a tin-foil hat worrying about Big Brother, but what habits are you tracking by forcing HTML emails on your client-base? I imagine there's something in the graphics that pings back to the Lilypad and lets The Design Team know what we're doing with the emails, so I wonder if those details could be divulged for the sake of disclosure?

Secondly, and perhaps this isn't as much of an issue elsewhere in the world, but in Canada our data plans for mobile phone users are rather expensive and often come with very few included MB/GB worth of data in the plan. As such, given that increasing a person's wireless data plan is somewhat restrictive from a monetary standpoint, what consideration was given to people in this scenario where the emails have jumped considerably in size? Yes, I would agree that most current email providers support HTML Formatting, and most people wouldn't have an issue if the sole place they went to for some "Oh Snap!" was their desktop computer, but I'm really not sure this is the case. People I know have 100MB total for their monthly data plan with no recourse other than to turn off/filter all notifications at the email provider level so that they don't incur overage charges since the new size will eat through their data bucket far too quickly. Perhaps that is ultimately Groundspeak's intent: If the masses hate them enough, they'll turn those notifications off and we won't have all that pesky bandwidth to pay for!

I think it's awesome that perhaps some of the changes will be tweaked, though I've yet to see anything concrete on that matter, but judging these forum boards and conversation on other social media site that I frequent, if Groundspeak aren't allowing a user-selectable email format, you simply aren't listening well enough.

We have just finished rolling out some changes to the email templates that revert the subject lines back to their previous format and make some small tweaks to the body contents.

Thanks for doing that. I'm intrigued.

Now I just need someone to log a find and I'll see how it goes.

^^ this. This this this.

I'm not expecting it to be fixed. Because Groundspeak.

I'm now contemplating the possibility of an email filter service which takes the HTML rubbish spewed from the Lilypad, formats it as sane text, and forwards it on to the cacher's real email address.....

We have just finished rolling out some changes to the email templates that revert the subject lines back to their previous format and make some small tweaks to the body contents.

Credit where credit is due, that's awesome news !

Thanks for listening guys ! You've taken a big step towards restoring my faith at least.

Credit where credit is due, that's awesome news !

Thanks for listening guys ! You've taken a big step towards restoring my faith at least.

While I agree that it's good that they're now listening to the members, it's still a bit like closing the barn door after the horse is already gone. Damage control is not a valid replacement for proper planning.

Like others, I now wait to see what the latest iteration looks like. Being a Thursday afternoon, there isn't a heck of a lot of activity in my area right now.

Edited by The A-Team

I appreciate all Groundspeak is doing to try to improve things and listen to their customers. So thank you for that and all your patience with the whining. :D:huh:

I don't mind the HTML. It looks nice.

1 request: Please make the font a wee bit bigger. Right now, I'm having to squint to read it and I'm not that old. The old font size was perfect.

Yes, I know I could fix that on my end, but then the fonts on my other emails would be ridiculously large.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Thanks!! for bringing the old subject line back. Looks good.

Edited by wesi

Thanks for the update Moun10Bike. I look forward to seeing how the updated changes look.

And thank you for wading through the wine & cheese in this thread and letting us know that constructive criticisms are heard... regardless of whatever degree to which people think they are. I don't envy your position ;)

Back to normalcy a tiny bit. Thanks.

Now, the Plain text/HTML email format selecting preferences...

Alright! I'm pleased to be proven wrong with my cynicism :D

Thanks, Moun10Bike. Best news I've ready here today. :smile:

Now, if those "small tweaks" could just include a text/plain alternative, I'd be happy. (I'd still have to strip off the text/html from within procmail, but I'd live with that.)

Edited by EngPhil

The phrase “Oh snap” was invented by a Disney type script so kids shows could include ‘cursing’ without actually using the famous four letter word that also starts with an ‘s’. I find this offensive in the notifications. Please remove this if you have not already. Players should be allowed to generate their own emotions when a cache in their circle is published, not have one thrown in their face. This first line is unnecessary. It is ridiculous that you are making us wade through so much “snap” to find what used to be available without having to scroll or actually navigate to a cache page to see.

Signed "one extremely unhappy 'client'".

Domo!!!

While the iron is still hot, can I ask for a bit more for the email 'upgrade'?

I would like to have the "distance from home location" added to the content. And of course, in the user-selected units, or have it in both SI & Imperial units. I know that this is included in the "Instant Notification" emails even now. I would like to see it in ALL Geocache emails: Watchlists & Bookmarks, etc.

And Yes, it would be even nicer to have this sent in the user-selected email format, Plain text or HTML. (Never multi-part emails, please.)

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

(Typos & additions....)

Edited by Dr.MORO

OK, subject line looks like it did before, which is a great start.

