Still missing after all this time?

Steve Dogan

Post a Needs Maintenance log.

Explain you were with a cacher that has found the cache previously.

Explain what's wrong, eg Part 1 missing

Wait. If no action is taken, post Needs Archived.

There are those that say you need to post a DNF log as well...

(That's another discussion! :ph34r: )

Was that last comment for me so I don't start another similar topic again? :)

If so, thanks. I'm still new at chat room stuff.

Partly! :laughing:

The theory is:

If you look for a cache, but don't find it, you should post a DNF (Did Not Find) log.

This will alert the cache owner, and other cachers, that there might be a problem.

A DNF on it's own doesn't mean the cache isn't there, or that there is a problem with it.

(Always helpful if you can give a brief description of why you didn't find it. eg "Getting late and my favourite TV programme was due to start" or "Too many muggles around today" or "Looked, but no luck")

Just because YOU don't find it, doesn't mean it's missing, or that maintenance is required...

However, as you have been back with a cacher that HAS found it previously, it's a good bet it IS (or MAY BE) missing.

Too many cachers don't find a cache, but don't post a DNF.

The cache owner is then not aware that there may be a problem...

There's lots of discussion/argument on the forum about posting DNFs. Plenty of people just don't log DNFs (for all sorts of reasons, but mostly embarrassment, I suspect). It's your call whether you do or you don't. There are valid reasons for logging a DNF (it can be helpful to the CO and to future cachers who also can't find it), but this is, after all, a recreational activity and if it bugs you to log a DNF, then don't (and don't feel guilty about it).

I'd post a "Needs Maintenance" log with the details mentioned above. Some people will wait a month or so and then follow up with a "Needs Archived" log if the cache owner doesn't do anything. I would give it more like a year before logging a "Needs Archived" (if ever), because NA logs tend to greatly upset some people. Totally your call..there's nothing wrong with logging a NA in that circumstance, and in fact it's a good thing (either the negligent owner gets off their duff and does something or their cache gets archived, opening up that area for someone who'll hopefully do a better job of maintaining their cache).

Where did the OP say the experienced friend had found it... it is implied perhaps since they were sure the piece was missing, and how would they be able to IF they had not found it previously. I'm wondering if they helped the OP complete the task, since they might have the required information somewhere (notes?).

Perhaps they know the hider and their status. Who knows better than them. Sounds like a multi and stages vanish or become unusable over time... I got to one a while back where the numbers had faded with time, but was able to eventually get them. The owner went and re printed them, maintenance completed.

Rest of the thread answers, mostly,are on track. Not all cache hiders stick around, or care about their caches.

Doug 7rxc

Is this involving the same cache as your other two threads:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=313235

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=313524

I think you should post a "DNF" (did not find) log.

Perhaps you might like to contact the cache owner for a hint.

But starting multiple threads about the same cache is not recommended, as the moderator explained to you previously.

B.

Well, went back out by my favorite geo :) yesterday with someone with a lot more experience than me and she even agreed with me that the one by the park in Sherwood, Wis. is missing -at least the first piece is. Now.....what is the next step in having it fixed? There is also one by "1 = 7" or "7 = 1" (or something like that) hid in a local pet cemetery which we both agreed was gone. So who do I tell what to exactly?

Steve, you were given loads of advice in your other thread(s), advice that you have chosen to ignore because of your obsession with this single cache. You can log a Needs Maintenance or a Needs Archived, but those that are in charge of looking at such things will probably dismiss it because you have never found a cache, any cache.

Go and find some caches! You have taken what can be a fun and entertaining game and made it something that is frustrating to you because you insist on finding the very first cache you looked for, before going on and looking for any others. The most important lesson that any geocacher can learn is that they DO NOT have to find every cache.

