New Notification Format

stebu

3) Is it really necessary to display the distance in miles and kilometers? I set a preference in my account which indicates I want to see distance as feet/miles. Why not use that?

Because that would require looking up the preferences for each notification email. You might as well look up a preference for email to be sent as HTML or text. :unsure:

And before anyone says you have to to look up the user anyhow to create the distance (or some other apparent customization) that is probably not how it is done.

Instead I would imagine that each cache has list of what emails need to be sent out when a cache is logged. That list is likely a list of indexes into an email table that includes a pointer or a GUID to the reason for the email. That could be the owner, the watchlist, the particular bookmark list, or the notification request. The entire email can be built using data here which changes only when: the cacher gets a new cache published, a cache is a adopted, a cache is added or removed from a watchlist or bookmark list, a bookmark list is renamed or the 'notify me when items are logged' check box gets checked or unchecked, a notification request is edited, and possibly when a user's membership status changes (some emails are PMO). You could certainly add additional preferences to the email table so that this is available when the email is generated, but that would be a different task that just saying that they already know you prefer km to miles.

I'm sorry you can't see it. The old text message was text, just like every other piece of mail everyone gets, so you had to actually look at the words to discover it was a GS message.

Well, yes, that is generally how I discover what words mean.

by simple user interface standards they are objectively better, just as a graphical user interface is better than a text based one.

I do not agree that, necessarily, a "graphical user interface is better than a text based one". In fact, in my line work work, I routinely eschew the graphical interfaces that I could use to perform many tasks because the commandline/text interfaces provide a much more efficient, easier way to work.

the stupid social media tags are an objective way it is better if you think having social media tags is a good thing.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I'm sorry you can't see it. The old text message was text, just like every other piece of mail everyone gets, so you had to actually look at the words to discover it was a GS message.

Well, yes, that is generally how I discover what words mean.

laughing.gif

And do you know what HTML looks like on a paperless device stand alone GPS that accepts GPX file? Clearly HQ thinks everyone uses a smartphone.

It took me awhile to know what you meant by paperless device, and I only knew because I've been around long enough.

It's true that some GPS manufacturers decided not to fully support HTML when they put in code to accept cache description via GPX files. Generally they just ignore tags they don't support, though initially many had browsers that would crash on certain web pages.

I won't argue that you need to upgrade you GPS even if you don't want to go to smartphone caching, because the response will be "why should I have to". I long for the day when Dave Ulmer posted a text message on a USENET bulletin board to announce a geocache. Why would anyone need anything different.

I got a new cache published notification tonight.

The header of the email looked like this:

New Traditional Cache: green hill (GC5A47K), 8.9mi W (14.4km W)‏

It is very good, actually to have the distance in the header so I can know at a glance whether it makes

sense to go for a FTF or not.

Changes I would like:

1) the "New" would be better as [NEW] to make it stand out more

2) the GC code really doesn't need to be included in the header. It adds unnecessary clutter. Having it in the email is enough

3) Is it really necessary to display the distance in miles and kilometers? I set a preference in my account which indicates I want to see distance as feet/miles. Why not use that?

I agree, this is kind of stupid. I would prefer just to see 'km'.

Hmmm... seems like HQ is really trying to push HTML. I just noticed this post to their blog: Give Your Cache Page a Makeover

They're acting the exact same way a middle schooler does when they learn a new piece of potty language, if you know what I mean.blink.gif

And do you know what HTML looks like on a paperless device? Clearly HQ thinks everyone uses a smartphone.

If I were going to exclusively use a smartphone to find film pots behind signs I might as well use the same smartphone to find QR codes on the front of the signs and not have to worry about looking suspicious or what issues might be created if people misunderstood what I was doing peering behind signs.

I won't argue that you need to upgrade you GPS even if you don't want to go to smartphone caching, because the response will be "why should I have to". I long for the day when Dave Ulmer posted a text message on a USENET bulletin board to announce a geocache. Why would anyone need anything different.

For me this was one of the things that led me to believe people like me just aren't the target market any more.

I don't want to use a smartphone to just ask "what's near me right now", I want to go out for the day and go places where I want to use something more rugged than a smartphone. I want to save my smartphone batteries in case I need to make a phone call, rather than running them down with endless searches for "what's next" and liking each cache on faceache within a nanosecond of finding it.

If Groundspeak wants to leave their long-standing customers behind because they'd rather geocaching was a smartphone game than a game played with anything containing a GPS that's their call. Personally I think it will drive geocaching even further into the lowest-common-denominator than it has already gone, but it's not my company.