But content...

[image "Geocaching" ignored]   Marx Meadow (GC25DNW) [links to
http://coord.info/GC25DNW] has a new log: Logged by: Big Ten [links to
http://coord.info/PR5N36F] Log Type: Found it Date: 7/24/2014 Location: California, United
States Type: Traditional Cache Log [links to http://coord.info/GLEYP5A6]: Found with
Lookinginthefog today for our second find of the day, great cache, I recomend some
camoflauge, but still are great idea for a cache. Since I was young i loved this medow!
Thanks #68 For BiG10    Questions: Help [links to https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?
pg=kb] Contact Us [links to https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request]  |     Get
the App: iTunes [links to https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geocaching-intro/id329541503]
Google Play [links to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?
id=com.Groundspeak.geocaching.intro]  |     [image "Facebook" ignored] [links to
https://www.facebook.com/geocaching]  [image "Twitter" ignored] [links to
https://twitter.com/GoGeocaching]  [image "YouTube" ignored] [links to
https://www.youtube.com/user/GoGeocaching]  [image "Instagram" ignored] [links to
http://instagram.com/geocaching/]   ?2000-2014 Geocaching, a Groundspeak, Inc. [links to
http://www.geocaching.com/] Project. All Rights Reserved. 

This is still pretty horrendous to try picking out the relevant parts of.

Here is the format of a notification for a cache I just published in my home area. The first line is the subject line of the email. Underlined text indicates hyperlinks:

New Traditional Cache: Cache Name (GCCODE), 14.6mi E (23.4km E)

A new geocache was just published:

Name: Cache Name (GCCODE)

Created by: Owner Name

Type: Traditional Cache

Date: 7/24/2014

Distance: 14.6mi E (23.4km E)

Published by: Keystone

Edit the settings for your {Name of Instant Notification} instant notification.

Well, now that all the ruckus has dies down (mostly), I'd like to say that I enjoy that the name of the notification that triggered the notice is listed in the email!smile.gif

It was before the update. It was at the bottom, with all the links.

It had the link, but not the name of the specific notification.

Thanks for listening to us and making some changes! :D

I would like to see the text version back, but if you are going to stick with HTML, please make it mobile friendly!

The body is so wide now, that I have to use a microscope to read the text on my phone (unless I zoom in, that is a bit easier than using a microscope).

I'm seriously considering creating a email proxy that strips all the HTML, recreates the old links and removes stuff I don't want. Hopefully, I don't have to :)

The new format looks better.

I'm not sure I really want this, but it occurs to me that if you're going to send the e-mail as HTML, then wouldn't it make sense to expand any BBcode in the log instead of sending it verbatim like you did in the text e-mail?

Here is the format of a notification for a cache I just published in my home area. The first line is the subject line of the email. Underlined text indicates hyperlinks:

As I said in the Other Forum, this -- if sent as text/plain instead of HTML -- looks awesome. Better than the "traditional" notification. The HTML still kills it, but if that can be made optional, I'm sold.

I'd really like to see a change in the attitude of Groundspeak to the community.

We are here. Please ask for our input on planned changes. We're not unreasonable people (well, most of us aren't) We have a great deal at stake in changes, hence we applaud the good, but lament the not so good.

It's a far more efficient business process to get feedback on proposed and beta changes, rather than roll something like these notifications out and expect everyone to just gush their undying affection for change.

Personally, the old text format was extremely functional, to the point and clear. Who cares about pretty and verbose? I glance through email and delete it. I receive a great many each day and only use it to see if there's any content informing me something requires my attention.

+1

I'd really like to see a change in the attitude of Groundspeak to the community.

We are here. Please ask for our input on planned changes. We're not unreasonable people (well, most of us aren't) We have a great deal at stake in changes, hence we applaud the good, but lament the not so good.

It's a far more efficient business process to get feedback on proposed and beta changes, rather than roll something like these notifications out and expect everyone to just gush their undying affection for change.

Personally, the old text format was extremely functional, to the point and clear. Who cares about pretty and verbose? I glance through email and delete it. I receive a great many each day and only use it to see if there's any content informing me something requires my attention.

+1

+2 :)

I am really curious about where you are getting your data that these changes you keep making are wanted?

Generally when I see changes like this launched over and over, I figure the advice is coming from someone who really doesn't understand the demographic, system function or feels they're not earning their pay if there isn't a steady stream of change for the sake of it. Where I work we fight it like all heck.

I visited a friend at his work one day and they were ripping up the flooring in the office even though it looked good to me, seems they had a yearly budget for renovations and if they didn't spend it they were scared their budget could be reduced so they used it.

Although I understood the thinking,it just seemed completely idiotic to me, but then again I don't run a successful company.

