Outdoor Safety

kvhollis

I'm putting together a presentation and looking for any serious suggestions / thoughts / recommendations / best practices / etc. that I may have not thought of for Outdoor Safety..

Examples include:

- Letting someone know

- Communications protocol

- What to do if lost

- Signaling

I'm been working on a quiz to be on the screen before the presentation that has questions (true / false, multiple choice, etc.). Feel free to post ideas here as well along with the answer.

- Moss always grows on the north side of trees. <couldn't resist> <"true">

I'd be more than happy to share for others post event if anyone would be interested.

I'm putting together a presentation and looking for any serious suggestions / thoughts / recommendations / best practices / etc. that I may have not thought of for Outdoor Safety..

Examples include:

- Letting someone know

- What to do if lost

- Signaling

I'm been working on a quiz to be on the screen before the presentation that has questions (true / false, multiple choice, etc.). Feel free to post ideas here as well along with the answer.

I'd be more than happy to share for others post event if anyone would be interested.

Though I'm the first to believe outdoor safety is important, what does your "quiz" have to do with the How Do I ("Wondering how the site works or how to accomplish some geocaching-related task? Ask your fellow geocachers here.") forums ?

Though I'm the first to believe outdoor safety is important, what does your "quiz" have to do with the How Do I ("Wondering how the site works or how to accomplish some geocaching-related task? Ask your fellow geocachers here.") forums ?

Is there a forum better related to Safety? I certainly didn't see one. I figured this would be the best one for multiple reasons one of which is more people would check this out rather than other forums.

However, let me know which safety forum would be the best to use and I'll post over there so not to bother you.

Ask your fellow geocachers here.") forums ?

I did.

Edited by kvhollis

Examples include:

- Letting someone know

- What to do if lost

- Signaling

This is what I came up with as a perfect solution.

DeLorme Inreach SE

Then all you have to do is let your contact people know that they are on your list and that if something happens they will get a notification.

The Incredibles activated the Snoog Signal....

Snoogans is our local safety expert.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=106882

1c1d08c4-2f23-4560-b675-93a7f152e0bd.jpg?rnd=0.4144711

Depends on what you are doing outdoors. I have a geocaching safety page on Facebook: Responsible Geocaching Safety & Preparedness... https://www.facebook.com/Geocaching.Safety

Other than what the OP listed....

Hydration is probably the most important thing you can address. I use pee charts and recognizing the symptoms of heat related illness. Here is a long read on the subject but well worth your time.

Identifying poisonous plants, insects, spiders, and snakes.

How to perform a tick check.

Signaling- carry a whistle, cell phone etc.

Knowing your own physical limitations.

I get most of my material on this subject from the CDC/NIOSH website @ CDC.gov. Everything you need is there including how to survive a Zombie Apocalypse.

Edited by Snoogans

Security of your vehicle is another concern. Always lock the vehicle, take your valuables with you, and hide anything else you won't be taking.

Sometimes cache pages will alert you to crime in the nearby parking area.

I found a shortcut to the APE cache and parked there during GW8, because crime at the trailhead parking was rampant and mentioned on all the nearby cache pages. I had more than 5k worth of electronics and other stuff with me on my nearly 9000 mile journey that I didn't want to lose and no hotel room until later that day, so I found a spot .3 from the cache and hiked up from there. The trail parking was like 4+ miles away. Needles to say, my car didn't get hit, but plenty other people lost stuff that day and over the weekend. A few people overheard my plan and we met either at the cache or on the way back. I saved my stuff and an 7+ mile hike and had the rest of the day to play.

Solo female hiker here...

I use a totally free web service called iNeverSolo where I list my hike plan, my supplies, my intended route, my clothes and equipment, etc,

When I being my hike I start the timer that I have set for myself. I can check in at any point along the way (assuming I have service, which I normally don't) but if my timer runs out without me logging in and ending my plan, then everyone on my designated list get an email saying I didnt check in and complete my hike.

My people on my list get an email when I start as well.

It's not the only thing I do ;) and it's not the only thing I rely on. It's just *another* tool I use while on the trail

Solo female hiker here...

I use a totally free web service called iNeverSolo where I list my hike plan, my supplies, my intended route, my clothes and equipment, etc,

When I being my hike I start the timer that I have set for myself. I can check in at any point along the way (assuming I have service, which I normally don't) but if my timer runs out without me logging in and ending my plan, then everyone on my designated list get an email saying I didnt check in and complete my hike.

My people on my list get an email when I start as well.