It certainly doesn't give me any reason to consider reactivating my now defunct premium membership.

I agree, this is kind of stupid. I would prefer just to see 'km'.

Sounds as something You can correct to make us happy. I prefer just "km" too.

Edited by puczmeloun

Because that would require looking up the preferences for each notification email. You might as well look up a preference for email to be sent as HTML or text. :unsure:

Do you really think that the required lookup is the reason why Groundspeak does not have any plans to offer a plain text option? I don't think so.

Otherwise, they could easily offer the option at least for the e-mail service and for the e-mails that get sent to the owner of a cache.

Unlike cache notifications and newsletters, one cannot switch off receiving logs as a cache owner per mail and one cannot avoid receiving e-mails from other cachers.

If there existed technical reasons for not offering a plain text option, it would be easy to provide an explanation which still has not been provided despite many requests.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
- create a new gmail account just for receiving messages

- create a gmail rule to tag all messages with [LOG] with a label such as GCLOGS

- go here https://www.google.com/script/start/ and click start scripting

- click blank project

- copy/paste the code below into the window, making sure to change the value of labelName to whatever you used

- fill in your real email address at the bottom

- save it

- click the little icon that looks like a watch

- click the link to add a trigger

- under Run select process, under Events time-driven, select minutes timer, and every minute (feel free to change the frequency to anything you want)

- click save

I followed your instruction and entered your script, and it works well.

The only thing I’m missing is the coord.info link to switch from the shortened notification on my iphone directly to the Groundspeak app to search a immediately published cache. Where and how do I have to enter something to get the link hidden in the 'Name:' line of the original publish mail?

Thanks in advance.

And do you know what HTML looks like on a paperless device stand alone GPS that accepts GPX file? Clearly HQ thinks everyone uses a smartphone.

It took me awhile to know what you meant by paperless device, and I only knew because I've been around long enough.

It's true that some GPS manufacturers decided not to fully support HTML when they put in code to accept cache description via GPX files. Generally they just ignore tags they don't support, though initially many had browsers that would crash on certain web pages.

Well, most everyone in our area has been using html in their cache descriptions since at least 2002.

- create a new gmail account just for receiving messages

- create a gmail rule to tag all messages with [LOG] with a label such as GCLOGS

- go here https://www.google.com/script/start/ and click start scripting

- click blank project

- copy/paste the code below into the window, making sure to change the value of labelName to whatever you used

- fill in your real email address at the bottom

- save it

- click the little icon that looks like a watch

- click the link to add a trigger

- under Run select process, under Events time-driven, select minutes timer, and every minute (feel free to change the frequency to anything you want)

- click save

I followed your instruction and entered your script, and it works well.

The only thing I’m missing is the coord.info link to switch from the shortened notification on my iphone directly to the Groundspeak app to search a immediately published cache. Where and how do I have to enter something to get the link hidden in the 'Name:' line of the original publish mail?

Thanks in advance.

Try using this script:

function process() {
 var labelName="GCLOGS";

var label = GmailApp.getUserLabelByName(labelName);
 var threads = label.getThreads();

for (var i=0; i<threads.length; i++)
 {
   var msgs = threads[i].getMessages();
   for (var m=0; m<msgs.length; m++)
   {
     var msg = msgs[m];
     var body = msg.getBody();
     var subject = msg.getSubject();
     var textBody = "";

var lines = body.split("\n");
     for (var l=0; l<lines.length; l++)
     {
       var line = lines[l];
       if (line.indexOf("Logged by") != -1 ||
           line.indexOf("Log Type") != -1 ||
         line.indexOf("Date:") != -1 ||
           line.indexOf("Location:") != -1 ||
             line.indexOf("Name:") != -1 ||
               line.indexOf("Distance:") != -1 ||
                 line.indexOf("Created by:") != -1 ||
             line.indexOf("Type:") != -1)
             textBody = textBody + line;
       else if (line.indexOf("Log</a>:</strong>") != -1)
         textBody = textBody + lines[l+1];
     }

// textBody and htmlBody are the same for now, but both stripped down versions of the original
     GmailApp.sendEmail('yourEmailAddressHere', subject, textBody, { htmlBody: textBody });   
     GmailApp.moveMessageToTrash(msg);
   }
 }
};

Distance ist completely missing in all Notification mails!