My favorite :) one is apparently still missing. I forget the coordinates off hand but it's supposed to be in that park in Sherwood, Calumet County, Wisconsin. According to my toy it should be under the shelter in the park in the south east corner if my directions are right. The toy took me to the corner of the shelter where a trash can is but it ain't on or under it, there's no holes in the brick wall to stuff it. I'm thinking it wouldn't be inside the air vent for the washrooms on the wall up near the ceiling. (At least I didn't see nothing.)It ain't under the counter or under any of the picnic tables. I don't think it could be on the ceiling anywhere because frankly I don't think even a basket ball player could reach that without bringing his own ladder.

I think there's supposed to be 2 of them around that park.....one of those "one leads to the other" kind. Well, in that case, no one's ever going to find #2 if they can't get #1. This has me -and a few other people who know much more about this than me- totally lost. Has it just been missing unreported for a couple years?

:unsure: I looked in Legion, State and County parks and I couldn't find one on / near a shelter per Landsat. I also couldn't find a park with only two. I am curious of the use of the term "toy". Are we talking about a geomate with out of date caches perhaps?

We are gonna need the geocache code or coords to be much help.

Edited by mrreet

Seems to me that you kicked this can around last year.. using a different name.

I can see that nobody has found it this calendar year... but then, there has only been two DNF logs filed. Heaven knows if anyone else has tried. You still haven't logged a DNF under either of your user-names.

It isn't a multi-cache at all. You are reading something into the hint that it doesn't mean.

It's a good hint if you don't think too hard about it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

No, "toy" is just my cute way of saying "hand held GPS thing". And yes Gitchee that was me. I had a problem with signing in and finding my account. I'm not too good at all this internet chat room stuff, so sorry if I broke any etiquette rules by making a new screen name -didn't mean to just wasn't sure how else to fix it. Am I correct by what you wrote about "...no one has found it in a year" that you were looking at the one I'm referring to on the list? I didn't see it. I think it was called "a bit out of reach" or something like that....? I could've sworn this one was a 2 part thing....the first had a little tiny part to it ("micro" I think you call it), the 2nd part was in a bottle or something.

Anywho....

Darn! :( Actually I'm not sure if it's listed here anymore now that I scan over the listing. It was the one in Sherwood by the new Dick's grocery store. Wanick park I believe it's called. Off Hwy. 114 behind the little car wash and the Outpost bar. Originally I thought it was up in a 30 or 40 foot high rope thing ("spider web" I think people kept calling it.)

I don't see it listed or I'd give the coordinates. I know what it was titled but I can't think of it off hand. I suppose I could take a drive over there tomorrow with my toy and write down the #'s as far as where it is (or was, or should be, or....)

Edited by jfpinell

There used to be earlier this year and last year. I know I seen it listed. In fact, that WAS the one that I was going on about last year with everyone. Did it get (re?)moved? I remember everyone telling me "It's NOT in the spider web!". In fact there are at least 2 others I know of that were looking.

(Don't ask me why I'm so attached to or hung up on this one. Maybe it's due to it being so close to me or so much of a challenge.)

Darn it! :(

HEY! That gives me an idea though! *wiggles eyebrows*

.....if only I can figure out how to publish that there's a new one there and hide one there.

Honestly, I know people say you don't have to find caches to be able to hide one...but in this case, you seriously need to find some before even thinking about hiding any. You need to get to know the ins and outs of how a geocache can be hidden.

I think the cache you're think of is:

NanoRegular

It hadn't been found since 10/18/2012 and was finally archived 5/04/2014.

That's the one. It was a good cache but not one I'd obsess over for a few years, especially considering High Cliff State Park is right next door and there are enough good caches there to keep you busy for awhile.

Seriously, OP...you didn't find any caches under your old screen name (unless you don't log your finds) and you haven't found any under this new name. Perhaps you might want to, oh, I don't know...try looking for a different cache?

Yeah! Nano regulator! Thanks! :)

I haven't quite gotten the hang of logging stuff and all the other technicalities of this. I just go out and (try to) look. I have problems zeroing in on both coordinates quite often and don't get anywhere because often it looks like you'd have to walk across a ton of private property or through fields or whatever. Often it seems like there's no where to park without having to walk for a mile or 2. That's another reason I guess I'm hung up on this one (and a couple others) I *KNOW* I can get to.