It's not the only thing I do ;) and it's not the only thing I rely on. It's just *another* tool I use while on the trail

That's way cool. I almost always wilderness hike alone.

I just wanted to say a word of thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. There were some really good responses. I had a great presentation at MWGB and added content not only just for outdoor safety but also for indoor (we all live somewhere I would seem to think)and traveling safety. I figured that would make it a very well rounded presentation and it really turned out that way as well.

If anyone is seriously interested in the slide deck I'd be more than happy to share except for the "nay sayers" who troll the forums and have nothing positive to share. . .

I just wanted to say a word of thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. There were some really good responses. I had a great presentation at MWGB and added content not only just for outdoor safety but also for indoor (we all live somewhere I would seem to think)and traveling safety. I figured that would make it a very well rounded presentation and it really turned out that way as well.

If anyone is seriously interested in the slide deck I'd be more than happy to share except for the "nay sayers" who troll the forums and have nothing positive to share. . .

I'd love to see, if you don't mind. I run a workshop/presentation at a local youth conference every year, usually about geocaching rolleyes.gif, so I'd love to see you've done!

OK, I guess I should answer the OP's question.

I bring a cellphone with me and make sure where I'm going has cell reception.

I bring bear spray and a hiking stick.

I bring a compass in case my GPS dies and I'm lost. When I'm hiking, I try not to depend too much on my GPS as I know I might lose/damage it. I try to make sure I am paying attention to which trails I took so I could find my way back if necessary.

I bring standard first aid stuff including triangular bandages. I've got a swiss army knife and tick tweezers with instructions for removing ticks.

I bring water and snacks.

I'm not that good about telling my family where I'll be going, but I plan to get a bit better about that and leave a note on my computer with this info.

Something I learned recently - bad things don't always happen on long hikes, so you should bring your supplies every trip, no matter how short. I ran into a bear recently when I was only 150 meters from the cachemobile. Of course, I hadn't brought anything with me (including bear spray) since I was only go up the trail 300 meters. :rolleyes:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I think my biggest 'pet peeve' (in a variety of outdoor hobbies) - is DON'T GO ALONE!!

Not because people aren't capable of preparing or physically or mentally not cable of it...

But because:

Animals & Insects - You get attacked. Spider bites, snake bites, animal attacks... If the situation is bad enough, you won't be able to reach for your cell phone and call for help. Even if you're able to call - what if you don't have cell service? By the time your family & friends realize you haven't returned from your journey, it's too late.

Slips, Trips, falls, etc. - You fall & break a leg, your legs/arms give out, you fall and hit your head knocking you out, you have a seizure or other medical condition, or some freak accident. Once again...you might not be able to call someone. Again....By the time your family & friends realize you haven't returned from your journey, it's too late.

You can't prepare for everything - but if you have another person with you, you're chances of survival are much greater!!!!

I think my biggest 'pet peeve' (in a variety of outdoor hobbies) - is DON'T GO ALONE!!

How would that be a pet peeve of yours if it's not really affecting you?

Driving is dangerous too, but we all do it without agonizing over the risks.

We all choose to live with a certain amount of risk. It's up to the individual to decide which risks they want to take.

Slips, Trips, falls, etc. - You fall & break a leg, your legs/arms give out, you fall and hit your head knocking you out, you have a seizure or other medical condition, or some freak accident. Once again...you might not be able to call someone. Again....By the time your family & friends realize you haven't returned from your journey, it's too late.

OK, so I fall and break a leg? I call for help with my cellphone. Hit my head? Certainly possible, although even if I did, it would be unlikely that I would be unconscious for long. I guess I could wear a helmet if I was really worried about that.

As for animal attacks, we don't have any poisonous insects or snakes here. We do have some brown recluse and black widow but they are rare and will not kill you instantly. The main concern here is cougars and bears. I generally don't go into bear country, but if I do, we only have black bears here and they are generally not a problem (take a look at the statistics).

Cougar attacks are rare. More much rare than the chance of getting into a car accident.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Not because people aren't capable of preparing or physically or mentally not cable of it...

But because:

Animals & Insects - You get attacked. Spider bites, snake bites, animal attacks... If the situation is bad enough, you won't be able to reach for your cell phone and call for help. Even if you're able to call - what if you don't have cell service? By the time your family & friends realize you haven't returned from your journey, it's too late.

You can't prepare for everything - but if you have another person with you, you're chances of survival are much greater!!!!

The same things can happen while caching in a park. People may just think I'm asleep.

To do nothing alone...is ridiculous. I won't live that kind of sheltered life, tyvm