I have a lot of notifications (disable, enable, archive, should be archived...) and the distance was extremely helpful to remember resp. identify a cache. If only the name is given I often don't know where it is or if I have already found it etc. By the help of the distance it is (was!) much easier to know which cache it is...

I have a lot of notifications (disable, enable, archive, should be archived...) and the distance was extremely helpful to remember resp. identify a cache. If only the name is given I often don't know where it is or if I have already found it etc. By the help of the distance it is (was!) much easier to know which cache it is...

Yeah, I'm also missing the bearing and distance. I think someone thought it was only important for publication notices, but I want it on all the other notification messages.

This goes back to one of the first things I complained about: the notifications used to be more consistent because publication was just one kind of log notification. Now that they've split publication off into a special notification, they've attached some good ideas to publication and left some with the log notifications, but I contend a good idea's a good idea for either class.

I agree, HTML is a nice thing, BUT GIVE US AN OPTION, not what "Groundspeak lackeys think" because amazingly enough, some of the LACKEYS think that it's okay.

I spoke to one of them at Midwest Geobash and was told that "it was tested on several devices and that it worked".

Well, guess what, it doesn't.

apparently i'm not the only one that it doesn't work....with.

Anyone gotten some DECENT feedback from Groundspeak on this?

I agree, HTML is a nice thing, BUT GIVE US AN OPTION, not what "Groundspeak lackeys think" because amazingly enough, some of the LACKEYS think that it's okay.

I spoke to one of them at Midwest Geobash and was told that "it was tested on several devices and that it worked".

Ah yes, the most basic excuse of any developer who screwed something up, namely "well it works on my machine".

It would be comical if it weren't for real. But no matter, all anyone having problems has to do is replace their device with one that works. Perish the thought they might get a choice whether to retain the format that worked before.

For me this was one of the things that led me to believe people like me just aren't the target market any more.

I don't want to use a smartphone to just ask "what's near me right now", I want to go out for the day and go places where I want to use something more rugged than a smartphone. I want to save my smartphone batteries in case I need to make a phone call, rather than running them down with endless searches for "what's next" and liking each cache on faceache within a nanosecond of finding it.

If Groundspeak wants to leave their long-standing customers behind because they'd rather geocaching was a smartphone game than a game played with anything containing a GPS that's their call. Personally I think it will drive geocaching even further into the lowest-common-denominator than it has already gone, but it's not my company.

It certainly doesn't give me any reason to consider reactivating my now defunct premium membership.

I know that we have been at odds on many, many issues, but I am in total agreement here. I'm really starting to wonder about my signature line. It seems like soon, it may just be a smartphone game, and nothing else. Of course, the one day wonders are not going to be hiding a lot of caches, and the ones that they do hide will map out onto their neighbors roofs, so the business model seems flawed.

I read the earlier post about those that lived near the Canadian border that complained about this and really didn't understand the issues. Now that I have not been so consumed with with work, it's clear. While not on an International border, i live one mile away from a mountain range that separates me from the next valley, an area that I am nor really concerned about. I have a "Local Activity" notification set up and used to simply delete anything that said 2 mi N/W, or greater, because I knew it was on the other side of the mountain.

Now, if I'm not sure what cache it it is, I have to open it in my browser.

DUH!

Instead of testing in on several devices, perhaps they should have tested it it on several customers.

Groundspeak seems to live for the moment where they can spring this great surprises on on us. More times then not, it's a total flop. It seems that marketing is way ahead of engineering.

I read these forums right before I go to sleep, then I dream of Dilbert.

Edited by Don_J

I know that we have been at odds on many, many issues, but I am in total agreement here. I'm really starting to wonder about my signature line. It seems like soon, it may just be a smartphone game, and nothing else. Of course, the one day wonders are not going to be hiding a lot of caches, and the ones that they do hide will map out onto their neighbors roofs, so the business model seems flawed.

It's interesting to see how many people with very low post counts have appeared to protest this particular change. The fact that we've disagreed on so much in the past but are totally agreed on this is also interesting. Of course I suspect Groundspeak will see two data points and ignore them.

I read the earlier post about those that lived near the Canadian border that complained about this and really didn't understand the issues. Now that I have not been so consumed with with work, it's clear. While not on an International border, i live one mile away from a mountain range that separates me from the next valley, an area that I am nor really concerned about. I have a "Local Activity" notification set up and used to simply delete anything that said 2 mi N/W, or greater, because I knew it was on the other side of the mountain.

Now, if I'm not sure what cache it it is, I have to open it in my browser.