LOL, I know it's off topic, (or maybe not), but they just removed 36' of our customer service counter at work and replaced it with 24'. Our three counter stations are now really crowded, and it's really hard to hear my customer, over the one standing in the the next station. It does look a lot prettier, though.

At least they didn't paint the thing green.

There are so many bad things about this change, but I won't list them as others have already done so above, so just add me to the list of unhappy customers.

Perfect fit of wording for me.

Moun10Bike, seriously: could Groundspeak revert these changes?

New format of e-mails is so terrible, that I could assume, that I will not to be able to monitor traffic on my caches and maintenance them responsibly, so I will have to archive them.

[ECHO]

I'm now contemplating the possibility of an email filter service which takes the HTML rubbish spewed from the Lilypad, formats it as sane text, and forwards it on to the cacher's real email address.....

:)

I received an TB owner notification yesterday evening. I can see from the Subject line that it's from before the rollback, but I believe the contents weren't reverted, so the following is still a valid point ...

XMAS PUZZLE ORANGE (TB3XHQB) has a new log!
                                  				Logged by: johnny lightning
                                                         Log Type: Dropped Off
                                        				Type: Advent IV Geocoin
                                                                 Log:
                                                           Happy geocaching,
                                            				Geocaching HQ

Apart from the completely crappy formatting when viewing this HTML snap in Lynx, can you spot what's missing that used to be in these emails?

Oh snap! I can't see which cache it was dropped in!

Edit to add: it would also be nice if the date format followed the user preferences instead of forcing your unusable US date format on the world at large.

Edited by Yellow ants

As you have seen with the publish notifications, we are experimenting with multi-part emails. We will see how the first set of tests go and then investigate to doing the same with other messages.

Couln't you have just asked us before making the changes? It seems worth the effort compared to the risk of negative feedback (such as what you have been receiving).

We can definitely re-assess the subject lines and content format based on feedback (only a fraction of which comes from the forums, by the way). Overall, though, the design team felt that most cachers preferred seeing the cache name called out first and foremost rather than the log owner name.

Is this based on any data that they collected at all?

The team felt that the benefits of releasing without that change outweighed the negatives of waiting another week, A-Team.

Again, did "the team" have any reason to feel this way, or was it a complete guess?

I'm reminded of two things when I read about how the User Community is only a small fraction of input and how a committee feels certain things deserve added weight by their own perception of merits.

In college I was introduced to "the precious concept". No, not the ring. The Precious was a passage in writing or a feature of product, which someone really, really loved and despite it distracting the reader or being a poor fit (or even buggy) in an end product, it is carried forward because someone refuses to yield, by having it eliminated or reworked. This evaluation of the merits of this change smacks of "the precious".

The other thing is Monopoly Breeds Failure. Since Groundspeak really has no other competition they are doing as they see fit with little apparent impact on the bottom line - the product is not better for some changes. I often look at eBay as the benchmark of this approach to Change - they were once a very easy service to use and they prospered wildly on the system they originally had in place. Now it's a vexing mess, whenever I try to find or sell something. Big bloated forms, features buried under cruft, complexity to the point of breaking software. What for? The world is still going to eBay because the world is already there. (Tho Alibaba may change that.)

This is so true. If, I, as a ten year member archive 130 caches over this, but the next day some guy puts 500 caches on a highway in Nebraska, and buys a membership. Gorundspeak's ahead in the game.

Edited by Don_J

thank you for changing back.

I promised you an example on my computer... Here you can see the advantage of the old version

http://www.widdi.de/widdi/gc/screenshot_emails.jpg

on the left side you see my directory structure for sorting. On the right pane you see, that the subject doesn't fit to an resolution of 1280x1024

the only problem, that stays... thunderbird protects me from foreign content (privacy) - you see the popup on top of the email text. This is something, I can configure in another way on thunderbird.

and on my smartphone I can read the subject again. It's a lot shorter

Edited by widdi
If I can't read it in mutt and have to haul out a GUI just to read what is, at the end of the day *just text*, it's of much less use to me.

Aye. You can substitute any of the various plain-text email/news programs in place of "mutt".

From a plain-text reading point of view, the important thing is to have the actual URL in any link's text part, so that it can (if necessary) be copied and pasted (or eyeballed and typed!) into a browser somewhere...

A link that prints (in plain text) simply as (for example) "Log" isn't a lot of use.

...and I still preferred the old [TAGGED] subject lines, but thanks for at least slightly reducing the length of the unnecessary guff.

The subject is back to old style for watchlist and notifications, except for publish new caches that stil has no TAG.

The publish notification should be handled the same as any other message generated for the same notification.

/HelgeLarsen

Edited by HelgeLarsen
Oh snap! A new geocache was just published!