Unless I misunderstood the log it looks like someone found WP1 (is that the first half?) on May 4 2014. That's why it makes me think it's been there hiding all this time. Or am I not understanding the log right?

Edited by jfpinell

I'm more confused than ever now....

Between this thread and the other one you started, and the difficulties you are describing, I'm getting the impression that you really don't understand how to navigate to a given set of coordinates using your "toy". I'm very confused with how you are describing going to the first (north) coordinate and THEN going to the other coordinate (west)...you should be navigating to a POINT that involves BOTH coordinates. So I'm really not understanding exactly HOW you are doing this...along with your comments about ending up a couple of miles away through the woods, and what seems to be some confusion about caches that no longer exist and the difference between a Traditional and a Multi, I'm wondering if you might need a little help.

What you might want to do, and this is just a suggestion, is see if you can contact one of the local active cachers and get some hands-on tutoring in how to navigate using a GPS. You can look at some of your local cache listing pages to see who the local active CO's are, and contact them via their profiles, or possibly check to see if there's a local Geocaching active on Facebook or something like that.

It's hard to decipher what you're doing wrong but it's fairly obvious you're doing something wrong....

Also, do you have any topo maps installed on your Etrex? Most handheld GPS devices come with a very rudimentary base map that only shows major highways and waterways. If that's the case then I can see how you are puzzled about how to get to the location.....with a more detailed map you can see the local streets and it would be a lot easier to figure out how to DRIVE as near as possible to the location before getting out on foot for the final approach.

With only base maps you won't have any idea what lies between you and the cache or whether it's possible to drive to a nearby parking area closer to the cache.

Between this thread and the other one you started, and the difficulties you are describing, I'm getting the impression that you really don't understand how to navigate to a given set of coordinates using your "toy". I'm very confused with how you are describing going to the first (north) coordinate and THEN going to the other coordinate (west)...you should be navigating to a POINT that involves BOTH coordinates. So I'm really not understanding exactly HOW you are doing this...along with your comments about ending up a couple of miles away through the woods, and what seems to be some confusion about caches that no longer exist and the difference between a Traditional and a Multi, I'm wondering if you might need a little help.

What you might want to do, and this is just a suggestion, is see if you can contact one of the local active cachers and get some hands-on tutoring in how to navigate using a GPS. You can look at some of your local cache listing pages to see who the local active CO's are, and contact them via their profiles, or possibly check to see if there's a local Geocaching active on Facebook or something like that.

It's hard to decipher what you're doing wrong but it's fairly obvious you're doing something wrong....

What they are doing is going to the North coordinate and then keeping that distance as zero, heading to the west coordinate until it reaches zero.

So if they were in Austin, TX and wanted to go to NYC, they would head north until the N distance was zero and then they would head east until that distance said zero. Make sense?

You and I would just head to the coordinate where N&W distances are both zero.

What they are doing is going to the North coordinate and then keeping that distance as zero, heading to the west coordinate until it reaches zero.

So if they were in Austin, TX and wanted to go to NYC, they would head north until the N distance was zero and then they would head east until that distance said zero. Make sense?

You and I would just head to the coordinate where N&W distances are both zero.

That's kind of what i figured.....I can see why the OP is getting frustrated....

Also, do you have any topo maps installed on your Etrex? Most handheld GPS devices come with a very rudimentary base map that only shows major highways and waterways. If that's the case then I can see how you are puzzled about how to get to the location.....with a more detailed map you can see the local streets and it would be a lot easier to figure out how to DRIVE as near as possible to the location before getting out on foot for the final approach.

I disagree that you need topo or street maps loaded on your "toy". People have been quite successfully geocaching without these since 2001 when there wasn't smart phones and most GPSr's were very basic seldom having these features. Adding these to your "toy", I believe, would just add to your confusion on using it. Instead, use your computer to look up the cache, view the street map given and note where the cache is located relative to the streets (print out the description and map if that helps), then drive to the closest suitable parking spot, and use your "toy" from there.