It doesn't even have to be something like a mountain range or international border. I live to the SW of London (England). A cache 15 miles west of me is easily doable by bicycle, while a cache 12 miles NE means fighting through the centre of town and all the traffic. It's doable but cycling through central London isn't something I'd do for fun - the combination of heavy traffic and traffic lights/junctions so frequently means it takes a lot more time and effort to get around. Not only that but being in an urban area means large numbers of local caches and the notifications never seemed to have an option to say "don't bother telling me about micros".

DUH!

Instead of testing in on several devices, perhaps they should have tested it it on several customers.

Groundspeak seems to live for the moment where they can spring this great surprises on on us. More times then not, it's a total flop. It seems that marketing is way ahead of engineering.

I read these forums right before I go to sleep, then I dream of Dilbert.

It might help if they had a "beta test" option so people could sign up to see what's in the pipeline and comment on it before it was inflicted on everybody at once. At least that way some testing might be done. If you choose to join the beta test group you get the first look at stuff but you also get to deal with the unresolved issues if it isn't quite finished yet.

Try using this script:

I did, it all went good.

My incoming mails are stripped from14224 bytes to 2676 bytes for the following example. For me they look very well and not uninformative in comparison to the html version on the iphone:

Before:

IMG_1885.png

After:

IMG_1884.png

And the iphone seems to be one of the devices which have almost no problems to show the html notifications.

Is there probly a method to sort the lines? Then, it would be possible to see those facts needed for an FTF already on the maillist view:

IMG_1886.png

For the html version I see: the useless sentence, the Cachename twice, the GC-code, the owner an the type twice.

For the plaintext I see (in the same Order but shortened) at the moment: Cachename twice, GC code, Owner, type twice, date and part of Location.

I would prefer

Cachename, owner, Distance (those living near borders eventually also the location.)

And, if possible, a method to delete the unused measuring unit miles vs. km, depending on the local behavior wouldn’t go amiss.

Hope I don’t demand to much from you.

Thank you very much for the already done work.

Added advertising and promotional links.

This snippet is exactly what I think they are going for. For those who say "listen to your paying customers", I think they are. It's just that cachers aren't the customers any more, we're the product. Just an opinion from a 10-year premium member with vision challenges who does not appreciate the high-handedness or the silliness that continues to emanate from GC HQ.

Mrs. Car54

This snippet is exactly what I think they are going for. For those who say "listen to your paying customers", I think they are. It's just that cachers aren't the customers any more, we're the product. Just an opinion from a 10-year premium member with vision challenges who does not appreciate the high-handedness or the silliness that continues to emanate from GC HQ.

Mrs. Car54

Re: Vision challenged. Here is a screenshot of a page you need to read before applying for a Groundspeak job. Just sayin'

3181c0f8-7db6-4ab7-b713-234c8493b8ee.jpg?rnd=0.3365551

Mrs. Car54

I'm still wondering whether a sellout to faceache or similar is on the cards. The way they clearly aren't listening to feedback, in the forums they set up apparently to generate feedback, makes it hard to assume anything other than that geocachers are the product rather than the paying customers.

Perhaps we ought to start flooding the facebook page because the Groundspeak staff seem to have abandoned this ship.

https://www.facebook.com/geocaching?fref=ts

M

FWIW, I just expressed my extreme displeasure on the Groundspeak page.. I will do the same on the Geocaching page..

The ideal solution would be a plaintext option. At the very least, a plaintext component to a mixed-mode email.

As it stands, this HTML-only garbage is nothing but SPAM. My mail client, running in a unix shell window, is not capable of rendering HTML, and all I see is the HTML source.

I was using this system long before Groundspeak existed, and I see no reason why I should have to change my email environment just because Groundspeak wants to be moronic.

My policy is simple. If an email is not readable in a text based mail client, it is SPAM, and is reported as such.

Just gonna put this here:

I had an awful experience with my Greyhound bus trip across the US this week. Been ranting about it all week over fb/twitter.

I posted a succinct comment to the Greyhound Facebook page (not inflammatory, but blunt, and a little tongue-in-cheek) - note that public user posts aren't visible by default on the FB page - and within a few minutes had a response from the social media team asking for a private communication regarding my experience so it could be dealt with.

Greyhound is far from smooth sailing in regards to public perception either...

(but, they are much, much bigger than Groundspeak)

Just sayin'

PS: I'm removing myself from the direct debate about the html emails, because it's just WAY to emotionally driven at this point. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Edited by thebruce0

Is there somewhere a place where users of geocaching.com can vote for or against text-mails and html-mails (or both)?