After I opened a New Publication email I received, the above quote is the first thing I see and it makes me curious as to what the average age of a cacher is nowadays. Perhaps it's getting younger and I'm just some out of date old coot, but my belief is that the average user is old enough to remember when "Oh snap!" was common lingo, and it seems to me that 2014 is about 30 years after that phrase's peak. I imagine that someone on The Design Team thinks that this is a fun and cute and cuddly phrase that can be turned into a swag button or trackable to sell in the store, but to me it just seems unprofessional. Is the new target demographic 12 year olds? Who on earth says "Oh snap!" anymore? It was annoying back then and hasn't gotten any less annoying now.

WHAAAAAZUP!? A new geocache was just published!

Like ohmygod! Fershure! Gnarly! A new geocache was just published!

23 Skiddoo! A new geocache was just published!

I thought Oh Snap was so 90s... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, for us old coots:

Howdy Pard! Thar's a new saddlebag o' nostrums, 'Way Out Yonder', 3 hoots and a hollar west of the ol' gallows

Ugh! You get notification rock! It say Og publish new cache 'Sabretooth Travel Bone Hotel', long way to morning bright thing.

or, the ever popular

Message for you, Sir

I don't think I have ever logged in LOL this forum, but here I go.

Edited by Don_J

Many thanks for the revisions: this format looks more professional and is much more readable and usable. I particularly appreciate the addition of the log type and log date where they were missing.

For the record, I'd still to see:

1. The subject for new cache notifications more similar to the other notifications. I understand that Groundspeak wants to differentiate new caches from the rest so instead of the original "[GEO] Notify: " how about "[GEO] New cache: "? As I said at the time, I'd also like to see the PQ emails revert to their similar and original format.

2. The data items in the emails should appear in the same order for all notifications. At the moment the cache name for new caches is nicely structured but for all other notifications it's in a sentence with the notification name which on the published log is nicely structured at the bottom of the email. Consistency, please.

3. The date formatted according to the user's preference from their profile. The same comment applies to the distance. As there are profile preferences to set both of these they should be respected in all communications and presentations from Groundspeak.

4. The "Created by" and "Published by" on new caches aren't links as they are on other types of notification. Please could these be added.

All in all, the revision is a great improvement. Thanks again.

As I said in the Other Forum, this -- if sent as text/plain instead of HTML -- looks awesome. Better than the "traditional" notification. The HTML still kills it, but if that can be made optional, I'm sold.

I'm with EngPhil: it is actually an improvement IF sent as text/plain. I'm glad you changed the subject lines back - but it's still HTML and it doesn't work for most of us... :-(

So despite changing the subject lines I still don't see it as an improvement - UNLESS I can recieve e-mail als text/plain. THEN (and only then...) there is an actual improvement, namely the format of Publish Notificiation.

TFThatFormat,

Lemonjr

Morning and shoveling breakfast into my face... looking through the logs notes sent overnight and to be blunt the HTML is fail. Really, a near perfect system was replaced by a very flawed one. Hoping to see formatted text content return.

HTML is a small percent of my overall email, home and work, each day and usually it's spam and I wouldn't read it anyway. Almost everything that gets business actually done is clear text. (tho some authors are still bad enough to write monster paragraphs with run-on sentences, we don't all subscribe to The Elements of Style of Strunk & White)

{snip}

... but it's still HTML and it doesn't work for most of us... :-(

Most of us? Really? That's a pretty broad assumption. Most of those replying on this forum topic, perhaps.

Although I agree we should have the choiuce of HTML or text, I'm cool either way. It took me 3, maybe 4 messages to get used to the new format.

I've got MUCH bigger things to be concerned about.

Whether most or a few, the HTML email is the only option now, and if there's a clear portion of forum commenters who have legitimate concerns with broken email use - reading or managing - then guaranteed there are many more outside these forums, and something needs to be fixed.

I'm afraid to look at the HTML syntax in the email :P but that's ultimately inconsequential. The fact that many users' mere reading of the email in their email program/service is blatantly broken (displayed as anything BUT the intended HTML layout) is a major problem. They can't do anything about it.

This is why a text-only version is good. And having the option to choose either is certainly beneficial for all.

Edited by thebruce0

I like the new format you posted, but I was confused why it wasn't being used only in the publication e-mail and not for the other e-mails. Finally I realized that the answer is probably that someone is thinking the title as the first thing in the intro text makes it unnecessary to put the title in its own line with its own tag as is done for publications. Well, they're wrong. I'm scanning these messages one after another, and I'm expecting all the same information to be presented in the table no matter why you're sending me e-mail about the cache. The messages should all be consistent. The intro text seems friendly, but it just gets in the way.