I agree that your best bet is to contact a local cacher to get help in using your "toy". It sounds like you're just wandering around trying to match the coordinates on your GPSr with those given on the cache description. That is a very difficult way to do it. There should be a way to enter the exact coordinates into your "toy" and then select "GoTo" which will bring up an arrow on your screen which will point you in the direction you need to walk to get to the cache.

The arrow will point directly at the cache (bee line), but you might need to walk in a slightly different direction to avoid obstacles such as brush, rivers, buildings, fences, etc. The arrow will update as you walk around these obstacles. Also, depending on if your "toy" has a built-in compass, you may need to walk several feet in one direction before the arrow reads correctly. Without a built-in compass, you will also want to avoid abrupt turns as much as possible. Once again, getting a one-on-one tutorial from a local cacher would be best as they can show you how all of this is done.

jfpinell,

What model of "toy" do you have? Someone here with the same (or similar) model might be able to get you started on using your "toy" correctly.

I have an old (dinosaur) Garmin eTrex Legend (transparent blue case) and the owners manual was not very helpful about how to digitally enter coordinates.

Edited by medoug

What model of "toy" do you have? Someone here with the same (or similar) model might be able to get you started on using your "toy" correctly.

I have an old (dinosaur) Garmin eTrex Legend (transparent blue case) and the owners manual was not very helpful about how to digitally enter coordinates.

They have a Garmin Etrex10.

They said this in the other thread they have going about the same subject.

Edited by ngrrfan

I FOUND IT! (No, not the thing itself -if that were the case I'd be in need of CPR) :) Here:

N 44 10.698

W 088 16.337

My toy might be a bit off....it gave me "10.699" and "10.696" and "16.339". but it's in that area within a few foot steps. It's right in the same corner where that trash can used to be. The driveway is roped off yet but you can park in the grocery store lot & walk in across the street. I guess what I don't understand is, the wall is concrete block (that fancy looking stuff), the wood slats above that are all too shallow & narrow to put anything in. The few knot holes in the wood beams are too small to put any kind of a container. I recall it saying that "shorties need not apply" so it must be above the level of the concrete anyway -nor would it be under a picnic table anyway then. If you're following the description of the way that pavilion looks, I can't see where there'd be anyplace to stick it so it stays put. It also says it is NOT magnetic -so that leaves out it being hidden in the ventilation grills on the sides (it ain't in those anyway). There is a log that says (from this last May I believe -WELL AFTER it was reported missing) that it was found if I understood right. But then several other ones before that saying it ain't there anymore. Like uhh, which is it? :/

Anywho....ngrrfan, you're right if I'm understanding you......I'm walking from about 44 10.090 (number off the top of my head) watching the #'s go up & up until it gets to 10.698 (actual as noted above). Then I turn 90 degrees and do the same thing to hit 16.377 from where I am. And I wind up in the corner where that can was. That's how I've been trying to do ALL of them so far. But as soon as I get close to N coordinate the W coordinate starts going farther away. If I try to zero the W first, the N starts going farther away. Or if I Get to say the N, then I'll turn 90 degrees but to get to W I'd have to often walk through backyards or other terrain. I'm trying to get BOTH of them as close as I can while still driving but the roads never co-operate! :) Am I making sense as to what/how I'm doing this? I take it that ain't the best way?

By the way, all the ones in High Cliff State Park I tried the same way but the trails don't co-operate either :) As soon as I try starting in 1 direction the walking trail turns in another direction and I lose what I gained.

Edited by jfpinell

The nearest listed active cache is about 2 tenths of a mile from those coordinateates. Maybe the suggestion to find a local cacher to help you out would be a good plan.

Also, it is generally bad for to describe the location of a cache in such detail. That kinda gives away the search for other finders.