There are so many users requesting the "old" text format (as I do!) but I've not seen anybody saying: Oh, I like these HTML mails they are so useful and much better than the old plain text emails.

Is there somewhere a place where users of geocaching.com can vote for or against text-mails and html-mails (or both)?
Vote? No, Groundspeak doesn't do that any longer. Using a voting system gave users the mistaken impression that any idea with a lot of votes would be implemented in the next update, and any idea that was at all popular would be implemented shortly thereafter.

This forum is the place to give feedback though.

Vote? No, Groundspeak doesn't do that any longer. Using a voting system gave users the mistaken impression that any idea with a lot of votes would be implemented in the next update, and any idea that was at all popular would be implemented shortly thereafter.

Ah yes, the old voting system where the most popular items turned out to be to abandon the latest "innovation".

This forum is the place to give feedback though.

True, but you may get the sense that talking to the trees will have just as much effect on the development of the game. At least in here you can get a feel for what other people think even if it does appear that Groundspeak ignore anything they don't want to hear.

There are so many users requesting the "old" text format (as I do!) but I've not seen anybody saying: Oh, I like these HTML mails they are so useful and much better than the old plain text emails.

I prefer the new format. Not by a whole lot, but I do find it easier to read. Initially it wasn't due to the color choice, but now I can glance quickly at the email and get the information I'm looking for.

I don't get geocaching emails sent to my mobile device and several people have indicated they have problems. My initial reaction is that the new format would would very well on a mobile device, but I guess there is a possibility that the HTML is not using properties that adjust well to smaller screens. In that case, Groundspeak should consider that people are getting email to a variety of devices and select a format that works well.

IMO, text does not work well on many devices, though what may be the case is that people have gotten use the limitations there. In theory, TPTB should be able to come up with HTML that is better for everyone.

.... and as Clint also said, "Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands". Lil Devil's work certainly comes to mind.

While the folks writing Greasemonkey scripts have been making improvements to the functionality of the web site for years (and while gc.com keeps breaking them with their frequent changes), there's no simple solution for folks who get their email on phones that aren't cooperative with the new format.

Maybe it's problem of Gmail, or some bug of last release, but why, when were all messages from Groundspeak pushed into HTML form, there are not converted these BBCode things? We don't have option for plain text mails, but at same time these mails are not in full HTML, what sounds weird.

4ea9990b-6efa-4778-84b8-d91fdc79290d.gif

Edited by puczmeloun

My account has been hacked somewhere down the line.

Have been receiving emails in my spam folder with my user name wanting me to verify or go to a website. That included the coexistence with geocaching.com <declined and deleted forever in spam folder>

All corespondents was in HTML.

TXT will stop the phishing.. Please make the option.

.... and as Clint also said, "Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands". Lil Devil's work certainly comes to mind.

While the folks writing Greasemonkey scripts have been making improvements to the functionality of the web site for years (and while gc.com keeps breaking them with their frequent changes), there's no simple solution for folks who get their email on phones that aren't cooperative with the new format.

It's just a shame that so much of geocaching these days seems to revolve around third party solutions because Groundspeak can't get it right in the first place.

If we've got the chance to correct coordinates on things like puzzle caches, why can't we see which caches have corrected coordinates? It's a half-baked response, half a solution, that doesn't really solve anything.

If they've got the code to send HTML emails, we know they had the code to send text emails, why can't we have a choice which we receive? Many people like the HTML, many people hate it, so why can't both groups have the format that works for them?

It would make far more sense to introduce one feature and get it right than introduce two or three half-baked things that end up requiring more processing to be done in GSAK or other software. Someone more cynical than I might speculate about the existence of an agreement to keep GSAK alive by not implementing anything properly.

It's just a shame that so much of geocaching these days seems to revolve around third party solutions because Groundspeak can't get it right in the first place.

If we've got the chance to correct coordinates on things like puzzle caches, why can't we see which caches have corrected coordinates? It's a half-baked response, half a solution, that doesn't really solve anything.

If they've got the code to send HTML emails, we know they had the code to send text emails, why can't we have a choice which we receive? Many people like the HTML, many people hate it, so why can't both groups have the format that works for them?

It would make far more sense to introduce one feature and get it right than introduce two or three half-baked things that end up requiring more processing to be done in GSAK or other software. Someone more cynical than I might speculate about the existence of an agreement to keep GSAK alive by not implementing anything properly.