OK....I'll attempt to explain again...the cache you are seeking is probably not there. The nearest listed geocache is .2 miles from that location (over 1000 feet). The cache you are seeking has been ARCHIVED, meaning it is no longer in play, meaning it is no longer there, or at least there shouldn't be anything there.

I think you're wasting your time looking for this one....move on to another one.

K13 Oh. Shoot. Well, the only reason I gave out those coordinates was that they're already listed on the main description. Sorry if I messed anything up. But given how so many are insisting it's not there....

You got me wondering narcissa, what can't I be serious about? Some of us are just more determined I guess :)

Chief, I know what you're saying about it's probably not there it's just that I've read a few other log notes that unless I'm misunderstanding, seem to say different. There was 1 recent about "WP1 is still there". I think I know which one you're referring to about 1000 feet away. That one ain't in the park itself, more toward.....how do I put this properly here....in deer & bear country. That ain't revealing is it I hope? I found that one off that trail about a year + ago with someone (who I hardly ever get to see).

I sent a note to the one who put it there originally to see if I get an answer on it, as well as to the one who said WP1 is still there (or words to that effect).

Maybe *I* should stuff one there in its place :) (I'm actually VERY tempted to do so!) I don't know how to list it here though.

Maybe *I* should stuff one there in its place :) (I'm actually VERY tempted to do so!) I don't know how to list it here though.

Hi jfpinell,

PLEASE do NOT attempt to hide a geocache until after you find a few more and better understand how your "toy" works.

I have given (as good as I can) step-by-step instructions on how to geocache with your unit in the post that you started in the "How To..." section of this forum. Please give those directions a try on some other caches in your area. I don't think we can help you much more than what we've provided you already through this forum. Beyond that, definitely don't be afraid to contact a fellow cacher in your area for some one-on-one instruction on geocaching. Geocachers are usually a helpful bunch.

I'm wondering where you are getting the coordinates for this cache. It is not listed on the <strike>Ground display</strike> Groundspeak site.

If you are thinking about placing a cache, PLEASE read the guidelines a few times so you understand the process of listing the cache here <strike>ANDROID</strike> AND so you are very familiar with what is expected of a cache owner after the listing get is published (so you know what you are getting yourself into).<br><br><br><br>(Edited to fix the Tablet's autoText feature)<br>

Edited by K13

Just curious....what's wrong with hiding one? Is it the complexity of adding it to the list here or might I stuff it in a place that could be considered illegal? If it's in the same place as the last one it shouldn't be an issue should it?

Groundspeak recommends a person find over 20 caches prior to placing one. I guess so the person will have an idea about what makes for good hides, good containers, and such.

As to placing one where the old one used to be, what if it was removed due to the property manager denying permission, or some other issue like that? To place a cache, you have to obtain permission to place it there from the property manager or owner. Just one of the bits of cache placing.

To assist those reading along, I've merged all the threads started by Steve Dogan about this now-archived cache into this one. The jfpinell account appears to be the same person.

Next, I'm moving the entire potluck stew of munged threads into the Midwest forum. Six A thread about an archived cache in Wisconsin with this amount of staying power is of regional interest at best.

Free pass for the separate account (which I believe to be a genuine user error) and for starting another thread after being asked last year not to do so. I think I've got all my merging out of my system.

K13, Yeah, I figured the "permission" thing. I know the Town Administrator and several in the office on a first name basis for years so I don't think they'll say no when I ask them. :) (I mean since the site's been under (re)construction obviously find out if they'll care.)

I'm looking for: N 44° 10.697 W 088° 16.338 From what I've been able to gather, it's somewhere in a big "spider web" in a local park playground. If it's up there, I can't climb those due to back issues and balance! Can I get help from a local? (Sherwood, Wis. USA) Is it up there, or is it somewhere else in the park

:mad:

Steve: This is random and unrelated to your post, but did you just place a cache in Sherwood? I believe I saw your name listed as the owner. I claimed the FTF on it! It had me stumped for a minute until I thought about the cache name. Good stuff.